GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-03-2008, 23:23   #151
SCmasterblaster

My sincerest congrats go out to you for being ready for those animals.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:10   #152
txgunguy

Awesome. Always trust your instinct and that little voice. You know when someone's intentions aren't good.
Old 10-07-2008, 14:47   #153
wjv

What scares me is that 70% of the time, my wife has one or both of our young daughters in the car with her. Someone carjacks her, how does she get our daughters out! Lately she's been driving the 2500 series Suburban a lot more. 6,000 lbs of rolling steel! Not as prime of a target for the car jackers.

I have to agree with a previous poster that it almost sounds like he/they were more interested in YOU, than the car. That's a scarier thought!! Glad you were armed and reacted appropriately!

I have had two occasions where I had to "display" a firearm to prevent becoming a victim. At the time it all happens very fast. In both cases I did a lot of things right, and a couple of things wrong. But I learned from my mistakes. People who whine that you didn't do everything perfectly probably haven't been in a similar situation. You do what you think is right, and if you get to go home unharmed, all is good!

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false-face for the urge to rule it.
- H. L. Mencken -
wjv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 14:49   #154
adroc

Great alertness and instinct. You did what you are suppose to do. Cheers.
adroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 10:41   #155
Misty02

I just found this post. Thank you so much for sharing what happened to you! I believe you did beautifully and I sure hope that if faced with the same situation I do as well. From what I have read in your story and what Iíve heard happened in other car-jacking I think you saved yourself from more than just a car-jacking.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
I live in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Miami</st1:place></st1:City>, have never been a victim of a car-jacking myself but there was a lady in the office that was. She was driving with the driverís window down since she was smoking at the time. A man walked up to her door, she didnít notice him until he was standing right by her side, he punched her on the face, unlocked and opened the car door and pulled her out. She received several additional blows while struggling with the guy to keep him from opening her door. He finally got her out of the car and drove off. Luckily he was after the car and not her. Believe it or not, this all happened during the day, there is no such thing as low traffic hours in <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Miami</st1:place></st1:City>. There were plenty of witnesses all around but no one came out to help her and no one stayed around to give any details to the police when they arrived either.<o:p></o:p>
We have even heard of cases where someone in front backs up so that it appears you hit them from behind. In spite everyone being able to tell it is a set up many people, instinctively, get out of their vehicle to see what damage was done. Everyone knows the vehicle in the back will be charged with the accident and criminals bank on our fears to get us out of the car. When the word on those got out and people stopped getting out of their cars in those situations, they employed the aid of a second vehicle behind the victim to sandwich them in between the two cars so they couldnít maneuver out to safety.<o:p></o:p>
We all learn from the experiences of others. From what happened to the lady in our office I learned to not drive with the window down. I am aware that the criminal only has to break the window to place me at the same disadvantage, but it will take one additional step on his part. From what happened to you I learned how to handle the situation while armed. All these stories have a way of staying in our subconscious and prepare us for what can happen. <o:p></o:p>
These things have a tendency to happen extremely fast and I commend anyone that can keep a clear head through it all to do as well as you did. <o:p></o:p>
I have one question thoughÖ. Iím glad you didnít have to because that would have been another ordeal on itself, but how close did you feel to actually pulling the trigger? I can only wonder (and hope I never have to find out) how long I can stand a threat on my life before I do. <o:p></o:p>
To any LEO reading this thread Ė what kind of trouble would one face if the gun is made visible to that other person after telling them more than once to back off from the car? Lets assume, for the sake of argument, that we are not able to drive off at the moment because we are either sandwiched in between two cars or our vehicle isnít operational. Yes, I do know that if it is ever shown I am to be the one to let 911 know that I feared for my life and took my gun out. Just wondering what the consequences thereafter would be. Obviously, this is assuming the other person runs out after seeing the gun and I donít have to use it. <o:p></o:p>

"In making tactical dispositions, the highest pitch you can attain is to conceal them." - Sun Tzu

Outpost Member #69
Misty02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 13:32   #156
MrsKitty

Hi Misty. I've not seen you posting before.

I made the decision to shoot when I got the gun. Thank God I didn't have to but if he had even tried to get thru my window, or a second person come up, I would have started shooting. That glass was the line I had just drawn in the sand...

It all seemed like slow motion.

I was amazed when I checked my phone afterwards and noted how long the 911 calls were and how close together they were. It seemed like hours when it happened.

Some day I am going to get around to rewriting this and editing it. It is very rough but when I wrote it I was more concerned with getting it down and out than it being purdy. It has more than served it's purpose as far as my intentions were then.
Old 10-12-2008, 13:58   #157
Misty02

Quote:
Originally Posted by misskitty5077 View Post
Hi Misty. I've not seen you posting before.

I made the decision to shoot when I got the gun. Thank God I didn't have to but if he had even tried to get thru my window, or a second person come up, I would have started shooting. That glass was the line I had just drawn in the sand...

