Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-01-2014, 05:16   #1
Aceman

Ebola coming to America!

In highly contained, secure settings, under care of CDC.

Darn! And just when a good outbreak would really stir things up.

For those concerned…calm down and go back to building faraday boxes.
Aceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 07:49   #2
JabbaNoBother

Quick, get Dustin Hoffman and Cuba Gooding Jr...do some low flying helicopter maneuvers.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Ohub Campfire mobile app
Old 08-01-2014, 09:27   #3
Turn4811

It is irresponsible to bring this infected person to America. The aid worker who contracted the disease was highly trained on how to handle infected people so the disease would not spread and they 'effed it up. Now others with similar training get there chance to 'eff up Atlanta. Do we really trust any government agency to do what they are supposed to?
Old 08-01-2014, 09:53   #4
eb07
Sharkin'

As an American citizen he deserves the right to come home and get the best treatment possible. I am pretty sure if any of you got deathly ill in a third world country, you would not hesitate to come home and get treated here instead of getting treatment in a sub par country.

If it was you or one of your family members, I am sure your tune would change.

I also cannot believe the OP wishes an outbreak would occur in the US killing people.

What is wrong with society these days?
eb07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 10:10   #5
JabbaNoBother

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb07 View Post
As an American citizen he deserves the right to come home and get the best treatment possible. I am pretty sure if any of you got deathly ill in a third world country, you would not hesitate to come home and get treated here instead of getting treatment in a sub par country.

If it was you or one of your family members, I am sure your tune would change.

I also cannot believe the OP wishes an outbreak would occur in the US killing people.

What is wrong with society these days?
Me thinks sarcasm?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Ohub Campfire mobile app
Old 08-01-2014, 10:13   #6
eb07
Sharkin'

If so, my apologies.
eb07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 05:48   #7
SevenSixtyTwo

I can't imagine having to endure the transportation, flight and more transport while being gravely ill. But no need for concern. You can only catch it through intimate contact. Must be one heck of an orgy going on over there.
SevenSixtyTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 09:04   #8
Aceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenSixtyTwo View Post
You can only catch it through intimate contact. Must be one heck of an orgy going on over there.
Not true…puke, poo, all sorts of fluids.

But remember - these people are essentially treating an unbelievably virulent disease in ditch. It is impressive that MORE people don't get it.

Part of the reason we fear Ebola is that the places that get it are unbelievable crud holes. In Sierra Leone and Liberia you are more likely to die from bandits, rape, and assorted other unpleasantries honestly….

Seriously? Don't bring a US Citizen back? Wow….
Old 08-02-2014, 09:20   #9
thesurefire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turn4811 View Post
It is irresponsible to bring this infected person to America. The aid worker who contracted the disease was highly trained on how to handle infected people so the disease would not spread and they 'effed it up. Now others with similar training get there chance to 'eff up Atlanta. Do we really trust any government agency to do what they are supposed to?
Unfortunately I agree.

We had highly trained people using the best practices to avoid getting infected and they still got infected. They were experts and obviously knew the risks and procedures.

There is absolutely zero reasons why we couldn't have sent staff over with the proper equipment and treated them in place. You send 20 people over to treat the two and if the 20 get infected you realize you've made an error. You cut the loses and quarantine the entire country. But now, If 1 nurse gets infected in Atlanta and goes out on a Friday night, we could have a global pandemic within days on a level not seen by humans since the black death in Europe. Add to that Ebola kills 60 to 90 percent of its victims brutally.

Bringing them to the US is an un-needed, and frankly a totally irresponsible risk to take. I am continually surprised by how stupidly incompetent "experts" are. The easy way to avoid these risks is stop giving people the opportunity the screw up.

People need to remember Ebloa is fairly unique. It is highly infectious and very deadly, however it also can have up to a 21 day incubation period. This leaves a risk of monumental proportions. If just one man fly's out of Africa back home to LA and infects just 10 others in LA, a global pandemic is nearly guaranteed. Each one of the 10 will infect 10 to 100 more in their travels, and the infection rate is exponential from there. The worst part is the ill wouldn't even know they were doing it.

