SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-16-2005, 19:39   #201
Eddie C.
CLM Number A
Administrator

I know that Dean has called us on Glock Talk 'Kool-Aid drinkers'. I guess that's in reference to our admiration for a pistol which we feel is reliable and well made, and Dean feels is a kabooming pile of plastic and metal. Take it from there.

Eddie C.
"Weapons are tools of power. In the hands of the state they can be the tools of decency or the tools of oppression, depending on the righteousness of that state. In the hands of criminals they are tools of evil. In the hands of free and decent citizens they are tools of liberty. An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."
- Col. Jeff Cooper
Eddie C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 20:35   #202
philkryder

Send a message via AIM to philkryder
Quote:
Originally posted by fabricator
Phil, do you actually think deano is fair and balanced in his treatment of glocks?

No - I don't - but that's very different from chronic prevarication...(Walter word for lying)...
40 club #137
philkryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 20:47   #203
philkryder

Quote:
Originally posted by Eddie C.
I know that Dean has called us on Glock Talk 'Kool-Aid drinkers'. I guess that's in reference to our admiration for a pistol which we feel is reliable and well made, and Dean feels is a kabooming pile of plastic and metal. Take it from there.

Eddie C.

That's it????

Don't get me wrong - I clearly beleive Glocks are safe - as is proven everyday by those of us who us them.

And, I believe that they are safe even with lead reloads and infrequent cleanings as those who see my Glock at our range often kid me about it getting cleaned every year or so.

And, I believe the "firing out of battery" rumors are just that because, I've done the test to prove to myself that if a Glock can close the receiver to the barrel, then it will be able to have the slide go up the incline and fully close.

And, I believe that Portland PD has probably NOT received lab test results confirming their original position -
or they would have produced the reports in the same public venue that they originally used to announce the "problem".

But, none of that makes Dean Speir a liar.

The koolaid drinking is obvious literary license.

And I'm still waiting and hoping for a clear reference...

Phil
40 club #137
Old 06-17-2005, 07:38   #204
Eddie C.
CLM Number A
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by philkryder
That's it????

Don't get me wrong - I clearly beleive Glocks are safe - as is proven everyday by those of us who us them.

And, I believe that they are safe even with lead reloads and infrequent cleanings as those who see my Glock at our range often kid me about it getting cleaned every year or so.

And, I believe the "firing out of battery" rumors are just that because, I've done the test to prove to myself that if a Glock can close the receiver to the barrel, then it will be able to have the slide go up the incline and fully close.

And, I believe that Portland PD has probably NOT received lab test results confirming their original position -
or they would have produced the reports in the same public venue that they originally used to announce the "problem".

But, none of that makes Dean Speir a liar.

The koolaid drinking is obvious literary license.

And I'm still waiting and hoping for a clear reference...

Phil

Phil,
If you want references, go read Deans writings at the Gun Zone, for his views on what he thinks. I have enough work here keeping these banana's in line, without worrying who's writing what somewhere else.

Eddie C.
"Weapons are tools of power. In the hands of the state they can be the tools of decency or the tools of oppression, depending on the righteousness of that state. In the hands of criminals they are tools of evil. In the hands of free and decent citizens they are tools of liberty. An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."
- Col. Jeff Cooper
Eddie C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 08:59   #205
philkryder

Quote:
Originally posted by Eddie C.
Phil,
If you want references, go read Deans writings at the Gun Zone, for his views on what he thinks. I have enough work here keeping these banana's in line, without worrying who's writing what somewhere else.

Eddie C.

Ok - sure - been there - done that.

I thought that since the disparagement was so pervasive, it would be easy for someone to point to a single specific reference.

Absent that....

Maybe someone else has a specific refernce....
40 club #137
Old 06-17-2005, 09:06   #206
fabricator
Got Biodiesel?

Phil, exactly what are you looking for?
fabricator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 18:31   #207
philkryder

Quote:
Originally posted by fabricator
Phil, exactly what are you looking for?

The ideal would be two URLs -

The first would be pointed to something Speir had written or said that was alleged to be false.