It all seemed like slow motion.

I was amazed when I checked my phone afterwards and noted how long the 911 calls were and how close together they were. It seemed like hours when it happened.

Some day I am going to get around to rewriting this and editing it. It is very rough but when I wrote it I was more concerned with getting it down and out than it being purdy. It has more than served it's purpose as far as my intentions were then.
Funny you mention that, it is exactly what I have heard from people that have been faced with life-threatening experiences. It all went down in a matter of minutes yet those minutes seemed to last forever.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
In my opinion, mental conditioning is as important as practicing and knowing how to use your weapon well. Stories like yours and that of others I read in the thread do help in forming a frame a mind before-hand; I can only hope that I will react the same way. <o:p></o:p>
I am kind of new to the forum and even newer to gun ownership, got my first (and only so far) on 9/9/08. Calling myself a newbie would be an understatement. I have not even carried outside the house or car yet. The main reason I am carrying while at home all the time is to get everyone here used to the idea, we are not totally there but continue to work on it. Will be able to carry outside once I receive my CWL, sent the application in on 8/22/08, they cashed my check on 9/9/08 (oddly, the same day I actually bought the gun) and I am tapping my fingers here waiting.<o:p></o:p>
Thanks for the welcome!<o:p></o:p>

"In making tactical dispositions, the highest pitch you can attain is to conceal them." - Sun Tzu

Outpost Member #69
Old 10-12-2008, 15:05   #158
Rager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty02 View Post
To any LEO reading this thread Ė what kind of trouble would one face if the gun is made visible to that other person after telling them more than once to back off from the car? Lets assume, for the sake of argument, that we are not able to drive off at the moment because we are either sandwiched in between two cars or our vehicle isnít operational. Yes, I do know that if it is ever shown I am to be the one to let 911 know that I feared for my life and took my gun out. Just wondering what the consequences thereafter would be. Obviously, this is assuming the other person runs out after seeing the gun and I donít have to use it. <o:p></o:p>
I'm not an LEO. You are going to carry to stop a perpetrator. Not scare them.
Rager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 18:16   #159
Misty02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rager View Post
The day I pull out a gun on another person it will be because my life or that of a loved one is in danger. It will also be pulled with the intent to use it. Having said that, if the person runs away at the sight of the gun, I donít believe I can shoot them in the back as they ran away. They would not be posing a threat to my life if they are running away from me.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Outpost Member #69
Old 10-12-2008, 20:59   #160
Clyde in CO
LOL WUT?

I've heard stories where someone pulls a gun on an attacker and the perp just smiles and says "like I've never had a gun pointed at me before" or "you don't have the guts"

I'd post what I'd do in that situation, but knowing my luck it'll happen tomorrow... so y'all can just use your imagination.
Clyde in CO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 04:13   #161
Dean

Quote:
Originally Posted by misskitty5077 View Post
Am I jumping to conclusions? Do you all think that he was going to carjack me? Did I handle things right? What would you have done differently?
Thanks for you input.
He wasn't going to carjack you. That was more likely an abduction attempt. He was going to kidnap you, and worse. You might have driven to the nearest police station - that's the only thing you could have done better. Good work and congratulations on surviving an encounter with a dangerous criminal.

Did you get the plate? Hit and run is a good collar. The police will pursue that.
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 20:29   #162
MrsKitty

No, I didn't get the plate. Actually, I don't think they had one. I would have gotten it but I don't remember even seeing one.

I have been told by several that it was probably more than a car jacking.
Old 10-13-2008, 22:22   #163
Shadow Heart

Quote:
if showing the gun stops the actions, without using deadly force, hey so be it. all signs pointed to disaster and she did the right thing, she also got informed by the dispatcher to protect herself, so in the unlikley even he pressed charges on her for him seeing the gun, the 911 tape would get her off the hook as she was instructed to do so.
Shadow Heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 02:30   #164
Rager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Heart View Post
if showing the gun stops the actions, without using deadly force, hey so be it. all signs pointed to disaster and she did the right thing, she also got informed by the dispatcher to protect herself, so in the unlikely even he pressed charges on her for him seeing the gun, the 911 tape would get her off the hook as she was instructed to do so.
Miss Kitty did not reveal the gun.

In Misty's post, Misty is suggesting that if she were in the same situation what if she revealed the gun, would that be a no-no? I'm saying that you shouldn't even consider that sort of thinking. It's a fine line but it's not good thinking.
Rager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 07:50   #165
April
Lifetime Membership

Send a message via Yahoo to April
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty02 View Post
The day I pull out a gun on another person it will be because my life or that of a loved one is in danger. It will also be pulled with the intent to use it. Having said that, if the person runs away at the sight of the gun, I donít believe I can shoot them in the back as they ran away. They would not be posing a threat to my life if they are running away from me.
Ragner has the right idea on this. If a situation ever escalates to the point that you feel in fear for your life or the lives of the innocents in your care, there shouldn't be time for the attacker to run away. Draw and fire should be a continuous movement. Once a would-be attacker has the time to identify a weapon and make a choice about what to do about it, he's also had the time to take it away from you.

