Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-17-2006, 11:01   #176
G20man32904
Deceased

Quote:
Originally posted by Critter
Hi,

I've got a few questions about a nice little adorable puppy my wife and kids found on the street starving and brought him home. He's growing up to be a Pitbull/Maltese mix and at 6 months is twice the size of our last rescue dog.

Other than chewing up everything that is not nailed down, and some things that are, he has not really had any behavior problems. My 15 year old daughter has taken a lot of time up with him as have I and he minds us well for the most part. Where my concern lies is one of the 'things' he chews on is my other dog! Now, at this point, I know he's playing and the other dog let's him know when he's had enough and he has been respecting that. He doesn't try to get the smaller dogs food until he leaves the area or take his Milkbone away from him, but I'm afraid this dominance thing is going to change. Even if it doesn't, at the very least he leaves the little dog full of slobber around the neck and ears and matts his hair up. I know it sounds stupid, but it aggrivates me more than the dog.

As a side note, when he began trying to chew the house, I had put cyane pepper on it, which he likes, and I have tried the bitter gels and sprays which he doesn;t like as much, but will lick them a little. As far as chew toys go, we have quite a few out there and the 'puppy' just pulls logs off of the woodpile and chews them.
Critter,
Again I apologize for the time its taken me to get back with you. A couple of things jumped out at me so I made them red above.
Do you see where I am going with this now?

Your fix is simple, keep the new pup on the leash attached to you or your daughter while in the house. Make sure he has something to chew on while you are not paying close attention to him. Think of him as a 3year old child. If you don't have something to entertain him, he WILL find something to do.

If you read this whole thread it describes how to do a proper taste correction. For instance, if the pup is chewing on a small kitchen rug, apply the bitter liquid to a corner and while sopping wet, stuff it in the puppies mouth and hold his mouth closed for about 10 seconds all the while telling him no in stern but not scary voice. After that let him alone to think things over (on the leash, attached to you) and I would be suprised if he ever chewed anything again with that stuff on it.

Also, get enrolled a puppy class if you have a Pet Supermarket in your area. The socialization will help all of you deal with the dog around other dogs.
Let me know how it goes
Mike
Old 11-17-2006, 15:02   #177
Critter
Patriot Customs

Thanks Mike. I considered a class that PetCo does, 1 hour a week for 6 weeks, that they say deals with many of these problems/behaviors. I've not had to do it with the smaller bread dogs, but want to make sure I stay on top of this little guy before he gets in too much dutch with the wife. I'll give a 'range report' on those classes as we take them.
Patriot C.O.P. Online Class
Critter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 00:38   #178
Lobo
Who farted??

Kind of an off beat question, but can you give me an idea of what mix of breeds my friend is? We got him from a shelter in 2002. He is one of the smartest, most personable dogs we have had in our family. He's a house-dog, all 100 pounds of him, and is a heck of an alarm system. I have been told by friends that he might be red heeler/pit mix. Heres a pic of Texas. BTW, thanks for this thread; its educational.

Woof Memorial Critter's Corner

Chris
#9 Mississippi Club

#520 Smith & Wesson Club

#520 Browning Hi Power Club
Lobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 08:23   #179
CentralMsGunFan
Packin Preacher

Quote:
Originally posted by G20man32904
Hey scowan,
Glad to help out partner, afterall that's what this place is about right??;f

Ok, here we go, he needs confidence. Now the way to get there is no harsh corrections (either verbal or leash) and he should be wearing a buckle type collar (not a metal choker). He also need to learn his commands ASAP. These must be kept short and fun with minimals "no's".
I really like to use food rewards (something small and soft, I personally get best results with liver boiled then chopped in the size of mm's then frozen in ziplocks for future use) with pups because it keeps their interest and makes it tons of fun. Start with "sit" then the "down" command. It is extremely important to use voice inflections to keep it positive and fast paced!! Use a high pitched "good boy" and it must be real!! If you try to fake it he will know and will not be as enthusastic as he could be and will soon tire from this "training".
Praise CAN NOT BE OVER EMPHASIZED!! We will go deeper in the commands phase later, right now we need to work on this peeing thing.

If you are not already using a water bottle on the crate go with that instead of a bowl. Before preparing to leave take him outside on the leash for 5-10minutes. Pick a time and stick with it. When I was a smoker I gave my dog the time it took for 1 smoke and thats it. Whatever time length you choose, keep it consistent no matter what.
Keep this in mind, it takes 2 hours for a dogs body to process water and 4-6 hours to process food. So what we want to do is make sure he will empty at least 30minutes prior to your leaving. This means no water 3 hours before you leave the house. He only needs water maybe 5 minutes at a time 3-5 times a day day unless you have him running around (which you shouldn't because he is on the leash tied to you, right? ).

