Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-03-2014, 22:05   #1
Avalon786

Glocking for the first time

Hello All! Hope this is the correct forum for this thread.

Recently purchased a Gen4 G17 FDE and am loving it! Went to my local range the other day and shot off my first 150 rounds. No issues whatsoever.

1) I was wondering if anyone out there used finger-less gloves for shooting? (I tried searching the forum and didn't find much info) Like a workout/gym glove? I ask because I sweat a lot and after an hour of shooting I was feeling like my grip wasn't as good and was constantly having to dry my hands.

2) For the range ammunition to use, is there a recommended grain? I was using 124grain per family member recommendation. However I noticed a lot of others using 115grain. Is there a big difference with grain and glocks?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
General Glocking - Click for larger version  
Avalon786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 22:08   #2
TxGlock9

It's just shooter preference what gr you shoot.
Old 06-03-2014, 22:36   #3
AZ Husker

Gloves can feel good. I wore a set during a 500 round training session. But they do you poorly when it comes to realistic shooting. Your bare hands do not hold the gun the same as with gloves and will throw off your shots.

As far as bullet size I find no difference in practice ammo. Now for carry ammo that's a different story. You will want to research and try out different sizes that fits you and your pistol. Personally I like 125gr Gold Dots in a 9mm.
Old 06-03-2014, 22:46   #4
Glock40man

Congrats on the G17!

Like TxGlock9 said, the bullet weight/load all comes down to personal preference. But, with a Gen 4, I stick with 124 or 147 gr. for the first few hundred rounds.

Last edited by Glock40man; 06-03-2014 at 22:47..
Glock40man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 00:57   #5
fasteddie565
Combat Diver

Learn to shoot with gloves, eventually, but not because shooting makes your hands sore, initially.

125 Grn is a good round for that pistol (or any 9mm). I like to carry 147 grn FMJ flat points or gold dot hollow points.

Last edited by fasteddie565; 06-04-2014 at 00:57..
fasteddie565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 01:00   #6
fasteddie565
Combat Diver

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddie565 View Post
Learn to shoot with gloves, eventually, but not because shooting makes your hands sore, initially.

125 Grn is a good round for that pistol (or any 9mm). I like to carry 147 grn FMJ flat points or gold dot hollow points.

You picked a fine pistol and in some circles the frame color makes it more desirable for resale (If need be). Take a class from a reputable source and learn some drills to maximize your range time.

I recommend any of the Alias Training guys.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:22   #7
Bruce M

I am thinking the best choice in ammunition for you right now may be whatever weight you can get that costs the least of any appropriate ammunition.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 06:47   #8
DJCantonGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon786 View Post

Recently purchased a Gen4 G17 FDE and am loving it! Went to my local range the other day and shot off my first 150 rounds. No issues whatsoever.

1) I was wondering if anyone out there used finger-less gloves for shooting? (I tried searching the forum and didn't find much info) Like a workout/gym glove? I ask because I sweat a lot and after an hour of shooting I was feeling like my grip wasn't as good and was constantly having to dry my hands.

2) For the range ammunition to use, is there a recommended grain? I was using 124grain per family member recommendation. However I noticed a lot of others using 115grain. Is there a big difference with grain and glocks?

Thanks!
Welcome to GT, and congrats on the FDE G17!

1) I have never used gloves, but several of the guys at the range do and they swear by them. I have rubber Talon grips on my polymer framed EDC's, and they give me a nice grip even when my hands are sweaty.

2) For range/practice, it really doesn't matter. I usually buy 115gr, but I have purchased several cases of 124gr from Freedom Munitions this year. My Glocks have fed anything I put through them, even a few boxes of Tula.

For carry, I use 124gr Federal HST's.
John 3:16
Matthew 6:34

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
DJCantonGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 10:35   #9
colin1230

As for ammo, I'm with Bruce. 115g Winchester White Box from WallyWorld is great range ammo. Buy what you can and lots of it.
The gloves, I have a nice pair of shooting gloves I really like, but never wear. For whatever reason they just take up room in my range bag. In your case, do you want a sweaty, stinking pair of gloves in you bag. A hand towel may be the best option.
colin1230 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 17:17   #10
bac1023

and congrats

bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 17:22   #11
HK-N-THE-HOUSE
Silver Membership

Old 06-04-2014, 17:25   #12
aboyle55

Welcome! I see you're from Seattle. Are you sure it wasn't rain instead of sweat?!!!!!
aboyle55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 18:38   #13
glockandgroovin'
Devil Dog

Send a message via Yahoo to glockandgroovin'
I shoot with full finger mechanix gloves,love em.
.40 S&W#60

Kimber is the gun that you show to your friends,Glock is the gun that you show to your enemies.
glockandgroovin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 19:10   #14
Andrew Phelps

Check out Pistol Pro Grip (or any similar product). Sprays on like anti perspirant and adds a white chalky film to your hands. It will keep your hands dry and they stick to the gun better than any gloves or stiple job.
Andrew Phelps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 22:25   #15
Avalon786

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboyle55 View Post
Welcome! I see you're from Seattle. Are you sure it wasn't rain instead of sweat?!!!!!
Hahaha, it's probably because of all this heat we're having, not used to much of that in Seattle

Well I purchased a pair of finger less workout gloves I'll try out next time. Not sure how I'll like shooting with gloves, can't hurt to try.

Might give "Pistol Pro Grip" stuff a shot if I don't like the gloves.

All I really want to do now is get back to the range! Possibly thinking also it was just nerves as it was the first time shooting my new pistol and with more exposure the nerves will calm down.

As far as ammo I got 1000 rounds of Aguila 124 grain full metal jacket for $340 shipped. Figured that is not too bad and it had good reviews. Wally world was fresh out of 9mm but doubt it'd be ~$.31/round.
Old 06-05-2014, 23:31   #16
Southpaw69

Shoot what ammo you can get, if it's decent quality it will work fine.

I like to practice how i would be if I ever needed to use it in a defense situation. Since I don't usually wear gloves around town, I don't wear them at the range.

Congrats on the new pistol, it'll serve you well for a good, long time.
Southpaw69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 00:08   #17
chains1240

Welcome. I shoot 115 grain at the range, just because that is what I can find at Walmart. Shot over 300 rounds out of my new G19 Gen 4 with only 1 round failing to feed properly.
chains1240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 02:27   #18
Avalon786

Quote:
Originally Posted by chains1240 View Post
Welcome. I shoot 115 grain at the range, just because that is what I can find at Walmart. Shot over 300 rounds out of my new G19 Gen 4 with only 1 round failing to feed properly.
I might give some 115g a try. So far have 250 rounds of the 124g with no issues. Just pure pleasure. Fired another 100 rounds today. Tried a buddies XDM and did not like it, the Glock just feels so right!
Old 06-08-2014, 08:16   #19
chase83

I've read a few times that it's a good idea to match up your range ammo to as close as possible to your carry ammo...that's if you are going to be using this pistol in that capacity. I personally shoot 115g blazer brass right now, and carry 124g Speer Gold Dot, but that's because the 115 was on sale and I could get more of it. If you are going to have some carry ammo of some sort, try to also shoot some of that at the range just to get used to that in your gun.
Old 06-08-2014, 19:47   #20
Smithers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon786 View Post

Thanks!
I use 115 for target practice because they're cheaper.

124 Speer Gold Dot +P for defense
Smithers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
glock, glove