Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-01-2007, 22:02   #361
Blinky
Rocket Surgeon

Send a message via AIM to Blinky Send a message via MSN to Blinky Send a message via Yahoo to Blinky
Quote:
Originally posted by G20man32904
Sup
If you have a question for Blinky, do us a favor and pm it to him.
I'm just trying to keep this thread on track cause there is lots of good info in here.

Thanks
Mike

btw,
There are no stupid questions. Ask whatever.
There ya are! Just keepin' the seat warm man.
Old 04-03-2007, 04:24   #362
supra98

ok i got a question..(for anybody)...when im around any other dogs..when i come home and my dogs smells the other dogs, what does he think??...betrayal??..or is it ok???...just wondering what goes through his mind??
supra98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 10:03   #363
G20man32904
Deceased

Quote:
Originally posted by supra98
ok i got a question..(for anybody)...when im around any other dogs..when i come home and my dogs smells the other dogs, what does he think??...betrayal??..or is it ok???...just wondering what goes through his mind??
LOL
He is jealous he couldn't be there with you.
Old 04-26-2007, 22:43   #364
CentralMsGunFan
Packin Preacher

I DONT want to train my GSD to attack, but i do want to be able to give the "Watch him" command (where he barks at someone or something until i give him the release word). How do i teach this? She knows basic commands including bark/speak. Any advice?
CentralMsGunFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 09:17   #365
G20man32904
Deceased

C,
Find your local Schutzhund club here and ask lots of questions.

Btw,
We don't teach our dogs to "attack", but to bite and hold accordingly.
Learn a little from the clubs and I would be willing to bet you would be very surprised. Working dogs love the workout and it also reduces stress for them.
Old 04-27-2007, 09:51   #366
CentralMsGunFan
Packin Preacher

Quote:
Originally posted by G20man32904
C,
Find your local Schutzhund club here and ask lots of questions.

Btw,
We don't teach our dogs to "attack", but to bite and hold accordingly.
Learn a little from the clubs and I would be willing to bet you would be very surprised. Working dogs love the workout and it also reduces stress for them.
Well i got excited when i went to the website because i had never even heard of Schutzhund before...but then i looked and they dont have a club in Mississippi...BOOOOOOO any other suggestions?
CentralMsGunFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 11:17   #367
G20man32904
Deceased

Read everything you can find about schutzhund. Call your local PD and ask if they have a K-9 program and see if they will let you train with them, (maybe after some volunteer sessions).

This is NOT something you can do on your own. You will need at least 1 helper that is very familiar with protection work. Your dogs confidence can be ruined in 1 session if done improperly.

Seek professional help.

Mike
Old 05-03-2007, 06:19   #368
SKeefe

Ok I have another question about our Maltese. I asked on a previous page about how he backs away when you try to pick him up, and it was suggested that it was because of him trying to be dominant, which I do think was right. I have cleared up a lot of that by not settling for anything except what I want him to do, if I tell him to come here and he doesn't, I will go to him to pick him up, if he tries to back away, I will make him sit and then pick him up.

Anyway, what do you do with a dog that just seems to not like getting pet/rubbed? I've never seen this before in any other dogs, but he has always been like this. If you pick him up and hold him and pet him, he will be fine for a minute, but as soon as you take your hands off him, he jumps on the floor. If he wants to lay down to rest, he will just do it on the floor, not on you or beside you. I've watched The Dog Whisperer some and the methods he recommends are actually some of the things that I've always done, and he recommends that when you get a dog into its calm submissive state, to reward it with love/petting, etc. It is just hard to reward a dog (without treats) if he apparently doesn't like being pet, plus it's just plain weird.

This also may be a dominance issue, because I swear he is the most dominant dog I've ever had/seen. We do the little "staredowns" you recommended, and sometimes they last up to a minute, and sometimes I swear he just looks away because he is bored. For other dogs the staredowns with me last 3-10 seconds at most.

Now don't get me wrong, he is a very sweet dog, has never bitten or went after anyone in anger, including my 3 year old brother (who he loves playing with) who plays with him, chases him, throws dirt on him (!), etc. It is just weird, and it is especially hard for my wife, who of course wants to have a dog she can have come sit with her on the couch and pet, etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by SKeefe; 05-03-2007 at 06:22..
SKeefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 08:36   #369
G20man32904
Deceased

Your answer lies within the leash. You and your wife should put him on the leash attached to you while home. Everywhere you go, he goes.
This will teach him you AND your wife is the head of the pack.
And the wife will get the dog she is looking for.

