SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-02-2006, 13:18   #201
TommyT

Quote:
Originally posted by 1911copper
First, you have to host your pic on a hosting site, like imageshack, for instance. Then, click on the "IMG" button when you're posting, and paste your link into the window that pops up.
Or do as I do and find one on Google!
Old 04-03-2006, 15:01   #202
Hugh Neal

I just dug out my old Glock user guide that came with my 17 in its' Tupperware box - I kept it as there was no redemption value when I had to hand all my shooting kit in for compensation after the UK handgun ban. Bit of nostalgia really. Do they still come with all the low rent accessories? I felt a bit cheated when I bought it from the (now non - existent) gun dealer in Hockley, Essex. I thought it would come all shiny (okay, well matt and black) in a nice box - instead it turned up like a Sainsbury's ready meal!

Once I started shooting with it, well, that is another story, and I fell in love with it. Like a piece of white goods, it just WORKED.

I just think that they should come presented n a bit more of a glamorous fashion - rather than in the very ordinary plastic box - apologies if this has now changed and I am out of date.
Hugh Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 15:17   #203
Jerry

The beauty of Glock is the fact that their stuff is functional. No glitz no glamour just easy to care for and it works.
BIG DAWG #4

Liberal: Someone who is so open-minded their brains have fallen out.
Guns are not dangerous, people are.
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 15:27   #204
Hugh Neal

Ta for that - I know what you mean. A bit like an AK in that it is the reliability and functionality that counts. I suppose I had been seduced by the adverts in the UK shooting publications in '93 when I bought the pistol (I expected all the whizz bang stuff, being a newbie and all that).

I explained in minute detail how to field strip a Glock to the son of UK Pro Gun on Friday night - and after ten years I could still almost "feel" doing it - just goes to show that you don't forget that which means the most to you.
Old 04-03-2006, 15:41   #205
Ian

When did we become an unarmed people?
I am sure we went from carrying swords to dueling pistols.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 15:52   #206
Hugh Neal

I am only discussing the UK, where compulsory handgun disarmament happened in 1996 / 1997. That is where I am based, and where my experience lies.
Old 04-03-2006, 15:58   #207
Ian

I know, I was there.
I am interested in how we first lost our right to carry firearms.
Was it taken away from us, or did carrying weapons become unfashionable?
I feel the press holds a lot of responsibility for misleading the English public, nowdays anyway.
Old 04-06-2006, 23:16   #208
Hugh Neal

Hi again all,

The right to own hand guns was taken away by Parliament in 1996 as part of the incoming Labour government's manifesto. It had widespread public support.

A story that has just appeared in the press:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2006160137,00.html
Old 04-07-2006, 08:56   #209
Ian

Not to own to carry
Old 04-07-2006, 09:38   #210
Hugh Neal

IANAH (I am not a historian) but I think it was in the early 1950's - not long after the war; I know that in Victorian Britain it was quite legal for a Gentleman to carry a revolver for self defence. Does anyone else have more thorough knowlege on the subject - Maybe I should do a bit of a Google search...
Old 04-17-2006, 09:00   #211
UK Pro Gun
Dimension one

Ian
Quote:
I am interested in how we first lost our right to carry firearms.
Was it taken away from us, or did carrying weapons become unfashionable?
I think it goes back to the fifties when the home office "advised" all Police forces that when someone applied for a firearm permit they needed to state a reason why they wanted one.

The "advice" stated that "for self defense" was NOT an acceptable reason. Therefore people learnt to say "for sport" and in just a few years the idea that self defense was reasonable started to go out of the British mind.

Watch out that the tree hugging bleeding heart libs/commies in the US don't try the same trick on you guys

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

____MBR #8
UK Pro Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 09:03   #212
Ian

Thank you.
I am sure that it will happen though.
I have lived and seen it in England, and lived and seen it in Israel too!
Old 04-17-2006, 09:36   #213
Hugh Neal

National ID cards

Hi again chaps,

One thing occurs to me; recently in the professional computer press (I am in IT Management, for my sins) an article was published in relation to the failure of the Police and Home Office to set up and run a national firearms database. This database was meant to be set up as a result of the enquiry into the Dunblane massacre in 1996. It was supposed to track the estimated 70,000 still - legal shotguns, bolt action rifles and black powder weapons still in private ownership. In TEN YEARS they have failed to get the system working.

