GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-12-2007, 22:11   #376
supra98

ok, well since this is your thread im looking forward for you to help me with this situation, when i call my dog sometimes he wont come especially when im around my pool or any water, i get mad and sometimes will hit him in a disciplinary action for not obeying. am i wrong?
supra98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 09:12   #377
G20man32904
Deceased

Quote:
Originally posted by supra98
ok, well since this is your thread im looking forward for you to help me with this situation, when i call my dog sometimes he wont come especially when im around my pool or any water, i get mad and sometimes will hit him in a disciplinary action for not obeying. am i wrong?
I have answered every asinine question you have come up with in the last 6 months but this one crossed the line. Hitting your dog is not only illegal and immoral, but shows your lack of coping skills. Do you hit your girlfriend when she doesn’t understand you? How about a child?
After seeing your pics maybe you do.

<b><font color="red">Edited By Eric:</font> Please do not post pictures of others, if they object. Thanks. Eric</b>

IF YOU ARE NOT INTELLIGENT ENOUGH OR HAVE ENOUGH MATURITY TO TRAIN THE DOG, PLEASE DROP IT OFF AT THE NEAREST HUMANE SOCIETY.

SIMPLE ENOUGH?

I have answered your last question, and any future posts in this or any other thread will be ignored.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:31   #378
Blinky
Rocket Surgeon

Send a message via AIM to Blinky Send a message via MSN to Blinky Send a message via Yahoo to Blinky
Quote:
Originally posted by supra98
Are you f'ing serious? Where the hell did you ever get the idea that hitting your dog was the proper thing to do? Listen, it's obvious that you haven't been paying attention, have you? Do your dog a favor! Give him to a rescue organization that will place him with a RESPONSIBLE owner. Get yourself some help too, not from a dog trainer, but from a counselor. Christ man, wtf is wrong with you? "am i wrong?" UM freaking DUH!

Last edited by Blinky; 06-13-2007 at 09:36..
Blinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 09:43   #379
Blinky
Rocket Surgeon

Send a message via AIM to Blinky Send a message via MSN to Blinky Send a message via Yahoo to Blinky
You know what supra? I'm not done. Looking back through this thread you've been spoon fed information that people pay A LOT of money for. How dare you. Part of me is glad that you asked those questions, so that the thread would contain the info for other dog owners. But what the hell is wrong with you? Everything you've been told has had one purpose, to build up your dogs self esteem and to make you a better pack leader. Then you turn around and hit him? You just undid any and all work you put into getting your dog to trust you. That's just freaking great man. You disgust me.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:56   #380
DennisP

Another example of why we need life guards on the gene pool.

Dennis P.

P.S. G20 Man, You have a been a great help to me and my family and I am sure a whole lot of other people as well. Don't let one knucklehead make you think you and your advice is not appreciated.

Keep up the good work.

Dennis P.
BIG DAWG #548
DennisP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 11:15   #381
G20man32904
Deceased

Thanks DP,

I'm here for ya anytime.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:14   #382
supra98

Hey, G20, you have a problem of what? you got something to say, say It, I like how you talk all BIG on here, you dont know that first thing about me. I figured you be an older person, looks like you acting pretty young now, what do you get out of posting my pics everywhere on glocktalk, where does it get you?.HMMM NO WHERE.
(DONT JUDGE A BOOK MY IT'S COVER)..
supra98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 22:25   #383
CentralMsGunFan
Packin Preacher

Hey G20...i know this isnt the appropriate place for this, but I wanted you to know because you have helped me and my GSD so much...

Well we woke up this morning and our 8 month old GSD was dead. We were absolutely heart broken. I had an autopsy done and it turns out she had a birth defect. Her stomic was actually going through her liver. The vet said it was like a 1 in a million thing. ANd he said if we would have known it, there would still be nothing that could be done. I am just thankful she was able to have a happy life with us.

