Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-28-2014, 16:16   #1
Markk9

10mm Glock 20, Tell me about this gun.

I'm looking very hard at getting a Glock 20. I have a 34 that i shoot IDAP and USPSA. Years ago I had Colt Delta, and I liked it, but traded it. Tell me about the Glock 20 and reloading for it, compared to the 1911 platform.
Pennsylvania Glockers Club #121
Markk9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 17:09   #2
tenforme

In my humble opinion the Gen 3 G20 (and smaller G29) are the only guns that handle full power 10mm loads well (as distinct to the pathetic .40S&W level loads that the major brands produce in 10mm).

Underwood produce the best performing range of 10mm ammunition - with muzzle energies beyond 700lb.ft. I have shot 1000's of them out of my Gen 3 G20 SF without any issue.

Another benefit to the G20 is that there are lots of aftermarket barrel options to explore. For example, I have a .40S&W barrel that gives me a low cost option for plinking. Or you can go in the opposite direction and fit a 9x25 Dillon barrel and explore shooting at muzzle velocities up in the 1900 ft/sec's.

Last edited by tenforme; 07-28-2014 at 23:03.. Reason: Added that mine is Gen 3 and SF
tenforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 21:11   #3
_The_Shadow
Ret. Fireman

The G-20 4th gen seem to be having issues with the higher impulse ammo, they will run with some of the milder ammo.

The Gen2 and Gen3's including the G-20SF have been working very well using the higher impulse ammo. So do some research before you buy!
_The_Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 11:36   #4
Taterhead
Counting Beans

If you only have one Glock, the G20 is the one. It is so versatile when exploited via reloading/handloading. It is a big gun, but not intolerably so. The G20 is particulary effective at gobbling recoil too. The hottest ammo is really no big deal to shoot.

I frequently carry mine, and it is my companion in the Idaho wilderness. Good ammo capacity. Common to all Glocks is simplicity of operation, maintenance, and detail stripping.

The Gen 3s are known to be robust and tolerant of a huge range of ammo. Mine is absolutely flawless no matter what I feed it. 99% of the ammo through my G20 is made on my reloading bench. My gun has cycled everything from mouse farts (180s @ 830ish) to smoking hot (135s @ 1700 fps), 200s @ 1200+, and virtually every other weight and velocity combination available in 40 bore. It is also my primary gun for games like IDPA. I use the stock barrel.

Only cycling failures have come from an AM RSA and when my ejector began to wear. I prefer the stock RSA, and it is replaced every 3k rounds at about $8.

There is nothing particularly different about loading 10mm in general, or for the G20 in particular. Well, I guess there is one difference. Unlike other service cartridges, 10mm is one where you likely will need to actually buy brass vs using range pickups. I get 9 loads (at least!) from new Starline brass, and I highly recommend getting on the list at Starline and buying direct. Best prices. Good people.

So I guess you could say that I'm giving a ringing endorsement for the Gen 3 G20 if you are a reloading. If not, then it is really expensive to be able to enjoy all that the G20 has to offer.
Taterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 10:40   #5
Andrew Wiggin

It shoots heat seeking baby killer bullets with explosive tips that make baby SEALS cry. It is powered by unicorn blood and imbued with the essence of the ancients. It was conceived by the dark one himself in the space between heartbeats.

The 10 Ring

A whole mess o' 10mm (and a few other caliber) ballistic tests here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Andrew Wiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 20:23   #6
blastfact

The King of Glocks is the G20. I've never put a round through the OEM whore loose chamber. Every shot has been through a LW Barrel. And the stock RSA went in the trash very quick after some frame battering. 22lb recoil spring and SS rod run great with no frame battering.

I wouldn't know anything about running bunny fart .40 short and weak class ammo in my G20. If I wanted to shoot .40 short & weak I would have bought a short chambered .40 caliber pistol.

The 10mm has been a joy to work with on the reloading bench. As has the G20's Queen, Her Majesty G31 .357 Sig.

Last edited by blastfact; 07-30-2014 at 20:25..
blastfact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 06:36   #7
agtman
10mm Spartiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastfact View Post
The King of Glocks is the G20. I've never put a round through the OEM whore loose chamber. Every shot has been through a LW Barrel. And the stock RSA went in the trash very quick after some frame battering. 22lb recoil spring and SS rod run great with no frame battering.
I wouldn't know anything about running bunny fart .40 short and weak class ammo in my G20. If I wanted to shoot .40 short & weak I would have bought a short chambered .40 caliber pistol.
The 10mm has been a joy to work with on the reloading bench. * * *
Agree with Blastfact. He makes the same point I've been trying to highlight for some years now.

