Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-29-2006, 17:25   #181
1911copper
Aequitas

Quote:
Originally posted by TommyT
I'd love to do that! Maybe if I return to the States sometime...
Well, there'd always be at least one empty seat available to you here in Oklahoma.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
1911copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 17:32   #182
TommyT

Quote:
Originally posted by 1911copper
Well, there'd always be at least one empty seat available to you here in Oklahoma.
Good man! If I pop over to see family in Abilene in the future I may look you up!

I mean't to mention - If someone here has been nicked for any violent offence they will always be cuffed. If they are non compliant, they will be "rear stack" cuffed. All UK forces except one, use rigid "Kwik-Cuffs". Very, very good tools.

Gun-Control Issues
Old 03-29-2006, 17:37   #183
1911copper
Aequitas

Quote:
Originally posted by TommyT
Good man! If I pop over to see family in Abilene in the future I may look you up!

I mean't to mention - If someone here has been nicked for any violent offence they will always be cuffed. If they are non compliant, they will be "rear stack" cuffed. All UK forces except one, use rigid "Kwik-Cuffs". Very, very good tools.

Gun-Control Issues

I carry a pair of S&W hinged cuffs, but the issued cuffs are the standard chain-link type.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 03-29-2006, 17:39   #184
NeroGatto
Extraordinaire'

Quote:
Originally posted by spetsnaz777
Gun Crime can't exist in England. After all they banned them;Q

Hmmm... That's what I was thinking.

S&W 9mm
Glock 23 .40 cal
w/ tritium sights
Mossberg 500
NeroGatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 17:41   #185
TommyT

My back-up ones are the hinged type. Easier to carry.

UK forces used to use the chain-link type, but changed to the rigid type in the early 90's. It was deemed that they are better for primary control and application.
It takes a lot of training to use them correctly, but well worth it in my opinion.
Old 03-30-2006, 09:44   #186
Tempest UK

The British/English thing:

As TommyT has said, it is generally only the English population that uses both "British" and "English" interchangeably. Welsh are Welsh, and Scots are Scots.

Again, as TommyT has said, England, Scotland and Wales used to be independent, then were united as part of the UK. But to make it more confusing, as a result of devolution Scotland has been given its own parliament, and Wales its own Assembly, so to an extent they are moving towards independence again (though nothing like as much as it was before).

Regards,
Tempest
Tempest UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 09:55   #187
Hugh Neal

Hi 1911Copper and TommyT - I have been lurking for a while without posting; 1911 - when (mainly) Americans call us Brits "English" it is a bit of a misnomer, as a person of British extraction could be English, Welsh, Northern Irish or Scottish (all parts of the United Kingdom). Many Scots get quite offended at being branded "English" (a historical thing - us English were rather nasty to them in the past - as we were to the Welsh and Irish, though now I think it might be more of an insecurity thing).

It is part of the subtle differences in language and terminology - Cider in the U.S is a soothing soft drink made with apples; in the UK it can vary from a mildly alcoholic beverage to an evil brew equally at home powering winoes to removing driveway grease stains and fuelling rocket vehicles.
Hugh Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 13:33   #188
TommyT

Quote:
Originally posted by Hugh Neal
an evil brew equally at home powering winoes to removing driveway grease stains and fuelling rocket vehicles.
Diamond White anyone?

Oh to be 15 again!
Old 03-30-2006, 13:59   #189
Hugh Neal

Diamond White - Yuck!

Round my neck of the woods it is commonly referred to as "Trampagne"!

For the Americans - Diamond White is a VERY strong sparkling Apple Cider (I think around 8 percent alcohol) that is the main fuel of bums and dropouts, as it is relatively cheap and nasty. It normally comes in two litre (about a quart, more or less) bottles that retail for the equivalent of roughly five dollars. Avoid if you value your liver, sanity and brain cells! BTW it dissolves varnish and shoe polish....
Old 03-30-2006, 14:04   #190
TommyT

Quote:
Diamond White - Yuck!

Round my neck of the woods it is commonly referred to as "Trampagne"!

For the Americans - Diamond White is a VERY strong sparkling Apple Cider (I think around 8 percent alcohol) that is the main fuel of bums and dropouts, as it is relatively cheap and nasty. It normally comes in two litre (about a quart, more or less) bottles that retail for the equivalent of roughly five dollars. Avoid if you value your liver, sanity and brain cells! BTW it dissolves varnish and shoe polish....
Oh the hangovers I had in my mid teens, after spending a saturday evening hidden in the woods drinking that evil stuff with my mates! Ugh, my liver aches at the thought of it....
Kids eh?!

