SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-07-2015, 07:14   #1
Eric2340
Infidel :)

Watch advice

Ok all you watch junkies/whores it's new watch time again and I need some advice/opinions!

Here's the deal -

I have plenty of day to day beaters (G-shock junkie myself) and a couple of so-so casual divers, nothing really nice, but just some cheap, reliable divers that are nothing special.

What I'd REALLY like is something nice to go out to dinner w/ the old lady and special events, but nothing crazy as my budget will not allow it.

Where I'd LOVE to be, but it's just not in the cards at $8000 -

Rolex Submariner

The Okie Corral

Not going to happen at this point in my life, but I LOVE the look and it would be nice one day, but I don't realistically see it happening. Not to mention I'd be afraid to wear an $8K watch for fear of scratching it, much less even a used one knowing what they go for.

Here's what's more realistic and what I am considering at this point, but not hung up on anything for sure yet -

Sekio "Sumo"

The Okie Corral

Not everything I really want and I really DON'T necessarily want an automatic either. I recently tried a Sekio SKX007 that came HIGHLY recommended by many and all, only to get it home and discover it was too small for my 8" wrist and large hands w/ long fingers, and I did not like it's style. : (

The "Sumo" is a bit larger, but nothing crazy like some of the "wall clocks" you see a lot of the younger people running around with on their wrists. Not a fan of the bezel insert either, but I understand it can be changed.

A definite possibility, but my previous 007 experience holds me back as it's not that much bigger and still pretty close in style, plus again I'm not crazy about an auto either as I won't wear this every day and only for special stuff.

Victorinox Maverick

The Okie Corral

A LOT closer to what I am after and more of a "Submariner" style. I'm not a fan of where the date indicator is or the use of the numerals in place of illuminated markers like on the Sub and other divers, but a lot closer to the traditional look of the Sub (which I am NOT hung up on, but do kind of like).

The number indicators are silver/reflective and NOT white like the markers on a regular diver. Not hard to see dead on, but if not looking at the watch head on you can't see them either. Not a problem for reading the watch, as you'd have to look at it to see the time : ), but not the best visually either depending on the "look" you are going after either.

Deep Blue Sea Ram 500

The Okie Corral

This one is quartz/battery powered which I like and BIG and bulky from what I understand. I'm NOT a fan of the case's shape/design and it does have more of a "tool" watch design than something you'd wear to a nicer event or dinner. Great dive watch I'm sure, but again, more of a "tool" look than I'm after I think.

So that's where I'm at for now, I'm currently running an el-cheapo Casio diver I've been sliding by with now for a while, but it LOOKS like a $50 watch, and you CAN tell it too.

The Okie Corral

Runs great and is reliable, from a distance it looks great, but once you get up on it you can tell what it is. Kind of like that girl at the other end of the bar until you walk over and get a good look at her.

Again I am open to ANY and all suggestions at this point. Budget is in the $400 or so range but not much more than that. I DO realize what kind of watch that is going to get me, but I don't have and also DON'T want to spend $1000 on a watch I'm not going to wear a lot at this point in my life.

I DO prefer the stainless case and band/black face and bezel style, but I am not hung up on it either. No blues or golds, or mixes of gold and sliver or stainless. Not a fan of chronos either vs the traditional diver style. Still prefer a quartz movement to an auto or mechanical, but not hung up on it either. Something in the 42-43mm size too, but nothing crazy like over 45mm or so.

NOT a fan of Invictas - have one that was gifted to me, does not look that much better than the el-cheapo I am running now. Plus I see them everywhere and they just scream Submariner knock off to me. If I wanted to wear a fake Rolex I would, and I'm not going to try and pull off something anyone who knows me knows I could never swing, plus I hate fakes.

Thanks!

Eric
Old 03-07-2015, 07:23   #2
buster55
CLM Number 9

The Seiko looks best to me.
I have always had good luck with them.
Old 03-07-2015, 08:08   #3
Batesmotel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric2340 View Post
The Okie Corral
My daily wear for 30+ years including my time in the Marine Corps infantry. Sub with no date. I love the clean look. No regrets.

