Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-24-2014, 21:59   #1
Irish26

Is 10mm worth it if you don't reload?

Sorry if this has been discussed before. I couldn't find anything on it.

I am seriously considering a G20. I shot my first 10mm a few months ago and loved it. I love such a powerful auto handgun. However the rounds I shot were reloaded and I have heard that you just can't get the full potential/power of a 10mm unless you reload. Is this true?

I know reloading will be much cheaper in the long run but right now I don't really have time (going to be first time father very soon). One day I will hopefully. I'm not overly concerned with the price. I just hate to get a 10mm when it won't be much more than a .45ACP because I'm not a reloader.

So guys, what do you think? Is there ammo the shelves that will do the 10mm justice or should I just move on?

A reputation takes a lifetime to build but only seconds to destroy.
Irish26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 22:33   #2
orangeride

Get the 10mm. Order bulk ammo from Georgia arms. Good loads. Hotter than .40 but not full power. Great pricing. Save your cases and either sell them or start reloading later.
orangeride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 00:07   #3
vikingsoftpaw

Not True.

Buffalo Bore and the old standby Winchester 175 gr Silvertip are full power rounds.

I also liked to shoot the reduced power 180 gr Fed-lite too. At 980 fps the recoil was pleasant.

Owning a 10mm 1026 S&W got me into hand-loading really quick. It was the only way I could afford to shoot it.

10mm is a niche cartridge that can be hard to find other than gun shops. The local X-mark won't have it.

"Though defensive violence will always be 'a sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." - St. Augustine
vikingsoftpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 00:11   #4
Angry Fist
Lifetime Membership
The Original®

Get it. Might as well reload, too.
I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, s**t-kickers, Methodists, and the GTDS.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Angry Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 00:53   #5
PhotoFeller

The cost depends on how much you'll shoot a 10mm.

If you plan to use it as a regular firing range fun gun, it may not be affordable. If you want to shoot 20 rounds/month because you love the caliber and want to stay 'in touch' with it, it would be expensive recreation compared to less powerful ammo but shouldn't break the bank.

I don't understanding devoting considerable time and expense to hand loading unless you want to shoot that boomer a lot and/or rolling your own is something you just want to do. Lots of folks enjoy reloading for various reasons, and you might like it too.

Last edited by PhotoFeller; 11-25-2014 at 08:52..
PhotoFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 05:07   #6
vaquero aleman
"ah-lay-mahn"

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeride View Post
Get the 10mm. Order bulk ammo from Georgia arms. Good loads. Hotter than .40 but not full power. Great pricing. Save your cases and either sell them or start reloading later.
I agree, but I would place an emphasis on getting bulk. Georgia Arms usually has ammo in stock but they go through periods similar to a drought, where they just can't seem to get want you want back in stock. Of course, the ammo scare didn't exactly help things.

I find that G-Arms has very consistent loads, and I have had few, if any, malfunctions with their ammo.
G2930SF, G38 w/lasermax The 21 Club #7663, The 10 Ring #7663, The Bull Dawgs Club #7663, US Army Veteran

Old 11-25-2014, 13:33   #7
redbaron007
Lifetime Membership
A Nice Prick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoFeller View Post
The cost depends on how much you'll shoot a 10mm.

If you plan to use it as a regular firing range fun gun, it may not be affordable. If you want to shoot 20 rounds/month because you love the caliber and want to stay 'in touch' with it, it would be expensive recreation compared to less powerful ammo but shouldn't break the bank.

I don't understanding devoting considerable time and expense to hand loading unless you want to shoot that boomer a lot and/or rolling your own is something you just want to do. Lots of folks enjoy reloading for various reasons, and you might like it too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaquero aleman View Post
I agree, but I would place an emphasis on getting bulk. Georgia Arms usually has ammo in stock but they go through periods similar to a drought, where they just can't seem to get want you want back in stock. Of course, the ammo scare didn't exactly help things.

I find that G-Arms has very consistent loads, and I have had few, if any, malfunctions with their ammo.
Echo GA. Save the brass and if not reloading, sell it. They generally use Starline brass.

For your upper end loads, look to Buffalo Bore and Underwood. Shot them both in my G20 and G32(357sig); I'm a little partial to Underwood. If you plan on shooting a lot....think about reloading.

red
TopGun *357sig* Club - #2632
The 10 Ring #00720

R.I.P. Cajunator® ~ R.I.P. JTull7
R.I.P. Mullah (aka El_Ron1) ~ R.I.P. GioaJack ~ R.I.P. Okie
redbaron007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 14:54   #8
SmithietheFox

Quote:
^^^^This 100%. When you start really going thru 10mm (like thousands and thousands a year), revisit the idea of reloading.

Always looking for German Weatherby Customs and Stoner 63A parts and accessories.
SmithietheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 14:55   #9
BrentC

A G20 will probably be my next gun purchase. My plan is to buy a conversion barrel for .40 S&W and shoot about 2/3's .40 S&W and about 1/3 10mm just to save some money. Being a big guy, I can handle and actually prefer a heavier gun so I think I may actuall prefer shooting .40 S&W out of a 20 rather than my 23.

Also being a big guy, I can conceal larger guns than most so I may just conceal the 20 in cooler months and leave the 23 in the safe. That would give me two more shots and more powerfull shots for self defense.
BrentC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 15:27   #10
BrentC

Quote:
GA Arms says there 10mm is about 1100 fps, is that about what you would have guessed?
Old 11-25-2014, 15:32   #11
BrentC

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron007 View Post
Echo GA. Save the brass and if not reloading, sell it. They generally use Starline brass.