The media's portray of "Ebloa is unlikely to spread in the US or Europe" is a flat out lie. Do the research about just how infectious Ebola is. The only good thing about it is that most of the people who get it get sick pretty quickly (within about 5 days) and get so sick they do not travel or go out in public. This leaves a relatively limited time to infect others before they die.
Old 08-02-2014, 09:35   #10
thesurefire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
Not true…puke, poo, all sorts of fluids.

But remember - these people are essentially treating an unbelievably virulent disease in ditch. It is impressive that MORE people don't get it.

Part of the reason we fear Ebola is that the places that get it are unbelievable crud holes. In Sierra Leone and Liberia you are more likely to die from bandits, rape, and assorted other unpleasantries honestly….

Seriously? Don't bring a US Citizen back? Wow….
I have a pretty cynical take on diseases because I deal with numbers by trade. Lets assume a "good" outcome of the disease. Of those exposed only 70 percent get it, and only 70 percent of those die.

A standard model of the common cold will show about 70 percent of the populous will be exposed. Ok, 300 million * .7 *.7 * .7 = 102. Only 102 million people in the US would die given a "good" outcome of a potential epidemic.

I know it sounds heartless, but that's not a number I'm comfortable with. The risk is simply too great. Even if there is just a 1 in 100 change that Ebola somehow gets out of containment in Atlanta, that's a projected death toll of 1 million for *MAYBE* saving 2 lives. We can argue that the disease would get here anywhere if there is a real epidemic anywhere and you'd probably be right. I'm all about risk mitigation.

On the flip side, the human population is overdue for a massive culling. I hope everyone is getting ready for the inevitable day it comes.
Old 08-02-2014, 09:46   #11
NDCent
Socially Inept

Here's a couple articles mentioning the possibility of airborn Ebola virus. One is current and the other from back in 2012. One dealing with it happening in a controlled experiment between pigs and monkeys, and the other article saying scientific experiments show it's possible, although, its not been seen in a real life situation, yet.

I'm no chicken little, but I'll wait for a better consensus between scientist and health officials instead of getting my knowledge of how it could/can/can't spreads from GT members, ymmv.

http://www.alistaday.com/how-ebola-v...orrific-facts/

http://healthmap.org/site/diseasedai...irborne-112112
Old 08-02-2014, 09:50   #12
Will Beararms

God bless these healthcare workers and their families. May they have a full recovery. That said,THEY KNEW the risks when they decided to go there.

Bringing then back is idiotic and dangerous to the our nation's welfare.

It's clear our national politicians from both parties do not have our best interests at heart.
Old 08-02-2014, 09:55   #13
thesurefire

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDCent View Post
Here's a couple articles mentioning the possibility of airborn Ebola virus. One is current and the other from back in 2012. One dealing with it happening in a controlled experiment between pigs and monkeys, and the other article saying scientific experiments show it's possible, although, its not been seen in a real life situation, yet.

I'm no chicken little, but I'll wait for a better consensus between scientist and health officials instead of getting my knowledge of how it could/can/can't spreads from GT members, ymmv.

http://www.alistaday.com/how-ebola-v...orrific-facts/

http://healthmap.org/site/diseasedai...irborne-112112
Science, much like opinions about anything is really just a best guess. The more info we can get the better. Keep in mind the source and who regulates it.

the CDCs official page: http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/

the CDC on Ebola transmission: http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/transmission/index.html

WHO on Ebola: http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs103/en/
Old 08-02-2014, 13:10   #14
actionshooter10
CLM Number 19
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesurefire View Post
Unfortunately I agree.

We had highly trained people using the best practices to avoid getting infected and they still got infected. They were experts and obviously knew the risks and procedures.