If the dog doesn't want praise from you, it's because you and the wife have given him too much praise without him earning it. Make sense? Make him earn the praise by doing obedience commands, tricks, whatever.
Old 06-01-2007, 16:07   #370
supra98

ok summer time.. how do i tech my GSD to swim, like the water, not to be afraid of the pool??, any ideas/suggestions...thanks
Old 06-01-2007, 18:16   #371
Walter45Auto

Send a message via Yahoo to Walter45Auto
The way I did with my dog (at a lake), is go the the shore of the lake and play with him with a tennis ball, and throw the ball out to where it's just in the water enough for the dog to wade out and get it. Then play with him on the bank a little more then throw it out a little further, and when he goes in the water, praise him A Lot. Soon he'll be comfortable with it. Actually, I'm told it's good to brush him while he's wet, too. In fact, Saturday after training, I may go take him and play with him by the lake again..... Not sure if it'd work the same way with a pool, or if your dog likes to chase a ball like mine does. I'm sure You can use any toy he likes that floats. Anyway, that's how I got my dog to swim.

Old 06-02-2007, 01:56   #372
supra98

yh that would be great if my boy had a ball drive, he has no ball drive wha so ever... he panics in the water when i hold him afloat, breathes very hard...but when gets out, he wants to get back in,just scared and doesnt know how.....
Old 06-02-2007, 09:04   #373
G20man32904
Deceased

Bring him in with you wearing one of these.
http://www.canine-spirit.com/shop/de...prodsportid=11

Woof Memorial Critter's Corner
Old 06-12-2007, 18:49   #374
supra98

heyG20, is it possible to bring down a dogs' self-confidence, self-esteem, or happiness in general, if so how,and how to bring him back up.?
Old 06-12-2007, 20:23   #375
G20man32904
Deceased

Quote:
heyG20, is it possible to bring down a dogs' self-confidence, self-esteem, or happiness in general, if so how,and how to bring him back up.?
Of course, but the depths of that question would bury us and quickly overload Eric's servers.

Poorly timed corrections, or corrections that don't make sense to the dog, will hurt his confidence and hurt the trust bond between alpha and dog.

Proper timing of praise, food rewards, and physical praise can bring the dog back up, again if all is timed properly. Proper timing of corrections will also help a dog "get it", and therefore raise self-confidence.
Old 06-12-2007, 22:11   #376
supra98

ok, well since this is your thread im looking forward for you to help me with this situation, when i call my dog sometimes he wont come especially when im around my pool or any water, i get mad and sometimes will hit him in a disciplinary action for not obeying. am i wrong?
Old 06-13-2007, 09:12   #377
G20man32904
Deceased

Quote:
ok, well since this is your thread im looking forward for you to help me with this situation, when i call my dog sometimes he wont come especially when im around my pool or any water, i get mad and sometimes will hit him in a disciplinary action for not obeying. am i wrong?
I have answered every asinine question you have come up with in the last 6 months but this one crossed the line. Hitting your dog is not only illegal and immoral, but shows your lack of coping skills. Do you hit your girlfriend when she doesnít understand you? How about a child?
After seeing your pics maybe you do.

<b><font color="red">Edited By Eric:</font> Please do not post pictures of others, if they object. Thanks. Eric</b>

IF YOU ARE NOT INTELLIGENT ENOUGH OR HAVE ENOUGH MATURITY TO TRAIN THE DOG, PLEASE DROP IT OFF AT THE NEAREST HUMANE SOCIETY.

SIMPLE ENOUGH?

I have answered your last question, and any future posts in this or any other thread will be ignored.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:31   #378
Blinky
Rocket Surgeon

Send a message via AIM to Blinky Send a message via MSN to Blinky Send a message via Yahoo to Blinky
Quote:
Are you f'ing serious? Where the hell did you ever get the idea that hitting your dog was the proper thing to do? Listen, it's obvious that you haven't been paying attention, have you? Do your dog a favor! Give him to a rescue organization that will place him with a RESPONSIBLE owner. Get yourself some help too, not from a dog trainer, but from a counselor. Christ man, wtf is wrong with you? "am i wrong?" UM freaking DUH!

Last edited by Blinky; 06-13-2007 at 09:36..
Blinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 09:43   #379
Blinky
Rocket Surgeon

You know what supra? I'm not done. Looking back through this thread you've been spoon fed information that people pay A LOT of money for. How dare you. Part of me is glad that you asked those questions, so that the thread would contain the info for other dog owners. But what the hell is wrong with you? Everything you've been told has had one purpose, to build up your dogs self esteem and to make you a better pack leader. Then you turn around and hit him? You just undid any and all work you put into getting your dog to trust you. That's just freaking great man. You disgust me.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:56   #380
DennisP

Another example of why we need life guards on the gene pool.

Dennis P.

P.S. G20 Man, You have a been a great help to me and my family and I am sure a whole lot of other people as well. Don't let one knucklehead make you think you and your advice is not appreciated.

Keep up the good work.

Dennis P.
BIG DAWG #548
DennisP is offline   Reply With Quote