SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-21-2015, 14:43   #1
texas 48
Gold Membership

Trigger pull of gen 4 G20

I have a new gen 4 G20 and done a complete polish job put in a - connector and the pull is still a little gritty and heavy. After 300 of my own loads. Anyone having the same issues?
NRA Life Member
TSRA Member.

Last edited by texas 48; 02-21-2015 at 14:44..
texas 48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 15:15   #2
DAVIDF

Sorry to hear. That is surprising as the one I owned for a short while was extremely good. The other Gen4 20's and 21's I've handled have been equally good. The Gen3 20's and 21's slightly less so. Is the bump on the trigger bar rubbing the inside of the slide heavy? Some of the smaller frame Gen4's have had that issue.
DAVIDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 15:41   #3
texas 48
Gold Membership

I have a ultra fine grit metal polishing wheel and smoothed and slightly polished down the hump, polished the crap out of all mating surfaces, polished and rounded FPSB and the face of striker that mates with the cruciform.The stack is not bad but with a 3.5 connector a heavy trigger spring it is still over 4 lbs closer to 5 pounds but not smooth. Have 2 other Gen 4 G27 and G23. Removed the original trigger bars and put in the 0357 trigger bars and those are as smoothe and break crisp. Have a G29sf that has at least 3k thru it and it also is smooth and is about 4 pounds. Had a 20sf that was also well shot and trigger was great. Can't figure this one out. I may change Striker spring.
NRA Life Member
TSRA Member.

Last edited by texas 48; 02-21-2015 at 15:45..
Old 02-21-2015, 17:08   #4
DAVIDF

I have heard of a striker spring binding badly. However, that was in a G42. Worth trying.
Old 02-21-2015, 17:18   #5
texas 48
Gold Membership

That's the one thing I haven't tried. The spring looks pretty twisted up around the striker
Thanks DAVIDF
NRA Life Member
TSRA Member.

Last edited by texas 48; 02-21-2015 at 17:41..
Old 02-21-2015, 17:47   #6
texas 48
Gold Membership

Changed the striker spring but noticed that the striker assembly is tighter than my other glocks. it could be the channel liner or the shaft was milled a little tight. the trigger is acceptable and is reliable tough to tell if its more than marginally better, just have that feeling that there maybe just enough drag on the spring that is kind of catches when the striker is being pulled by the cruciform. It may take a few hundred more rounds or a lot of dry firing to wear it in.
NRA Life Member
TSRA Member.
Old 02-21-2015, 20:16   #7
WeeWilly

If you have not already done it, I have found following the Glock Armorer manual regarding lube points makes a big difference. For a long time I really didn't lube much at all, now, after a complete strip and clean, I lube all the points in the book.
Old 02-21-2015, 21:10   #8
texas 48
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeWilly View Post
If you have not already done it, I have found following the Glock Armorer manual regarding lube points makes a big difference. For a long time I really didn't lube much at all, now, after a complete strip and clean, I lube all the points in the book.

Thanks WeeWilly I have the manual but I changed the striker spring it was still a little sticky. I finally polished the entire striker. Now it has smoothed out and it is a consistent smooth pull to a crisp break. Apparently the combination of the two changes were the final mods required to get the trigger the way I like it. Smooth pull no grit and crips break can stage it with little drag. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.👍
NRA Life Member
TSRA Member.

Last edited by texas 48; 02-21-2015 at 21:12..
Old 02-21-2015, 22:52   #9
Taterhead
Counting Beans

Quote:
Funny that you mention that. I did not lube my G20 for the first umpteen number of rounds (except maybe an occasional 1/4 drop on the rail lugs). Then one day the trigger got heavier and heavier and HEAVIER until it would not break. 1 drop of oil, in that spot indicated in the manual, and it was all that was needed. I now oil my Glocks EXACTLY like they indicate in the manual.
Taterhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 23:06   #10
WeeWilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taterhead View Post
Funny that you mention that. I did not lube my G20 for the first umpteen number of rounds (except maybe an occasional 1/4 drop on the rail lugs). Then one day the trigger got heavier and heavier and HEAVIER until it would not break. 1 drop of oil, in that spot indicated in the manual, and it was all that was needed. I now oil my Glocks EXACTLY like they indicate in the manual.
Tater,

I think it was your experience (and the fact you posted it way back when), that caused me to think of it one day. I bought some of those needle bottles Brownell's sells to get the drops exactly where the manual says, what a difference.

