Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-01-2005, 19:03   #26
MrsKitty

Quote:
Originally posted by Cat91
Well done.

That has all the signs not of an attempted carjack, but an attempted kidnap. I think YOU were the target, not your car. His conversation on the telephone confirms it for me. If you'd got out, he'd probably have tried to get you into HIS car. If he'd wanted the car he'd have rushed you with his gun out from jump.

A woman alone is often a target for this kind of thing. It is one of the reasons I carry. I have about a quarter mile walk from the courthouse to my car every day, alone. Anyone who wanted to try something would have ample time and opportunity to do so. A disarmed woman is a nother term for "victim" in our criminal society. I'd bet that he knew you were armed after what you said to him about backing off the car before you had to protect yourself-that and the police inbound to your location's why he ran.

Miao, Cat
A close friend who is a detective has advised me that she thought he was out to get me too. Possibly a gang initation thing (sp?).

Regardless, it looks like I did the right thing

It is scary to think back about what could have happened. When you come that close to a deadly situation it is terrifying later. Then, you don't have time to think--you are going on instinct. You have to rely on your gut and act. No time to weigh the odds. If you spend your life living in a bubble, you won't be prepared to act on a moment's notice... A lot to think about...
Old 01-01-2005, 23:10   #27
flatline45

It doesn't sound like a car jacking to me esp since he wanted you to go to his car. Usually a car jacker will show you the weapon and have you get out. You did better than most men i know would've done. You kept your head, assessed the situation, took control, called the cops (very important) and very very importantly you were willing to use force to protect yourself. Im glad nothign happened to you and that you didn't have to take someones life to preserve your own.

Flatline ^-^-^-^----------
flatline45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 12:46   #28
Jaegergirl
Proud2BAmerican

wow, what a story! how scary! i'm glad you're ok.
Ohio Glockers #68
In memory of my brother, Rick www.homefree1996.com.
Proud parent of a Young Marine. www.glcyoungmarines.org
Jaegergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 09:44   #29
MrMurphy
Head Sheepdog

Just remember if you have to fire, fire at least three..... the first two will shatter the window and not necessarily hit him where you expect.

Assuming he stuck around long enough after he saw the gun.

Good job kitty. I told you about my experience once didn't I?
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 09:48   #30
MrsKitty

Yep, you did. But you didn't tell the other ladies here
Old 01-03-2005, 11:00   #31
SouthernGal
What's Up Dox?

Sounds so familiar to me it is eerie.

Were you a total wreck when you got home? I remember I was mess.
SouthernGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 16:30   #32
MrsKitty

No.

I was still in awe. It didn't really "click" what had happened. I knew something wasn't right the whole time and went with my gut feeling but I couldn't quite put my finger on it.

The next morning I was driving up the road and it hit me what had happened. Boy was I pissed. If I could have gotten my hands around that guy's neck...
Old 01-04-2005, 06:20   #33
rlbgfish173

WOW great job, glad things worked out the way they did. I'm going to print this out and give to my wife. I'm also sitting here and wondering what my dumb ***** would have done.
rlbgfish173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 07:22   #34
SouthernGal
What's Up Dox?

Quote:
Originally posted by misskitty5077
No.

I was still in awe. It didn't really "click" what had happened. I knew something wasn't right the whole time and went with my gut feeling but I couldn't quite put my finger on it.

The next morning I was driving up the road and it hit me what had happened. Boy was I pissed. If I could have gotten my hands around that guy's neck...
Mine experience was a little different. The first guy really wanted in my car and made it obvious. I kept thinking to myself that he was going to go to the cops after I hit him with the car and that really scared me. Now I know how ridiculous that sounds.

Quote from Mel Gibson "I can't be sure, but I got the distinct impression he wanted to do harm to me."
Old 01-04-2005, 07:50   #35
engineer151515

Quote:
Originally posted by Kolchak
Congratulations on having such terrific instincts and the
ability to keep your cool under pressure. I believe that we
all wish that we would behave the same way. You really proved
yourself on this one.
+1 ;?

