Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-03-2007, 12:41   #261
G20man32904
Deceased

Quote:
Originally posted by Blinky
I'll give you my answer and reasoning/ G20 may think differently, I don't know yet. First off what ever you do it needs to be done in a very calm manor. Assertion with out aggression is the key. Also, you should only do it in a fight/bite situation. If a is going crazy and barking leash corrections and verbal commands should be all you need. With that said the whole point of "pinning" a dog is to emulate what happens in the wild. A dog is not going to take another dog an just sit on top of him or put his whole body weight on him if he wants to keep him down. For dogs, the neck is the key. The proper way to for a human to do this is to take your hand and make a "mouth" where your fingers are the "teeth". Take your hand and around the front and side of the dogs neck and apply pressure. One you do that start to take him to the ground and lay him on his side. You may have to use your other arm to kick his hind legs out from underneath him. If the dog immediately goes to his side and relaxes, relax your hand on his neck and wait if he stays relaxed for, oh, 30 seconds or so then you should be ok to let the dog back up. If the dog is on his side and tries to get up, tighten your grip and "bite" him. As soon as the dog relaxes again you need to relax your grip. I always pin the dog on his side, because you can tell when the dog is relaxing. At first the dog will have his legs out and tense. Sooner or later you'll notice the legs will relax and the dog will lay flat, that's the sign of total submission. The dog needs to stay that way in order for him to be let up. If you pin the dog on his back the legs will naturally be up in the air and it's harder to tell when the dog is relaxing, plus it may make it harder for the dog to breath. Again, I can't stress this enough, this should be used as a last resort and should only be done a calm manor.
YEP! Well said!
Old 01-03-2007, 14:58   #262
Omphaloskepsis
PlayItOffLegit

Send a message via Yahoo to Omphaloskepsis
G20 ... a few times in this thread you have said that there should be No Roughousing! Why is that?
Old 01-03-2007, 19:35   #263
G20man32904
Deceased

Quote:
Originally posted by Omphaloskepsis
G20 ... a few times in this thread you have said that there should be No Roughousing! Why is that?
It is not a game in which you (as a human) can win (while speaking dog).

Very rarely will you see the Alpha wolf "play" with another wolf. The Alpha knows all, see's all.
Old 01-03-2007, 23:22   #264
Blinky
Rocket Surgeon

Send a message via AIM to Blinky Send a message via MSN to Blinky Send a message via Yahoo to Blinky
Quote:
Originally posted by G20man32904
YEP! Well said!

Nice to know that we are on the same page.
Old 01-08-2007, 13:52   #265
supra98

ok , anybody who can help, how do i stop my dog from running out the gate and going down the street when i open it. if i call him he'll come back, but i shouldnt have to do that, he should just stay put right when he walks out the gate??...( i kno wi asked this already, but now its getting annoying)...
supra98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 15:04   #266
CentralMsGunFan
Packin Preacher

I dont open the gate when my dog is excited...i make sure she is calm, submissive, and sitting before i open. If i walk out and she is up on the gate going crazy. I give her a firm off command. Then the sit command...when she sits...the door is open. Do that consistently for a while...he or she will catch on.
CentralMsGunFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 16:29   #267
supra98

tried but he will sit with his tail wagging then he lays downs, gets back up the runs around in circles...he wont stop...
Old 01-08-2007, 17:56   #268
CentralMsGunFan
Packin Preacher

Then the door doesnt get open...you might want to practice a a few times a day for a while...giving him a treat when he does it right...and all that jazz...G20 or Blinky can prob give more advice
Old 01-08-2007, 18:15   #269
G20man32904
Deceased

Quote:
Originally posted by supra98
tried but he will sit with his tail wagging then he lays downs, gets back up the runs around in circles...he wont stop...
Central has the right idea. How about using that leash thing?
The gate DOES NOT open until he is calm, cool, and collected.
Old 01-08-2007, 23:18   #270
Blinky
Rocket Surgeon

Send a message via AIM to Blinky Send a message via MSN to Blinky Send a message via Yahoo to Blinky
Quote:
Originally posted by CentralMsGunFan
Then the door doesnt get open...you might want to practice a a few times a day for a while...giving him a treat when he does it right...and all that jazz...G20 or Blinky can prob give more advice
That's about it.

