Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-27-2012, 20:17   #1
Short Cut
CLM Number 88
PatrioticMember

Help me build a great G20 for carry

One thing I've learned in the ten years I've been here is it is cheaper and wiser to talk things over with the collective before spending the cash. Kinda like the saying that pencil lead is cheaper than machine work.

Although I started carrying G30 years ago I eventually switched over to 1911s and have been carrying a Kimber Eclipse 10mm about the past 5 years. Anyway maybe it is just being static that has me thinking about change.

We all know the G20 is a heck of a firearm and arguably the most firepower available in duty size or smaller handgun. The biggest drawback I have with it is the grip size is too large for the gun to point naturally for me. I can shoot it fine standing at the bench, but drawing and firing always has me making a little adjustment to the left due to the grip size.

This gets me down to the build list. Please let me know if you like/dislike would add or change anything, ok?
  1. Send the frame to Cold Bore Custom - Max grip reduction, undercut trigger guard, full "Bark" texture
  2. Send slide to Glockmeister for some Mepro night sights (thinking about the yellow rear & green front
  3. I have a 6" KKM barrel, would like to have it cut down just about 1/8" longer than the stock barrel - if that can't be done reasonably just get a stock length KKM
  4. Probably run a 22# recoil spring on steel rod - although I have lighter and heavier if it needs tuning (running 200 gr XTP DoubleTap)
  5. What about triggers? I haven't been following the latest in the Glock trigger wars, anything you think this SA 1911 guy might like?

For accessories I'll need:
  1. A good IWB holster, I've been using a Sparks VM2 for years and like the loop fore and aft style, but am thinking about a leather/kydex hybrid IWB.
  2. Mag pouches
  3. Maybe a pistol mounted light, what's recommended?

Thanks for hanging in there, guys. I really value the opinion of this 10 Ring forum.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Short Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 23:08   #2
Any Cal.

Stock barrel, stock spring, sights of your choice. 25cent trigger job and your choice of GLOCK connecter. Do the grip reduction if you want, it makes a big difference in how the gun feels.
Any Cal. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 00:31   #3
Opie 1 Kenopie
Regular Guy

You don't need all that stuff for a great carry pistol. I changed out my plastic sights and started carrying the dang thing.

If you have grip issues, try getting a G20SF or some simple, limited stippling. I stipple my Glocks conservatively and when I grab em they just stick in the hand the right way. The G20 was designed mostly right out of the box. Don't be tempted to waste a lot of money on aftermarket junk that usually ends up affecting the reliability of a carry pistol.
Old 12-28-2012, 00:38   #4
MinervaDoe

Leave it stock.

MinervaDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:23   #5
Short Cut
CLM Number 88
PatrioticMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Any Cal. View Post
Stock barrel, stock spring, sights of your choice. 25cent trigger job and your choice of GLOCK connecter. Do the grip reduction if you want, it makes a big difference in how the gun feels.
Interesting, it's been over a half dozen years since I've done a .25 cent trigger job, glad the price hasn't gone up all this time I thought there might have been some new tech trigger fixes.

I want the barrel for the case support.

Old 12-28-2012, 08:30   #6
Short Cut
CLM Number 88
PatrioticMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie 1 Kenopie View Post
You don't need all that stuff for a great carry pistol. I changed out my plastic sights and started carrying the dang thing.

If you have grip issues, try getting a G20SF or some simple, limited stippling. I stipple my Glocks conservatively and when I grab em they just stick in the hand the right way. The G20 was designed mostly right out of the box. Don't be tempted to waste a lot of money on aftermarket junk that usually ends up affecting the reliability of a carry pistol.
Opie, I hear you, but me and this gun stuff has gone way past what I "need". Reliabiltity is utmost in importance, but I don't mind spending some coin on mods that work for me and I already have the G20 pretty much collecting dust in the back of the safe so why not use that instead of buying a G20SF, (although I sure have considered it).

Old 12-28-2012, 08:33   #7
Short Cut
CLM Number 88
PatrioticMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinervaDoe View Post
Leave it stock.
That's no fun. j/k I did run my G30s pretty much stock, just a SS guide rod and a metal take down lever, but that was it. They did have Glock night sights, which were Mepros.

Old 12-28-2012, 09:14   #8
dm1906
Retired SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Short Cut View Post
Interesting, it's been over a half dozen years since I've done a .25 cent trigger job, glad the price hasn't gone up all this time I thought there might have been some new tech trigger fixes.

I want the barrel for the case support.
Don't worry about case support for defense carry. If you have to use it, someone else will be picking up your brass. Also, you'll not possess the pistol for months, years, or ever again (and you won't be reimbursed unless it's "lost" in evidence). Keep it simple, and 100% functional. Fancy is great for the range, but the bad guy won't care about Glock smiles.

There's nothing wrong with aftermarket barrels for recreational shooting. Using aftermarket functional parts should be limited to non-critical situations.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:42   #9
Kegs
Ol 8 fingers ;)

First thing I recommend for a carry gun is one you can actually carry with shorts & a short sleeved shirt.

