Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-17-2006, 10:48   #221
TommyT

*Post deleted*

Last edited by TommyT; 05-17-2006 at 10:50..
TommyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 11:34   #222
1911copper
Aequitas

We call them "reserve officers" here.
Go with God, Nisha.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
1911copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 02:26   #223
oldcop1971

INTOLERANCE

AS A SEMI-RETIRED COP WITH 34+ YEARS EXPERIENCE, I'D LIKE TO APOLOGISE TO MY BRIT COUSINS FOR THE INTOLERANCE DISPLAYED BY SOME POSTERS ON THIS FORUM. AS HAS BEEN SAID, WE ARE TWO ENTIRELY DIFFERANT CULTURES 'SEPARATED' BY A COMMOM LANGUAGE. LOL.
WE SHOULD ALL BE MATURE ENOUGH TO AGREE TO DISAGREE, WITHOUT BEING DISAGREABLE. WHAT WORKS FOR YOU AND FOR US, IS OK. NEITHER IS RIGHT OR WRONG, JUST DIFFERENT. THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR SUPPORT IN THE WAR ON TERROR. AND IF YOU SHOULD MAKE IT OVER HERE, LOOK US UP AND WE'LL HOIST A PINT TO FALLEN COMRADES.
Old 05-20-2006, 03:52   #224
UK Pro Gun
Dimension one

Re: INTOLERANCE

Quote:
Originally posted by oldcop1971
AS A SEMI-RETIRED COP WITH 34+ YEARS EXPERIENCE, I'D LIKE TO APOLOGISE TO MY BRIT COUSINS FOR THE INTOLERANCE DISPLAYED BY SOME POSTERS ON THIS FORUM. AS HAS BEEN SAID, WE ARE TWO ENTIRELY DIFFERANT CULTURES 'SEPARATED' BY A COMMOM LANGUAGE. LOL.
WE SHOULD ALL BE MATURE ENOUGH TO AGREE TO DISAGREE, WITHOUT BEING DISAGREABLE. WHAT WORKS FOR YOU AND FOR US, IS OK. NEITHER IS RIGHT OR WRONG, JUST DIFFERENT. THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR SUPPORT IN THE WAR ON TERROR. AND IF YOU SHOULD MAKE IT OVER HERE, LOOK US UP AND WE'LL HOIST A PINT TO FALLEN COMRADES.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

____MBR #8
UK Pro Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 13:59   #225
TommyT

Re: INTOLERANCE

Quote:
Originally posted by oldcop1971
Thanks mate. I appreciate your kind words.
Old 05-23-2006, 15:09   #226
Hugh Neal

Nisha Patel Nasri's case has just been the lead story on BBC's "Crimewatch" (the leading anti crime show in the UK where the general public are urged to help catch the worst criminals at large in the country).

Link here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/crime/crimewatch/

Quite a few new leads seem to have come up as a direct result of the appeal by the show. Hopefully more news eventually leading to arrests and convictions will be forthcoming soon.

We don't have the death penalty in the UK. For cop and kid killers we have something far worse. It does not get handed out very often (maybe once or twice a year), but there is a sentence which is termed "to be detained at Her Majesty's pleasure". Polite legalese for "throw away the key". Get this and you are certain to spend your entire remaining life in jail. As a Special Police Constable the prosecution in any future murder case would almost certainly press for this sentence.
Hugh Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 15:26   #227
TommyT

Quote:
Originally posted by Hugh Neal
Nisha Patel Nasri's case has just been the lead story on BBC's "Crimewatch" (the leading anti crime show in the UK where the general public are urged to help catch the worst criminals at large in the country).

Link here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/crime/crimewatch/

Quite a few new leads seem to have come up as a direct result of the appeal by the show. Hopefully more news eventually leading to arrests and convictions will be forthcoming soon.

We don't have the death penalty in the UK. For cop and kid killers we have something far worse. It does not get handed out very often (maybe once or twice a year), but there is a sentence which is termed "to be detained at Her Majesty's pleasure". Polite legalese for "throw away the key". Get this and you are certain to spend your entire remaining life in jail. As a Special Police Constable the prosecution in any future murder case would almost certainly press for this sentence.
Not really true I'm afraid, I wish it was. "At Her Majesty's pleasure" is used more for young offenders. It's basically an open-ended tarriff imposed by a Judge but where the length is determined by the Home Secretary. It's quite common, especially when young offenders have been found guilty of serious offences.

Under English law, all murders carry a mandatory life sentence, but life rarely means life, unfortunately.

