Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-07-2014, 17:46   #1
Rancher

Firing Squads, I have a ?

After a botched execution I had heard of firing squads being brought back, doubt it will happen but never know.

Someone told me only one of the people in the squad actually has a loaded gun, is that true? Supposed to make it to where none on the squad knows who actually killed the guy. Makes no sense to me as one would know due to the recoil. The other would just flinch really bad!

I'd also figue a high caliber rifle would be used. If six guys shot someone with something in a .30 caliber type rifle would the person on the bullet end not be cut in half or blown apart really bad? I don't have a problem with it but it seems awful messy.

Interested in this so thanks in advance for the replies.

Rancher
Rancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 17:53   #2
Huaco Kid

A couple of states allow the condemned to choose firing squad, or hanging.
Huaco Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 17:59   #3
RagnarDanneskjold
Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancher View Post
After a botched execution I had heard of firing squads being brought back, doubt it will happen but never know.

Someone told me only one of the people in the squad actually has a loaded gun, is that true? Supposed to make it to where none on the squad knows who actually killed the guy. Makes no sense to me as one would know due to the recoil. The other would just flinch really bad!

I'd also figue a high caliber rifle would be used. If six guys shot someone with something in a .30 caliber type rifle would the person on the bullet end not be cut in half or blown apart really bad? I don't have a problem with it but it seems awful messy.

Interested in this so thanks in advance for the replies.

Rancher
Firing-squads have been done many ways. Russia always had an officer with a pistol standing by, because their soldiers' marksmanship was abysmal. One way the U.S. has done it is for an NCO to load the weapons in such a way that the shooters can't see. The non-designated rifles are loaded with full-power blanks. My understanding was that there was one blank, and the rest were live rounds, but I could have that backwards. The recoil and report would not be a giveaway. It is intended as a potential rationalization salve for the consciences of the men, looking back, that they don't know they, personally, actually killed the guy.
Old 08-07-2014, 18:09   #4
D-Ric902

I thought only one of the squad had a blank and the others live.
You could comfort yourself thinking that maybe yours was blank

Last edited by D-Ric902; 08-07-2014 at 18:10..
D-Ric902 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 18:13   #5
eccho

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagnarDanneskjold View Post
Firing-squads have been done many ways. Russia always had an officer with a pistol standing by, because their soldiers' marksmanship was abysmal. One way the U.S. has done it is for an NCO to load the weapons in such a way that the shooters can't see. The non-designated rifles are loaded with full-power blanks. My understanding was that there was one blank, and the rest were live rounds, but I could have that backwards. The recoil and report would not be a giveaway. It is intended as a potential rationalization salve for the consciences of the men, looking back, that they don't know they, personally, actually killed the guy.
Feelings on death penalty aside,

Dont join a damn firing squad if you cant handle it.

For your own sake.
eccho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 18:15   #6
AK_Stick
AAAMAD

Send a message via AIM to AK_Stick Send a message via Yahoo to AK_Stick
That's fine, if you have a choice.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children may have peace"
AK_Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 18:17   #7
CAcop

The way it is supposed to work is one blank the others live. Although with Gary Gilmore they all had live rounds. The point is to make the firing party question if they had the blank or not. Or another way they could look at it is that they think they had the blank if that is what they want. IIRC Utah was the last to do it it and they had the rifles bolted down so there would be no recoil to feel. Traditionally it has been the officer finishing off the guy because the firing party's aim was so bad. Part of that is why they do the blank. People are less likely to not aim away from COM.
I wonder if your assessment of "The Wizard of Oz" would sound something like "A teenaged orphan runs away with three psychotic AD/HD patients and a little dog. She kills the first two women she meets." --Sinecure 07/03/2006
Freakin' awsome!! Kickin it old school. Hot sheet on the dash. The report was probably only two sentences. Long live Rencko and Bobbie Hill!--WhiskeyT
CAcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 18:25   #8
WT

According to the US Army procedure for military executions (1944) the officer in charge of the execution will

g. Cause twelve rifles to be loaded in his presence. Not more than four nor less than one will be loaded with blank ammunition. He will place the rifles at random in the rack provided for that purpose.

http://www.loc.gov/rr/frd/Military_L..._june-1944.pdf
WT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 18:27   #9
RagnarDanneskjold
Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by eccho View Post
Feelings on death penalty aside,

Dont join a damn firing squad if you cant handle it.

For your own sake.
My understanding is that, in various militaries, it has not always been voluntary duty.

Last edited by RagnarDanneskjold; 08-07-2014 at 18:28..
RagnarDanneskjold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 18:42   #10
Huaco Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_Stick View Post
That's fine, if you have a choice.
If they forced you, couldn't you just aim a little wide?
Old 08-07-2014, 18:48   #11
paynter2
It ain't over

The politicians and left wing idiots combine to make this (execution) to not work.

We take loved ones to be 'executed' successfully and humanely all the time - we take our pets to the Vet.

Why not take the satanic members of society to the Vet too? QED
Old 08-07-2014, 18:48   #12
RagnarDanneskjold
Pirate

Deleted.

Last edited by RagnarDanneskjold; 08-07-2014 at 18:50..
RagnarDanneskjold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 18:59   #13
Resqu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by paynter2 View Post
The politicians and left wing idiots combine to make this (execution) to not work.

We take loved ones to be 'executed' successfully and humanely all the time - we take our pets to the Vet.

Why not take the satanic members of society to the Vet too? QED
Why or how can a Vet put a hundred plus pound dog down so peacefully yet we can't kill a person so easily?
Old 08-07-2014, 19:05   #14
paynter2
It ain't over

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resqu2 View Post
Why or how can a Vet put a hundred plus pound dog down so peacefully yet we can't kill a person so easily?
That's my point - take those losers to the local vet and 'put them down'.
Old 08-07-2014, 19:12   #15
Bruce M

I would think that in our nation firing squad duty would be voluntary. But that is just a guess.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 19:19   #16
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot

Why not just sit them in a chair with a stick of dynamite by their head on a timer? Guaranteed they won't feel a thing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Geko45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 19:20   #17
eccho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce M View Post
I would think that in our nation firing squad duty would be voluntary. But that is just a guess.
We could pull volunteers from glocktalk.

All the state would have to do is post what the crime was.
eccho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 19:32   #18
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

I have said it before and I will say it again. Seal them up in an air tight room and let nature take it's course.

If you want you can make the room have multiple valves so no one person is responsible.

If you want, you could put problem prisoners in there and not seal the room.
Old 08-07-2014, 19:40   #19
Diesel McBadass
Tactically Epic

Id be able to sleep better with certainty than uncertainty, no idea why they arent all live rounds
Old 08-07-2014, 19:46   #20
Huaco Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geko45 View Post
Why not just sit them in a chair with a stick of dynamite by their head on a timer? Guaranteed they won't feel a thing.
How about one of those little squeaky bugs that Kahn puts in their ears.