SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-04-2014, 19:57   #1
oldmonastery

New Glock...how to clean?

Hey guys-

I'm going to go out on a limb here and show my ignorance, but I need an answer haha.

I'm new to guns, and I recently bought a glock 19. As I'm sure many of you know, the gun has some orange-brown, rusty-looking lubrication on it that they must put on in the factory.

So my question is to you guys/gals: do you wipe that off and oil it yourselves before shooting it for the first time? Also, if you don't mind expounding on how you clean it in general when you get a brand new gun? I've just heard some horror stories of a guy who messed up his slide by firing it straight out of the box, and I don't want to repeat his mistake. Thanks for your time.

OM

Last edited by oldmonastery; 06-04-2014 at 19:58..
oldmonastery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 20:05   #2
1-2man
Part Time

Most recent discussion. Take from it what you will...

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show....php?t=1530910
1-2man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 21:17   #3
oldmonastery

Thank you, sir.
Old 06-04-2014, 22:18   #4
tinman517

Clean the barrel and start cycling ammo through it.
tinman517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 23:31   #5
misunderestimated

Good Luck with your new Glock, they are pretty indestructible, Shoot the heck out of it and enjoy.

If you are new to guns see if you can find a friend or maybe even the gun store whom you purchased it from to show you how to clean the gun properly. Up until this year (I had a knee replacement) I regularly compete allot with a couple of Glock. we normally go the entire season with out cleaning my Glocks. We have a gun cleaning party and do them all at once.

One of the benefits of a Glock is they need very little attention

Last edited by misunderestimated; 06-04-2014 at 23:31..
misunderestimated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 23:45   #6
Rustyinfla

Run a patch thru the bore to remove any excess oil and shoot as is.
Old 06-04-2014, 23:57   #7
xmanhockey7

Best video I've seen.

Old 06-06-2014, 19:40   #8
oldmonastery

Thanks everyone. Lol at that vid xmanhockey7
Old 06-06-2014, 19:48   #9
Randyp1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmonastery View Post
Thanks everyone. Lol at that vid xmanhockey7
I'd certainly go to YouTube and search "how to clean your Glock" for more information. As entertaining as that video was, it disagrees with several others. Darn sexy, though
Randyp1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 19:52   #10
Bruce M

Enjoy your new G19. I believe the manual indicates that before shooting the gun should be cleaned but to leave the orange colored lubricant in place and to lube the pistol in the spots shown in the manual.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 19:57   #11
Gtn

http://www.homedefensegun.net/clean-glock/
Gtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 20:33   #12
G36_Me

Detail strip the gun. Don't go further.

Check to be sure there is no barrel obstruction. Run a patch or two through it.

Leave on the grease from the factory. Let it wear off. (Per the factory.)
You can still lube per instructions.

Now, this is for a Glock. If u obtain a different mfg's firearm, ask again.
Glock Professional Instructor
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
G36_Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 21:38   #13
Southpaw69

My first Glock(a 19 about 15 years ago) I field stripped it and cleaned it all up and lubed it, still haven't any problems after many thousands of rounds.

My latest( a 26 couple years ago) I left it alone for 300 rounds or so then cleaned it up and lubed it, no problems after many hundreds of rounds.

I don't think it matters at all, do what you will!
Southpaw69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 23:55   #14
EA1911

