GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2006, 00:02   #201
Walter45Auto
Registered User
 
Walter45Auto's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 7,929
Send a message via Yahoo to Walter45Auto
Quote:
Originally posted by PrincessCelica
.......Vin and I have rescued a 4 month Rott puppy that someone had abandoned alongside a freeway........
She's Beautiful!









__________________
"If You carry a gun, they call you paranoid. That's Ridiculous! If I've got a gun what do I have to be paranoid about?" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch.
Walter45Auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 12:48   #202
PrincessCelica
<3 <3 <3 <3
 
PrincessCelica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Glocktopia
Posts: 4,200
Send a message via AIM to PrincessCelica Send a message via Yahoo to PrincessCelica


Mike,
Trust me when I say, I do not want to give this puppy up. She is exhausting to deal with, but so worth it. However, we can't afford to keep her. My cat will not tolerate the rest of her days cooped up in our tiny apartment with her. Princess has a lot of energy now that she's on a proper diet. This morning I took her for a 2 mile walk and when we got home, she still wanted to play.

I think she understands now (already) that she has to go outside to go to the bathroom. Yesterday she waited 6 hours for me to get home from work to go. After a long walk, and realizing I would need a flashlight, she still hadn't gone. She was very reluctant to go back inside. Almost like she was telling me "Hey, I'm not done yet!" I grabbed my flashlight and went back out. Sure enough she finally went. I'm very proud of her. 24 hours without a single accident!

Well I have to go buy her a new leash. The one I bought her got broken. She pulled too hard against my tugging to get her out of the kitchen, and snap! She also needs a new collar. Last night she figured out how to get hers off Now that I know what size she needs, I can get her a better one.
__________________
"Those who do not wield swords can still die upon them." -Eowyn
"I never failed once. I invented the light bulb. It just happened to be a 2000-step process." -Thomas Edison
PrincessCelica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 12:58   #203
PrincessCelica
<3 <3 <3 <3
 
PrincessCelica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Glocktopia
Posts: 4,200
Send a message via AIM to PrincessCelica Send a message via Yahoo to PrincessCelica


I have a question for ya, now that I think about it. Most people think she will be really big when she grows up. She's 4 months old and 30 pounds, which when you see her is obviously underweight for her size.

However my manager asked "Does she have really big paws?" When I said no, my manager said she probably wouldn't get to be too big. So best guesstimate, which is it? Is she gonna be big or not?

Her paws don't look big like most big dog puppies' paws do.
__________________
"Those who do not wield swords can still die upon them." -Eowyn
"I never failed once. I invented the light bulb. It just happened to be a 2000-step process." -Thomas Edison
PrincessCelica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 18:29   #204
G20man32904
Deceased
 
G20man32904's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Melbourne, Fl
Posts: 2,454
Quote:
Originally posted by PrincessCelica
I have a question for ya, now that I think about it. Most people think she will be really big when she grows up. She's 4 months old and 30 pounds, which when you see her is obviously underweight for her size.

However my manager asked "Does she have really big paws?" When I said no, my manager said she probably wouldn't get to be too big. So best guesstimate, which is it? Is she gonna be big or not?

Her paws don't look big like most big dog puppies' paws do.
Judging her from the pic I would say somewhere between 60-80lbs. Which is medium sized.
Also, when you walk her to do her thing, be consistent and only give her a set amount of time, I usually say about 10mins tops. That way, you dont HAVE to cover your entire neighborhood for her to do her thing....
Best of luck to ya, and I hope you can keep her and I will do whatever it takes for that to happen, (think of me as your tech support line! ).
Mike
__________________
Did you pet your dog today?
Proud owner of Black rifles and Assault Canines !!!
G20man32904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 22:35   #205
CentralMsGunFan
Packin Preacher
 
CentralMsGunFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 479
my dog has got the sit command down pat, but she doesnt respond to her name very well yet. I know eventually she will catch on, but what is a way to teach her her name.
CentralMsGunFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 08:38   #206
G20man32904
Deceased
 
G20man32904's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Melbourne, Fl
Posts: 2,454
Quote:
Originally posted by CentralMsGunFan
my dog has got the sit command down pat, but she doesnt respond to her name very well yet. I know eventually she will catch on, but what is a way to teach her her name.

Remember this?