It gets beat and I have had the crystal polished several times and replaced once when I had the entire watch rebuilt.

Shop used, keep your eyes open and take your time. You never know when you will be in the right place at the right time and find someone desperate to raise cash fast.

Until then I like the Seiko also.

Last edited by Batesmotel; 03-07-2015 at 08:10..
Batesmotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 08:32   #4
Flincher

Watches

Here's another nice one. Been wearing it for nearly 20 years

The Okie Corral
Flincher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 08:51   #5
Eric2340

Quote:
Originally Posted by buster55 View Post
The Seiko looks best to me.
I have always had good luck with them.
Size wise I'm not to worried about the Sumo, my biggest concern with it is I could not read the face of the 007 w/o my glasses on - the size of the indicators and the hands all blurred together if I did not have them on :(

The Sumo appears to be very similar in appearance face wise, but it looks like the indicators are a little further spaced apart making it a little easier to read (I hope).

This is a 007 (L) w/ the Sumo (R)

The Okie Corral

The Sumo is a Japanese market watch only, so I can not easily go and put hands on one to see if I like it first or not. :(

I can order a Sumo but I am not sure the hassle that will be involved in returning it should I not care for it? :(

Old 03-07-2015, 08:55   #6
Eric2340

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batesmotel View Post
My daily wear for 30+ years including my time in the Marine Corps infantry. Sub with no date. I love the clean look. No regrets.

It gets beat and I have had the crystal polished several times and replaced once when I had the entire watch rebuilt.

Shop used, keep your eyes open and take your time. You never know when you will be in the right place at the right time and find someone desperate to raise cash fast.

Until then I like the Seiko also.
The Okie Corral

As much as I love the Sub, I seriously doubt I'd ever find one even used in a price range that would be reasonable for me. My other issue is the Sub is only a 40mm case, and it would look like hell on my larger wrist and hands. :(

Think Rolex makes a larger model that is similar in appearance (the "Sea Sea-Dweller "?) but $$ is still a factor and I am sure it would be even harder to find used than the Submariner. :(

Love the look though, beautiful like a fine 1911.

Last edited by Eric2340; 03-07-2015 at 08:56..
Eric2340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 08:57   #7
Joshhtn
The eBay Guy

I'm a Seiko fan... They work well, look great, and are reasonably priced.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Joshhtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 10:29   #8
devildog2067

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batesmotel View Post
If you've had yours for 30 years, you have a 14060 Submariner -- the one pictured is the 114060 ceramic no-date. It's a slightly bigger, more expensive and flashier watch.
devildog2067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 10:31   #9
devildog2067

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric2340 View Post
Victorinox Maverick

The Okie Corral

A LOT closer to what I am after and more of a "Submariner" style. I'm not a fan of where the date indicator is or the use of the numerals in place of illuminated markers like on the Sub and other divers, but a lot closer to the traditional look of the Sub (which I am NOT hung up on, but do kind of like).
If this is close to what you are looking for, why not buy one and mod it? The Maverick uses a Ronda 715; there are literally hundreds of dial and hand combinations you could swap in. A lot of the Luminox watches use the Ronda movement as well so you could even swap it to be tritium if you wanted to.
devildog2067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 10:39   #10
erick73

Have you considered something from Oris?
They have some beautiful watches.
erick73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 11:05   #11
Sfaql

I love my skx007 , there are a couple guys who customize them . Mine has Omega sword hands, changed out dial and basil. Cost was $200 including the new watch . I try to find contact info later on.

