Home Forums Classifieds GT Store Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-06-2015, 17:48   #1
joereynaldo

Fall of bataan

While I was preparing my weekly schedule, I noticed that the anniversary of the fall of Bataan was nearing.

Come April 9, Filipinos will observe the fall of Bataan---conquered by the Imperial Japanese Army 73 years ago; Corregidor fell the following month.

After the fall, the Japanese organized the transfer of American POWS from Bataan to Capas, Tarlac which was some 80 kilometers away. The 11,000 American and 60,000 Filipino soldiers were forced to walk under the tropical broiling sun for days where many died of wounds, thirst, weakness and disease. This was the Bataan Death March but it was only after the war that it became widely known.

I recall that a yearly walk is being done in New Mexico to commemorate some of the defenders who came from that state, mostly from a coastal artillery unit.

Reading that history, I recall being astonished that the 70,000-plus defenders were overwhelmed by the comparatively small numbers of Japanese invaders. The so-called 'valiant' stand was made only because we---I mean Americans and Filipino USAFFE forces under Gen. MacArthur---were woefully unprepared....
joereynaldo is offline   Reply With Quote