This pales into insignificance when compared the the UK's Labour Government plan to introduce both compulsory biometric ID cards to all UK residents, and a mammoth ID database containing DNA records, photos, details of bank accounts and credit ratings - even sexual orientation will be recorded! (And before some of the UK posters to this thread come back with "you are exaggerating, that's not what was said on TV / in the papers" - My employers are the principal business advisors to the UK Government regarding the whole scheme, and I have seen DETAILED scoping documents not yet available to the press / general public).

Very frightening, the only comfort is those involved, however unwittingly malevolent are pretty incompetent. In Britain, people generally only work for the Civil Service if they are young and looking for experience, or they lack the competence to get a job in the "real world" where the pay is far higher and the conditions better (CPS anyone?)

More details can be found here: http://www.no2id.net/
Old 04-18-2006, 13:19   #214
TommyT

Re: National ID cards

Quote:
Originally posted by Hugh Neal
Hi again chaps,

One thing occurs to me; recently in the professional computer press (I am in IT Management, for my sins) an article was published in relation to the failure of the Police and Home Office to set up and run a national firearms database. This database was meant to be set up as a result of the enquiry into the Dunblane massacre in 1996. It was supposed to track the estimated 70,000 still - legal shotguns, bolt action rifles and black powder weapons still in private ownership. In TEN YEARS they have failed to get the system working.

This pales into insignificance when compared the the UK's Labour Government plan to introduce both compulsory biometric ID cards to all UK residents, and a mammoth ID database containing DNA records, photos, details of bank accounts and credit ratings - even sexual orientation will be recorded! (And before some of the UK posters to this thread come back with "you are exaggerating, that's not what was said on TV / in the papers" - My employers are the principal business advisors to the UK Government regarding the whole scheme, and I have seen DETAILED scoping documents not yet available to the press / general public).

Very frightening, the only comfort is those involved, however unwittingly malevolent are pretty incompetent. In Britain, people generally only work for the Civil Service if they are young and looking for experience, or they lack the competence to get a job in the "real world" where the pay is far higher and the conditions better (CPS anyone?)

More details can be found here: http://www.no2id.net/
I agree with you mate. Like all Labour govt plans - a complete shower of s**t. Waste of time and money (ours!!!)
Old 05-16-2006, 10:41   #215
Hugh Neal

This thread seems to have gone a bit quiet of late. Here's a link to a news story that has just broken over here in London. No wonder the Home Office want to see a rise in armed officers from roughly 5% of the force now, to around 8% in the near future.

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0...221849,00.html

And a female Special Constable (part time unpaid volunteer) was stabbed to death outside her own front door over the weekend. It just gets worse!
Old 05-16-2006, 11:26   #216
Ian

Would she be dead had she been armed?
She would have had a better chance for sure
Old 05-16-2006, 11:37   #217
Hugh Neal

Hi Ian,

The Police are still investigating the murder; it would initially appear that she may have been stabbed with her own kitchen knife, though this has yet to be conclusively proved - details on the BBC News website here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4986408.stm

It is ironic and sad that she may have carried the carving knife from her own kitchen for protection when she heard noises from intruders outside.

(For information - John Lewis are an up - market high street department store not too dis - similar to Marks & Spencer).
Old 05-16-2006, 11:40   #218
Ian

Thanks for the posting.
Shame, what a waste of a life.
She was good looking too.
Old 05-16-2006, 11:53   #219
Hugh Neal

I also feel sympathy for her poor husband - they had just celebrated their third wedding anniversary.

http://cms.met.police.uk/news/policy...ha_patel_nasri
Old 05-17-2006, 10:42   #220
TommyT

Quote:
Originally posted by Hugh Neal
A female Special Constable (part time unpaid volunteer) was stabbed to death outside her own front door over the weekend. It just gets worse!
Truly horrible.

For those that don't know, as mentioned above 'Specials' are unpaid volunteer police officers. They have exactly the same powers, uniform and equipment as full time officers.
They do an incredible job working with and backing up their regular colleagues and are a great resource.
Remarkable people who the job for no more than the sense of satisfaction they get from giving their free time back to the community they serve.

SC Patel-Nasri will be sorely missed by her colleagues.

Rest In Peace Nisha.

Last edited by TommyT; 05-18-2006 at 10:45..
TommyT is offline   Reply With Quote