GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-26-2007, 10:43   #341
supra98

ya, but he has no ball drive what so ever....no fetch , nothing...
supra98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 10:56   #342
G20man32904
Deceased

Then find some other way of exercising him. Swimming, treadmill, etc.
Old 03-02-2007, 19:50   #343
ReAX222

I have several problems, and there is alot of info here to read. So I'll go ahead and ask the question that has stumped everyone else.

My puppy is between 1-2 years old and he nurses on blankets pillows, his stuffed animals, ect. I correct his behavor with a sharp HEY, but even after the last year he still does it. How do I stop him from nursing.

Next, he is very energetic and I would like to get him tired by playing frisbee. However he will have nothing to do with anything that flys through the air unless it's one of his stuffed animals. Even with his stuffed animals, it must be laying on the ground before he'll get it. I got him a frisbee that looks like a chicken (head, legs and wings) it has a soft mushy skin, it should be purfect. I have fed him in it for a week, stored hotdogs on it, rubbed his soft treates all over it and he will have nothing at all to do with it. How do I get him to catch a frisbe or even chase after a soccer ball?

I am going to try an electric collar for his lack of attention outside. Is it just a quick jolt and repeat my command, or do I shock him first for the first few days and then give the command? For the most part in the house, he will listen right off. When he gets really excited though that's a different story, I give a command, he ignores me, I scold and then he follows through.

Thanks,

PS, we have been through Basic and advanced obedience. He's changed alot sence the pound.

I don't know, I've never seen a car that looks like that before, it looks like a uh... like a big cat of some kind.
...What like a puma?

Last edited by ReAX222; 03-02-2007 at 19:53..
ReAX222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 20:03   #344
ReAX222

Quote:
Originally posted by Blinky
I know the PetSmart in Omaha will also hold classes inside the store during business hours. If you're having trouble by yourself, ask them about classes.
I am happy with our petsmart training, but he still has problems with distractions. It's mostly when is off leash though. On leash, he will listen pretty good.

I don't know, I've never seen a car that looks like that before, it looks like a uh... like a big cat of some kind.
...What like a puma?
Old 03-03-2007, 12:12   #345
G20man32904
Deceased

Hey Re,

Let me try these in order.

Ok, first up the nursing, what breed and at what age did you get him?
Regardless, nursing shows that he is not confident about who he is and where he stands in the pack. If he was taken from his mom at too early of an age, this will attribute to nursing behavior. Give him ONE blanket that is his and only his and let him nurse on it all he wants. It will help him build confidence.

Ball playing and Frisbee;
Again breed has a lot to do with it, some dogs will chase a ball till your arm falls off, others, could care less. Itís called low ball drive. You can google that term and find lots of good info. If he wonít chase anything, get him a 30-50 foot long lead and let him explore and be a dog like that.

On the E collar, first off I am a fan of them and have used them on my own dogs. But, judging from what you have told me so far, I would say your dog is not a candidate for an e-collar at this time. If I was your trainer, I would build the dogs confidence up first, then go on to off lead stuff. If you go with an E collar now you could do irreparable damage to his psyche. However it is your dog and your choice.

Quote:
Originally posted by ReAX222
When he gets really excited though that's a different story, I give a command, he ignores me, I scold and then he follows through.
This tells me you have much more work to do ON LEASH, before worrying about off leash. You should never HAVE to scold, he should listen to you even if itís just above a whisper.

PetSmart is a good start, but it is entry level stuff. Find a GOOD trainer in your area, and have him come to the house. You will learn 3-4 times what you learned in Petsmart.

Good Luck and let me know how it goes.
Old 03-03-2007, 14:53   #346
ReAX222

He's got a lot of Rott, and a fluffy tail like a shepherd. I got him from the pound last year and they thought he was 3 yo. I have talked to several vets, and think he's under 2. He's deffinately a young dog.

...What like a puma?
Old 03-03-2007, 14:57   #347
G20man32904
Deceased

Ok, best bet then, is to get some help from a pro in your area to rebuild him.
Old 03-03-2007, 19:40   #348
ReAX222

He has come a long way. When we play tug, I let him win alot, I give him different commands and he resonds instantly. The nursing has been curved heavily and he seems pretty self assured. I have him barking when people are outside, and he thinks he's pretty bad at times. Although, he clearly understands this is my home.