A G-20 is a reasonable duty pistol or "open carry" pistol, but I think it is a bit big for a realistic edc.

G29 is the way to go.

Since you already have a G30, just order a 10mm conversion barrel from KKM, storm lake, or lone wolf and that will solve your problem.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:24   #10
Short Cut
CLM Number 88
PatrioticMember

It won't be my only CCW. Maybe I shouldn't have, but I sold my 2 G30s a long time ago. Kept the 20 a 21 and pair of 34s. Even if I do everything to this pistol it will still be one of the least expensive guns I carry. So I'm not much swayed by the possibility of losing it to evidence.

What do you all think about this?

The 10 Ring

Old 12-28-2012, 11:58   #11
Opie 1 Kenopie
Regular Guy

That one is nice ShortCut, and I understand wanting to bling out a pistol. My only real advice is not to screw with the internal parts since it almost always affects a Glock's reliability. Trust me, I've wasted a ton of money trying to make a Glock better and it's a fool's task.

The KKM barrel is a good idea for range use to protect your brass, but I'm a HUGE believer in carrying a stock barrel for CCW. Both for reliability and LIABILITY.

If your grip is too large, I think you'd do we'll to send it to Lane at Coldbore. I've seen nothing but fantastic work from him over the years. As I've mentioned, the only other necessity is steel sights to replace the Legos that come on factory Glocks. Lights are subjective, just pick a decent brand and not a $40 Walmart knockoff if its for SD. Streamlight makes some affordable, durable lights, but again, I'd think twice about mounting it on a carry gun. I like the dedicated small light in my off hand. A mounted light makes for a HUGE package on a G20.
Old 12-28-2012, 13:56   #12
countrygun

Aw, who doesn't like to "Bling" a Glock a bit?

The 10 Ring
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 13:57   #13
atyszka

Shortcut, check out www.glockworx.com if you want something very custom. They have an excellent fulcrum trigger that I have in my Unlimited/Open G35, it's as close as you can get to a decent 1911 trigger in a Glock. They also do a lot of the custom slide cuts if you want something very unique. But like many of the others, my carry gun, a G27 is stock, sans a $.25 trigger job and sights.
atyszka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 14:13   #14
cowboywannabe
you savvy?

night sights, 20 pound recoil spring assy, mid weight loads verified at ~1300 fps.

get the short frame (SF) version if you have small hands.

Facts are no match against enthusiasm and ignorance...

Last edited by cowboywannabe; 12-28-2012 at 14:15..
cowboywannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 14:25   #15
Short Cut
CLM Number 88
PatrioticMember

Great link there. Thanks Art!

Old 12-28-2012, 14:29   #16
dvrdwn72

Frame and slide work is fine if you really need it. Otherwise for a carry, except for truglo tfo's I would keep the trigger stock. If you feel the need to do trigger work I found that a glock - connector and a 6 lb trigger spring work for me. I have heard the ny1 trigger with a - connector is good. Remember, a ccw firearm is just a tool, thats it. Save all that money right now and do 1 of 2 things. 1- is get set up to reload, 2- buy as much ammo as you can.
dvrdwn72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 18:28   #17
dbcooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegs View Post
First thing I recommend for a carry gun is one you can actually carry with shorts & a short sleeved shirt.

A G-20 is a reasonable duty pistol or "open carry" pistol, but I think it is a bit big for a realistic edc.

G29 is the way to go.

Since you already have a G30, just order a 10mm conversion barrel from KKM, storm lake, or lone wolf and that will solve your problem.
I do it, IWB in Florida, shorts and tshirt most of the year.

I've always carried full size, you just have to commit to it.

And it's good old factory stock
Old 12-28-2012, 19:44   #18
dvrdwn72

I comfortably carry a g20sf along with a g35 in the hot florida weather. Even in flip flops, tanktop,and shorts. I even can carry a second mag. Granted I love the glock 27 and iwb it 98% of the time. I am 6'1" 190 lbs.
dvrdwn72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 20:24   #19
Short Cut
CLM Number 88
PatrioticMember

Helps when your shoulders are wider than your waist, that and a baggy button up shirt and I could be carrying my DE .50 in an OWB.

When I started carrying I kind of went bass-ackwards. I'd read somewhere or something that most folks start of with a larger gun then tend to gravitate towards smaller pistols. Trying to outsmart the system I went with smaller guns first only to find you can't escape Murphy because I found that I shot larger guns so much better that I decided to just make the commitment to conceal a larger piece.

Old 12-29-2012, 07:12   #20
ModGlock17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm1906 View Post
Don't worry about case support for defense carry. If you have to use it, someone else will be picking up your brass. Also, you'll not possess the pistol for months, years, or ever again (and you won't be reimbursed unless it's "lost" in evidence). Keep it simple, and 100% functional. ...
This is very important to consider.

The purpose of "defense" carry is different from "for show" carry.

Case in point: why dress up a gun to the hilt when in a shooting event (hope that never happen), you WILL NOT have it for a very long time, if ever again.
ModGlock17 is offline   Reply With Quote