Grab the leash before you open the gate. Make sure their is some slack in it if he trys to bolt give him a very stern correction.
Old 01-12-2007, 17:59   #271
supra98

ok thanks to everyone for helping, gotta remember he was a stray before i brought him in, so i dont knoe how his past affects his behavior problems, NOW if u guys can help me again ill be happier, my boy doesnt like to play with balls, whatsoever, no fetch nothing, i can throw him a ball, catch it in his mouth, then he'll drop it and move on...how do i get him to fetch??...
Old 01-12-2007, 18:41   #272
G20man32904
Deceased

Quote:
ok thanks to everyone for helping, gotta remember he was a stray before i brought him in, so i dont knoe how his past affects his behavior problems, NOW if u guys can help me again ill be happier, my boy doesnt like to play with balls, whatsoever, no fetch nothing, i can throw him a ball, catch it in his mouth, then he'll drop it and move on...how do i get him to fetch??...
No problem Sup, thats what we are here for.
Ball "drive" is difficult to teach, some dogs have it, and some don't. Try getting him to chew on a ball that you can hide treats in. Like this one
Link

Last edited by G20man32904; 01-16-2007 at 00:00..
G20man32904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 20:27   #273
CentralMsGunFan
Packin Preacher

yo G I got one for you. Ball drive on my dog is awesome, She will run and go get it, bring it back, BUT doesnt want to drop it. Is there a methoid to teaching to drop?
Old 01-13-2007, 22:55   #274
G20man32904
Deceased

Quote:
Originally posted by CentralMsGunFan
yo G I got one for you. Ball drive on my dog is awesome, She will run and go get it, bring it back, BUT doesnt want to drop it. Is there a methoid to teaching to drop?
Easy one,
Play on a 30ft lead and tell her to "out" in a deep guttural tone. When she doesn't do it, give a light leash correction and a NO! Out!!
When she drops it, lots of praise! Repeat often
Old 01-14-2007, 04:21   #275
supra98

ok how bout weather??, do dogs tolerate that more than us??, 24 degrees outside do i leave my dog outside, or bring him in?
Old 01-14-2007, 11:20   #276
G20man32904
Deceased

Quote:
ok how bout weather??, do dogs tolerate that more than us??, 24 degrees outside do i leave my dog outside, or bring him in?
Sup,

Why on Earth would you ever leave him out? He is a pack driven animal and should usually be with his pack. Bring him on in and make a comfortable space just for him. Doesn't need to be much or anything fancy, an old blanket thrown in a corner somewhere.
Bring him in.
Old 01-14-2007, 12:35   #277
supra98

ok thanks, i figured he doesnt get as cold as we do, after all he is the to protect my backyard so i didnt think of him being warm...
Old 01-15-2007, 07:47   #278
SKeefe

I've mentioned our 8-9 month old Maltese in this thread before. He has been potty trained fairly well for the past couple of months now (one accident every couple of weeks if I fed him to late in the evening maybe).

Anyway, all of a sudden he has started going in the house again, mainly at night. During the day when we are not home, we block off our hallway and keep him in there. At night when we sleep, he sleeps in his bed (which is beside our bed), and if he gets up he can only go out into the hallway as we keep it blocked off then too. Like I said, he has recently started using the bathroom in the house again at night.

We feed him three times a day, in the morning at about 8:00, at lunch at about 12:00, and then at about 6:00 or 7:00 in the evening. He usually ends up going to the bathroom in the house after midnight (I've caught him a few times).

What is the deal with this? Why did he suddenly go back to his old ways, and what can I do?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
SKeefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 11:33   #279
G20man32904
Deceased

Quote:
Originally posted by SKeefe

What is the deal with this? Why did he suddenly go back to his old ways, and what can I do?
A)Because he can
B)Because he has to go

What you can do is crate him at night, not block off an area for him.
Woof Memorial Critter's Corner
It is a very easy solution...
Good Luck
Old 01-15-2007, 17:33   #280
supra98

obedience?, whay not in public?, ok my boy listens to me very good when its just him and me, or when im around my roomates, BUT i took him to petmart yesterday and he went crazy, he didnt want to sit, walk on the leash right..nothin made me look bad, why?