As for Rolex I highly recommend joining the Rolex forums! I lurked for over a year learned prices and watches then bought preowned from a trusted seller on there. Saved 30% the cost of new On a year and a half old one , that looked unworn. They have guys there with 100%s of references and prices you can't touch for pre owned anywhere.
Sfaql is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 11:09   #12
Water-Man

http://www.sinn.de/en/Modell/UX.htm

Try this one on for size.
Old 03-07-2015, 11:11   #13
Eric2340

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog2067 View Post
If this is close to what you are looking for, why not buy one and mod it? The Maverick uses a Ronda 715; there are literally hundreds of dial and hand combinations you could swap in. A lot of the Luminox watches use the Ronda movement as well so you could even swap it to be tritium if you wanted to.
A mod was my initial plan w/ the 007 - it being one of the most modified watches out there with more options than most others - almost the small block Chevy of watches if you will - and to put a Sub style bezel on it. It was once it got here and I found how small it was I was very disappointed. :( This was my actual 007 I bought a Oyster style bracelet for before I sold it privately last week -

The Okie Corral

Again, beautiful watch, I REALLY wanted to like it, but it was just to small and the face just did not "do it" for me once I it got here and I actually saw it. :(

I actually like the style of the Victorinox more, I want to go look one in hand to see how the light hits the numbers on the dial. It is MUCH closer to what I am after than anything else.
AND it's a quartz movement.

The Okie Corral

I HATE what they call the "Nascar" font on the Sumo's bezel - THAT I would change even to the 007 style bezel if I had to, but I'd still prefer a more "Sub" style bezel on it if possible -

The Okie Corral

Again, I am NOT stuck on any of these at this point and I am in no rush to do this. After the disappointment of the 007 after all it was hyped to be, I REALLY want to love whatever I get before I buy it.

I literally have time on my side - no pun intended. LOL

Thanks -
Old 03-07-2015, 11:19   #14
Eric2340

You can see how the 007 style bezel alone makes the Sumo look so much better in this picture -

The Okie Corral

Here's another -

The Okie Corral

But again, I'm not complete hung up on the Sumo yet. She's also an auto and I still like the "style" of the Victorinox better for what I want this watch for too..................

Again, I'm still open to any and all options and it does NOT have to be a Sub look a like either at this point.

Thanks -
Old 03-07-2015, 11:24   #15
Eric2340

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water-Man View Post
http://www.sinn.de/en/Modell/UX.htm

Try this one on for size.

That Sinn reminds me of the Sekio Monster.

Thanks, not for me though - not fan of the bezel or the line indicators on the face. I prefer the dot indicator style like on the Sub or the Sumo, and would rather have the numerals on the Victorinox over the line style like on the Sinn or Monster.

Thanks though, appreciate the suggestion.
Old 03-07-2015, 11:57   #16
G29Reload
Tread Lightly

Breitling.com

Rolex level quality at half the price.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
G29Reload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 13:40   #17
Pythonman

Quote:
Originally Posted by G29Reload View Post
Breitling.com

Rolex level quality at half the price.
Uhhm, nice watches but not Rolex level quality nor anywhere near resale value. But nice though..

OP, those almost sorta look like Rolex watches are going to do the trick, and I mean trick for maybe a month at best and then you're gonna want that Rolex worse than ever. Been there and done that many times. Waited 20yrs to get my Rolex Sub and they are durable as all heck and take everyday bumps and scrapes as well as serious knocks and the occasional drop on tiled cement floors, without scratches or any sign of trauma extremely well. If you ever get one, the best single piece of advice (and this applies to any high end autowind or manual wind mechanical watch) is to only ever set the hands in the direction they normally travel when the watch is running, never in reverse as you can cog the gears and end up with an expensive watch that doesn't keep time well. I've been wearing and Omega SMP Bond mechanical for 11yrs to work in a steel mill every day and it keeps perfect time. My Rolex is 7yrs old and it runs like a champ and hasn't even been serviced yet. BTW, the SINN watch is a heck of a nice timepiece and tool watch (as is the Sub) and would be a proud piece in any high end collection. Including mine if I ever get one.

