GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-28-2014, 09:03   #1
Gunruner1917

Do you run a box stock G20/G20sf/G20gen4 recoil spring and barrel?

I'm new to the G20 10mm but have been shooting Glocks and reloading everything from .44mag to .32ACP for decades. I just recently purchased a G20sf and did some reloading. Everything works great including the factory 17# recoil spring. I do not intend to change anything other than perhaps a Glock adjustable rear sight. I'm not a person to baby a gun and I've never had an issue with Glock rubber sights. So they stay, they work. I have some full power loadings that function accurately and run 100%. Recoil isn't any heavier than a stout .357 loading in a model 28 Smith. I intend to run the factory everything during the entire lifespan of my G20sf.
How many of you folks are running your guns stock? I'm not talking about fancy stuff like finishes, sights, grip plugs and chrome goodies, connectors. I'm talking recoil springs, barrel. I read a lot of folks having problems with ammo FTF, FTE with aftermarket and the new gen4 RSG. I've never see anyone say the factory recoil spring didn't work in the gen3's. Has anyone had their frame destroyed from using the factory 17lb recoil spring? I read the "battering" everyone is getting.............??
Old 03-28-2014, 09:36   #2
K_Rasmussen
NRA Life Member

stock on my 29 & 20, shot lots of double tap ammo.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:51   #3
Taterhead
Counting Beans

Stock RSA and stock barrel on my Gen3 20. I have an AM RSA, but haven't used it for a few years.

Mild to heavy. It runs everything I feed it. The only thing I would change are the sights. But every time I think about an upgrade, there seems to be another gun or reloading thing that comes up that I'd rather spend $100 on. Hasn't been enough of an irritation to make it a high priority.
Taterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:05   #4
Gunruner1917

Thanks for the feedback folks!
Old 03-28-2014, 10:17   #5
WeeWilly

I run a captive 22lb ISMI spring on a SS guide rod in my G20SF's. I can't keep the slide from battering my frame with hot loads, so I run the heavier spring.

Ironically this 22lb spring will cycle my lightest 40S&W loads shot from the guns.

Last edited by WeeWilly; 03-28-2014 at 10:17..
WeeWilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 11:47   #6
K_Rasmussen
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeWilly View Post
I run a captive 22lb ISMI spring on a SS guide rod in my G20SF's. I can't keep the slide from battering my frame with hot loads, so I run the heavier spring.

Ironically this 22lb spring will cycle my lightest 40S&W loads shot from the guns.
How does one know if frame battering is taking place? Can you feel it or do you inspect?
Old 03-28-2014, 12:00   #7
WeeWilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Rasmussen View Post
How does one know if frame battering is taking place? Can you feel it or do you inspect?

The lower front part of the slide will slam into the plastic in front of the front slide lug on the frame. The plastic will start to mushroom.

If you are unsure what I just said, take the barrel and recoil spring out of the slide and remount it, slide it all the way back and you will see where the slide impacts the frame if not stopped.

This is only an issue when you are shooting hot loads (like 1250fps+ for a 180gr FMJ, etc.)

I think on some guns the heavier spring will also help a little bit in the timing of the lockup, which may let you get a little farther down the road before you start seeing issues like blown primers and smiles with some powders, but really if that is an issue, you probably have gone too far anyway.

BTW, the downside of the 22lb spring is more felt recoil, on all rounds.

Last edited by WeeWilly; 03-28-2014 at 12:03..
Old 03-28-2014, 12:50   #8
orangeride

All stock g20sf. The gun runs worse with heavy loads and heavier RSA's. It will even have ftf with a brand new oem RSA and hot loads until the spring sets in and then everything runs fine. As far as frame battering goes by gun has piles of hot ammo through it. In the first few thousand rounds I was seeing some battering where the slide hits the frame. I took an exacto blade and trimmed off some of the lose plastic. It really hasn't progressed in the last several thousand rounds. I looked at a bunch of pictures of beat up 40sw frames that where like 100% worse than mine so I decided to stop worrying about it.
orangeride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 13:51   #9
todd_g

My only mod is running LW barrels for my 29 and 20. My accuracy has improved enough to justify the $120.00 mod. Other than that just meprolight night sights.
Old 03-28-2014, 14:06   #10
LASTRESORT20
LongTerm-Guy

Quote:

Myself also....
LASTRESORT20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 14:20   #11
Gunruner1917

keep the info coming folks. I appreciate all the information I can gather. Can anyone show a picture of the frame battering? I'd really like to see where it is and how it looks. Thanks again........Mike
Old 03-28-2014, 14:28   #12
moglk47

I got my g20sf used and don't know about the spring but it has a 3.5# ghost trigger, extended slide release, Burris Fastfire red dot and a 6" Storm Lake barrel. I really like this setup and it shoots great.
moglk47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 14:49   #13
K_Rasmussen
NRA Life Member

Quote:
The lower front part of the slide will slam into the plastic in front of the front slide lug on the frame. The plastic will start to mushroom.

If you are unsure what I just said, take the barrel and recoil spring out of the slide and remount it, slide it all the way back and you will see where the slide impacts the frame if not stopped.