Last edited by TommyT; 05-23-2006 at 15:32..
Old 05-23-2006, 15:32   #228
Hugh Neal

Do you not think that under the circumstances the Courts would follow the sentence given to that American former Marine (whose name currently evades me) who shot and killed a UK serving Police officer about three years ago? He got a "detained at Her Majesty's" and he's never coming out.
Old 05-23-2006, 15:41   #229
TommyT

Quote:
Originally posted by Hugh Neal
Do you not think that under the circumstances the Courts would follow the sentence given to that American former Marine (whose name currently evades me) who shot and killed a UK serving Police officer about three years ago? He got a "detained at Her Majesty's" and he's never coming out.
David Bieber got 3 life sentences, and was recommended by the judge to recieve a "whole-life" tariff (only the 25th person in Britain to recieve this).
This is something different to "At Her Majesty's Pleasure", but I see where you're coming from.
Old 05-24-2006, 22:43   #230
HeavyRevolver

Hello everyone,

This has been an interesting thread and for the most part a good discussion with both sides having valid points.

I will say one thing and that is you UK guys have it made in terms of beautiful lands, I live in Florida and it's all swampy, but I love Florida anyway .. especially the excellent self defense laws we have set in place. However, Florida's self defense laws being immediatley released in the UK would not help the UK.

I hope we continue to be friends and I sure would like to visit some of those fantastic cities over there.
HeavyRevolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 11:19   #231
TommyT

Quote:
Originally posted by HeavyRevolver
Hello everyone,

This has been an interesting thread and for the most part a good discussion with both sides having valid points.

I will say one thing and that is you UK guys have it made in terms of beautiful lands, I live in Florida and it's all swampy, but I love Florida anyway .. especially the excellent self defense laws we have set in place. However, Florida's self defense laws being immediatley released in the UK would not help the UK.

I hope we continue to be friends and I sure would like to visit some of those fantastic cities over there.
Cheers buddy. Any of my American cousins would be more than welcome at my house.

I'm looking to visit sunny Florida later in the year for a holiday. Florida is VERY popular with us pale faced Brits looking for some sun!
Oddly enough we're entering the worst drought for 100 years here. Hosepipe bans are in force and many of the reserviors are running on empty!
Old 05-25-2006, 11:31   #232
Ian

Hey I am just North of Fort Lauderdale.
You could shoot when you are here if you would like.
There is USPSA (IPSC), IDPA, or Steel shoots here, pretty much every week.
If you would like to try wakeboarding (most Brits are crazy and like it ) there is a great Cable-Ski near, as well as one in Orlando.
Also in Orlando is a Sky Diving simulator.
Backgammon Tournament every week in Fort Lauderdale.
What are your hobbies?
You can see what mine are

Last edited by Ian; 05-25-2006 at 13:15..
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 12:27   #233
TommyT

Quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Hey I am just North of Fort Lauderdale.
You could shoot when you are here if you would like.
There is USPSA (IPSC), IDPA, or Steel shoots here, pretty much every week.
If you would like to try wakeboarding (most Brits are crazy and like it ) there is a great Cable-Ski near, as well as one in Orlando.
Also in Orlando is a Sky Diving simulator.
Backgammon Tournamnet every week in Fort Lauderdale.
What are your hobbies?
You can see what mine are
I enjoy shooting - mostly shotguns, but also air rifles (obviously not had a go at handguns, but would love to!)

Also into computing, keeping fit and travelling - been all over Europe, Texas, the Far East and Australia.

..... Oh, and catching Bad Guys!
Old 05-27-2006, 01:53   #234
HeavyRevolver

Quote:
Originally posted by TommyT
I enjoy shooting - mostly shotguns, but also air rifles (obviously not had a go at handguns, but would love to!)

Also into computing, keeping fit and travelling - been all over Europe, Texas, the Far East and Australia.

..... Oh, and catching Bad Guys!
Well Tommy if you are ever in Florida I would take you shooting since you expressed an interest in trying out a handgun, they even let you rent rangetime with sub-machine guns here and that's quite a rush! There were some guys from northern England in the range I practice at going at it with a WW2 Sten gun and taking pictures of themselves shooting and what not.

Florida also has thousands of gyms so you could get a good workout in your stay here. The best time to come would be in the fall/winter, the weather is just perfect about in the 60's and 70's fahrenheit.

I would also vouch with what you said about Britains firearm squad as being one of the best in the world, they are instructed by SAS soldiers often and those guys are very hardcore, walking lethal weapons, just like our Grey Fox soldiers.

