Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-02-2014, 22:17   #1
GLOCKgeo

G20sf 6" Factory Barrel Question???

I just bought a factory 6" Glock barrel that I will be using for pig and possibly deer hunting. I am running stock internals in my G20sf but I was wondering if I should upgrade the recoil spring to a heavier weight? I do reload for and will be shooting 180 and 200 grain bullets out of it. ..if so what weight would you recommend? Thanks- Geo
Old 04-02-2014, 22:22   #2
Taterhead
Counting Beans

I'd recommend trying your hunting loads and see if you detect a problem with the stock RSA. I suspect that you will not have a problem. When I went to a heavier weight, it induced the occasional failures to feed with heavy/hot ammo.
Taterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:55   #3
WeeWilly

I run a 22lb ISMI recoil spring on a captive stainless steel guide rod on my Gen 3 G20SF. I started using it when I was experimenting with very hot loads to help keep the slide from battering the frame, this was with stock length barrels. I found that this spring will cycle even my light 40S&W loads in the gun, so I have left it in.

I have not experienced any feed issues running the heavier spring (as noted even with very light loads).

On the other hand, the longer barrel adds weight to the setup, so depending on the load you are running a stock spring might be fine with regard to slide to frame impacts.

In addition, the heavier spring does yield heavier felt recoil, for me I have shot it so much I don't notice the difference.

I think I would give the stock spring a try and see how it goes. Keep an eye on the frame where the slide can impact it under recoil and if it isn't mushrooming any with your hunting loads, stick with stock.
WeeWilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 10:10   #4
Taterhead
Counting Beans

Willy, is your spring the flat wire type similar to the stock spring? The Wolff that I have is round wire.

I have the same experience with light loads: flawless feeding but more felt recoil. It is only hotter heavier ammo that fails to feed. I think the fast forward slide return velocity gets there too soon to properly collect the next round sometimes.

I initially got some of the deformed plastic that you describe. It came on a long time ago and basically leveled out to where it hasn't progressed for years.
Old 04-03-2014, 11:35   #5
WeeWilly

Yes, it is one of those flat wire ISMI springs. I use a captive style stainless guide rod with the button head screw in the end that holds the whole assembly together. I bought this rig from Glockmeister.

I tried the 24lb version as well and the felt recoil was a LOT heavier (like doubling it), so I am not sure we get the kind of consistency people might imagine when they buy an aftermarket spring in general. I have long thought that might play a role in people's different experiences.

I just like the idea of the flat spring as coil bind has to be improved.
Old 04-03-2014, 13:34   #6
GLOCKgeo

Thanks guys for the insight. Being a factory 6" barrel with less support than the other 6" after market barrels do you think it would be wise to go with a heavier RSA? This would allow the spent casing to spend more time (supported) in the chamber. Changing the RSA to a heavier weight would obviously produce more felt recoil due to the extra energy needed to compress the recoil spring.

What are your thoughts?

I don't have my mind set on a heavier RSA just trying to educate myself on the options. Thanks again -Geo
Old 04-03-2014, 17:24   #7
WeeWilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOCKgeo View Post
Thanks guys for the insight. Being a factory 6" barrel with less support than the other 6" after market barrels do you think it would be wise to go with a heavier RSA? This would allow the spent casing to spend more time (supported) in the chamber. Changing the RSA to a heavier weight would obviously produce more felt recoil due to the extra energy needed to compress the recoil spring.

What are your thoughts?

I don't have my mind set on a heavier RSA just trying to educate myself on the options. Thanks again -Geo

I think you are right about the heavier spring helping with the timing, but unfortunately it is a very small amount and only when you are way around the bend pressure wise, at least in my experience.

For instance, I only saw a delay in smiled brass within about .2gr with a 22lb spring versus a stock one. That is well within the high low variation of a charge to charge difference.

In my experience, slide weight, barrel weight, comps, etc. make a much larger impact on delaying the unlock when you are in the upper reaches pressure wise.

So to net it all out, my opinion is the heavier spring is really about keeping the slide off the frame when you are loading beyond where the books end.

With that 6" barrel, you are going to get a LOT of advantage velocity wise. I think when loading up at max book with the better powders with 180gr and 200gr projectiles, you will be making two holes on most hogs you shoot, unless you are facing them straight on.

Good luck with your experimentation.
Old 04-03-2014, 21:58   #8
happie2shoot

[QUOTE=Taterhead;21131854]
I have the same experience with light loads: flawless feeding but more felt recoil. It is only hotter heavier ammo that fails to feed. I think the fast forward slide return velocity gets there too soon to properly collect the next round sometimes.
QUOTE]

I have read that an extra mag spring will fix that, I hope so
because I am having that problem on the 460rowland and the
10mm/40.
happie2shoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 22:04   #9
Taterhead
Counting Beans

[quote=happie2shoot;21133526]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taterhead View Post
QUOTE]

I have read that an extra mag spring will fix that, I hope so
because I am having that problem on the 460rowland and the
10mm/40.