Excellent.

I was suprised 911 asked if you had a means to protect yourself and then advised you not to hesitate if necessary to do so!

PC correctness really flies out the window when your butt is on the line!

Congratulations. You may have saved your own life.
Old 01-04-2005, 10:16   #36
MrsKitty

Quote:
Originally posted by engineer151515
I was suprised 911 asked if you had a means to protect yourself and then advised you not to hesitate if necessary to do so!
I got the distinct impression there had been other complaints about this guy before.

While the officer was taking notes, he looked back to his earlier notes a couple pages up a few times. I felt like the was comparing descriptions as this was while I was describing the guy.

The dispatcher was a woman. As soon as I told her what the guy was doing she asked for what he was wearing. Then she told me to protect myself.

I think he was a well known client
Old 01-04-2005, 10:18   #37
MrsKitty

Quote:
Originally posted by SouthernGal
Quote from Mel Gibson "I can't be sure, but I got the distinct impression he wanted to do harm to me."

;f ;f ;f
Old 01-04-2005, 21:17   #38
Vic303

MissKitty, I'm wondering if there was ever an arrest & trial of the guy? Hopefully he is not running around loose any more!
--Vic
Don't the sun look angry through the trees?
Don't the trees look like crucified thieves?
Vic303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 21:29   #39
PilotKitten
Mrs. MrMurphy

Wow MissKitty...you're my new hero! ;? ;W
PilotKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 21:39   #40
bachchoy
Bond

misskitty

You did everything perfect!

Well done!

That was a carjacking attempt!

More women should be as level headed as you!

Well done!

Bladerunners/40/Niners/Sub/1911/G1 Niner's #1975
Wheelhouse/Rimfire/Milsurp/Kalashnikov\Black Rifle #3030
Food/OAF/SNS/Survival #5
bachchoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 22:12   #41
MrsKitty

Quote:
Originally posted by Vic303
MissKitty, I'm wondering if there was ever an arrest & trial of the guy? Hopefully he is not running around loose any more!
--Vic
No idea ;g

If he is loose, he best not try jacking me again
Old 01-10-2005, 20:05   #42
pete1953

I'm real happy you were in control of things and you got home safe! I copied your letter and sent it to friends in hopes that they may take your experience to heart and be safe and smart themselves. Unfortunately most of them live in PRNJ (no CCW) and do not have an out of state CCW for when they travel :(
Pete
Married 31 years, wonderful wife & two daughters = all shooters. Believe in family, honor, love & respect. PaGlockers117;BigDawg1381;565=1911;Blade;Rim;Moto;Wheel;S&W;36;Survival;TriState;GOTOD; NRA,GOA,SAS,VCDL,ANJRPC,FallsTwpRifle&Pistol
pete1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 14:11   #43
Reochampa

Good job!

Very well done, you handled your self very proffesionally and maturly, its more peaple like you, that I want to see w/ccp(concealed carry permitt) thanks for sharing good luck.
Reochampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 16:19   #44
Perry F.

Nice job, you could have told them you called th police sooner?
Old 01-19-2005, 22:25   #45
LadyG23

Send a message via ICQ to LadyG23 Send a message via AIM to LadyG23 Send a message via Yahoo to LadyG23
Quote:
Originally posted by SouthernGal
Mine experience was a little different. The first guy really wanted in my car and made it obvious. I kept thinking to myself that he was going to go to the cops after I hit him with the car and that really scared me. Now I know how ridiculous that sounds.
Would you mind posting your experience here or if it's posted already, directing us to it? I think I'd like to read it.

Miss Kitty - thank you for the wake up call! Your actions / reactions were great and actually give others a "plan" if something similar happens to them.
GOTOD #40
NRA Life Member
The Political Asylum
WOMEN HAVE ISSUES!
I'm back, I'm staying, get over it.
LadyG23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 05:29   #46
Perry F.

