SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-10-2014, 11:26   #1
BlackLizrd

Front rail wear/damage on Glock

Hi all,
I've got a brand new G17 that I've put 200 rounds through. As can be seen in the pic, there seems to be some excessive wear to the front rails. It looks like a thin layer of silver colored metal has been scraped off of each rail, and a copper colored metal underneath is visible.
I dry fire it a lot, more than actual firing at this point, and I live in an apartment so I need to control the racket that frequent racking of the slide makes. In so doing I pull the slide back only just enough to reset the trigger, which often does not provide enough spring tension in the guide rod spring to push the slide back fully into battery. I often need to give the slide a slight tap to get it to fully seat. When this happens there's an audible ping sound that comes from under the slide near the front rail area which leads me to believe this is the source of the contact between the rail and slide that's causing the problem, but I can't tell whether it also happens during regular firing.
I have replaced the stock guide rod/spring assembly with a SS rod with a factory weight spring.
Has anyone seen or experienced this problem? Should I be concerned about the damage, or is it normal wear? Any solutions?
Thanks,
Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Gunsmithing - Click for larger version  

Last edited by BlackLizrd; 06-10-2014 at 12:49.. Reason: typos
BlackLizrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 16:58   #2
cciman

This might be self limited to the extent that you see-- parts are now fitting correctly. Or it will get worse over time. Nickel plating is coming off-- could have been high spots on the rail.

Unusual, yes for so few rounds- you must dry fire ALOT.

My personal opinion, put a dab of high quality grease on each rail (industrial, automotive variety, not gun variety), and watch it over time. Grease, not oil. I would use a Moly based grease myself.

If, when, it gets worse, ship it back to Glock. They will replace your frame, and give you a new frame, but your SN# will no longer match.
cciman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 17:14   #3
SJ 40

Every Glock I own has done that and use it enough and the copper will disappear, Normal. SJ 40
SJ 40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 18:41   #4
BlackLizrd

cciman: I'm working on getting the trigger as smooth as possible - it's coming along pretty nicely. I'm not sure what a lot is, really. I have no standard by which to compare, but it's probably more than some and less than others <grin>. Thanks for the reply and advice.

SJ 40: I don't understand your reply, would you please clarify? The one part I do get is "Normal" so that's some relief, but I don't get what you mean by the copper disappearing. I'm assuming you mean the copper color under the nickle plating will darken... but I don't know. Thank you for the reply.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:55   #5
voyager4520
-----

It is normal, the frame rails are steel that is copper coated and nickel plated. The copper coating helps the nickel adhere, but only relatively loosely. The nickel plating will disappear and even flake off as you put more rounds through the gun, and the copper undercoat will eventually wear away to reveal bare steel. Really the only reason Glock uses the nickel plating on the rails is that a surprising number of people buy a gun and maybe put a magazine through it, then put it away for years without cleaning or oiling it. Older Glocks had bare steel frame rails.

Glock's nickel plating process for the frame rails is pretty inconsistent, it's done pretty well on some but with most the nickel will flake and peel away in splotches. Though the quality of that process doesn't matter because the nickel plating is meant to be worn off anyway.

Last edited by voyager4520; 06-11-2014 at 08:59..
voyager4520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 14:09   #6
BlackLizrd

OK, I get it now. I suppose the copper/nickel plating on the rest of the locking block will remain and be beneficial throughout the life of the pistol.

I'm still not sure why my G17 is the only one of my auto-loaders to not seat the slide completely under less than full spring power (I mean from only partially pulling back the slide to reset the trigger.) The ping sound I get when tapping it home is that high ringing steel tone with sustain like a bell (kind of.) I'll give it some more time and see what develops.

Thank you for the reply! Good stuff. I'm glad a forum like this exists for us.
Old 06-11-2014, 20:31   #7
cciman

Astute observation without relevance. In actual operation, the slide does not just travel 1/4". Nor will you notice the high ping noise when shooting the gun. It always amazes me how owners look for the boogie man under the bed on Glocks.

Comparing Apples to shoes....I'm sure if you looked with a magnifying glass on your other auto loaders, you can find "funny" characteristics and features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLizrd View Post
I'm still not sure why my G17 is the only one of my auto-loaders to not seat the slide completely under less than full spring power (I mean from only partially pulling back the slide to reset the trigger.) The ping sound I get when tapping it home is that high ringing steel tone with sustain like a bell (kind of.) I'll give it some more time and see what develops.

Thank you for the reply! Good stuff. I'm glad a forum like this exists for us.

Last edited by cciman; 06-11-2014 at 20:32..
cciman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 21:33   #8
4Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLizrd View Post
...I dry fire it a lot, more than actual firing at this point, and I live in an apartment so I need to control the racket that frequent racking of the slide makes. In so doing I pull the slide back only just enough to reset the trigger, which often does not provide enough spring tension in the guide rod spring to push the slide back fully into battery. I often need to give the slide a slight tap to get it to fully seat...
4Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 21:36   #9
4Rules

4Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 02:01   #10
BlackLizrd

Pointless...

cciman: are you high? What was the point of that reply? It wasn't helpful, it was flippant, condescending and just plain goofy.
Old 06-12-2014, 02:33   #11
BlackLizrd

4Rules: I'm not training for battle, but...

Thanks, I see your point about developing bad habits. On the upside, I'm developing a nice, steady trigger press with minimal front sight movement on the break and the break itself seems to be getting smoother. I learned from training with Scott Reitz a way to rack the slide that I always use when I'm actually shooting; I never ride the slide when I don't need to be conscientious of my neighbors.

Thanks for the vids, I appreciate it.

Tags
damage, front, glock, rail, wear