For your upper end loads, look to Buffalo Bore and Underwood. Shot them both in my G20 and G32(357sig); I'm a little partial to Underwood. If you plan on shooting a lot....think about reloading.

red

From looking at GA Arms and Freedom Munitions sites, it looks like bought in bulk, 10mm would run approx 41 or 42 cents a round. If you save your brass, would you be able to knock off say 5 to 10 cents per round off of that?
Old 11-25-2014, 18:25   #12
swinokur

For SD, I buy Underwood. For range use, Freedom or GA.

I don't reload (Live in an apt.)

Still love the 10.
swinokur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 18:39   #13
MinervaDoe

I just bought some 155 grain, 10mm Core Bond to keep laying around the house as a self defense round. I'll probably never shoot it, but I'd rather have factory ammo if I'm involved in a shooting.
ANYWAY, they advertise their muzzle velocity at like 1,450 fps, which I believe is hotter than anything I'd load up myself, so ....
Quote:
I have heard that you just can't get the full potential/power of a 10mm unless you reload. Is this true?
No.

Quote:
I'm not overly concerned with the price. I just hate to get a 10mm when it won't be much more than a .45ACP because I'm not a reloader.
Actually, .45ACP generates about 370 foot pounds of energy, while you don't have to breathe on 10mm real hard to get it well over 500 foot pounds.

Georgia Arms
10mm 180gr Speer Bonded Unicore Hollow Point +P Velocity: 1150 FPS = 528 foot pounds

10mm 155gr Speer Bonded Unicore Hollow Point +P
Velocity: 1375 FPS = 627 foot pounds

Compare .45 ACP 230 Grain @ 850 fps = 369 foot pounds

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by MinervaDoe; 11-25-2014 at 18:49.. Reason: Ft. lbs Energy guestimates courtesy of Hornady reloading Vol. 2
MinervaDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:19   #14
redbaron007
Lifetime Membership
A Nice Prick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentC View Post
From looking at GA Arms and Freedom Munitions sites, it looks like bought in bulk, 10mm would run approx 41 or 42 cents a round. If you save your brass, would you be able to knock off say 5 to 10 cents per round off of that?
Since I haven't began the reloading process, my comments are only questimations on cost and what others have told me. To answer your question, yes, if not more depending on how you purchase your supplies.

red
TopGun *357sig* Club - #2632
The 10 Ring #00720

R.I.P. Cajunator® ~ R.I.P. JTull7
R.I.P. Mullah (aka El_Ron1) ~ R.I.P. GioaJack ~ R.I.P. Okie
redbaron007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:31   #15
Irish26

Thanks for all the great info! I'm now officially sold. Looks like I know what Santa is getting me for Christmas

And I will go ahead and start saving my brass because I do plan on reloading one day.

A reputation takes a lifetime to build but only seconds to destroy.
Irish26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:07   #16
MinervaDoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentC View Post
If you save your brass, would you be able to knock off say 5 to 10 cents per round off of that?
I did a spreadsheet on it about five years ago, and with those prices, I was loading plated 10mm for eleven cents a round. I'm sure prices have gone up some, but still saving more than five or ten cents a round.

If you're figuring it out yourself, there are 7000 grains in a pound of powder.

Last edited by MinervaDoe; Yesterday at 11:09.. Reason: added smiley face
Old Yesterday, 11:56   #17
MinervaDoe

Okay, I got off my butt and did a calculation with current prices with a purchase price of a four pound container of Unique, 500 rounds of Ranier 165 grain, 1000 Winchester large pistol primers. Cost when reusing brass is 18.5 cents
Cost with new Starline brass (directly from Starline) is 37.25 cents.

If I buy 1000 bullets, 5000 primers and eight pounds of powder, I can reload brass for 17.4 cents per round.

My two cents worth.

Last edited by MinervaDoe; Yesterday at 12:08..
Old Yesterday, 15:58   #18
panthercreekleather

Get the 10mm. You can always get a Conversion barrel for 9x25 Dillon and 40 S&W if you want to shoot those calibers. Georgia Arms usually runs some pretty good deals on their 'Canned Heat' 10mm rounds. Also, Freedom Munitions has it on occasion for an affordable price.

Use Promo Code "glocktalk" at checkout for FREE SHIPPING.
panthercreekleather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 23:24   #19
Taterhead
Counting Beans

Get the G20. Underwood or Buffalo Bore will give you the real deal, and that is well north of the performance of .45 Auto. Save your brass. You'll like the cartridge, and you'll likely enjoy reloading when you are ready to get to that step. THEN the G20 can really be exploited for its virtually unmatched versatility and ammo costs will be greatly reduced.

EDIT: At this point, I'd recommend the Gen 3 G20 (standard or SF). It seems like there are too many reports of Gen 4 issues. The Gen 3s are fantastic.

Last edited by Taterhead; Yesterday at 23:26..
Taterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:01   #20
BrentC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinervaDoe View Post
Okay, I got off my butt and did a calculation with current prices with a purchase price of a four pound container of Unique, 500 rounds of Ranier 165 grain, 1000 Winchester large pistol primers. Cost when reusing brass is 18.5 cents
Cost with new Starline brass (directly from Starline) is 37.25 cents.

If I buy 1000 bullets, 5000 primers and eight pounds of powder, I can reload brass for 17.4 cents per round.

My two cents worth.
Thanks for the info. How many rounds of 10mm should four pounds of Unique charge? What is a four pound container of Unique going for in your area?