GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-21-2005, 17:01   #21
Ian

Well all I can say gentlemen, is that I am glad that I don't live in England anymore ^3
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 05:03   #22
SgtKabar
Semper Fidelis

Hey, Metallic,

Enemies Foreign and Domestic by Matt Bracken is a real good read about how stuff can spin out of control. It's fiction, but you'll find it a hard book to put down. Amazon has it or you can order directly from Matt Bracken at http://www.enemiesforeignanddomestic.com
Old 06-23-2005, 18:57   #23
RENEA
Black Rifle guy

Why in the world would one need to learn first aid for gunshot wounds in England? Aren't guns illegal there? I'd have thought it would be all Mary Poppins , candycanes and buttercups from there out...;Q
H&K Fan Club #64
Walther Fan Club #38
SKS Carbiner's Club #1949
Kalashnikov Klub #1977
RENEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 11:25   #24
theairdog

Send a message via AIM to theairdog
I hope that we never wind up the same way.
theairdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 07:51   #25
SgtKabar
Semper Fidelis

So now the Islamofacists have attacked the public transport system in London, killing some and maiming many. Missing one or more limbs or faculties such as eye sight for the rest of one's life is one of the results of these kinds of bombings. And for those who were at the blast sites but not injured, the psychological wounds will never heal.

But now that the Brits have been completely disarmed, a citizen couldn't have stopped the bombing even if he'd seen what was going on. And the way Britain's justice system has been handling cases of self defense the "vigilante" who might have tried to stop the perps barehanded would most likely have been tried for "offensive conduct." What a sorry state of affairs in what was once a proud country.
Old 07-08-2005, 18:51   #26
Jeff82
CLM Number 237
NRA Benefactor

Geez,

You'd think with over 100,000 cameras (just around London) and all the gun and violence control, Big Brother Nanny should've been able to safeguard the citizens of the realm! Of yeah, almost forgot, it's not interested in safeguarding, it's interested in controlling and suppressing...

:(

"A Republic, if you can keep it." B. Franklin, 1787, outside Independence Hall

There's not "good" or "bad" muslims, only those true to their book and those that aren't, yet...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Jeff82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 14:59   #27
TommyT

Quote:
Originally posted by Coolknight
The Brits are paranoid about guns. Nothing new, they don't know crap about them either.

Regards,
Coolknight
Hardly surprising considering most are illegal here.

My first post on here and I must say I am somewhat astonished with the ignorance some members of this forum view the laws of the UK. Many of you seem to try to compare the UK to what may or may not happen to gun laws in the US. In my honest opinion it's not really realistic to do this as the cultures are totally different.

Strict gun law in the UK finds it's roots in 1987, and a horrific incident in the quiet country town of Hungerford. SEE HERE

Following that incident all automatic weapons were banned, with no exceptions.

Then on 14th March 1996 THIS HAPPENED

Following that equally horrific incident all handguns were banned.

Now you as Americans certainly dont seem to agree with our laws, but equally, you dont seem to understand why they are there. We are a democracy and the new laws were universally popular and called for by the public.

I for one am not going to criticise your gun laws. You have the right to bear arms, and fair play to you, but please, oh please, don't criticise ours. They were introduced to protect the public, and for the most part are very effective. Contrary to what you might see on the news, gun crime here is very low.
How do I know this? Well, ok, time for me to tell you what I do. I am a police officer. It is true that most UK officers are unarmed, and nearly all WANT TO CONTINUE be unarmed. We are a civilian force and therefore police by consent of the citizens.

We do have firearms teams, and very effective they are too, but to be honest they are rarely needed (Although they are ALWAYS available)

Sure, bad things happen here, they do everywhere, but please bear in mind things are very different here. British people dont want guns everywhere. It's as simple as that.

I have spent a lot of time in the States (I have family in Texas) and I must say I love it out there, and I love the culture. I am comfortable around guns, indeed I use guns on a regular basis.
It may surprise some of you to know that hunting rifles and shotguns are legal here. I enjoy hunting, and do it on a regular basis.

The point of this post? I just wanted to maybe help some of you understand the reasons things here are like they are. I'm certainly not here to pass judgement on you or the use of firearms in your country.

Thanks for your time,

Tom.