My wife found her this morning and she came running in the bedroom saying Lady (my dog) is dead Lady is dead...I thought she was saying the baby is dead (my wife is pregnant) SO i was REALLY freaking out at first...and then i heard her say Lady...and of course that is better in comparison but I was still totally heart broken...just wanted to let you guys know.
CentralMsGunFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 16:39   #384
Blinky
Rocket Surgeon

Quote:
Originally posted by CentralMsGunFan
Hey G20...i know this isnt the appropriate place for this, but I wanted you to know because you have helped me and my GSD so much...

Well we woke up this morning and our 8 month old GSD was dead. We were absolutely heart broken. I had an autopsy done and it turns out she had a birth defect. Her stomic was actually going through her liver. The vet said it was like a 1 in a million thing. ANd he said if we would have known it, there would still be nothing that could be done. I am just thankful she was able to have a happy life with us.

My wife found her this morning and she came running in the bedroom saying Lady (my dog) is dead Lady is dead...I thought she was saying the baby is dead (my wife is pregnant) SO i was REALLY freaking out at first...and then i heard her say Lady...and of course that is better in comparison but I was still totally heart broken...just wanted to let you guys know.
oh no...I'm so sorry. You hit the most important thing though. While she was here, she had wonderful owners who wanted the best for her. She sounded like a wonderful dog too. My thoughts are with you and your family.
Old 07-01-2007, 19:09   #385
CentralMsGunFan
Packin Preacher

Thanks Blinky...you helped a lot with her too...i remember reading a lot of your post and applying some things from it...thanks bud
Old 07-01-2007, 19:19   #386
G20man32904
Deceased

Damn Central, I just read your other thread about it.
I am so sorry for your loss.

Glad you jumped back into the game though with a new one!
Lemme know if there is anything on your mind and good luck with noobie!
Old 07-01-2007, 21:20   #387
CentralMsGunFan
Packin Preacher

Quote:
Originally posted by G20man32904
Damn Central, I just read your other thread about it.
I am so sorry for your loss.

Glad you jumped back into the game though with a new one!
Lemme know if there is anything on your mind and good luck with noobie!
Well we have fallin in love with Col. We still miss lady of course...i never thought i could be so close to an animal. But it was like losing one of the family.

Anyway, enough feeling sorry for myself. I have started training immediately with Col. He is catching on super quick. I am training in German this time around...just to help keep it fresh for me...and to just sort of have a special thing between him and I...im weird i know, but I had a question. Do you ever use hand signals when training? If so how to you incorporate the hand signals with the verbal commands. Is there a sort of official hand signal for each command?...i know i could make up my own, but i a lil worried i might forget them if i just make them up. any advice?
Old 07-02-2007, 11:02   #388
G20man32904
Deceased

Found a link to better describe hand signal teaching.

link

Just remember, to keep it fun, fast paced and short!
Old 07-02-2007, 13:10   #389
MrsKitty

Mike!!! Any ideas with this?

http://glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=721243

Old 07-02-2007, 14:04   #390
G20man32904
Deceased

MK,
I posted a few things off the top of my rusty head.
What all are you already doing to control her dominance?
Old 07-02-2007, 17:06   #391
MrsKitty

Not too much of nothing because she doesn't respond to anything

When we aren't at home, she is locked up by herself.

Feeding her last don't work---she won't eat until she is good and ready and it may be days before she eats in her ten minute window.