Ok this one will require some time but here is the deal, after making sure he is empty, put him in the crate and grab that can we talked about and set it outside the door to where ever he is. Then walk outside. As soon as you hear him start to cry rush back inside and fling his door open and calmly, quietly, and firmly give him a "NO" followed by the stare down contest. Very important, do not let him win these contests, stare him down.... As soon as he looks away, let your entire being change to "good boy" with normal influctions. Then immediately turn and leave again. Use the can as a last resort here or after about 5 attempts with just verbal corrections.

Another very imprtant point is dont get into the habit of long goodbyes and immediate hello's when you walk in the door. Ignore him for 10minutes or so upon returning home unless he is crying, whinning then a verbal no and a stare down contest until he looks away.
Repeat this varying the length of time of your returns. Sometimes it will be necessary to have someone drive your car down the street while you stay and listen for him to cry out.
Im having the same problems as this guy with my 6wk old german shepherd. The thread is very helpful, but what is the "can" you are talking about? You said "put him in the crate and grab that can we talked about and set it outside the door to where ever he is." Sorry if i missed something obvious. Also did you say use the leash around the house and tie it down sometimes? thanks for your help.

Last edited by CentralMsGunFan; 12-03-2006 at 08:25..
CentralMsGunFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 12:58   #180
G20man32904
Deceased

Lobo,
Hard to say, looks to me like a pit mix and I would leave it at that
I also happen to own a dog that no one can identify.

CentralMsGunFan
The "can" is nothing more that a beer/soda can with about 10 pennies in it and the top taped shut with clear tape.
And Yes, I did say tie the leash TO YOU whenever you are home.
Let me know if I can help more.
Old 12-03-2006, 14:14   #181
CentralMsGunFan
Packin Preacher

oh ok. thanks for clearing that up for me.
Old 12-03-2006, 14:57   #182
Lobo
Who farted??

10-4. He's definately made me a believer in getting "pound pups".

Chris
#9 Mississippi Club

#520 Smith & Wesson Club

Old 12-03-2006, 16:20   #183
G20man32904
Deceased

Quote:
Originally posted by CentralMsGunFan
oh ok. thanks for clearing that up for me.
No problem, thats what we are here for!

Quote:
Originally posted by Lobo
10-4. He's definately made me a believer in getting "pound pups".

Chris
My pound puppy, child eater, vicious killer

Old 12-03-2006, 16:20   #184
CentralMsGunFan
Packin Preacher

here is one for you G. I tied the lease to me, but i basically have to drag the dog everywhere I go. My first instinct is to pull it, but i dont want to hurt the pup. What should I do?
Old 12-03-2006, 16:23   #185
G20man32904
Deceased

Gently encourage him, when that doesn't work, do what mom did to you in the toy store as a kid.

Get him used to the leash slowly and gently as possible, but the time will come when you have to enforce your Alpha status.

Ok, at 6 weeks old, cut him some slack, but dont be a push over either.
Old 12-03-2006, 16:27   #186
CentralMsGunFan
Packin Preacher

Quote:
Originally posted by G20man32904
when that doesn't work, do what mom did to you in the toy store as a kid.

So buy it a new toy? j/k I understand. At what age should i begin enforcing the alpha status more sternly? oh and BTW. DUDE you are awesome for doing this.

Last edited by CentralMsGunFan; 12-03-2006 at 16:29..
Old 12-03-2006, 16:31   #187
G20man32904
Deceased

12-16 weeks depending on the dog, some aren't ready till 20 weeks.

He will let you know when he is ready to "feel his oats".

Just remember praise has to equal correction, so if you come down on him really hard, you have to bring him back up with praise.

AND NO ROUGH HOUSING!!!!!
Old 12-03-2006, 16:34   #188
G20man32904
Deceased

Quote:
oh and BTW. DUDE you are awesome for doing this.
This is Eric's house dude, I'm just giving back a little.
Help Eric and we all win!
Old 12-03-2006, 20:13   #189
Lobo
Who farted??

Good lookin' "pound pup"!

Chris
#9 Mississippi Club

#520 Smith & Wesson Club

Old 12-04-2006, 08:33   #190
G20man32904
Deceased

Thanks Chris,
Thatís why I'm so familiar with the question "what kind of dog is that?"

I usually say itís between a chow and a pit and people give a wide berth.
If they only knew he was a sweetheart for a cookie.
Old 12-04-2006, 20:49   #191
CentralMsGunFan
Packin Preacher

hey G20,

It is amazing how smart dogs are if you just know how to communicate with them. The can and pennies thing and the water bottle thing works great for the create. The house training is going amazing, I assume for 6 weeks old anyway. She is letting use know to let her out (80% of the time) and we open the door and she is gone does her stuff and comes right back in. Im very impressed so far.