If all you want to do is shoot .40-level 10mm ammo, skip the 10mm altogether and just get a .40. But if for most of your 10mm shooting (say, 80% of the time), you want to shoot at real 10mm energy levels and only sometimes at the .40-level, then pick up a LWD stock-length .40 tube for your G20. It's a quick swap-in/out proposition. You'll still use the stock 10mm recoil assembly and 10mm mags. All you need is the .40 barrel.

The 10mm itself is a very forgiving cartridge to reload for, and you'll find a arse-ton of reloading data, tips, and experiences on the 10mmReloading Forum next door, where the experts hang out. It's pitfully easy to work up an accurate, full-throttle pet load for your gun.

As noted, because I've got a spare .40 tube for my G20 (and one for my G29 as well), I don't waste bench time reloading 10mm to the .40-level. I just shoot whatever cheap factory .40 ammo I can find - but frankly, I don't shoot much of that very often. For me, 95% of my shooting time is spent enjoying my G20 with hot 10mm loads. That's what it was designed to handle.

Also agree with Blastfact's advice on the configuration.
I EDC my G29, so my G20 is set up for primary use as a heavy-duty outdoor gun which gets loaded up "hot & heavy," even though it does see occasional winter-time CCW. It's running a stock-length LWD 10mm tube with a 22lb ISMI captured spring on a SS rod. I shoot it extensively with handloads using 180gn or 200gn bullets, which run anywhere from the upper mid-range to near nuclear. I've had no reliability issues thus far with this set-up.

The 10 Ring

Enjoy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by agtman; 08-01-2014 at 17:56..
agtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 11:07   #8
Andrew Wiggin

I have to disagree on a minor point: .40 S&W offers very good performance for defense against humans. Likewise, 10mm at .40 S&W pressure or a little above performs very well. There's nothing wrong with loading 10mm to the lower end of its potential. In fact, that's the real strength of the cartridge: versatility. All of that extra flash and recoil that you get with nookular loads brings little terminal benefit for human targets. If you're carrying a 10mm for defense, you're best off using loads that are somewhat moderate. If you are carrying it for large animal defense, a heavy solid moving as fast as you can push it makes more sense. If you want to hunt small to medium sized game, a light bullet screaming along at 1,500 fps or more can do the job but offers a flatter trajectory.

For example, I carry my Witness with a magazine of 165 gr Gold Dots at about 1,300 fps and a magazine of 200 gr XTP at about 1,150 fps. When I'm in town, the Gold Dots are in the gun. In the woods, the XTPs are in the gun. I'm working with a friend on finding an alloy that will get a 195 gr Mihec to penetrate deeply and expand moderately.

Old 07-31-2014, 13:22   #9
MinervaDoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Wiggin View Post
Likewise, 10mm at .40 S&W pressure or a little above performs very well. There's nothing wrong with loading 10mm to the lower end of its potential. In fact, that's the real strength of the cartridge: versatility.
I'm one of those guys who uses the stock barrel and reloads the 10mm at the bottom of the spectrum. The cartridge is very versatile and can be loaded with bullets weighing anywhere from 135 grains up to (and even over) 200 grains.
You can fire rounds at .40 S&W speeds, or fire the hot stuff.

I got my first 10mm because the round sounded like it would be fun to reload. I was pleasantly surprised that the 10mm is very accurate, and that both the G29 and G20 soak up recoil very nicely with their polymer frames.

The extra added bonus for us brass chasers (reloaders) is that the spent brass is easy to spot when you're at the range. There's nothing else sized like it.

MinervaDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 13:26   #10
tenforme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Wiggin View Post
I have to disagree on a minor point: .40 S&W offers very good performance for defense against humans. Likewise, 10mm at .40 S&W pressure or a little above performs very well. There's nothing wrong with loading 10mm to the lower end of its potential. In fact, that's the real strength of the cartridge: versatility. All of that extra flash and recoil that you get with nookular loads brings little terminal benefit for human targets. If you're carrying a 10mm for defense, you're best off using loads that are somewhat moderate. If you are carrying it for large animal defense, a heavy solid moving as fast as you can push it makes more sense. If you want to hunt small to medium sized game, a light bullet screaming along at 1,500 fps or more can do the job but offers a flatter trajectory.

For example, I carry my Witness with a magazine of 165 gr Gold Dots at about 1,300 fps and a magazine of 200 gr XTP at about 1,150 fps. When I'm in town, the Gold Dots are in the gun. In the woods, the XTPs are in the gun. I'm working with a friend on finding an alloy that will get a 195 gr Mihec to penetrate deeply and expand moderately.
I agree with these points and would add that .40S&W level loads out of a G20 feel like shooting a (9mm) G34. The extra mass of the G20's slide eats up the recoil, making follow up shots fast and accurate.