I actually got called a moron on another forum for pointing out the virtues of lube in a Glock, there are a lot of guys out there that think if you clean and lube your Glock you are a sissy. Strange stuff.

Last edited by WeeWilly; 02-21-2015 at 23:09..
WeeWilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 16:22   #11
texas 48
Gold Membership

Well I spoke prematurely. While dry firing last night I noticed a catch on the 1st stage of the pull and a little click noise. I have had at least 15 Glocks over the last few years and this was not normal. Broke the G20 down and after looking over all the parts again I noticed the FPSB was going below the channel and the detent on the trigger bar was catching the channel on the initial part of the pull. I over polished the trigger bar and the FPSB to the point it caused this issue.

The cure was to replace the FPSB and put in a 4256-1 Trigger bar. Don't care for the new trigger bars on the Gen 4's Poorly stamped and then hump has dragged on all 3 of my Gen 4's. Have a spare parts bank thank God. Now its operating like my other 3 Glocks smooth and crisp. I was fiddling with this until 2:15 this morning, after spending an hour on my hands and knees searching for the spring and spring loaded bearing that popped off while I was removing the back plate to get the FPSB out on my garage floor. I have done more than a few 25 cent trigger jobs but never screwed one up.

The moral of the story is that you can screw up a trigger job if you take too much material off. Quite a learning experience. Hope this can help someone avoid the mistakes I made. Lesson learned. Thanks to all who made suggestions.
NRA Life Member
TSRA Member.

Last edited by texas 48; 02-22-2015 at 16:28..
Old 02-22-2015, 20:28   #12
Taterhead
Counting Beans

Quote:
Tater,

I think it was your experience (and the fact you posted it way back when), that caused me to think of it one day. I bought some of those needle bottles Brownell's sells to get the drops exactly where the manual says, what a difference.

I actually got called a moron on another forum for pointing out the virtues of lube in a Glock, there are a lot of guys out there that think if you clean and lube your Glock you are a sissy. Strange stuff.
There are some strange opinions out there. If you step back and think about it, it is kind of funny to try to follow the logic:

That man properly cleans and lubes his GUN, and that makes him a sissy.
Taterhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 10:04   #13
DAVIDF

texas 48, I'm glad you got it figured out and thanks for the update.

Taterhead and WeeWilly, how come 10mm fans on various forums seem to be the most cordial and helpful. That is my experience anyways. I assumed it wasn't a 10mm fan that called you a sissy WeeWilly. I hope not!
Old 02-23-2015, 13:17   #14
WeeWilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVIDF View Post
texas 48, I'm glad you got it figured out and thanks for the update.

Taterhead and WeeWilly, how come 10mm fans on various forums seem to be the most cordial and helpful. That is my experience anyways. I assumed it wasn't a 10mm fan that called you a sissy WeeWilly. I hope not!
It wasn't a 10mm shooter, just some random kid who had a Glock and couldn't figure out why his trigger got heavier and heavier the more he shot it. He was in that group that proudly state how they never have cleaned their Glock and it functions fine! Funny stuff really.

Last edited by WeeWilly; 02-23-2015 at 13:20..
WeeWilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 14:23   #15
DAVIDF

Quote:
It wasn't a 10mm shooter, just some random kid who had a Glock and couldn't figure out why his trigger got heavier and heavier the more he shot it. He was in that group that proudly state how they never have cleaned their Glock and it functions fine! Funny stuff really.
Good to hear it wasn't one of us Glocks will usually function when they are very dirty. But, when they are very dirty then it's even more important to have some oil. I've never seen a rental pistol that was clean nor unlubed no matter the make. Mostly very well oiled and therefore still worked reliably. I'd rather carry well cleaned and lubed. My wife thinks I clean the guns too much. Maybe she thinks I'll wear them out faster with all that abrasion

Last edited by DAVIDF; 02-23-2015 at 14:26..
Old 02-23-2015, 20:42   #16
WeeWilly

I think old habits die hard. I have gotten to where I will leave my guns in the bag for a day or two, before they are out and stripped for cleaning. I still have not learned to leave the bed unmade. I think that is what my wife likes about me most...