SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-23-2014, 20:58   #1
Green_Manelishi
Knicker Knotter

Inexpensive printer

I am looking for an inexpensive printer. Printer ONLY, not an all-in-1-Fax-copy-scan-print. Color. Prefer one that uses reasonably priced ink. Does not need to be wireless. Any suggestions?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Green_Manelishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 21:25   #2
Dave514

I have a couple of these for basic office printing and have been very happy.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/27420730?w...997432&veh=sem
Old 11-23-2014, 23:39   #3
DWARREN123
Grumpy Old Guy

I have a Cannon PIXMA Fine. Good printer but just about all printer ink costs more than low end printers.
Old 11-24-2014, 18:12   #4
Green_Manelishi
Knicker Knotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave514 View Post
I have a couple of these for basic office printing and have been very happy.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/27420730?w...997432&veh=sem
Looks like it will do nicely.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 11-27-2014, 19:13   #5
racer11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWARREN123 View Post
I have a Cannon PIXMA Fine. Good printer but just about all printer ink costs more than low end printers.
When you run out of ink,,,just buy a new printer and throw the other one away.
Old 11-27-2014, 19:58   #6
railfancwb

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer11 View Post
When you run out of ink,,,just buy a new printer and throw the other one away.
Problem is that many new printers come with "trial size" ink.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 11-27-2014, 21:29   #7
cgwahl
Sheriffs a near

It might be more than you're wanting to spend, although now might be a good time to get it what with prices being lower for Thanksgiving/Christmas...but I recommend going with a laser printer. HP used to be recommended for laser, but times may have changed.

Inkjets, particularly the cheaper models are ink hogs and you'll go through ink like crazy, whereas, laser printers can be more economical in regards to the toner cartridges. Granted I don't print as much as I used to, but I'm still using the toner cartridge I stuck in over a year ago on I printer I bought 10 to 15 years ago.

I'd say the only reason to consider the inkjet is if you plan on doing a lot of photos, and more than 5 years ago a lot of people were recommending color lasers for that too. I imagine it's more so now. If you do go the inkjet route though, Canons are good. As are HPs. I recall reading that Kodak's give you the best bank for buck in regards to ink. All should allow generic cartridges, although Canons do a check for that now and will sometimes not work with one (the ink/toner is where printer companies make their money). I don't know if HP or Kodak does the ink cartridge check yet.

However, if it's a printer you don't plan to use very much and you don't want to spend more than $100...then any old inkjet should do.

cgwahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 08:40   #8
LEO/Dad
Navy Veteran

Canon

Always had HP, but bought Canon this time, and couldn't be happier. Paid about $30.00. Copier, Printer, and Scanner. They also have good CS, Canon people and not offshore.
LEO/Dad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 15:31   #9
John Rambo
Raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Manelishi View Post
I am looking for an inexpensive printer. Printer ONLY, not an all-in-1-Fax-copy-scan-print. Color. Prefer one that uses reasonably priced ink. Does not need to be wireless. Any suggestions?
Nobody has asked the question that makes all the difference yet.

How much are you printing?
John Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 17:38   #10
sputnik767

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rambo View Post

I think that the right answer is a laser printer, no matter what. None of the nonsense with ink drying up, having to clean the cartridges, streaky printouts, slow printouts, etc. A decent color laser can be had for around $100-150 now, which is far better than those $30 POS ones where cartridges run double the cost of the printer and don't last long. The color cartridges on my Samsung laser are now around 4 years old, and the black toner was replaced once (I don't print much). But it prints perfectly every time without the nonsense of inkjet printers. IMO, the only reason to get an inkjet is if you are printing photos, but of course the photo inkjets are expensive.

Last edited by sputnik767; 11-29-2014 at 17:40..
sputnik767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 22:50   #11
Green_Manelishi
Knicker Knotter

Quote:

Pages per month? Well under 100.

Old 11-29-2014, 22:52   #12
Green_Manelishi
Knicker Knotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgwahl View Post
... I don't know if HP or Kodak does the ink cartridge check yet...
My HP informs me that I installed a genuine, expen$ive, HP cartridge.

Last edited by Green_Manelishi; 11-29-2014 at 22:53..
Old 12-03-2014, 09:35   #13
John Rambo
Raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Manelishi View Post
Pages per month? Well under 100.
So, full color, under 100 pages per month. The inkjet route is the way to go, in my opinion.
Old 12-03-2014, 10:12   #14
sputnik767

Quote:
So, full color, under 100 pages per month. The inkjet route is the way to go, in my opinion.
I would especially disagree with this point. I have never owned an inkjet printer that didn't have problems with ink drying, especially if it was not used much. And then after multiple cycles of cleaning and still getting unacceptable printouts, I would either have to get a new cartridge or more likely trash the entire thing. And those cartridges are at least $30 each and may be more now. I print way less than 100 pages per month. Heck, I am lucky if I print 5 pages per month. That's why my 4 year old laser still has the original color toner cartridges, and I replaced the black once about 2 years ago (I used to print much more when I was in school). No issues with printouts whatsoever, and no wasted money on ink.
sputnik767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 11:20   #15
John Rambo
Raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnik767 View Post
I would especially disagree with this point. I have never owned an inkjet printer that didn't have problems with ink drying, especially if it was not used much. And then after multiple cycles of cleaning and still getting unacceptable printouts, I would either have to get a new cartridge or more likely trash the entire thing. And those cartridges are at least $30 each and may be more now. I print way less than 100 pages per month. Heck, I am lucky if I print 5 pages per month. That's why my 4 year old laser still has the original color toner cartridges, and I replaced the black once about 2 years ago (I used to print much more when I was in school). No issues with printouts whatsoever, and no wasted money on ink.
Toner is expensive. Decent color Laserjet printers are more expensive and have more parts that break.

Inkjets are cheap. Inkjet cartridges are not at least $30. Inkjet cartridges are cheap. Inkjets have fewer expensive parts to break.

If he was printing only monochrome it woudl be LaserJet. If he was printing a lot of documents it would be LaserJet. Printing a smaller, but still steady, amount of full color documents will come out more economical, in the end, to use an inkjet.
Old 12-04-2014, 09:57   #16
sbhaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnik767 View Post
Everyone has their own opinions. I use an older HP printer with two cartridges (black/multi color). Costs $8 to refill the cartridge at Costco, sometimes $6 when they run a refill special. I rarely print. Figure 4 to 6 pages a month. No problems with the ink drying up. Still using the black cartridge that was refilled by Costco almost a year ago.

The key is buying the right printer for the right job. Buying a photo ink jet printer with six or more cartridges is down right stupid if one is printing a few pages a month in black. All printer companies make money via the ink not the printer these days. While you will get more pages per cartridge from a laser there is a larger upfront cost and higher toner cartridge price with lasers. If printing a modest or more amount then laser, despite its higher costs, is the way to go.

Injets have their place as do laser's. Key is buying the one that is the best fit for one's use.

Last edited by sbhaven; 12-04-2014 at 10:01..
sbhaven is offline   Reply With Quote