GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2014, 16:39   #1
Rocknropes
Senior Member
 
Rocknropes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 716
Illegal dumping on my property

I own land in South Florida but I live elsewhere. It's just land that sits there, however periodically someone has been dumping garbage and other things on my land. I've put up no trespassing and no dumping signs but they just rip them off and throw them to the side.

What could I legally do? I talked to my cousin who is a Sheriff's deputy and he said I can apply for an official Sheriff's office sign, but I don't know if that would deter them. The thing is, the land is in a rural area and cops don't typically patrol the area.

Any ideas of how to put a stop to this? I live VERY far away from this land and cannot visit nor have someone reliably check on it. Any ideas? And no, I don't have land mines or punji stick pits.
Rocknropes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 16:42   #2
John Rambo
Raven
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Tampa, Fl.
Posts: 9,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocknropes View Post
I own land in South Florida but I live elsewhere. It's just land that sits there, however periodically someone has been dumping garbage and other things on my land. I've put up no trespassing and no dumping signs but they just rip them off and throw them to the side.

What could I legally do? I talked to my cousin who is a Sheriff's deputy and he said I can apply for an official Sheriff's office sign, but I don't know if that would deter them. The thing is, the land is in a rural area and cops don't typically patrol the area.

Any ideas of how to put a stop to this? I live VERY far away from this land and cannot visit nor have someone reliably check on it. Any ideas? And no, I don't have land mines or punji stick pits.
Many people who own rural land and don't live on it put up with this. The locals flat out don't care that its your land. They have no intention of stopping.

Put up cameras and a fence. Make sure the cameras are hidden and upload video remotely. Also, make friends with the local police. They'll give you a hand.

And yes, apply for the signs.

Last edited by John Rambo; 08-10-2014 at 16:43..
John Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 16:49   #3
kiole
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 3,431
Trail cameras

Also a bunch of survelliance signs.

Last edited by kiole; 08-10-2014 at 16:51..
kiole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 16:52   #4
Bruce M
Senior Member
 
Bruce M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: S FL
Posts: 24,585
See if either the Sheriff's Office or the department that handles soild waste has someone that enforces illegal dumping. If so, they may have some tips. If I remember correctly I believe that any commercial dumping rises to the level of a felony.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/.../0403.413.html
__________________
Bruce
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 16:52   #5
racer11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Eastern Kansas
Posts: 2,511
Dig thur the trash they leave and sooner or later you will find a address linking you to the dumpsters. Have a lawyer send them a nasty letter threatening prosecution if they continue and do not return and remove the trash.
__________________
Growing older is not a choice but acting older is optional
racer11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 17:01   #6
RagnarDanneskjold
Pirate
 
RagnarDanneskjold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Behind the Tofu Curtain
Posts: 7,963
Blog Entries: 2
Is the land bordered by a public road? How many points of vehicle access are there?
__________________
"The nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." Thucydides, Greek Historian
RagnarDanneskjold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 17:06   #7
Rocknropes
Senior Member
 
Rocknropes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer11 View Post
Dig thur the trash they leave and sooner or later you will find a address linking you to the dumpsters. Have a lawyer send them a nasty letter threatening prosecution if they continue and do not return and remove the trash.
Hm... good idea. I'll try that next time I'm near the land.
Rocknropes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 17:07   #8
Rocknropes
Senior Member
 
Rocknropes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by RagnarDanneskjold View Post
Is the land bordered by a public road? How many points of vehicle access are there?
it's a rural dirt road, there is a fence around the land and a gate but they break the gate and dump.
Rocknropes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 17:11   #9
Huaco Kid
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: State
Posts: 5,194
I knew a guy that put up a sign that said, "Smile! You're on a wireless web camera!" He said it pretty much worked.
Huaco Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 17:19   #10
Sniffler
Cyborg
 
Sniffler's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Western North Carolina
Posts: 532
Claymore


This side toward enemy

__________________
"Maybe Christmas, the Grinch thought, doesn't come from a store."
Dr. Seuss
Sniffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 17:23   #11
RagnarDanneskjold
Pirate
 
RagnarDanneskjold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Behind the Tofu Curtain
Posts: 7,963
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocknropes View Post
it's a rural dirt road, there is a fence around the land and a gate but they break the gate and dump.
That makes it a bit easier, you only have to really defend one point, 'cause nobody is gonna hump garbage in on foot. Spend a couple hours looking at that single point, and a couple hours shopping online for gadgets and MacGyver fixes.. a few ideas:

1. Surveillance camera, see what's available online. They're not unreachable price-wise. You need enough resolution to get license plates. That'll let the Sheriff go after the a-holes.