There is absolutely zero reasons why we couldn't have sent staff over with the proper equipment and treated them in place. You send 20 people over to treat the two and if the 20 get infected you realize you've made an error. You cut the loses and quarantine the entire country. But now, If 1 nurse gets infected in Atlanta and goes out on a Friday night, we could have a global pandemic within days on a level not seen by humans since the black death in Europe. Add to that Ebola kills 60 to 90 percent of its victims brutally.

Bringing them to the US is an un-needed, and frankly a totally irresponsible risk to take. I am continually surprised by how stupidly incompetent "experts" are. The easy way to avoid these risks is stop giving people the opportunity the screw up.

People need to remember Ebloa is fairly unique. It is highly infectious and very deadly, however it also can have up to a 21 day incubation period. This leaves a risk of monumental proportions. If just one man fly's out of Africa back home to LA and infects just 10 others in LA, a global pandemic is nearly guaranteed. Each one of the 10 will infect 10 to 100 more in their travels, and the infection rate is exponential from there. The worst part is the ill wouldn't even know they were doing it.

The media's portray of "Ebloa is unlikely to spread in the US or Europe" is a flat out lie. Do the research about just how infectious Ebola is. The only good thing about it is that most of the people who get it get sick pretty quickly (within about 5 days) and get so sick they do not travel or go out in public. This leaves a relatively limited time to infect others before they die.
I completely get what you're saying and understand but those healthcare workers were using best practices for the location they were in. They were in a third world country with very limited resources. The best practices they used are equivalent to an isolation ward here in the states.

We have dedicated aircraft, equipment and labs built to transport and treat highly contagious people. The CDC works with bugs much worse than Ebola on a daily basis in Atlanta. There have been a couple of close calls no issues. I vote to bring them back and treat them here.
"Firearms stand next in importance to the constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence … from the hour the Pilgrims landed to the present day, events, occurences and tendencies prove that to ensure peace security and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable … the very atmosphere of firearms anywhere restrains evil interference — they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."
George Washington
First President of the United States
actionshooter10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 13:15   #15
Deputydave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turn4811 View Post
No, don't really trust the government.

But, this isn't the first time ebola has been to this country. Most just don't know about the other times. At any rate, when you see government official heading for the underground bunkers it's time to worry, until then it's all groovy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Deputydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 15:26   #16
Wil Ufgood
CLM Number 263
GTDS #88

Survival/Preparedness Forum
Old 08-02-2014, 16:45   #17
Aceman

So, if you are here and get a nasty bug, should we eject you? Not really in everyone's best interest for you to remain here….

Or is that different? Your rights change depending on where you are at the time?
Old 08-02-2014, 17:08   #18
barbedwiresmile
Unreconstructed

Anyone who thinks the CDC is "trained" and prepared to deal with such a virus hasn't been paying attention to recent events over at the CDC. But belief in wizards runs high.

Por La Raza todo, Fuera de La Raza nada
barbedwiresmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 17:59   #19
barbedwiresmile
Unreconstructed

Ebola tidbit

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ebola_virus_disease

EVD is not naturally transmitted by aerosol. They are, however, highly infectious as breathable 0.8–1.2 micrometre droplets in laboratory conditions;[17]*because of this potential route of infection, these viruses have been classified as Category A biological weapons.[18]*Recently the virus has been shown to travel without contact from pigs to primates.[19]*While the method of transmission is not determined, it is believed to travel short distance through the air in large droplets that are absorbed through the airways effectively making it an airborne virus.[20]

Por La Raza todo, Fuera de La Raza nada
barbedwiresmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 18:09   #20
F350

As said the virus spreads through body fluids but "don't worry he is isolated", all well and good but I have a few questions...

How is his urine and feces going to be destroyed?
How are his bed sheets going to be processed?
How are the other medical wastes going to be processed, needles, syringes, blood sample vials, extra blood from blood tests, blood after tests, vomit, bloody bandages, eating utensils and plates........ AND if he does die, how is his body going to be handled?

As barbedwiresmile says, recent revelations of CDC do not comfort me. One slip at one phase and......
F350 is offline   Reply With Quote