Quote:
Originally posted by G20man32904

CentralMsGunFan
And Yes, I did say tie the leash TO YOU whenever you are home.
Let me know if I can help more.
Mike
__________________
Did you pet your dog today?
Proud owner of Black rifles and Assault Canines !!!
G20man32904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 08:51   #207
CentralMsGunFan
Packin Preacher
 
CentralMsGunFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 479
yeah i do and I have been tying it to me, but she still doesn't respond to her name.
CentralMsGunFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 09:09   #208
ackvil
CLM Number 149
Charter Lifetime Member
 
ackvil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Posts: 449
I don't know if this has been asked before - but a friend is having a difficult time with her 10 week old Llahso-Poodle mix. The problem is that at night the dog cries whenever she is crated. She is taken out and does her business but within 20 minutes she starts crying to be let out. She does this for hours at a time and has done this since she was brought home two weeks ago. My friend does not want to allow the dog on the bed - but needs sleep. Any suggestions on how to handle this?
__________________
If you think nobody cares, try missing a few payments.

CLM# 149
G17,19, 21SF, 23 S & W 637
G 1 Niner Club, #2043 Florida Glockers Club, #2043
ackvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 09:58   #209
CentralMsGunFan
Packin Preacher
 
CentralMsGunFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 479
Quote:
Originally posted by ackvil
I don't know if this has been asked before - but a friend is having a difficult time with her 10 week old Llahso-Poodle mix. The problem is that at night the dog cries whenever she is crated. She is taken out and does her business but within 20 minutes she starts crying to be let out. She does this for hours at a time and has done this since she was brought home two weeks ago. My friend does not want to allow the dog on the bed - but needs sleep. Any suggestions on how to handle this?
In no way am i a trainer. G20 is the expert around here, There are a few responses in this post that will help a few pages back. This is what I did, MOSTLY or all with the help of g20, and i dont have a problem anymore. I took an empty aluminum can and put about 10 pennies in it and taped the top up really well. I filled up a hot water bottle with warm tap water. And I got her favorite chew toy and i placed all that stuff in the create. And now we don't hear a peep from her. She is 7 weeks. If your friend has bedding in the create, then he or she needs to take it out. If the create is too large for the puppy partition it off somehow. Is the create in the same room as your friend or in a different room. I dunno what G20 recommends, but we have our under the kitchen table and it works great.
CentralMsGunFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 11:04   #210
G20man32904
Deceased
 
G20man32904's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Melbourne, Fl
Posts: 2,454
Quote:
Originally posted by CentralMsGunFan
yeah i do and I have been tying it to me, but she still doesn't respond to her name.
It may take her a couple weeks. Are you using her name with commands? That will help. Using her name with praise is the way to git-r-dun.

Ackvil,
Central nailed this one! Nice job!

Basically, what your friend did was teach her, that when she wants out to cry.
Now, your friend must be diligent about correcting her (with the can and pennies, or even a squirt bottle) to get her out of this behavior. She CANNOT be let out of the crate if she is whining, crying, or protesting even the slightest bit.
Good luck to both of you and Central, keep up the good work my man!
__________________
Did you pet your dog today?
Proud owner of Black rifles and Assault Canines !!!
G20man32904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 12:43   #211
PrincessCelica
<3 <3 <3 <3
 
PrincessCelica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Glocktopia
Posts: 4,200
Send a message via AIM to PrincessCelica Send a message via Yahoo to PrincessCelica


I'm back with a couple questions for you. She's the first big dog I've been in charge of, so all the experiences of taking care of my grandma's pug aren't always much help. She's also the first dog I've been in charge of training, period.

1. How can I get her to stop biting me? I've tried pinning her while saying "No!" in a commanding voice. But this doesn't seem to help. I think she thinks I'm playing. What else can I do? Would spritzing her with water help? I know she's just playing, but it hurts, and it's not okay!

2. How do I make car rides fun for her? I've taken her for a ride once while I went to the store. She was scared for the whole drive. I really would love to be able to take her for trips without having to worry about her being afraid and uncomfortable. BTDT with my cat and it's such a pain.