The commitment to draw should also be the commitment to fire. If it isn't, it's time to consider more training and perhaps reconsider your intent in carrying a firearm.
Old 10-18-2008, 18:02   #166
Doc Blase

You did great, nice work!

A couple of reactions to recent posts in this thread:

According to many eyewitness accounts and my Patrol procedures instructor, "You haven't got the guts" is one of the most popular last things people have said. The other was, "Go ahead and shoot me."

I agree completely with your choice to have your weapon in your hand but hidden. This is the ultimate state of readiness without putting you at the disadvantage of allowing your opponent to realize how ready you are.

The only time the assailant would get an opportunity to see the weapon would be when it's coming up to shoot, not to intimidate or threaten.

Police sometimes use their weapons differently than civilians, occasionally using the drawn pistol to enforce compliance. I wouldn't advise that tactic for civilian use unless the civilian is trained and equipped to use the escalating force continuum and know with certainty they can follow through with lethal force if the attack escalates.

Just ask "what will happen if I don't shoot" and if the answer is you are in fear for your life or someone else's being taken, then shooting is probably justified.

The cure for fear is... courage.
Doc Blase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 01:28   #167
Misty02

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF Wife View Post
Ragner has the right idea on this. If a situation ever escalates to the point that you feel in fear for your life or the lives of the innocents in your care, there shouldn't be time for the attacker to run away. Draw and fire should be a continuous movement. Once a would-be attacker has the time to identify a weapon and make a choice about what to do about it, he's also had the time to take it away from you.

The commitment to draw should also be the commitment to fire. If it isn't, it's time to consider more training and perhaps reconsider your intent in carrying a firearm.
Thank you for the explanation, FF Wife. Iíve been a gun owner for about a month now and currently waiting for my CWL. You have clearly illustrated how it could be deadly to reveal a gun for longer than the second it would take to bring up and shoot. I do have to become faster at drawing though.

Outpost Member #69
Old 10-19-2008, 23:33   #168
nestrapez
Glock Owner

paranoid..
Old 11-20-2008, 11:13   #169
FrogWithAGlock
Girl with a Gun

THANK YOU for posting this, Miss Kitty. I need to print it out, and email it to my extremely liberal, anti-gun sisters, who think "it'll never happen to me, and if it does, the cops can protect me".

"peaceful societies do not need general gun bans and violent societies do not benefit from them." Don B. Kates
FrogWithAGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 12:32   #170
WINGS
CLM Number 18
Charter Lifetime Member

Great thread. I read all of the posts and sdfhpson in a new addition to my 'ignore' list.
I passed this thread on to some women on my email list. Have a safe and Happy New Year, MK
WINGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 19:59   #171
narine2541
marine2541

car jacked, hell! Miss Kitty, you may have just saved your life! A women should never get out of the car if hit like you were from behind. It's an old trick and car jacking is the least harm he could have done you.
Old 12-30-2008, 20:04   #172
narine2541
marine2541

Quote:
Originally Posted by nestrapez View Post
paranoid..
What if she were your wife, girlfriend, or daughter? Being unaware of your situation is the first step in having a crime perpetrated on you. If she were not aware, she would be oblivious. Better paranoid than oblivious!
Old 01-21-2009, 11:30   #173
carabidus
Fractal Logic

Model Scenario For All To Follow!

Now that was smooth handling of a serious situation! I will bet my last dollar that guy was going to jack your car AND possibly you as well. Makes me think about what I will do if a similar situation were to happen to me. Thank you for posting this!
carabidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 15:27   #174
Shoeless
Gun Totin' Girl

MAJOR MAJOR KUDOS to both MissKitty and SouthernGal!!!!

Shoeless, who has missed all her GT peeps!
Old 05-06-2009, 08:38   #175
dugo

Great, great thread, Miss Kitty! You did fine! If you're still checking in, thank you much for the gift of your experience. Thanks to Southern Lady too, and all the good posts here. Gotta get my wife to read this. Wish I had seen it before.

One thing about people saying you're paranoid: Don't want to sound too "new-age" but I think we are ideally talking about expanded awareness and real intuitive connection with the environment we are in. It might start with a desire to stay safe, but we are not talking about paranoia.

Most of us walk around slightly "asleep" a lot of the time. I have asked friends how much they think some people miss in life by failing to notice the potentials that are always unfolding in the world around them. Usually shuts them up while they consider it.

But then, my brother always says: "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you." He's the smart one in the family.
dugo is offline   Reply With Quote