Okay imma go out on a limb and go over how I... clean glocks. Ims sure its mostly wrong. The barrel. I take me clean shiny new bore bruch and dunk it like a donut into a jar of hoppes No. 9 and t
Scrub tbar barrel clean and dry it out wit patches... nice and clean. I then proceed to dampen a rag in rubbin alcohol and wipe the whole thing down I might do some scrubbin with a toothbrush maybe but prob not mainly under the extractor claw. Then I wipe everything dry. Nice and dry. Now for the CLP I use the synthetic variety much much better then petroleum CRAP which tends to burn makin a big fat mess. And I just apply to a rag and wipe down the slide and the we little metal parts and the barrel of course just a light coat of oil on the metal as an extra layer of protection. I use slip2000 LOVE IT. O now its time to LUBE I use a synthetic grease slip2000 grease. I know I know. Yes its magic stuff really. Grease I put a touch along the top of the barrel and arounf the outside the chamber wbere it contacys the slide if only to prevent wear. A touch on the slot of the lug where it rides on the locking block. I put a touch on each of the four slide rails. Done. Its easy to over do cleaning a glock. I get lazy and just clean the barrel and lube the rails. I actually know guys who wipe down the polymer with oil. WhAT yes believe it
EA1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 06:33   #15
Shiloh228

Quote:
Originally Posted by G36_Me View Post

Are you seriously suggesting a detail strip before shooting a new Glock? Is that really necessary?

I would suggest a field strip and a quick barrel swab...then shoot it!

Last edited by Shiloh228; 06-07-2014 at 06:34..
Shiloh228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 07:28   #16
Chowser

holy tl;dr ea!

I've been carrying a Glock since 1998. Through rain, snow, mud, etc. Basic cleaning and lubing will keep your Glock running.

First thing to do is RTFM.

I have officers that only clean their gun once a year, after qualifications. They shoot monthly and it still works. I pretty much clean my duty gun after each range session, so my gun is cleaned weekly.

My old 1998 gen 2 Glock 19 gets a few drops of oil monthly while I just keep shooting it until it stops working. It's my beater gun. It sleeps under a couch cushion. I want to see how much dirty Ultramax ammo it can eat before malfunctioning. On year 4 now...
Chowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 18:58   #17
fran m

Glad you got the rear sight situation straightened out.

Do whatever you want to clean it. Patches, brushes, solvent in the barrel. They do not have to be spotlessly clean for sure.

It will shoot fine for hundreds of rounds with no cleaning at all. One thing. Make sure to keep the firing pin channel dry and the extractor clean. These will make your gun malfunction.

Also, do not drop a round in the chamber and close the slide over it. You will chip or wear the extractor and make it a one shot gun.
fran m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:06   #18
M&P15T
Beard One

Quote:
Originally Posted by G36_Me View Post

Detail strip? Wat?

LOOOOOOOOOL!!!!!

No.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:09   #19
M&P15T
Beard One

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA1911 View Post
Okay imma go out on a limb and go over how I... clean glocks. Ims sure its mostly wrong. The barrel. I take me clean shiny new bore bruch and dunk it like a donut into a jar of hoppes No. 9 and t
Scrub tbar barrel clean and dry it out wit patches... nice and clean. I then proceed to dampen a rag in rubbin alcohol and wipe the whole thing down I might do some scrubbin with a toothbrush maybe but prob not mainly under the extractor claw. Then I wipe everything dry. Nice and dry. Now for the CLP I use the synthetic variety much much better then petroleum CRAP which tends to burn makin a big fat mess. And I just apply to a rag and wipe down the slide and the we little metal parts and the barrel of course just a light coat of oil on the metal as an extra layer of protection. I use slip2000 LOVE IT. O now its time to LUBE I use a synthetic grease slip2000 grease. I know I know. Yes its magic stuff really. Grease I put a touch along the top of the barrel and arounf the outside the chamber wbere it contacys the slide if only to prevent wear. A touch on the slot of the lug where it rides on the locking block. I put a touch on each of the four slide rails. Done. Its easy to over do cleaning a glock. I get lazy and just clean the barrel and lube the rails. I actually know guys who wipe down the polymer with oil. WhAT yes believe it
General Glocking
Old 06-23-2014, 11:34   #20
SmithietheFox

IIRC Hickok has a few detailed Glock cleaning vids that cover virtually everything from basic cleaning to in-depth take-down and cleaning.

Always looking for German Weatherby Customs and Stoner 63A parts and accessories.
SmithietheFox is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
℗ cleaning, glock