3. Lastly, how much should I be feeding her? I've been giving her 2/3 cups of food 3 times a day. I'm worried that it may be not enough. She seems to always be on the search for more to eat. I don't want to under- or over-feed her.
__________________
"Those who do not wield swords can still die upon them." -Eowyn
"I never failed once. I invented the light bulb. It just happened to be a 2000-step process." -Thomas Edison
PrincessCelica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 17:36   #212
G20man32904
Deceased
 
G20man32904's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Melbourne, Fl
Posts: 2,454
Quote:
Originally posted by PrincessCelica
I'm back with a couple questions for you. She's the first big dog I've been in charge of, so all the experiences of taking care of my grandma's pug aren't always much help. She's also the first dog I've been in charge of training, period.

1. How can I get her to stop biting me? I've tried pinning her while saying "No!" in a commanding voice. But this doesn't seem to help. I think she thinks I'm playing. What else can I do? Would spritzing her with water help? I know she's just playing, but it hurts, and it's not okay!

2. How do I make car rides fun for her? I've taken her for a ride once while I went to the store. She was scared for the whole drive. I really would love to be able to take her for trips without having to worry about her being afraid and uncomfortable. BTDT with my cat and it's such a pain.

3. Lastly, how much should I be feeding her? I've been giving her 2/3 cups of food 3 times a day. I'm worried that it may be not enough. She seems to always be on the search for more to eat. I don't want to under- or over-feed her.
PC,
No sweat, we can handle it.

1. This is her way of dominating you. You can either press down on her tongue (like how you would pick up a large mouth bass, sat am tv will show you how). Or you can use a product like this.
Woof Memorial Critter's Corner
If you use the bitter apple, you must apply it away from her so she doesn't see or smell it. While it is wet stick your hands in her mouth!! It is mostly rubbing alcohol, so it evaporates very quickly. It is also useless if it drys. Try those 2 and get back to me if you need more help.

2. Start with small rides, maybe to the pet store and take her inside and have people give her small soft treats that you bring with you. Begging strips come to mind but she only gets about the size piece of your pinkie finger nail at a time. This will also show her people aren't all bad and that most have FOOD!

3.This one really depends on what your feeding her. If your saving a few dollars and feeding puppy chow or grocery store food, you have to feed her more and she will have to poop more. More waste in the food, the more comes out. Go with either Nutro Max Puppy cheaper way out or Solid Gold .
If I had a puppy I would spend the extra and get Solid Gold. It is excellent food. It will pay off trying to house break too, (less waste). Feed about 3/4 of what the bag says and see how she does.
HTH
Mike
__________________
Did you pet your dog today?
Proud owner of Black rifles and Assault Canines !!!

Last edited by G20man32904; 12-11-2006 at 17:38..
G20man32904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 18:39   #213
PrincessCelica
<3 <3 <3 <3
 
PrincessCelica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Glocktopia
Posts: 4,200
Send a message via AIM to PrincessCelica Send a message via Yahoo to PrincessCelica


Thankfully, we have her house-broken already. We picked her up Wednesday night. She hasn't had an accident since Thursday. We're starting to wean her off of being on the leash while she's inside.

I will definitely try taking her to the pet store. We'll have to wait until she gets vaccinated first, though. We're still trying to get rid of some parasites. She takes her last meds on Wednesday, and then we can take her back to the vet to be vaccinated.

We've been using the dog food the guy who found her on the side of the road had bought to feed her. Unfortunately it's adult formula. We've been meaning to switch her to a puppy formula. I'll check out the brands you mentioned.

I've been spraying her with water to see if that would help with her misbehavior. Unfortunately, it seems to be making her scared of me. If she even thinks I'm going to spray her, she'll run away with her tail in between her legs.
__________________
"Those who do not wield swords can still die upon them." -Eowyn
"I never failed once. I invented the light bulb. It just happened to be a 2000-step process." -Thomas Edison
PrincessCelica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 21:01   #214
G20man32904
Deceased
 
G20man32904's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Melbourne, Fl
Posts: 2,454
Yeah, absolutely get her off adult formula and into some good food.
Make the transition smoothly and gradually over maybe a 2-3week period to avoid her getting sick.


With the water bottle, that is too extreme for her at this point, try the bitter stuff and use that when you can. If you are in position where you can't secretly apply it then put her on her back with a firm no and hold her there until she looks away from you. Like a stare down contest, that you have to win.


