SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-27-2004, 12:48   #21
MStarmer
In Jail...

G20man,

Could you go over the best way to housebreak a new puppy. We have a crate as well and would like to get thru this as easy as possible. We have a week right now that we are off work so we can spend some time doing this. Right now we have been trying to use the puppy pads next to the outside door that we let our other dog out.

Ideas/Suggestions greatly appreciated!!!
Old 11-27-2004, 14:28   #22
G20man32904
Deceased

Sure thing M,
a couple of questions: what type of dog are we talking about? How old? where did it come from?
And for future reference you can't post a "new puppy" without pics!!! ;f (if you are able, also a pic of the crate would be good to.)
Old 11-27-2004, 14:56   #23
MStarmer
In Jail...

Of course I posted a pic, but it was in another thread so here it is again.

Woof Memorial Critter's Corner

It's a pommeranian/Skipperkee/Chihauha (sp??) mix. It was born on Sept. 29, my mom had a litter of 6. She's been well cared for without a doubt and somewhat paper trained.

The crate is actually one for a cat but seems about the right size. Might be a smidge on the big side but just barely.

Edited to add pic of kennel.

Thanks

Last edited by MStarmer; 11-27-2004 at 15:38..
MStarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 07:49   #24
G20man32904
Deceased

M that pup is ADORABLE!!!;f
Ok, this is going to be long so here goes.
We have some options here that you need to decide on, litter box training or taking the little guy outside. With pups this small I prefer to use a litter box inside the house because it makes the dog a little less dependant on you. However if you so choose, you can take him outside.
The procedure is the same and is called “Watch and Confine”. What this means is to keep a leash on him and tie the other end to you (watch) while home and while you are not home (or sleeping) confine him in the crate. Now in order for this to work you must not stray from the plan for the next couple of weeks. Only the dog can decide how long it will take. I would get a hamster sized water bottle and hang that on the crate for him to drink from while being confined so that he will not play, spill his water.
Also the crate is about 2X the size needed (for now) so put something in it to divide it in half. I like plywood and then zip tie it to the sides. The reason being, if the crate is that big he will pee in the front and still be able to lay in the back and not be in “it” and that’s not what we want. Also remove the bedding as that will soak up urine.
The things to remember with puppies are that it takes 2 hours for their body to process water and 4-6 hours for food. So if they drink at 10am by noon they will want to pee so be on the lookout. What we want out of this “Watch and Confine” is for them to tell us they need to go and what happens is they will go in front of us eventually. This is a good thing!!! When this happens give a medium sized NO!! (for the third week progressing into the fourth) and take them (again ON THE LEASH) to where you want them to go. Don’t carry him; make him walk on the leash. By the fourth week he will know where he is allowed to go and therefore step up the tone & volume of the NO when he goes in front of you…
If you modify this plan by not using the leash (normal method used by most people) what you will have is a dog that won’t go in front of you but sneak off in another room or wait for you to leave and then he will leave you a surprise somewhere.
Also food is very important at this stage; I recommend buying the best food you can afford as this will make housebreaking a ton easier.
As for his first week and second week at home go easy and don’t expect too much. Puppies @ 10weeks old have almost no holding power at all so when accidents happen give him an easy no and take him to the appropriate place and once he starts going again give lots of verbal praise. Be careful not to spend too much time with him this week, we don’t want him accustomed to you being around 24/7. Give him a siesta every couple of hours in his crate and don’t let him whine, cry, bark, etc.
Well this should get you started and if you need anything else don’t hesitate to post or pm me. Good luck and keep us updated.
Old 12-07-2004, 10:17   #25
rick417

New Puppy, what should I expect?

We are the proud owners of a 6 week old Black lab. I have a question about what to expect with potty training at night.

We have only had him a couple of days. The first night, we tried to leave him in his crate all night without taking him out to potty. He unded up going in his crate.
Last night I would get up and let him out when he would start to bark/cry. I let him out at about 11:30 am, 2:30 am, 4:30 am. The first two times, I stayed up and played for a few minutes after bringing him back in the house. (he is pretty good about going outside or at least trying to make it until then) At the 4:30 potty break, I was exhausted and thought I would just put him right back in the crate with a treat and try to get a couple more hours sleep. He would have none of that. My wife got up and let him out to play for a little while and put him back in the crate after about 20 minutes and all was well.
My major question is: Are we doing the right thing? and how long until we could expect him to go all night without needing to go outside?
rick417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 10:39   #26
G20man32904
Deceased

rice,
Congrats on a new puppy!!!
First off, 6 weeks is kinda young, how come you got him so young?
He really needs his mom at this age, but anyway now you have him and he has successfully trained you to let him out at night huh. ;f
I would feed him as late as possible for your schedule, I am thinking like 10pm-midnight for his last feeding. Then outside for a bowel movement within about 20mins after eating. He should be able to sleep till 6am with this type of schedule.
DO NOT LET HIM OUT OF THE CAGE FOR whining, crying, barking etc. If its close to 6am make him get quiet first, then let him outside. Play time and potty time are 2 different things, don't confuse the 2 for him. Play time can also stimulate a B/M so be watchful of this.
Give him lots of stimuli (noises, cars, ball playing) during the day and wear his little butt out after the night time feeding and B/M. So that you will be able to sleep thru the night.
Do a web search for the "critical age of socialization" and start working on that stuff with him and good luck with the housebreaking.
Sounds like you are off to decent start so shouldn't take to long.
If you need more help post or pm me.
Old 12-09-2004, 01:58   #27
Ender
ComfortablyNumb

G20man...

a question, if you check back in this thread...

how to stop a dog from jumping?

