Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-23-2014, 12:55   #21
Roger1079

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmonastery View Post
Hey guys-

I'm going to go out on a limb here and show my ignorance, but I need an answer haha.

I'm new to guns, and I recently bought a glock 19. As I'm sure many of you know, the gun has some orange-brown, rusty-looking lubrication on it that they must put on in the factory.

So my question is to you guys/gals: do you wipe that off and oil it yourselves before shooting it for the first time? Also, if you don't mind expounding on how you clean it in general when you get a brand new gun? I've just heard some horror stories of a guy who messed up his slide by firing it straight out of the box, and I don't want to repeat his mistake. Thanks for your time.

OM
Every Glock I have ever owned was taken right out of the box after purchase and had at least 100 rounds run through it. I have never had an issue. The copper colored anti seize is more than enough lubrication for the pistol to be fired immediately. Just make sure the barrel is clear of any obstruction and have fun.

Last edited by Roger1079; 06-23-2014 at 12:57..
Roger1079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 13:03   #22
Roger1079

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA1911 View Post
Okay imma go out on a limb and go over how I... clean glocks. Ims sure its mostly wrong. The barrel. I take me clean shiny new bore bruch and dunk it like a donut into a jar of hoppes No. 9 and t
Scrub tbar barrel clean and dry it out wit patches... nice and clean. I then proceed to dampen a rag in rubbin alcohol and wipe the whole thing down I might do some scrubbin with a toothbrush maybe but prob not mainly under the extractor claw. Then I wipe everything dry. Nice and dry. Now for the CLP I use the synthetic variety much much better then petroleum CRAP which tends to burn makin a big fat mess. And I just apply to a rag and wipe down the slide and the we little metal parts and the barrel of course just a light coat of oil on the metal as an extra layer of protection. I use slip2000 LOVE IT. O now its time to LUBE I use a synthetic grease slip2000 grease. I know I know. Yes its magic stuff really. Grease I put a touch along the top of the barrel and arounf the outside the chamber wbere it contacys the slide if only to prevent wear. A touch on the slot of the lug where it rides on the locking block. I put a touch on each of the four slide rails. Done. Its easy to over do cleaning a glock. I get lazy and just clean the barrel and lube the rails. I actually know guys who wipe down the polymer with oil. WhAT yes believe it
This made my head hurt. Talk about an abortion of the English language.
Old 06-23-2014, 17:25   #23
fran m

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmonastery View Post
Hey guys-

I'm going to go out on a limb here and show my ignorance, but I need an answer haha.

I'm new to guns, and I recently bought a glock 19. As I'm sure many of you know, the gun has some orange-brown, rusty-looking lubrication on it that they must put on in the factory.

So my question is to you guys/gals: do you wipe that off and oil it yourselves before shooting it for the first time? Also, if you don't mind expounding on how you clean it in general when you get a brand new gun? I've just heard some horror stories of a guy who messed up his slide by firing it straight out of the box, and I don't want to repeat his mistake. Thanks for your time.

OM

Oh, please enlighten us with the horror stories of the messed up slides that occurred when the guns were fired straight out of the box. Inquiring minds need to know.
fran m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 12:46   #24
Boot Stomper

This was covered along time ago on Glock Talk. The BEST way clean a Glock is put it in the dishwasher. Your welcome.

This was a Joke. In case you are wondering....
Boot Stomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 17:16   #25
bustedknee
Curmudgeon

My gun dealer, DB Coop of Cooper Guns, showed me a bucket of brake cleaner that he keeps under the workbench in his shop.
He cleans Glocks by dunking them. It it not necessary to take them apart. (He says this only causes more problems)
He then locks the slide back and dribbles a few drops of Mobile 1 motor oil into the gun.

Not once has a Glock ever been returned to his shop with a problem after he cleaned and oiled it.

DB is quite proud of the maintenance skills that he learned in the jungles of Korea when he was an Army Seal.

Old 06-24-2014, 17:20   #26
barth
six barrels

Hickok45 on cleaning a Glock.

Last edited by barth; 06-24-2014 at 17:24..
barth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 17:30   #27
AZ Husker

Your machinery will only take as good of care of you that you do it. The manual tells you a LITTLE, but there are tons of videos out there that you can stop and start when you're ready. Hickocks are some of the best. Do not open one sponsored by some magic gun cleaner. It's a sales pitch. There is probably no gun (and I used to say the same about a 1911) easier to completely strip. No better way to clean and lube it naked.
Old 06-24-2014, 23:41   #28
EA1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustedknee View Post
My gun dealer, DB Coop of Cooper Guns, showed me a bucket of brake cleaner that he keeps under the workbench in his shop.
He cleans Glocks by dunking them. It it not necessary to take them apart. (He says this only causes more problems)
He then locks the slide back and dribbles a few drops of Mobile 1 motor oil into the gun.

Not once has a Glock ever been returned to his shop with a problem after he cleaned and oiled it.

DB is quite proud of the maintenance skills that he learned in the jungles of Korea when he was an Army Seal.

... ... ...
EA1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 03:27   #29
DWARREN123
Grumpy Old Guy

Read the manual and follow it. Lube very lightly where the manual states.
Old 06-25-2014, 05:50   #30
Roger1079

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWARREN123 View Post
Read the manual and follow it. Lube very lightly where the manual states.
The manual is very vague about where to place the oil. There are many methods for cleaning Glocks and no specific one is better than the other. With Glocks, less is more. They do not need more than a total of 4 drops, ever. I have put my carry G19 through its paces as well where I cleaned it dry of ALL lubricant and ran 300 trouble free rounds through it. After disassembly and cleaning there was no damage done.

My supplies for cleaning are:

Mil-Comm MC25 (I like this cleaner as it has no lubricant in it and it water soluble. It is more of a mild degreaser and detergent than anything. Choice of cleaner is subjective and there really is no wrong choice.)

Royal Purple Synfilm (I like the weight of this lubricant and that it does not get absorbed into the porous metal as quickly as some others. Again, this choice is subjective and there really is no wrong product to use.)

A boresnake in whatever caliber the pistol is. (Patches and a cleaning rod will do just fine, but I prefer items I do not have to dispose of.)

A toothbrush, rag, and a couple q-tips.

My routine for cleaning is:

Field strip the pistol and spray everything down with Mil-Comm MC25. Use the toothbrush to scrub everything and then the rag to wipe everything dry.

Use one of the q-tips to get the cleaner out of all the places too small for the rag to get (around the trigger bar, inside the striker channel by the lug, and around the barrel lug).

Run the boresnake down the barrel a couple times.

Get a bit of oil on your finger and coat the outside of the barrel and inside the slide where the hood of the barrel contacts it. (After a box or so of ammo, this area should be apparent as there will be visible marks where this contact is made) Apply a small drop inside the barrel lug and allow it to spread out. At this point, I use what is still on the tip of the oil bottle and wipe it across the 4 metal slide rails on the frame. (This ends up being plenty of lubricant even though it doesn't sound like much) Apply a small drop to the area at the back of the frame where the trigger bar contacts the connector.

Reassemble the pistol and function check. Rack the slide a few times and wipe of any excess oil or detergent you missed.

This has worked for me for years with no issue and uses enough lubricant to slow wear while not making a mess when firing. This is not the right or wrong way, just what works for me. You will get different answers from everyone as far as what to use and how to use it. This happens to work for me. Find what works for you.

Tags
℗ cleaning, glock