Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-11-2014, 10:23   #1
ithaca_deerslayer

Call of Duty Ghosts, offline fun

My 4th grade son has Xbox, and not internet. It actually works quite well. We've got 2 controllers so can multi-play offline.

For people who don't have Call of Duty Ghosts, it is a shoot 'em up war game. You are a guy and run around and shoot other guys not on your team. If they are on your team, their name shows in blue above their character. Otherwise they are enemy and you need to shoot them as soon as you see them, or else they shoot you.

With 2 controllers, there is a split screen on the tv. He can play with friends who come over, or play the game with his old man. My son plays the top view, I play the bottom view. When we are in the same place in the game, looking the same direction, we see the same stuff (so being the top or bottom view of the split screen doesn't make any difference in the game playing). He'll see me, and I'll see him, his character and mine are dressed different.

You get to pick what gun to use, so we usually don't have the same type of gun, but sometimes do. You also get to pick modifications, such as scope, red dot, foregrip, stuff like that. Affects how well the gun works, or recoils, or stays on target.

Anyway, the game is great father and son time. We go around in the game, help each other, come up with strategies, mess around. Stuff like that.

He's twice as good as me at the game, but we have a lot of fun.

Thanks to GT I got some good tips on this video game system choice I made for him. Went with the Xbox 360, and a very large hard-drive (250 gig) because he was going to be playing offline (no internet) and thus needed lots of space for the games to load and save. He's played about a dozen different games such as, star trek, halo 4, minecraft, call of duty world at war, assassin's creed, sonic, and some others. They all work perfect, even off-line. No glitches or problems at all. So, thanks GT

Last edited by ithaca_deerslayer; 09-11-2014 at 10:28..
ithaca_deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 10:44   #2
Adjuster

Is it possible to hook up two tv/monitors instead of having the split screen? Just seems like it would be more fun say if you each had your own 32" tv or something like that.

/
Adjuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 10:50   #3
ithaca_deerslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjuster View Post
Is it possible to hook up two tv/monitors instead of having the split screen? Just seems like it would be more fun say if you each had your own 32" tv or something like that.

/
I don't know the technical possibilities.

But since we are playing on a 40" widescreen, with 1080p resolution (the max res for tv channels, I think), it isn't much of an issue.

I don't think my wife would like us getting two 40" tv's

Sometimes I'll look up at his view, or he'll look down at my view. For example, if I'm camping in a sniper position, and he walks by, I'll glance at his view to see how I look

Last edited by ithaca_deerslayer; 09-11-2014 at 10:53..
Old 09-15-2014, 11:37   #4
ithaca_deerslayer

After some games this weekend, I think I can now conclude that my son is 5x better than me at Call of Duty

I figure that has got to help him in the future computer controlled world he will inherit from us.
Old 09-15-2014, 18:12   #5
spork
Caffeinator

It is truly sad that so few games are made with a split-screen capability nowadays. Most current games only have online cooperative play available. My wife loves playing most of the same games as I do, but doesn't care for the online environment much.
Old 09-15-2014, 18:19   #6
bigmac85

OP, if you enjoyed Ghosts, I recommend checking out some of the older call of duty titles. Usually you can pick them up used very cheap. Lots of 2 player co-op missions and such and all can be played offline.

My personal favorite is Modern Warfare 2. There's a "black ops" mission where one player covers the other from a helicopter equipped with an automatic grenade launcher. :D

Last edited by bigmac85; 09-15-2014 at 18:23..
bigmac85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 18:25   #7
Phaze5ive

It's impossible not to screen cheat on split screen mode
Phaze5ive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 20:26   #8
Kranq

I used to play shooters with/against my son a lot when he was growing up. We had fun, and it was one of the things that he could honestly beat me at. No throwing the game, he beat my ass at will and had a blast whipping up on dad.
Kranq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 22:28   #9
THEPOPE
Nibb

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac85 View Post
OP, if you enjoyed Ghosts, I recommend checking out some of the older call of duty titles. Usually you can pick them up used very cheap. Lots of 2 player co-op missions and such and all can be played offline.

My personal favorite is Modern Warfare 2. There's a "black ops" mission where one player covers the other from a helicopter equipped with an automatic grenade launcher. :D
I recently re-loaded original COD and am having a ball playing old school single play mode...always did the on-line and never played single...love the key-pad and mouse verses the pos control on most consoles. I know, some play em like a fiddle, not me...
I do split screen X box with grandkid, he murders me...and my grown son, he owns me, we have a ball, though...

Out and shootin Nazis...

the Pope with most....Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.
THEPOPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 08:01   #10
ithaca_deerslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac85 View Post

Thanks for the tips! I'll keep an eye out for them at good prices
Old 09-16-2014, 08:03   #11
ithaca_deerslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kranq View Post
I used to play shooters with/against my son a lot when he was growing up. We had fun, and it was one of the things that he could honestly beat me at. No throwing the game, he beat my ass at will and had a blast whipping up on dad.
True that.

In other things, like soccer or chess, I hold back to make it fun for him to play. But in computer games, I try as hard as I can, and still lose
Old 09-16-2014, 08:57   #12
JabbaNoBother

Ah the days of split screen sessions. We used to get 8 or so of us together for Halo lan parties. Two rear screen protectors with 2 Xboxs... 4 on 4 with hours of smack talk lol.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:12   #13
NEP

[QUOTE=THEPOPE;21539689]I recently re-loaded original COD and am having a ball playing old school single play mode...always did the on-line and never played single...love the key-pad and mouse verses the pos control on most consoles. I know, some play em like a fiddle, not me...

I do split screen X box with grandkid, he murders me...and my grown son, he owns me, we have a ball, though...

Out and shootin Nazis...:cool:[/
QUOTE]

This is excellent, the first scenario I have heard of a grandfather playing cod with kids and grand kids.
NEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 17:33   #14
maxmanta

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEPOPE View Post
I recently re-loaded original COD and am having a ball playing old school single play mode...always did the on-line and never played single...love the key-pad and mouse verses the pos control on most consoles. I know, some play em like a fiddle, not me...

Out and shootin Nazis...
I use my xbox alot, but I prefer the mouse & keyboard controls alot more. Finer adjustments are alot easier with a mouth than a joystick.
maxmanta is offline   Reply With Quote