"We'll meet again...don't know where, don't know when; but I know we'll meet again, some sunny day."
Ender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 10:40   #28
G20man32904
Deceased

Quote:
Originally posted by Ender
how to stop a dog from jumping?
Hey Ender,
Several methods depending on your dogs personality, If he is jumping on you or your SO, raise a knee up as he jumps to catch him in the chest. Now this doesn't need to be done hard, just catch him off guard. When other people come over (or you are out with him) use the leash. If you correct him eveytime he jumps and he isnt getting any positive reinforcement for jumping (very important) this shouldn't take but maybe a week or two for him to figure out. Again the key is no positve reinforcement for jumping, don't pet him or wrassle with him while he is on his hind legs.
Good luck and hope this helps some. ;c
Old 12-09-2004, 14:55   #29
scowan007
memberrific!!!

Ender,
If your dog is the one in your avatar, you shouldn't have a problem...

Wait for it...

Wait for it.....

Here it comes...

Everybody knows white dogs can't jump!

boooooooooooooo, that was awful!!!;e
scowan007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 01:50   #30
Ender
ComfortablyNumb

thanks G20, will try. i can't be too forceful with her because she hurt her leg and the vet says to take everything easy for a few weeks....

and scowan...its been a while since i actually groaned at a joke....you fixed that...

beautiful joke btw, just...beautiful!

"We'll meet again...don't know where, don't know when; but I know we'll meet again, some sunny day."
Ender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 12:19   #31
AirMountainMan

Send a message via AIM to AirMountainMan
G20man32904
I have a Brittany that is nearly 2 years old. Once he sees a deer, rabbit or other game it is nearly impossible for me to call him back/keep him for chasing the game. I have an orchard behind my house and the deer congrigate there in the winter. Now this concerns me because the orchard is really in a suburban area that is kinda hidden from the streets around. One of the streets that he could very easliy chase the deer onto is very busy. I do not want anyone to hit a deer, get hurt, kill the deer, or run over my little brittany (Sorry for the lengthy background).

Now I ran him down this morning and turned him on his back and yelled at him NO!!! How can I teach him that when I say no come I MEANIT?

When I let him out for any lenght of time I put an e-collar on him but, when I change their water in the morning and feed the rabbit and chukar I let him run around for a little bit. 90% of the time he comes right back when I call him. I do not have the e-collar on him at this time.

Thank you in advance!!

Scott
AirMountainMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 13:08   #32
G20man32904
Deceased

Scott,
2 things, Leave the e collar on whenever you go outside and make sure the correction is strong enough to deter him from running off and yet not too much that it spooks him. Sounds like part of this, is maybe he figured out the e collar and he knows when its not on.
Second, the come command HAS TO BE POSITIVELY REINFORCED MANY TIMES. It also CANNOT be re-inforced with "punishment". An Alpha rollover was good choice but applied to late for the dog to associate it with not coming.
Work the come command with a 30ft lead tied to a tree (so the dog cannot go anywhere BUT to you) and then use the e collar as the correction. Keep in mind that the better the praise, the more the dog will want to do it. Use a good food reward (my guy likes liver/hot dogs) occasionally to spice it up.
If the dog does get outside without the e collar, you have already lost the battle, call him once maybe twice at the most and walk back inside and wait. I know thats a hard answer but its one that works quite often. For the come command to be %100 the dog has to learn that no matter what is happening if he comes when called he will get praised.
Good luck and let me know how its going
Old 03-01-2005, 00:52   #33
8-Ball
Drifting Cowboy

G20Man,
I have two questions for you. I got a full blood yellow lab pup about three months ago, he's 5 months old now. The first question, When I play with him he tends to bite hard. Really hard. Sometimes even drawing blood. I tell him no a give him a little smack on the nose but i guess he thinks I'm playing when I do this because he just keeps biting hard. What do you think I should do to get him to stop biting so damn hard? Second question, He feels the need to chew up absolutely everything in the house. I bought him chew toys but he chews on everything else but them. How can I get him to stop this?

He was very good with everything else. He never whined when I put him in his kennel at night, He went to the bathroom maybe 4 times in the house the whole time I've had him even though he was kept outside by the people I bought him from. Those are about the only two problems I've ever had with him, he's a very good dog. Thanks!

23skidoo (Jeff), CJLandry (Chad), Silent_Runner (Gloria), & GioaJack

Taken too soon.
8-Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 00:57   #34
8-Ball
Drifting Cowboy

Oh yea, heres a pic.