2. There are some damn-near un-defeatable gate designs out there. One time expense is hefty, but you ain't gettin through it with a pickup truck and hand tools.Talking steel I-beam on big hinge secured with beefy lock with a 1/4" thick cut-shield of plate steel around the lock.

3. Buy an old beater vehicle (not pickup truck), and just leave it parked across the entrance road, functioning as a gate.

4. Dig a serious trench across the road and stash a couple of those tire bridges somewhere nearby.

5. Put one of those sheds with a garage-type door on either side of it that you have to drive through. People who think nothing of cutting a fence may5 scruple at busting into a building, and if not, the addition of a security cam makes it burglary, not tresspass and littering...
__________________
"The nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." Thucydides, Greek Historian
RagnarDanneskjold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 17:40   #12
Altaris
Senior Member
 
Altaris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Round Rock, TX
Posts: 12,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by RagnarDanneskjold View Post
That makes it a bit easier, you only have to really defend one point, 'cause nobody is gonna hump garbage in on foot. Spend a couple hours looking at that single point, and a couple hours shopping online for gadgets and MacGyver fixes.. a few ideas:

1. Surveillance camera, see what's available online. They're not unreachable price-wise. You need enough resolution to get license plates. That'll let the Sheriff go after the a-holes.


Having them come through 1 area does make it easier for you.

The web cam/trail cam would probably be the easiest solution and would give you the best results as far as catching the guys imo.


The vindictive part of me would say set up some type of road spikes just inside your gate. That way when they drive in they will blow out all of their tires. Just remember to remove them whenever you go visit there yourself.
Legally though, I have no clue if that would leave you open for liability if they wrecked though.
__________________
To Alcohol !
The cause of, and solution to, all of lifes problems
-Homer Simpson-
Altaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 17:52   #13
huskerbuttons
Senior Member
 
huskerbuttons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 1,429
Do you have any game / wildlife on the property? If so get a deal worked out with some hunters and let them use the property to hunt on if they can keep an eye on the place. They will run the dumpers off.
huskerbuttons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 18:03   #14
Rocknropes
Senior Member
 
Rocknropes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerbuttons View Post
Do you have any game / wildlife on the property? If so get a deal worked out with some hunters and let them use the property to hunt on if they can keep an eye on the place. They will run the dumpers off.
I thought about that, but there's not much to hunt and I don't want to be liable for them accidentally shooting someone. My cousin goes out there sometimes to shoot targets against a berm, but not that often.
Rocknropes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 18:44   #15
stockyardblues
Senior Member
 
stockyardblues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 370
landmines
stockyardblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 19:04   #16
snowG29
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 45



Sent from my SCH-I535 using Ohub Campfire mobile app
snowG29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 19:09   #17
wrenrj1
Senior Member
 
wrenrj1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Huskerville
Posts: 10,471
Sell it. Why are you holding on to it in the first place? If you can't actively manage it on site, or have a property management company or individual look after it, it's more of a pain unless you have future plans for the land.
__________________
We are told by our government NOT to judge Muslims by the actions of a few crazies. We are also told by this same government TO judge ALL gun owners by the actions of a few crazies.
wrenrj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 19:12   #18
KevinFACE
Senior Member
 
KevinFACE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,149
Sell the land and let someone else deal with it?
KevinFACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 20:06   #19
Sigobsessed
Senior Member
 
Sigobsessed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Rochester ny
Posts: 4,348
Buy yourself a gillysuit and a 50bmg and wait for the scumbags! Seriously though the trail cam idea is a good one just make sure they're hidden well enough so they don't get stolen.
__________________
That which doesn't kill us makes us stronger
Sigobsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 20:14   #20
PaulMason
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocknropes View Post
it's a rural dirt road, there is a fence around the land and a gate but they break the gate and dump.
Did a trench across the road.

Put large rocks on the side of the trench so they can't go around it.

Cover the trench with some 1/4" plywood.

Cover the plywood with dirt.

When they get stuck you will have their vehicle.

This is after your gate of course and you have posted it.
PaulMason is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply


Tags
dumping, trespass
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:12.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 755
216 Members
539 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31