Bulk FMJ .40S&W can be purchased on line for 50% of the cost of 10mm - which makes for very cost effective practice ammo - either with the stock 10mm barrel or with a drop in .40S&W.
tenforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 18:17   #11
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Send a message via AIM to nickE10mm Send a message via MSN to nickE10mm Send a message via Yahoo to nickE10mm
I could (and HAVE) gone ON and ON about how much I love the G20SF (Gen3 specifically) and how amazing and versatile the 10mm cartridge is .... but I will let others do as they have been.

One interesting fact is that the slide weight of the G20 is actually nearly the SAME WEIGHT as my 6" 1911 LONGSLIDE custom hunting pistol ... so, if that gives you an idea of how well engineered the G20 is, good.

The pistol is powerful, accurate, reliable, VERSATILE, customizable with a MILLION quality accessories, high capacity and I personally believe its SIZE makes it somewhat of a novelty (like the Desert Eagle is, in a way).

GET ONE NOW!!!
10 Ring #1033 - Longslide #1045 - 10mm Loader #1066

Why do I carry a 10mm?
“Because a 9mm only kills your body… the 10mm kills your soul.”
nickE10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 18:29   #12
Andrew Wiggin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenforme View Post
I agree with these points and would add that .40S&W level loads out of a G20 feel like shooting a (9mm) G34. The extra mass of the G20's slide eats up the recoil, making follow up shots fast and accurate.

Bulk FMJ .40S&W can be purchased on line for 50% of the cost of 10mm - which makes for very cost effective practice ammo - either with the stock 10mm barrel or with a drop in .40S&W.
Wait, you pay for .40 S&w brass? People literally just give it to me. Piles of it to find as range pickups, to.

ETA: wait, I'm a moron. You were talking about loaded ammo. Derp.

Last edited by Andrew Wiggin; 07-31-2014 at 18:31..
Old 08-01-2014, 15:38   #13
bac1023

The G20 is one of the best guns Glock ever built, in my opinion.

I also think its one of the best 10mms ever made.

The 10 Ring

The 10 Ring

bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 16:41   #14
happie2shoot

Much good info here, I too don't load 10mm down, that is for 40 brass and with my
6'' 40 LW barrel for the g20 I shoot a 200 wfn at 1280 to 1300fps, seating the boolits
out to 1.225''.

The 6.6'' 10mm barrel shoots 200s at 1350fps, also have a 357sig and a 9mm barrel
too, both 6''.

The 357 UW 124gr go 1604fps and the 9mm UW 115+p+ go 1550fps.

The 10mm is getting close to my 357s in power, 187gr fngc at 1500 to 1550 from
6 to 6.5''.

Yes the g20 is VERSATILE.

Last edited by happie2shoot; 08-01-2014 at 16:42..
happie2shoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 04:48   #15
4949shooter

Thr Biggest, Baddest Glock

Old 08-02-2014, 07:53   #16
Markk9

I picked up a G20 Gen4 this week. Plan to take it to the range today. Being Gen4, what should I look our for? I would like to work up some "full" power handloads for defense, looking to get a 200gr HP out the tube close to 1150 fps.

Last edited by Markk9; 08-02-2014 at 18:14..
Old 08-02-2014, 08:13   #17
_The_Shadow
Ret. Fireman

Markk9, congrats with your new G-20 4th gen, They seem to be running well with the lower impulse ammo, although some have worked quite well with the upper performance ammo, there have been some that just wouldn't run well with the higher impulse ammo.

It is said Glock knows about the issues and working on them.

Please accept an invite to the 10mmFireams forum here; http://10mm-firearms.com/index.php
Old 08-02-2014, 13:24   #18
Markk9

Quote:
Originally Posted by _The_Shadow View Post
Markk9, congrats with your new G-20 4th gen, They seem to be running well with the lower impulse ammo, although some have worked quite well with the upper performance ammo, there have been some that just wouldn't run well with the higher impulse ammo.

It is said Glock knows about the issues and working on them.

Please accept an invite to the 10mmFireams forum here; http://10mm-firearms.com/index.php
Thanks for the invite, I joined the forum.
Old 08-02-2014, 16:14   #19
_The_Shadow
Ret. Fireman

Good deal Mark...As a handloader, you will find the pull-down info there very interesting study.
Old 08-02-2014, 16:39   #20
Clusterfrack

Hey Mark, welcome--I bet you're going to like your G4 20 as much as I like mine.

I found that the OEM recoil assembly is fine for low power 10mm loads, but that an ISMI 24# spring on a Lone Wolf guide rod and Gen 4 adaptor works well for full power loads (e.g. 180gr XTP @ 1300fps).