Quote:
Originally posted by MrMurphy
Just remember if you have to fire, fire at least three..... the first two will shatter the window and not necessarily hit him where you expect.

Assuming he stuck around long enough after he saw the gun.

Good job kitty. I told you about my experience once didn't I?

Thanks for the info on the window thing, never thought I would need to shoot through a window. I did'nt think it would take three rounds.^4
Old 02-11-2005, 23:25   #47
MrsKitty

;d ;d ;d
Old 02-16-2005, 14:57   #48
SouthernGal
What's Up Dox?

Quote:
Originally posted by LadyG23
Would you mind posting your experience here or if it's posted already, directing us to it? I think I'd like to read it.

Miss Kitty - thank you for the wake up call! Your actions / reactions were great and actually give others a "plan" if something similar happens to them.
It's been a long time since I posted what happened to me.

It was a warm September morning and my dog and I were up early to go to Beale Street for Channel 13's Good Morning Memphis. My dog was to appear in a mock "Running of the Weenies" which would air live so that the station could drum up interest in the event.

We ran our event and spoke to the lady with Channel 13. When it was over, I put the dog on the leash and walked back up Beale. It was about 8:30 in the morning and it was hot already. I had on shorts and a teeshirt.

As I approached the MLG&W building where I'd parked, there were 3 men sitting on the concrete flowerbed barriers in front of the building. I'd already reached into my pocket and unlocked the car doors with the key fob. About the time I snatched the door open, one of the men got up from where he was sitting and approached the car. I shoved the dog in, leash and all.

When I saw him move toward my car, I reached down and locked the car door using the auto-lock. He came over to the driver's side and started beating and pounding on the window. "Hey lady, let down the window, open the door." I told him to get away from the car. He kept on beating on the window. "Open the door!" About the second or third time he beat the window pretty hard, the dog lept into my lap and started barking at him. He didn't back off. He moved his hand down to the door handle and started pulling on it. "Open the door!!"
"Go away!!" I said.

I cranked the car as fast as I could and put it in drive (I was suddenly remembering he had friends with him). Because of where he was standing, amd how I'd parked, my rearview mirror hit him as I screeched off.

Once I was down the street a bit I started thinking about what happened, how quickly things happened, and I was flustered and scared that this guy would go to the cops and claim I ran over him for no reason. There were other people on the street that morning and NONE of them offered me assistance or intervened on my behalf. I also remembered that there are cameras up all over Beale. I remember once I sat in on a talk that Keith Hainey of MPD put on. In that discussion, he told all of us that once someone is in your car with you, you stand a 50% less chance of coming out of the situation alive.

Three months later I signed up with my husband for the concealed carry class. I even relayed my story to the instructor (a former Memphis police officer) who said he wasn't at all surprised.

All I can tell you is that things happen so quickly it's like a flash. One minute you're minding your own business and the next you've got someone up on you with no telling what intention. I have the deepest inner feeling that this man, whoever he was, had every intention of getting into the vehicle with me that morning and that his purpose was to rob, rape or otherwise harm me in some manner.

Now that I carry wherever I can, I'm more aware of my surroundings than I ever was before. It's almost like I've grown a new pair of eyes into the back of my head. Every stoplight I stop at in the middle of the night, I'm looking around, especially for foot traffic. Same way in parking lots and garages.

Be careful out there. I don't know where you live, but Memphis is a very unsafe place and I know that all too well.
Old 02-18-2005, 04:39   #49
okie
GT Mayor

Miss Kitty I am so glad you are okie dokie my dear. You did a wonderful job;w
okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 09:26   #50
MGomez81

My goodness. Miss Kitty, I'm very glad you're still with us. You made it out ok, which is all that matters.

Just reminds me how necessary having "protection" really is. One handgun is just the minimum, I learned from reading your thread that having another BUG would be even better. And a charged cell phone ready to dial at all times.

Thanks for sharing and the good reminder.
MGomez81 is offline   Reply With Quote