The best thing we have found is to isolate her but she can't spend the rest of her life in jail.
Old 07-16-2007, 19:33   #392
CentralMsGunFan
Packin Preacher

question? What is the technique used to teach a dog to bring you the remote? I know it is just a novelty trick, but i am running out of stuff to teach my new little rascal and he enjoys learning so much.
Old 07-16-2007, 21:05   #393
G20man32904
Deceased

Quote:
Originally posted by CentralMsGunFan
question? What is the technique used to teach a dog to bring you the remote? I know it is just a novelty trick, but i am running out of stuff to teach my new little rascal and he enjoys learning so much.
Central,
Break it up into steps. First is mouth and hold, start with the ball and work from there. Once he will bite and hold an object use the come command and a handy well timed reward, (treat) so he will drop the object into your hands. Then start using different objects and you can then get him to bring you anything you want.
If you want the beer out of the fridge gag, give him a command for grabbing a dish towl. Once he gets good, tie it to the fridge door, when you get him to "pull" on it, let him find a reward attached to said beer, then use your bite and hold command and come command.
Easy enough?
Mike
Old 07-16-2007, 21:35   #394
CentralMsGunFan
Packin Preacher

Quote:
Originally posted by G20man32904

Easy enough?
Mike
Sure man...sounds great...i should have realized that i would have to break it up...thanks for the advice.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:06   #395
Erik67

My Lab is afraid of the truck

My 8 month old Lab, Jake, resists everythime we go somewhere. When I get his leash he gets excited, but as soon as I open the truck door he starts pulling away.

A treat used to get him in, but that is not working anymore.

What should I do??

Thanks,
Erik
Erik67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 13:33   #396
G20man32904
Deceased

Central,
Really no limits what you can teach a dog, just break it down into seperate things for him to understand. You will have him getting your mail soon!

Eric,
Use a really good (special) treat to get him in the truck and just stand there with the door open for a bit and when YOU decide, let him jump out for another reward. Slowly progress into you sitting in the drivers seat not going anywhere to very, very short rides. Between the getting him comfortable with sitting in the truck let it idle awhile then get out.

Its important not to show any emotion at all. If you are confident then the dog will be as well.

Biggest thing I have seen is people telling their dogs "good boy" when the dog is scared. Make sure you are praising his calm behavior not when he is scared.

Good luck all
Mike
Old 07-25-2007, 18:47   #397
speck

Howdy!

I've got a Rhodesian Ridgeback cross. (What with? Not sure. Her brothers and sisters looked like black and white border collies with ridges. She looks like a GSD/Ridgeback cross.) She's my first dog, and ... well, Rhodies are a handfull from everything I'd heard, but I think I've managed to do pretty well with her. She's 15 months old and I've had her for about a year. Before that, she was living with my ex-girlfriend until I could move to a place that allowed dogs and had a yard; my ex-girlfriend rescued her at 4-5 weeks.

My current girlfriend is a positive training fan and is entering vet school this year with thoughts of becoming a behaviorist. She's had great success using positive training with her hound/dane cross... the dog is 3 years old, was abused for years (veterinary testing dog... blah!) and is afraid of everything. He whacked his tail against a cabinet in my house tonight and scared himself silly. 75 lbs of scaredy-cat! But he's doing so much better than he was before, and she's teaching him all kinds of entertaining tricks. The girlfriend wishes that I'd be 'nicer' when training my dog because sometimes I use an 'escalation of force' technique that makes her uncomfortable. She also thinks that my dog should be allowed to be a puppy sometimes, and to not have to listen and calm down every single time I give her a command. The former I can kind of agree with (but haven't had much success with), the latter I completely and absolutely disagree with.

Back over to my dog. She's frighteningly intelligent. We were playing with a friend's dog (Jack Russel) and a laser pointer ... and he was going crazy. After he was pooped, we tried it on her. She swatted the red dot a few times, looked up at me when we started to laugh, saw the red dot and my hand moving at the same time, and *completely* lost interest. She knows objects are 3d. While my friends dogs are still trying to get the ball that rolled under the TV stand from the front, she goes around the side and swats it towards her. When at the dog park, which is circular and rather small, she knows that dogs running the fence will come back to her eventually if she just waits. So when chasing a dog, she will stop when there's other dogs chasing it, let the dog keep running, and then come back from the other side and do a head-on takedown while her target's looking back over it's shoulders at it's pursuers.

I love her to death, and wouldn't have her any other way! The problem with such a smart dog, of course, is that she makes a *decision* about whether or not she wants to listen.