Gun-Control Issues

Last edited by TommyT; 03-30-2006 at 14:07..
TommyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 07:48   #191
Hugh Neal

They are breeding. Our American colleagues don't know how lucky they are not to to have to suffer Chavs fuelled by Diamond White / White Lightning, trying to take on the world (basically any innocent bystander they care to pick on). More Polioce brutality against these pond life is what I would like to see.
Old 04-02-2006, 11:16   #192
1911copper
Aequitas

Quote:
They are breeding. Our American colleagues don't know how lucky they are not to to have to suffer Chavs fuelled by Diamond White / White Lightning, trying to take on the world (basically any innocent bystander they care to pick on). More Polioce brutality against these pond life is what I would like to see.
Trust me, Hugh, we have no shortage of alcoholics and "amateurs" alike, fueled by "guts in a glass" doing the incredibly stupid. We had a pursuit yesterday afternoon with a drunk who had his six-year-old grand daughter in the back seat with him.

Old 04-02-2006, 11:28   #193
Hugh Neal

Hi 1911 - it just goes to show that irresponsibility and a disregard for others knows no national boundaries. Apologies for the typoes in my prevous posting; it comes from a) not proof reading my submission properly and b) swapping between my Sun Ultra 60 Unix workstation, my Linux laptop and my iMac and forgetting the key layouts are different on each! I love Macs, but IMHO they have terrible keyboards (keys too close together - they look great, but are a bugger to type on if you have big hands like me). Sun make the best keyboards, but they cost a fortune.

I am surprised we have not heard from UK Pro Gun on the board recently, he was round at my house on Friday night for a chat and to collect some computer bits and pieces I had acquired for him.

It is nearly ten years since I had to surrender my Glock 17 after the UK handgun ban; to this day I can still recall the serial number - AVB 820. Sad.
Old 04-02-2006, 11:32   #194
1911copper
Aequitas

Very sad, indeed.

I am into "SASS" (Single Action Shooting Society)which is cowboy action shooting, and the SASS website indicates that SASS has some 50,000 UK members. Are certain types of firearms still allowed?

Old 04-02-2006, 11:53   #195
Hugh Neal

Wow - that was a quick reply!

Basically ALL hand guns are completely banned, with (I believe) the exception of a small number of muzzle loading black powder weapons used by historical re-creators - no more than a tiny handful of people. The ban was very wide ranging. Rifles are very restricted (I am a bit hazy on the details, never having been a long arm shooter). Shotguns require a licence and police visits / background checks, plus a "reasonable" reason to want one (such as being a farmer). Air weapons are shortly to go from being effectively unlicenced to having the same restrictions as shot guns.

Gun ownership / use in the UK has always been far different to the US - we have never had a legal right to bear arms as a civilian and the desire to own / use a gun s regarded by the general public as an indicator that you are a psycopath / "nutter" - before the hand gun ban, if I happened to mention I was a sport shooter, about 90% of people would then challenge me to justify it "guns kill people - why would you want to be a killer?"

Before the gun ban, from a population of around 60 million, there were only around 70,000 licenced firearm owners, so we have always been a small minority. Don't forget that a majority of the Police do not carry firearms, and in recent polls many serving officers have indicated they would resign rather than be armed (I think this is partly because the UK law is strongly biased towards the wrong doer - the chances are if a cop shot a bad guy in the course of their duty, they would quite likely get life for murder).
Old 04-02-2006, 12:02   #196
1911copper
Aequitas

Yikes!

The UK SASS members must be using black powder guns.

Old 04-02-2006, 12:15   #197
Hugh Neal

No doubt somebody else on the thread can answer this - I am guessing probably so.

O/T - how do you get a graphic to appear online, rather than as a link? The kind of thing I probably should know I suppose!

BTW, if any of you guys are into amateur radio, my callsign is M1CXN - Advanced class UK licence (yeah, and before you say, I DID flunk my Morse, but you don't need it for HF any more).

Anyway, I am off for Sunday evening dinner now. Catch you later.
Old 04-02-2006, 12:54   #198
TommyT

Quote:
Don't forget that a majority of the Police do not carry firearms, and in recent polls many serving officers have indicated they would resign rather than be armed (I think this is partly because the UK law is strongly biased towards the wrong doer - the chances are if a cop shot a bad guy in the course of their duty, they would quite likely get life for murder).
I think thats very true. I believe many would hand their warrant cards back.

As for the police use of firearms, yes, when they are used, the guy who pulls the trigger really goes through the mill. He has his firearm authority removed immediately, the inquiry will go on for ages, and he may well end up in court.
It all comes down to justification. The officer needs to be able to prove, without any doubt whatsoever that he believed his action was necessary.

Last edited by TommyT; 04-02-2006 at 13:00..
TommyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 13:03   #199
TommyT

Quote:
O/T - how do you get a graphic to appear online, rather than as a link? The kind of thing I probably should know I suppose!
[/B]
There is a tab along the top that says "IMG" (insert image)
Hit that and write in the link. The image will then appear in your post.
Old 04-02-2006, 13:16   #200
1911copper
Aequitas

Quote:

First, you have to host your pic on a hosting site, like imageshack, for instance. Then, click on the "IMG" button when you're posting, and paste your link into the window that pops up.