NRA Member
Big Dawg #1364
G19 G26 G30 G21 All Gen 3!
Pythonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 14:07   #18
Eric2340

Well I just went and got a good look at the Victorinox Maverick. LOVE the watch and it's case, like the face, HATE those reflective numerals. :( Even for a $350 watch, I'd be aggravated with them the first time I tried to look at it in dim light. :( I deliberately wore a black shirt also and when I put it on and looked at it on my wrist I actually had to reposition my wrist to see the numerals.

For something I want to be my "nicer" watch, I don't want to deal with that. :(

The Okie Corral

Back to the drawing board................

Last edited by Eric2340; 03-07-2015 at 14:08..
Eric2340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 14:13   #19
Eric2340

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pythonman View Post
Uhhm, nice watches but not Rolex level quality nor anywhere near resale value. But nice though..

OP, those almost sorta look like Rolex watches are going to do the trick, and I mean trick for maybe a month at best and then you're gonna want that Rolex worse than ever. Been there and done that many times. Waited 20yrs to get my Rolex Sub and they are durable as all heck and take everyday bumps and scrapes as well as serious knocks and the occasional drop on tiled cement floors, without scratches or any sign of trauma extremely well. If you ever get one, the best single piece of advice (and this applies to any high end autowind or manual wind mechanical watch) is to only ever set the hands in the direction they normally travel when the watch is running, never in reverse as you can cog the gears and end up with an expensive watch that doesn't keep time well. I've been wearing and Omega SMP Bond mechanical for 11yrs to work in a steel mill every day and it keeps perfect time. My Rolex is 7yrs old and it runs like a champ and hasn't even been serviced yet. BTW, the SINN watch is a heck of a nice timepiece and tool watch (as is the Sub) and would be a proud piece in any high end collection. Including mine if I ever get one.

I hear ya on the Rolex, but it's just not in the cards right now. I might have to do the 20 year thing to wait to get one at this point. LOL

Again, even a used one, let's just say for half the price at $4K is more than I want to spend on a watch. I'm not a real "jewelry" kind of guy and spending that much on a watch for myself seems ridiculous at this point in my life.

I'm sure I can find something I can be happy with in the price range I'm looking at ($400-500). Again, it does NOT have to be a Sub look a like or homage, just something nicer I can live with.

Thanks -
Old 03-07-2015, 14:26   #20
Deanster
CLM Number 250
Cheese?

Ok, interesting problem you've posed. I weighed in on your Deep Blue thread.

Rolex is right out, as they only have one model over 40mm, and it's the 44mm $12K Deepsea, which also happens (IMHO) to be fug ugly. I'd love a 42mm version of the new Seadweller 4000, but I could be waiting a long long time.

I have similar challenges in watch selection, with 8" wrists and big (though not especially long) hands. The Omega 'Bond' watch is the absolute smallest I can wear without it looking silly at 41.5mm, and 11mm thick.

The 007 is 42mm across the bezel, and 13mm thick, so if that's too small, those are the measurements to beat. Sorry it didn't work out for you, the good news is you should be able to sell it for about what you paid.

You might like a Seiko SPORK at 44mm if you can find one... they're discontinued and VERY popular, so can be hard to find at a reasonable price on the secondary market.

The Okie Corral

Sinn UX has already been mentioned, also 44mm.

If you want large and dots, there's always any of the Seiko 'Tuna' variations - 48mm, and huge dots.

Should be find-able in your price range pre-owned and minty condition.

Breitling Superocean Steelfish has dots and arabic numerals at 44mm.
The Okie Corral

In any case, there's a million options out there, though if you're only looking at 'dot' hour indicators, that both reduces your search area tremendously, and probably pushes you more towards Seiko, as they have more 'dot' watches than anyone.

Here's a search showing a pretty good swath of options... http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...ro%2Caps%2C339

Your behavior angers God and/or the Constitution. Just sayin'.

I only seem liberal because I believe hurricanes are caused by low barometric pressure, and not gay marriage.

Last edited by Deanster; 03-07-2015 at 14:31..
Deanster is online now   Reply With Quote