23skidoo (Jeff), CJLandry (Chad), Silent_Runner (Gloria), & GioaJack

Taken too soon.
8-Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 19:39   #35
G20man32904
Deceased

Nice looking Lab 8-Ball!!
Quote:
When I play with him he tends to bite hard.
This is an esy one, don't rough-house with him!!!
Play ball or tug-of-war with a tug toy. There is no reason to rough-house with a dog because in dog language YOU CAN NOT WIN!!
I am pretty sure he will chase a ball until your arm falls off from throwing it for him. Teach him how to bring the ball back to you and this will satisfy his need to run and bite things.
Labs are very mouthy dogs anyway don't encourage him by playing rough for biting you. He will only fear you...
If he bites at your hands when not playing rough stick one of his chew toys in his mouth.
Also if you have water around you where he can swim get him a water kong. The white one in the picture.Woof Memorial Critter's Corner

p.s.
They are ALL good dogs!!;f
let me know how it goes....
Old 03-02-2005, 08:02   #36
cocor
Just A Member

G20man32904,

I have a question for you about potty training. I have a 18 week old Fila Mastiff that I have had for 8 weeks now. I have tried everything you have posted here to try to train him. My wife and I thought we were making good progress with him when he started to scratch at the door to go out, but now he just stops what he is doing and pees. We will have taken him out less than 5 minutes, no exaggeration, and he will go in the house. This last weekend, he was outside and we brought him in and he went within 30 seconds of coming back into the house. When he does go in the house, we tell him he is bad in a loud voice and take him outside. Then I take him to his crate for a "time-out". Basically, our patience is wearing thin. It is becoming a daily occurrence. We do not want an outside dog, we want an indoor family dog. We have even talked to breeders about this problem and they say he probably has a weak bladder and he will grow out of it. It just does not make sense that he will tell us sometimes he wants to go out and other times he just goes. Any advice? ;g
Thanks,
Steve
cocor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 17:11   #37
scowan007
memberrific!!!

SEPERATION ANXIETY

Iggy is 8 months now and has not outgrown this. Barks constantly (and sometimes pees) when I leave him alone.

He can go all night in the crate, so I know its not a bladder thing. Whenever I leave him alone in the crate he will bark and cry forever! He will bark and pee in the SUV when I leave the truck. Every once in awhile, as a test, I will leave him uncrated when I take the trash out, run to the truck, etc. He will bark and bark, if I hear him stop barking, I know there will be a puddle in the entryway. This has got to stop. I don't know how to correct it since he only does it when I'm not around. Tried the bark collar. That worked for a week or so, now he powers through it.
Old 03-02-2005, 18:00   #38
G20man32904
Deceased

Steve,
First things first, everything you have done this far has taught the dog to go inside. ;L

Housebreaking has 1 main rule: The dog must be on a leash and tied to YOU and only you or he is in his crate. What we want to happen is for him to start going to the bathroom in-front of you so we can correct him while he is going and immediately go outside to finish while being praised for it. So the ideal situation is he sleeps in the crate and the rest of the time he is with you and your wife and take turns. Don’t be dissuaded by the thoughts of “how can I do that?”
Everywhere you go he goes. After the first day or so he won’t be bad.
How much water is he getting a day? I would a say a quart throughout the day should be good depending on activity.
Get him a decent sized water bottle (like for hamsters) if he spends more than 6 hours at a time in the crate.
If he is 100% healthy and that can be a big if….. He can hold it for about 8-10 hours easy.
Start wearing that leash and things will turn around in the first day guaranteed!!
good luck and let me know
Old 03-02-2005, 18:08   #39
G20man32904
Deceased

Alright Scowan your turn,
We need to find out absolutely 100% if Iggy really needs to go or is playing this up.
Is he crying or whining or straight out barking? Does he sleep in-bed with you?? If so that has to end now before this gets really bad.
Some dogs just have this and we have to live with it but you are not to that point by any means. Kind of like a cancer we can medicate it but not solve it.
How big of a puddle are we talking here?
Old 03-02-2005, 18:18   #40
scowan007
memberrific!!!

sleeps in kennel. Can easily go all night with out peeing. Will pee in kennel about 25% of the time when I leave for 1 to 2 hours (I take him outside before I crate him).

Usually he is tethered to me, or my work area.

Sometimes when I take out the trash, or grab the mail, I will leave him out to see how he behaves (I mean, its been 6 months!).

He barks his "baby bark." the high pitched plaintive bark with the occasional whimper. He doesn't do his "big boy" WOOOOOOOF bark. But its still full blown, lost his little mind, nonstop, gonzo barking. About 2 times in 5 he'll pee right by the front door (that's the only place he does it). He even did this when i visited my dad. I asked dad to watch him while I ran to get something from the truck. i figured as long as someone was with him, he would be ok. Wrong! Its ME he misses, not company in general apparently. I come back to barking and a puddle inside dad's front door and a less than amused dad.