The second would be another reference showing WHY the first was false.
40 club #137
Old 07-20-2005, 15:05   #208
BrokenArrow

Obstructed bore test?

The obstructed bore test is pretty much a standard now and has been used for some time; most service pistols wll pass it.

The Glock, SIG, HK, and Beretta 40s have passed the obstructed bore test as done by the FBI (Glock in 97), INS/BP (Beretta/SIG in 94 and 99), and the DHS (SIG/HK in 04) for example.

So Glock 40s have passed obstructed bore tests and some have still ruptured chambers... which suggests something was very wrong w the gun and/or ammo and/or shooter at the time. Some folks could kB an M1 tank if they coud reload for it...

I was standing next to a brand new Ruger GP100 in 1989 that ruptured a chamber w a round of Federal factory 125g SJHP! Hard to find a tougher gun w more chamber support than that... I trust Glocks w factory ammo. I think they may be closer to the edge than some other guns, but not enough to make me crazy.

Stuff happens. To everybody. Sooner or later. ;b
Old 07-22-2005, 10:25   #209
Tang419
Glock is GUUD

Anyone seen this page ? http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/glock-kb-faq.html

Edit: Nevermind, I see there has been some issues with his before. A lot of tension between TGZ and GT.
Old 07-27-2005, 14:26   #210
MXRacer101

Personally, I would like to see Dean Speir and WalterGa both un-banned and given their own forum on GT to have at each other. Name the new forum KaBoom so we all can kick back and watch the fireworks.
~1
"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them." -- George Mason, during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution (1788)
MXRacer101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 15:24   #211
jmacelree

Quote:
Originally posted by MXRacer101
Name the new forum KaBoom so we all can kick back and watch the fireworks.
~1
I think Kaboom Kaboom because of the double explosions.

Did that guy shooting the 600 nitro express pistol loose his thumb?
STUPD

BrokenArrow
The obstructed bore tests are making me feel better. Does any of the test material show serial numbers or date of manufacture of the weapon? Where would I look for that info? Many of my guns predate the dates you mentioned.
jmacelree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 11:36   #212
ZM01066

I am a newbie and I haven't read past the initial post on this thread. I've owned a few pistols and finally have settled on a Glock 26, which I find to be amazingly accurate, and will soon purchase a G32C. Since my friend showed me how to aim properly as well as gave me some good safety training, I've become a decent shot, which, to me, means that at this point in time I can put 50% of my shots on a paper plate at 25 yards and I am still improving. My question is what is a "KB"? And what is meant by "a KB at 6 o'clock"? Please excuse my ignorance, or, if you cannot, tell me why. Thanks.

Doug;Q
Old 08-08-2005, 11:51   #213
ZM01066

Never mind. Have read the thread and understand "KB" and 6 O'clock, etc. Sorry to be so quick to jump in. Thanks.

Doug ;Q
Old 08-29-2005, 11:53   #214
metroplex
5.7 Glockster

My G17 stock barrel chamber is very loose, I can literally rock the cartridge case around. However I collect all of the spent brass cases and have not seen any unusual defects indicating overpressure or the partially supported chamber is a problem.

I think it's the folks that reload their cartridges with too much powder that have the KB's.
metroplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 09:07   #215
mobocracy

S&W 1006 chamber vs. G29 chamber

From the almost meaningless datapoints department:

I just picked up a Glock 29 yesterday. It's my first Glock and my 3rd 10mm pistol. I'm compared three different loadings in each chamber.

My conclusion is that the S&W chamber is maybe slightly tighter, with very slightly less slop with a loaded round dropped in the chamber. A spent case fired in the 1006 has almost no lateral movement to it in the 1006 chamber, when inserted into the G29 chamber there is some lateral movement possible.

Both chambers seem to have about the same amount of "missing" case support at the 6 o'clock point, although the G29 seems to have a wider unsupported taper between 3 and 6 o'clock and 6 and 9 o'clock than the S&W 1006.