P.S. Coolknight - A lot of us know quite a bit about guns actually

Last edited by TommyT; 05-28-2006 at 05:54..
TommyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 15:07   #28
TommyT

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff82
They do double-rifles exceedingly well. Not bad on shotguns too.
Took the words right outta my mouth! ;D
Old 09-07-2005, 15:14   #29
Ian

What????
You are not allowed to carry a pocket knife, you are not even allowed to carry pepper spray!!!
What nonsense.
My mother just came back from a stay in London, and was with her sister traveling on London Transport. She resisted having her purse snatched (like she did the year before on a London Bus) and the "gentleman" struck my Aunt around the face.
No one came to their assistance.
What a farce.
You have no right to protect yourself in the UK.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 15:26   #30
TommyT

Unfortunately you are showing your ignorance of English Law.

Everyone has the right to defend themselves. The legal definition is "with as much force as is reasonable in the circumstances". If that means a pre-emptive strike to prevent an attack on your person, then sobeit. As long as your actions can be justified, then you are allowed to use force.

You can carry a pocket knife, as long as it is not a lock knife or in excess of 3 inches.

It is true, you cannot carry pepper spray. Pepper spray is a class 5 firearm under English law. Police (including myself) carry CS or Pepper spray routinely.

I cannot comment on your aunts experience. I do not work in London. I work in a county police force, where all violent crime is dealt with the utmost importance.
In not saying the UK isn't violent. London, like any other large city in the world suffers with many violent incidents.

What has your aunt being mugged got to do with gun crime?

Did the attacker point a gun in her face (like what would be the norm in a major US city?) I doubt it.
Old 09-07-2005, 15:39   #31
hokieglock
Proud Infidel

TommyT, you are a prime example why i will never move to the UK. Oh, and pretty much the only people moving to your country are muslim terrorits. I'd still be speaking with a limey accent had my fore fathers been disarmed. Probably with a 60% tax rate also. You guys are our allies and friends but just don't get it about our 2nd amendment.

Burt Gummer is my hero!
hokieglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 15:42   #32
hokieglock
Proud Infidel

i wonder why all you europeans, besides the swiss, have no guns listed below your sig line? can you carry off duty?

Burt Gummer is my hero!
Old 09-07-2005, 15:47   #33
TommyT

Quote:
Originally posted by hokieglock
can you carry off duty?
No. I don't carry one ON duty either.

Don't get your 2nd ammendment? No, of course I don't. And you don't get our laws. That's my point. Our countries have differnt laws for their own reasons. Yours works for your country, ours works for mine.

I posted on here to maybe introduce some understanding as to why we have the laws we do, not to turn this thread into a slanging match.

Last edited by TommyT; 09-07-2005 at 16:05..
Old 09-07-2005, 15:50   #34
hokieglock
Proud Infidel

Quote:
Originally posted by TommyT

Did the attacker point a gun in her face (like what would be the norm in a major US city?) I doubt it.
no slanging?;z

Burt Gummer is my hero!
Old 09-07-2005, 15:50   #35
TommyT

Quote:
You guys are our allies and friends
Yes we are, and I for one am proud of that friendship. My younger brother is in Iraq with the army now, doing his bit. You mention the swiss, but are they your brothers in arms when the brown stuff hits the fan?
Old 09-07-2005, 15:52   #36
TommyT

Quote:
no slanging?;z
ok, fair point.

I was just trying to prove a point. Badly. ;Q
Old 09-07-2005, 15:53   #37
hokieglock
Proud Infidel

correct, the swiss will just make watches and chocolate while we(the u.s. and uk) take care of terrorists. but it's gotta be cool to have a fully auto sig558(model #?)under your bed.

Burt Gummer is my hero!
Old 09-07-2005, 15:55   #38
TommyT

Quote:
correct, the swiss will just make watches and chocolate while we(the u.s. and uk) take care of terrorists. but it's gotta be cool to have a fully auto sig558(model #?)under your bed.
Does kinda have an appeal I suppose. Knowing my luck though, I'd blow my ears off. ;i
Old 09-07-2005, 15:59   #39
TommyT

Quote:
Probably with a 60% tax rate also.
Not last time I looked at my paycheque!
We actually have one of the lowest income tax rates in Europe.

And it's great not having to pay for healthcare. ;f
Old 09-07-2005, 16:02   #40
hokieglock
Proud Infidel

i shall sleep much better tonight. especially with my G22 loaded with speer gold dots in my nightstand.;?

Burt Gummer is my hero!