The only training method that I've had success with with her is 'out-stubborning'. i.e.: One of the things she does perfectly every time is to 'go kennel'. She knows she's going in there one way or another, and always has since she was a tiny little thing, so she just goes. Same with sitting on command. She knows she doesn't have a choice, because if she doesn't sit when I tell her to I'm going to push her rear end down. She also will listen to me at a distance because she knows that if she's doing something she shouldn't at the park (i.e. in the mud) that I have a nasty habit of appearing next to her and suddenly she's ass over teakettle in the dust.

I also try not to let her get away with much... I expect her to do things every time, and have since she was a little puppy. And we don't move on until she's done it. (You should hear her complain if she gets up from her down-stay while I'm putting my shoes on -- she wants to bite people's feet as they're going into shoes because she thinks she's going for a walk -- she sounds like a mortally wounded wookie!)

Am I wrong to demand that level of behavior from a dog that's really just a puppy still? She does very well (after she calms down) around new people, but she's all wiggles and paws and flailing limbs -- all 80 lbs of her -- when someone new is in the house. I know that this will get better as she gets a bit older, and I'm (fairly) patient... but I do have to raise my voice and/or grab an ear or a scruff to get her attention because I'm afraid she'll hurt herself or others. She's gotten VERY good around little kids just recently, will sit and let them pet her. Now if she could just do that around other adults, I'd be super happy!

My goal for my dog is to be a calm, collected companion -- someone I can take anywhere with me without having to worry about her knocking a little old lady or small child over. I'd also like to train her in -- and I realize this is loose, I haven't done any research -- search and rescue type activities like finding a person hidden in a field. I'm not much for hunting, and I don't think I could ever teach her to fetch a bird back to me without eating the bird first anyway. And yes, I realize that she's just a puppy still -- I would've rescued an older dog if I had the choice, but I wasn't given one. She adopted me!

Oh, and one other question -- what's your opinion on the gentle-leader type collars? It's been *great* with her, but I'm still trying to get her to heel well on a normal leash and off leash -- her prey drive is FAR too strong for me to use anything but the head collar when we're out on walks together. :-P Any suggestions with that?

Last edited by speck; 07-25-2007 at 18:54..
speck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 10:09   #398
G20man32904
Deceased

Quote:
Originally posted by speck
Howdy!

I've got a Rhodesian Ridgeback cross. (What with? Not sure. Her brothers and sisters looked like black and white border collies with ridges. She looks like a GSD/Ridgeback cross.) She's my first dog, and ... well, Rhodies are a handfull from everything I'd heard, but I think I've managed to do pretty well with her. She's 15 months old and I've had her for about a year. Before that, she was living with my ex-girlfriend until I could move to a place that allowed dogs and had a yard; my ex-girlfriend rescued her at 4-5 weeks.

My current girlfriend is a positive training fan and is entering vet school this year with thoughts of becoming a behaviorist. She's had great success using positive training with her hound/dane cross... the dog is 3 years old, was abused for years (veterinary testing dog... blah!) and is afraid of everything. He whacked his tail against a cabinet in my house tonight and scared himself silly. 75 lbs of scaredy-cat! But he's doing so much better than he was before, and she's teaching him all kinds of entertaining tricks. The girlfriend wishes that I'd be 'nicer' when training my dog because sometimes I use an 'escalation of force' technique that makes her uncomfortable. She also thinks that my dog should be allowed to be a puppy sometimes, and to not have to listen and calm down every single time I give her a command. The former I can kind of agree with (but haven't had much success with), the latter I completely and absolutely disagree with.