I do have a question though. I have been cutting it some slack on some things because of her age like you said, but how do i discourage her from biting, especially human skin or electrical wires. And is that part of the reason you said no rough housing?
Old 12-04-2006, 23:03   #192
G20man32904
Deceased

Quote:
hey G20,

It is amazing how smart dogs are if you just know how to communicate with them. The can and pennies thing and the water bottle thing works great for the create. The house training is going amazing, I assume for 6 weeks old anyway. She is letting use know to let her out (80% of the time) and we open the door and she is gone does her stuff and comes right back in. Im very impressed so far.

I do have a question though. I have been cutting it some slack on some things because of her age like you said, but how do i discourage her from biting, especially human skin or electrical wires. And is that part of the reason you said no rough housing?
Yep it sure is.
If the housebreaking is not at 100% it's because she isn't on the leash.

If she is on the leash, there will also be no biting. (Because you can immediately correct her with the leash)

Glad to hear about the positives and keep up the good work, it will pay off big time later!!!
Keep us posted
Mike
Old 12-05-2006, 21:06   #193
CentralMsGunFan
Packin Preacher

what would be the appropriate correction using the leash. A jerk?
Old 12-05-2006, 21:10   #194
G20man32904
Deceased

Quote:
what would be the appropriate correction using the leash. A jerk?
A tug firm enough to get the point across without being harsh and a Verbal NO!
Old 12-06-2006, 17:36   #195
CentralMsGunFan
Packin Preacher

here is a question that gives away that i am a first time dog owner, but how tight should the collar be? ANd where should the loop of the collar be on the back of the neck or under the head.
Old 12-06-2006, 17:43   #196
G20man32904
Deceased

Right now, we want it loose and low on his neck. We just want her to get used to it and "it" to be a positive thing.

Later on we can put a metal choker on her (4-8months old). Depending on how fast he grows up. Right now, just a buckle type collar (even a cat collar) and the lightest leash you can find.
Old 12-06-2006, 19:45   #197
CentralMsGunFan
Packin Preacher

hey g20. my dog hasn't learn to bark yet, but what is your opinion on the no bark collars. And other "shock" collars for that matter. Oh and there is no need for any flaming from anyone, just asking a question.
Old 12-06-2006, 22:21   #198
G20man32904
Deceased

IMHO, the no bark collars are a huge waste of money and nothing that you can't control. They also teach your dog to bark in sequences so as not to set off the collar.

Remote correction collars or E-collars on the other hand are an excellent tool to be used for fine tuning total off-leash control once the basics have been mastered. By that I mean for instance, a down and stay command from 30ft with a hand signal only, then add off leash familiar dogs while your dog stays put.

However they can also ruin a dog in less than 2-3 days time with inappropriate timing of corrections or too harsh of a correction by an inexperienced owner.

Itís a very fine line to walk.
For what its worth, I used one on my dog between the ages of 4-5 to perfect his off leash obedience and he is a Pit-chow mix! He was a tough nut to crack, but definitely worth it.
Old 12-08-2006, 13:21   #199
PrincessCelica
<3 <3 <3 <3

Send a message via AIM to PrincessCelica Send a message via Yahoo to PrincessCelica

Hey G20
I just wanted to thank you for this thread. It has been a big help to me the last couple of days. As I have told everyone over in GNG, Vin and I have rescued a 4 month Rott puppy that someone had abandoned alongside a freeway. We've been keeping her on the leash while she's inside, and I have to say it's been a big help in getting her house-trained.

Here's a picture of the little brat. I wish I could keep her. But at 30 pounds at 4 months (and that's undernourished for her size) she's just going to be too big, too expensive, and too much time for us to be able to handle. We named her Princess:

The best part of having her is watching her learn. She learned how to go down and up stairs, how to walk on a leash (and that tugs on it do not mean she will be beaten!), and so much more. She was very scared when we first got her. We're guessing she was beaten. But she is breaking out of her shell and acting more like a mentally healthy pup.
Old 12-08-2006, 21:50   #200
G20man32904
Deceased

PrincessCelica,
I am glad to help out! Its great therapy for me too.

Don't be so quick to want to give her up, by that pic I would say she wonít be bigger than 80lbs if she is trim and a properly trained dog is no more time than 5-10 mins in the morning and 5-10mins at night and the rest is for lounging or throwing a ball.

Want to pay me back? Buy a fundraiser ticket for $10 and help keep GT up and running!

If you need specific help with something post away. Congrats and thank you for your rescue. Princess will love you forever!!!

Mike