Any susgestions I can work on to make him more secure in his role? Or for making him more protective?

...What like a puma?
Old 03-03-2007, 23:02   #349
G20man32904
Deceased

Quote:
Originally posted by G20man32904
Ok, best bet then, is to get some help from a pro in your area to rebuild him.
Start here
Old 03-05-2007, 21:46   #350
supra98

is there any significance to my GSD laying down while he s eating??
Old 03-06-2007, 10:25   #351
G20man32904
Deceased

Yes, he is uncomfortable eating while standing.
Try one of these.

Woof Memorial Critter's Corner
Old 03-06-2007, 17:26   #352
supra98

ok , we talked earlier bout ball drive, how do you teach it??
Old 03-06-2007, 18:59   #353
G20man32904
Deceased

You can start here
Old 03-27-2007, 01:08   #354
Blinky
Rocket Surgeon

Send a message via AIM to Blinky Send a message via MSN to Blinky Send a message via Yahoo to Blinky
Quote:
Originally posted by ReAX222
He has come a long way. When we play tug, I let him win alot, I give him different commands and he resonds instantly. The nursing has been curved heavily and he seems pretty self assured. I have him barking when people are outside, and he thinks he's pretty bad at times. Although, he clearly understands this is my home.

Any susgestions I can work on to make him more secure in his role? Or for making him more protective?
Do you want a guard dog or a family pet?

If you're EXTREMELY serious about your commitment to your dog seek out a Schutzhund club in your area and talk to them. They will give you an idea if you and your dog are right for that kind of training. Just remember, Schutzhund is a lifetime commitment for you and your dog. It is only for the most dedicated owners. If they feel that you or your dog aren't fit for it, don't take it the wrong way either. I may just mean that you may have a bit more work to do. If that is the case, they should also be able to recommend some trainers in your area to see first. After that then you can pursue Schutzhund training.

Also, I would ditch the games of tug and all "rough housing" in general. It is doing more to send your dog mixes messages about who is the pack leader then you might think. Making your dog feel "in control" does nothing to help their confidence. Mostly it will frustrate your dog because one minute has has the power and then you try to take power away from him. This becomes a constant struggle and will lead to more and more behavior issues. The best way to ensure that you dog has good "self-esteem" is to take the role of calm/assertive pack leader 24/7. Your dog will feel more at ease when they know they can count on you to lead.

Last edited by Blinky; 03-28-2007 at 22:52..
Blinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 22:50   #355
Blinky
Rocket Surgeon

Send a message via AIM to Blinky Send a message via MSN to Blinky Send a message via Yahoo to Blinky
Old 03-30-2007, 18:07   #356
supra98

ok question, i started recently buying my dog some bones, the ones that you can chew on for days, BIG ones... anyways i caugt him trying to bury it, he will chew on it for a day or so, thne try to bury it, any reason why, is it bad habit??...
Old 03-30-2007, 20:41   #357
Blinky
Rocket Surgeon

Quote:
Originally posted by supra98
ok question, i started recently buying my dog some bones, the ones that you can chew on for days, BIG ones... anyways i caugt him trying to bury it, he will chew on it for a day or so, thne try to bury it, any reason why, is it bad habit??...
It's not a "bad habit" necessarily . He's basically going back to his "wolf roots". In the wild when a wolf will get a kill it's not uncommon for them to hide what they can't finish. They do this to make sure that any other animals won't get to their food. It's really up to you if this is a bad habit or not. If it is, the easiest ways to deal with it are A. buy smaller bones that he can chew in one sitting or B. only let him chew on the bone inside. Their may be a few more options but I gotta run! take care!
Old 03-31-2007, 01:53   #358
supra98

ok blinky i appreciate your time, well i just dont want them to go to waste, so he will eat them eventualy??
Old 03-31-2007, 12:37   #359
Blinky
Rocket Surgeon

Quote:
Originally posted by supra98
ok blinky i appreciate your time, well i just dont want them to go to waste, so he will eat them eventualy??
yeah, he should.
Old 04-01-2007, 21:02   #360
G20man32904
Deceased

Sup
If you have a question for Blinky, do us a favor and pm it to him.
I'm just trying to keep this thread on track cause there is lots of good info in here.

Thanks
Mike

btw,
There are no stupid questions. Ask whatever.