Back over to my dog. She's frighteningly intelligent. We were playing with a friend's dog (Jack Russel) and a laser pointer ... and he was going crazy. After he was pooped, we tried it on her. She swatted the red dot a few times, looked up at me when we started to laugh, saw the red dot and my hand moving at the same time, and *completely* lost interest. She knows objects are 3d. While my friends dogs are still trying to get the ball that rolled under the TV stand from the front, she goes around the side and swats it towards her. When at the dog park, which is circular and rather small, she knows that dogs running the fence will come back to her eventually if she just waits. So when chasing a dog, she will stop when there's other dogs chasing it, let the dog keep running, and then come back from the other side and do a head-on takedown while her target's looking back over it's shoulders at it's pursuers.

I love her to death, and wouldn't have her any other way! The problem with such a smart dog, of course, is that she makes a *decision* about whether or not she wants to listen.

The only training method that I've had success with with her is 'out-stubborning'. i.e.: One of the things she does perfectly every time is to 'go kennel'. She knows she's going in there one way or another, and always has since she was a tiny little thing, so she just goes. Same with sitting on command. She knows she doesn't have a choice, because if she doesn't sit when I tell her to I'm going to push her rear end down. She also will listen to me at a distance because she knows that if she's doing something she shouldn't at the park (i.e. in the mud) that I have a nasty habit of appearing next to her and suddenly she's ass over teakettle in the dust.

I also try not to let her get away with much... I expect her to do things every time, and have since she was a little puppy. And we don't move on until she's done it. (You should hear her complain if she gets up from her down-stay while I'm putting my shoes on -- she wants to bite people's feet as they're going into shoes because she thinks she's going for a walk -- she sounds like a mortally wounded wookie!)

Am I wrong to demand that level of behavior from a dog that's really just a puppy still? She does very well (after she calms down) around new people, but she's all wiggles and paws and flailing limbs -- all 80 lbs of her -- when someone new is in the house. I know that this will get better as she gets a bit older, and I'm (fairly) patient... but I do have to raise my voice and/or grab an ear or a scruff to get her attention because I'm afraid she'll hurt herself or others. She's gotten VERY good around little kids just recently, will sit and let them pet her. Now if she could just do that around other adults, I'd be super happy!

My goal for my dog is to be a calm, collected companion -- someone I can take anywhere with me without having to worry about her knocking a little old lady or small child over. I'd also like to train her in -- and I realize this is loose, I haven't done any research -- search and rescue type activities like finding a person hidden in a field. I'm not much for hunting, and I don't think I could ever teach her to fetch a bird back to me without eating the bird first anyway. And yes, I realize that she's just a puppy still -- I would've rescued an older dog if I had the choice, but I wasn't given one. She adopted me!

Oh, and one other question -- what's your opinion on the gentle-leader type collars? It's been *great* with her, but I'm still trying to get her to heel well on a normal leash and off leash -- her prey drive is FAR too strong for me to use anything but the head collar when we're out on walks together. :-P Any suggestions with that?
Hey Blink,
Wanna take this one for me. I'll be in and out of hospitals next couple of days at least.

Thanks dood
Mike
Old 07-30-2007, 23:45   #399
speck

Sorry to miss you, Mike. No hurry on the reply.

I thought of one more question I've got -- Eowyn (my Ridgeback pup) *always* barks at other dogs, joggers, and people on bicycles or pushing strollers when we're in the car. This is annoying and unsafe, but ignoring her hasn't helped. Praising her when she's quiet hasn't helped. Getting her to sit while one of the aforementioned desireable objects passes by hasn't helped. She does try to chase bicycles and joggers when on leash. (She doesn't chase cars... go figure...)

Any ideas on how I can get her to not?
speck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 23:02   #400
deathgrip71

Hi-

I train personal protection and competitive sport dogs, have for almost 12 years.

How old is your girl?

When you say sitting while joggers pass is no help, what are you doing to try to prevent the barking?

It's generic, but many "problem dogs" that come to me have their issues resolved without any direct action after they go through basic obedience, do you have any puppy classes in your area?

Barking is a self-rewarding behaviour, BTW, meaning the barking IS the reward!

Also, is your dog a chow hound, does she LOVE to eat? That's always helpful.