This is only an issue when you are shooting hot loads (like 1250fps+ for a 180gr FMJ, etc.)
I have some battering on my G20 rtf2, I shoot and carry DT 180gr GD's . The arrows show the radius of front of the slide. The 10 Ring

Last edited by K_Rasmussen; 03-28-2014 at 14:56..
K_Rasmussen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 16:34   #14
dl645

Had to sell my G20SF, but ran all sorts through it with stock springs with no issue. Full power and FBI Lite. Only got about 2,000rds through it but never had any issues. I did have night sights installed on it, but nothing else. Will eventually replace it but may go with a Gen4 for the better grip texture.
dl645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 16:47   #15
Remington 870

I run a stock spring in my glock 20 sf and have shot hot loads including underwood ammunition.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Remington 870 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 16:58   #16
WeeWilly

Quote:
I have some battering on my G20 rtf2, I shoot and carry DT 180gr GD's . The arrows show the radius of front of the slide. The 10 Ring

That doesn't look bad at all. I wouldn't be concerned if that is the extent of the battering.

One person's hot load is another person's everyday load. Looks like that DT isn't doing much of a job on your frame, I probably wouldn't sacrifice the softer shooting stock spring at that point. I would just keep an eye on it, if you get some real mushrooming, then maybe switch then, the heavier springs are pretty easy to come by.

Another consideration is with the heavier spring, along with the higher felt recoil, it can cause problems if you have any limp wristing going on as the gun (as a unit) will be moving back with more force, any limp wrist tendency will be exacerbated with the heavier spring.

Last edited by WeeWilly; 03-28-2014 at 17:01..
Old 03-28-2014, 17:16   #17
K_Rasmussen
NRA Life Member

Quote:
That doesn't look bad at all. I wouldn't be concerned if that is the extent of the battering.

One person's hot load is another person's everyday load. Looks like that DT isn't doing much of a job on your frame, I probably wouldn't sacrifice the softer shooting stock spring at that point. I would just keep an eye on it, if you get some real mushrooming, then maybe switch then, the heavier springs are pretty easy to come by.

Another consideration is with the heavier spring, along with the higher felt recoil, it can cause problems if you have any limp wristing going on as the gun (as a unit) will be moving back with more force, any limp wrist tendency will be exacerbated with the heavier spring.
is there a compromise between 17 and 22 pound springs?
Old 03-28-2014, 17:16   #18
Gunruner1917

Thanks for the picture!...........Mike
Old 03-28-2014, 17:49   #19
WeeWilly

Quote:

Sure. The spring style I use is the ISMI spring, they make a 20lb spring and it goes on the same style captive guide rod (the end is a button head screw that retains the spring). I think others like Wolff also make spring rates in between with even more choices.

One thing I have observed is I am not sure how linear the springs are when it comes to actual rate, or maybe how they effect felt recoil and slow the slide down. For instance, when I installed the 24lb spring I got a very big step up in felt recoil over the 22lb spring, even though it was only +2lbs supposedly in spring rate.
Old 03-30-2014, 11:30   #20
DAVIDF

Quote:
Yes, Wolff Gunsprings sells springs in 10, 11, 12, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19, 20, 22, & 24lb weights. I have found that the 20lb weight works well with light to mid-range loads, but I'm still experimenting.
DAVIDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 14:10   #21
Gunruner1917

Where has your factory spring let you down?
Old 04-01-2014, 10:45   #22
FYRELT

20sf,6inch kkm barrel,24lb recoil spring,3.5 conector,plain black real sight,white dot front,shooting 180gr xtp with 14.1grs aa#9 win lpp,i am getting 1.5 inch groups at 20 yards.
FYRELT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 11:19   #23
WeeWilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunruner1917 View Post
Where has your factory spring let you down?

In my Gen 3 G20SF (single spring setup), when running my hot loads, I get frame battering on the slide. A heavier spring keeps the slide from banging the frame, mushrooming it.

This seems to be a gun to gun and load to load kind of thing (regarding how bad the battering might be) or for that matter a personal choice on how important frame battering is to the owner of the gun. I guess YMMV applies.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:31   #24
bmoore

I run a Wolf stainless steel guide rod/22lb spring combo with a Lone Wolf stock length barrel. I reload all my 10mm ammo and it is STOUT real deal 10mm, fun gun to shoot.
Old 04-01-2014, 13:07   #25
Arnold Kuhl

Quote:
Originally Posted by FYRELT View Post
20sf,6inch kkm barrel,24lb recoil spring,3.5 conector,plain black real sight,white dot front,shooting 180gr xtp with 14.1grs aa#9 win lpp,i am getting 1.5 inch groups at 20 yards.
Have you tried this same load in your stock bbl.? If so, what kind of accuracy are you getting with the stock bbl.? I'm considering a KKM for my Gen4 G20, but can't decide if I want the stock length or the 6." The stock-length KKM bbl. I have for my 21SF is very accurate at reasonable ranges.

AK
Arnold Kuhl is offline   Reply With Quote