It's kind of hard for me to see that these very slight differences would mean much, but I also can't help but admit that I'll be buying a KKM barrel for shooting reloads with it.
mobocracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 17:29   #216
Atty_Guy

Interesting thread.
Atty_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 19:30   #217
jbremount

This is a informative thread, but I think we should consider what the engineers at reputable companies that makes barrels think about the current design of barrels in this discussion of kb's.( Let's just forgot about the double or triple charge situations for a moment as that is pilot error.) Now,it appears that that the most sucessful aftermarket barrel manufactures(Barstol/KKM/Jarvis/etc/if not all) are making .40 and .45 barrels with tighter chambers and "much" more case support in the 6'oclock position, and conventional rifling. I do not think these guys lack understanding of what it takes to make a better barrel or a gun reliable. In fact, I think, they are on top of their game and are market driven to produce a better product and achieve product growth or lose profit/layoff workers/go out of business/etc/etc. If Glock gave you a choice between a barrel with a tighter chamber, more case support in the 6'oclock position, conventional rifling, or the current factory barrel, which would you choose? Sometimes one has to think outside of their own little box. Think..why are the successful guys who have lived and breathe barrel manufacturing for years or decades in a compeitive market thinking a certain way?
jbremount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 07:28   #218
jmacelree

Generally, agreed. However the down side to the very tight barrel is the reliability of feeding ammo and possible dirty field conditions. For target use or if you want to shoot reloads then the after market barrel is the way to go. For business purposes, I am inclined to stick with the Glock factory barrel and high quality factory ammo.

I also believe that any weapon used for business should be individually tested with several hundred rounds of the carry ammo and function with 100% reliability before it is used in business.
jmacelree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 14:37   #219
mobocracy

Quote:
Originally posted by jbremount
If Glock gave you a choice between a barrel with a tighter chamber, more case support in the 6'oclock position, conventional rifling, or the current factory barrel, which would you choose? Sometimes one has to think outside of their own little box. Think..why are the successful guys who have lived and breathe barrel manufacturing for years or decades in a compeitive market thinking a certain way?
My gut instinct is that the original Glock design for the Austrian military was a marvel of engineering:

Minimal weight, nearly indestructable modern materials, huge capacity and designed to be extremely reliable under the most awful of conditions, and I think the looser chamber with the wider taper was part of that reliability package.

I also think, though, that this design philosophy doesn't necessarily "fit" for weapons that aren't going to be used in a non-combat environment. I think most guns, including most LEO guns and virtually all civilian CCW guns, don't spend a couple of weeks in the mud/rain/weather or really get all that dirty, or at least not in-the-field combat dirty.

Which I think means that some of the design aspects, such as the loose chamber, need to be re-thought in terms of the way many people actually use some of the other calibers (.45, 10mm -- heavily reloaded) and perhaps in light of the pressure differences between the original cartridge, 9x19 and other cartridges for which the design has been simply resized (10mm, .40S&W, .357Sig).
mobocracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 18:44   #220
philkryder

Quote:
Originally posted by mobocracy
My gut instinct is that the original Glock design for the Austrian military was a marvel of engineering:

Minimal weight, nearly indestructable modern materials, huge capacity and designed to be extremely reliable under the most awful of conditions, and I think the looser chamber with the wider taper was part of that reliability package.

I also think, though, that this design philosophy doesn't necessarily "fit" for weapons that aren't going to be used in a non-combat environment. I think most guns, including most LEO guns and virtually all civilian CCW guns, don't spend a couple of weeks in the mud/rain/weather or really get all that dirty, or at least not in-the-field combat dirty.

Which I think means that some of the design aspects, such as the loose chamber, need to be re-thought in terms of the way many people actually use some of the other calibers (.45, 10mm -- heavily reloaded) and perhaps in light of the pressure differences between the original cartridge, 9x19 and other cartridges for which the design has been simply resized (10mm, .40S&W, .357Sig).

What is the "downside" of the current design that rethinking might change?

Good ammo, that is within spec works JUST FINE in millions of Glocks everyday....

9x19 at Nato levels is relatively high pressure.

As was pointed out in one of the very early posts in this thread, the "loose support" in the chamber allows BRASS failure as a "safety valve" rather than catastrophic chamber or barrel failure. It does more than just ensure reliable feeding.

The loose fit is "a good thing" (tm)...
40 club #137