Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-10-2014, 16:39   #1
Rocknropes

Illegal dumping on my property

I own land in South Florida but I live elsewhere. It's just land that sits there, however periodically someone has been dumping garbage and other things on my land. I've put up no trespassing and no dumping signs but they just rip them off and throw them to the side.

What could I legally do? I talked to my cousin who is a Sheriff's deputy and he said I can apply for an official Sheriff's office sign, but I don't know if that would deter them. The thing is, the land is in a rural area and cops don't typically patrol the area.

Any ideas of how to put a stop to this? I live VERY far away from this land and cannot visit nor have someone reliably check on it. Any ideas? And no, I don't have land mines or punji stick pits.
Rocknropes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 16:42   #2
John Rambo
Raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocknropes View Post
I own land in South Florida but I live elsewhere. It's just land that sits there, however periodically someone has been dumping garbage and other things on my land. I've put up no trespassing and no dumping signs but they just rip them off and throw them to the side.

What could I legally do? I talked to my cousin who is a Sheriff's deputy and he said I can apply for an official Sheriff's office sign, but I don't know if that would deter them. The thing is, the land is in a rural area and cops don't typically patrol the area.

Any ideas of how to put a stop to this? I live VERY far away from this land and cannot visit nor have someone reliably check on it. Any ideas? And no, I don't have land mines or punji stick pits.
Many people who own rural land and don't live on it put up with this. The locals flat out don't care that its your land. They have no intention of stopping.

Put up cameras and a fence. Make sure the cameras are hidden and upload video remotely. Also, make friends with the local police. They'll give you a hand.

And yes, apply for the signs.

Last edited by John Rambo; 08-10-2014 at 16:43..
John Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 16:49   #3
kiole

Trail cameras

Also a bunch of survelliance signs.

Last edited by kiole; 08-10-2014 at 16:51..
kiole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 16:52   #4
Bruce M

See if either the Sheriff's Office or the department that handles soild waste has someone that enforces illegal dumping. If so, they may have some tips. If I remember correctly I believe that any commercial dumping rises to the level of a felony.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/.../0403.413.html
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 16:52   #5
racer11

Dig thur the trash they leave and sooner or later you will find a address linking you to the dumpsters. Have a lawyer send them a nasty letter threatening prosecution if they continue and do not return and remove the trash.
Old 08-10-2014, 17:01   #6
RagnarDanneskjold
Pirate

Is the land bordered by a public road? How many points of vehicle access are there?
Old 08-10-2014, 17:06   #7
Rocknropes

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer11 View Post
Dig thur the trash they leave and sooner or later you will find a address linking you to the dumpsters. Have a lawyer send them a nasty letter threatening prosecution if they continue and do not return and remove the trash.
Hm... good idea. I'll try that next time I'm near the land.
Old 08-10-2014, 17:07   #8
Rocknropes

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagnarDanneskjold View Post
Is the land bordered by a public road? How many points of vehicle access are there?
it's a rural dirt road, there is a fence around the land and a gate but they break the gate and dump.
Old 08-10-2014, 17:11   #9
Huaco Kid

I knew a guy that put up a sign that said, "Smile! You're on a wireless web camera!" He said it pretty much worked.
Huaco Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 17:19   #10
Sniffler
Cyborg

Claymore

This side toward enemy

Old 08-10-2014, 17:23   #11
RagnarDanneskjold
Pirate

Quote:
it's a rural dirt road, there is a fence around the land and a gate but they break the gate and dump.
That makes it a bit easier, you only have to really defend one point, 'cause nobody is gonna hump garbage in on foot. Spend a couple hours looking at that single point, and a couple hours shopping online for gadgets and MacGyver fixes.. a few ideas:

1. Surveillance camera, see what's available online. They're not unreachable price-wise. You need enough resolution to get license plates. That'll let the Sheriff go after the a-holes.

2. There are some damn-near un-defeatable gate designs out there. One time expense is hefty, but you ain't gettin through it with a pickup truck and hand tools.Talking steel I-beam on big hinge secured with beefy lock with a 1/4" thick cut-shield of plate steel around the lock.

3. Buy an old beater vehicle (not pickup truck), and just leave it parked across the entrance road, functioning as a gate.

4. Dig a serious trench across the road and stash a couple of those tire bridges somewhere nearby.

5. Put one of those sheds with a garage-type door on either side of it that you have to drive through. People who think nothing of cutting a fence may5 scruple at busting into a building, and if not, the addition of a security cam makes it burglary, not tresspass and littering...
Old 08-10-2014, 17:40   #12
Altaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagnarDanneskjold View Post
That makes it a bit easier, you only have to really defend one point, 'cause nobody is gonna hump garbage in on foot. Spend a couple hours looking at that single point, and a couple hours shopping online for gadgets and MacGyver fixes.. a few ideas:

1. Surveillance camera, see what's available online. They're not unreachable price-wise. You need enough resolution to get license plates. That'll let the Sheriff go after the a-holes.

Having them come through 1 area does make it easier for you.

The web cam/trail cam would probably be the easiest solution and would give you the best results as far as catching the guys imo.

The vindictive part of me would say set up some type of road spikes just inside your gate. That way when they drive in they will blow out all of their tires. Just remember to remove them whenever you go visit there yourself.
Legally though, I have no clue if that would leave you open for liability if they wrecked though.
Altaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 17:52   #13
huskerbuttons

Do you have any game / wildlife on the property? If so get a deal worked out with some hunters and let them use the property to hunt on if they can keep an eye on the place. They will run the dumpers off.
huskerbuttons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 18:03   #14
Rocknropes

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerbuttons View Post
Do you have any game / wildlife on the property? If so get a deal worked out with some hunters and let them use the property to hunt on if they can keep an eye on the place. They will run the dumpers off.
I thought about that, but there's not much to hunt and I don't want to be liable for them accidentally shooting someone. My cousin goes out there sometimes to shoot targets against a berm, but not that often.
Old 08-10-2014, 18:44   #15
stockyardblues

landmines
stockyardblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 19:04   #16
snowG29

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Ohub Campfire mobile app
snowG29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 19:09   #17
wrenrj1

Sell it. Why are you holding on to it in the first place? If you can't actively manage it on site, or have a property management company or individual look after it, it's more of a pain unless you have future plans for the land.
Old 08-10-2014, 19:12   #18
KevinFACE

Sell the land and let someone else deal with it?
KevinFACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 20:06   #19
Sigobsessed

Buy yourself a gillysuit and a 50bmg and wait for the scumbags! Seriously though the trail cam idea is a good one just make sure they're hidden well enough so they don't get stolen.
Old 08-10-2014, 20:14   #20
PaulMason

Quote:
Did a trench across the road.

Put large rocks on the side of the trench so they can't go around it.

Cover the trench with some 1/4" plywood.

Cover the plywood with dirt.

When they get stuck you will have their vehicle.

This is after your gate of course and you have posted it.
PaulMason is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dumping, trespass