A heavier mag spring would likely help by lifting the next mag into place sooner, but seemed counterproductive to tune all of my mags to meet the needs of an RSA. The stock is lighter recoiling, and I'm having no issues beating up my frame.
Old 04-03-2014, 23:56   #10
WeeWilly

Tater, I run all stock mag springs as well. On my G20 regardless of RSA and loading (40S&W to super nuke), feed has been perfect. Looking back on it, had I been satisfied with book results, I probably would never had needed the heavier spring.

I just loaded up some Bear Tooth 200gr WFNGC, so maybe I will keep the heavy spring in, one more weekend..
Old 04-04-2014, 06:15   #11
happie2shoot

Tater have you played with the 460 rowland, it can make problems.
Old 04-04-2014, 06:18   #12
happie2shoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeWilly View Post
Tater, I run all stock mag springs as well. On my G20 regardless of RSA and loading (40S&W to super nuke), feed has been perfect. Looking back on it, had I been satisfied with book results, I probably would never had needed the heavier spring.

I just loaded up some Bear Tooth 200gr WFNGC, so maybe I will keep the heavy spring in, one more weekend..
I have been doing the same thing, 200gr wfn, what is your
load data.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:19   #13
WeeWilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by happie2shoot View Post
I have been doing the same thing, 200gr wfn, what is your
load data.

I just loaded up two ladders. One with Longshot and one with VV-N105. I have not shot them yet, hopefully this weekend if it quits raining. On the LS I started at 7.6 and went up to 8.6gr. With the N105, I started at 11.0 and quit at 12.6. These are gas checked so I am hoping I can run them a little faster than I might be able to with PB.

The maximum length I seemed to be able to get away with was 1.250" as anything longer seemed to hang up in the magazines. Based on my hand cycling tests, I am not real optimistic feed wise with my 1911's, these may be Glock only loads.
Old 04-04-2014, 22:19   #14
blastfact

I run 22lb ISMI springs in my G20. They wear out faster than Wolf. But they dont stack like the Wolf's and they don't let the slide slam the frame like the worthless Glock RSA does.

What gets me is I run nothing but ultra hot 9mm in my M&P Talo 9mm and nothing but .45 Super loads in my M&P .45. Both with stock barrels and RSA. There chambers and RSA are far better than anything Glock every built. I'm well over 20k round down range through each of the abused M&P's and they still have there original RSA's in them. No slap or unlock, timing or harmonic issues...

Last edited by blastfact; 04-04-2014 at 22:27..
blastfact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 11:08   #15
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Send a message via AIM to nickE10mm Send a message via MSN to nickE10mm Send a message via Yahoo to nickE10mm
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeWilly View Post
I think you are right about the heavier spring helping with the timing, but unfortunately it is a very small amount and only when you are way around the bend pressure wise, at least in my experience.

For instance, I only saw a delay in smiled brass within about .2gr with a 22lb spring versus a stock one. That is well within the high low variation of a charge to charge difference.

So to net it all out, my opinion is the heavier spring is really about keeping the slide off the frame when you are loading beyond where the books end.

Good luck with your experimentation.
To the OP, I agree with WeeWilly here... and to add to this... I recently had some smiles in new brass in my BN G20SF with near max LS loads with 9.2gr under a 180gr XTP's .... I fired the loads with both stock and 22lb Wolff RSA setups and found that the cases were equally smiled with both RSA setups. In MY case, the heavier RSA didn't make any difference as the smiles were NOT due to early unlocking but rather from less-than-ideal case support in the stock barrel.

I most definitely agree that the single biggest contribution to preventing smiles (aside from toning down your loads) is SLIDE MASS.

Carry on!
10 Ring #1033 - Longslide #1045 - 10mm Loader #1066
http://www.bren-ten.com/website/index.html
Why do I carry a 10mm?
“Because a 9mm only kills your body… the 10mm kills your soul.”
nickE10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 17:29   #16
GLOCKgeo

Thanks guys for the first hand experiences. I will hold off on spending money on an RSA that I may not need and spend that money on some reloading supplies for the Mighty 10mm.
Old 04-07-2014, 22:08   #17
blastfact

I still dont see LongShot as a valid 10mm powder. But 9.4gn under a 124gn XTP or GD hauls the mail in .357 Sig.

What a load!
blastfact is offline   Reply With Quote