Mike
__________________
Did you pet your dog today?
Proud owner of Black rifles and Assault Canines !!!
G20man32904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 21:19   #215
CentralMsGunFan
Packin Preacher
 
CentralMsGunFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 479
Quote:
Originally posted by G20man32904

Central nailed this one! Nice job!
thanks bro, Just takin and givin and trying to learn
CentralMsGunFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 00:30   #216
PrincessCelica
<3 <3 <3 <3
 
PrincessCelica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Glocktopia
Posts: 4,200
Send a message via AIM to PrincessCelica Send a message via Yahoo to PrincessCelica


I don't know what to do about my dog! She's still biting I've tried smacking her nose, pinning her, gagging her when she bites. So far nothing's working. I'm taking her to the vet tomorrow to be vaccinated. Then I will take her to the pet store to get some bitter spray and puppy food for her. I'll post updates about her progress when I can.

There's a possibility we might be taking her back from our friend when our lease is up and we can find a place where we can keep both her and my cat. Our lease isn't up until August, so that would be a long time to wait, but we'll see. It's nice to know that it is at least an OPTION. It makes it easier to give her up. (Yeah, she grew on me. I'm such a softy! Not that I didn't love her the moment I saw her, but now it's a dried cement kinda love if ya know what I mean.)
__________________
"Those who do not wield swords can still die upon them." -Eowyn
"I never failed once. I invented the light bulb. It just happened to be a 2000-step process." -Thomas Edison
PrincessCelica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 10:55   #217
G20man32904
Deceased
 
G20man32904's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Melbourne, Fl
Posts: 2,454
Quote:
Originally posted by PrincessCelica
I don't know what to do about my dog! She's still biting I've tried smacking her nose, pinning her, gagging her when she bites. So far nothing's working. I'm taking her to the vet tomorrow to be vaccinated. Then I will take her to the pet store to get some bitter spray and puppy food for her. I'll post updates about her progress when I can.

There's a possibility we might be taking her back from our friend when our lease is up and we can find a place where we can keep both her and my cat. Our lease isn't up until August, so that would be a long time to wait, but we'll see. It's nice to know that it is at least an OPTION. It makes it easier to give her up. (Yeah, she grew on me. I'm such a softy! Not that I didn't love her the moment I saw her, but now it's a dried cement kinda love if ya know what I mean.)
PC,
Grab that tongue with your thumb, and pin it to the lower jaw until you get a yelp. Then let go. It will work, your just not doing it hard enough/long enough to get the message across. Also, try the bitter stuff, might work first time out, and you will use the rest of the bottle.

GOOD!!!!
At least you now have an option!!
And yes I know what you mean, I used to take dogs into my house for training and I would keep them for 2weeks - 2months. They would grow on me really fast and the faster they learned, the more they grow on you!
Good Luck at the pet store
Mike
__________________
Did you pet your dog today?
Proud owner of Black rifles and Assault Canines !!!
G20man32904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 22:55   #218
CentralMsGunFan
Packin Preacher
 
CentralMsGunFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 479
G20 I would like to hear your opinion on some general do's and or don'ts when trying to establish yourself as pack leader. Is smacking your dog (not really hard) ever ok? or pinning her down or any of that stuff ok?
CentralMsGunFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 12:05   #219
G20man32904
Deceased
 
G20man32904's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Melbourne, Fl
Posts: 2,454
Quote:
Originally posted by CentralMsGunFan
G20 I would like to hear your opinion on some general do's and or don'ts when trying to establish yourself as pack leader. Is smacking your dog (not really hard) ever ok? or pinning her down or any of that stuff ok?
Oh boy Central,
did you open a can o worms with this one. I could go on and on about this but I'll try and keep it short.

Absolutley, everything you do, your dog interprets if you are a good Alpha or not.

Never, ever hit your dog, even a light little tap. If it's done with negative energy, you will lose points in becoming the Alpha.
Pinning her on her back is ok but she has to be on her back.

For the rest of this subject, pick up the book by http://www.amazon.com/Raising-Puppy-.../dp/0316578398 . Click the link and it will show you the book you need. This is the book that taught me almost everything I know way back when I started out.

Mike
__________________
Did you pet your dog today?
Proud owner of Black rifles and Assault Canines !!!

Last edited by G20man32904; 12-18-2006 at 17:21..
G20man32904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 22:09   #220
CentralMsGunFan
Packin Preacher
 
CentralMsGunFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 479
no worms intended only information...thanks ill check the book out =)
CentralMsGunFan is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:54.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,205
298 Members
907 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 16:42