Last edited by HeavyRevolver; 05-27-2006 at 01:57..
HeavyRevolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 12:12   #235
TommyT

Quote:
Originally posted by HeavyRevolver
Well Tommy if you are ever in Florida I would take you shooting since you expressed an interest in trying out a handgun, they even let you rent rangetime with sub-machine guns here and that's quite a rush! There were some guys from northern England in the range I practice at going at it with a WW2 Sten gun and taking pictures of themselves shooting and what not.

Florida also has thousands of gyms so you could get a good workout in your stay here. The best time to come would be in the fall/winter, the weather is just perfect about in the 60's and 70's fahrenheit.

I would also vouch with what you said about Britains firearm squad as being one of the best in the world, they are instructed by SAS soldiers often and those guys are very hardcore, walking lethal weapons, just like our Grey Fox soldiers.
I went to an East European country a couple of years back and got to have a go with an AK47. Good god that's one hellova bit of kit. No wonder it's so popular all around the world. It's cheap, simple, reliable and DEADLY!

As for our fireams teams, yes, they are very impressive.
Their level of training and experience is, quite simply, second to none.

I've just finished reading this book .....

Gun-Control Issues

It was a riveting read. I particularly liked the references to the Superintendant in charge of the SO19 training unit, who had the affectionate nickname of "Fifty Fu**s", due to the amount of verbal ammunition he threw at people!
I can highly recommend the book. It shows, in depth, what the life of a fireams officer is like. The highs, the lows, the comradeship - it's all in there.

SO19 is the Metropolitan Police (which polices London) elite firearms unit (equivalent to a US SWAT team.)

Just found THIS VIDEO , which demonstrates perfectly what the average British cop has to deal with week-in, week-out. Unfortunately, it's all too common in most towns and cities up and down the country at weekends.
Mind you, I do like the soundtrack to the video!

Last edited by TommyT; 05-27-2006 at 12:33..
Old 05-28-2006, 06:32   #236
Hugh Neal

What a depressing video. I did notice that several of the clips appeared to be of the same incident filmed from different surveillance camera angles. What also springs to my mind in each case, if the cameras were up, running and being actively monitored by security staff, where were the Police? I cannot see the point in the UK having the most heavily security monitored society in the world (for our American friends, London alone has more surveillance cameras than the whole of North America, including Canada combined). The UK also has the most sophisticated computerised car licence plate reading and tracking system in the world - a legacy of the IRA conflict, when much optical character recognition software was pioneered in the UK.

What is the point of having this if you don't give the Police enough resources to actually stop the violence as it is happening? It is all very well being able to use the video evidence in court, always supposing the scumbags are actually caught, which often seems not to be the case, or if they are, the incompetence of the Crown Prosecution Service or the weakness of the Judiciary usually means the offender gets let off pretty much scot free.

Many town centres are becoming "no-go" areas after dark - I can speak from personal experience. Even locally, Police and Community Support Officers are deployed as a deterrent to physical violence breaking out at the local bus station, when groups of Chavs and schoolkids (often one and the same) hang out, illegally drinking and quite openly both taking and selling drugs (seen this first hand on a number of occasions). If you try and do anything, you risk getting stabbed or shot - and some are only 13 or 14 years old. I wish I was exaggerating for effect, but I am not. TommyT, I am referring to Bexleyheath Broadway - I am sure you are familiar. It has got so bad in Bexleyheath that buses do not stop in the area after 10pm due to the level of physical violence and verbal abuse. It is not some deprived run down inner city area; it is a relatively wealthy middle class outer South East London suburb.

On a slightly different angle, a work colleagues' husband is a member of SO19; he joined last year about two month's before the July 7th bombings. From what she tells me they are extremely stretched right now. Anyway, I think I should get off my soap box for a bit...
Old 05-28-2006, 07:26   #237
Laserlips
"Laus Deo"

Solution to British gun crime:

Arm all leo's with:

Gun-Control Issues

Well, maybe not..

Best Wishes,

J.P.

(PX/PX15/Laserlips: all samo/samo)
Laserlips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 08:01   #238
UK Pro Gun
Dimension one

Solution to British gun crime:

Arm all lac's (Law abiding citizens, i.e. ME!) with:

Gun-Control Issues

Well maybe YES, actually BIG bloody yes!

Have a nice day,

____MBR #8

Last edited by UK Pro Gun; 06-02-2006 at 11:05..
UK Pro Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 09:49   #239
Hugh Neal

I know this is off topic, but what the hell...

Fully auto Glock with a drum magazine modification (*drool*.... I want one....)

A little bit more zing than my Glock 17 before the ban.

http://www.strategypage.com/gallery/..._with_drum.wmv
Old 06-06-2006, 22:41   #240
Hugh Neal

Oh dear - for some reason it does not like linking. Sorry.