Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-28-2014, 09:09   #41
DJCantonGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycletroll View Post
It's the Indian not the bow.
Lol I agree. Reminds me of a funny but true story. Earlier this year, I picked up a 30s in addition to my 26 & 19. The first time out, I was shooting consistently left of center. I went out to the counter to talk to one of the guys (most of them are competitive shooters, and all are very nice & always willing to help out). He looked at the gun, checked out the sights, and politely said "it's not the gun"

I went back into the range with more ammo, targets, and time. I was trying to shoot the 30s like I do the 19. I found out that I had to adjust my grip slightly, along with my trigger finger placement.

Butch, that was great advice on taking a 6 o'clock hold instead of trying to hit the little center dot. Much appreciated!

I have found that no matter how long or how much I shoot, I am always learning.
John 3:16
Matthew 6:34

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by DJCantonGA; 05-28-2014 at 09:09..
DJCantonGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 09:14   #42
GunQuest
NRA Member

Next time you go to the range start grouping at 7 yards,,,see how the gun shoots then...you should easily have a 1 " group...then move out to 10, then 15 and onwards till your groups tighten up....like a previous poster bullets don't magically alter their course. If the gun is not shooting 1" at 7 and 10 yards then there is a problem with the gun....if it shoots great at shorter distance the problem is with you...I did this and found out I had a loose rear sight with one of my pistols!
Old 05-28-2014, 16:12   #43
SIGlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by ES13Raven View Post
Did you read my original posts? The tests were with both barrels.
ES13Raven,

Your test are not standard. Yet, based on your own test between the KKM and Glock Stock Barrel, What can you conclude? The conclusion is: Glock Stock Barrel is as good as KKM custom barrel. So, can you take this fact and move on?

Let me tell you something: Many years ago, the guy that owns Glockmeister.com told me that Glock barrel is as good as KKM or better. I didn't believe him, so I actually bought a KKM barrel from him for my G34. Well, he was right in the end. Live and learn.

Now, if you can't get less than 3" group from 25 yds. on sandbag rest....it's not the G34, it's your shooting skil. Not everyone can shoot a 3" group even on sandbag. I have seen this hundreds of time in 25 years at my indoor range. Very few people can do this (yes, on Sandbag with a pistol). You are not that good to test pistol accuracy and not even for a Glock.

Another thing, you didn't follow the proper accuracy test protocol: It is 5 consecutive, 5 shot group at 25 yds. (NRA standard)

I can get 1.8" to 2.3" with 5 shot group at 25 yds. on sandbag with my G34 and stock barrel. The ammo is Blazer (aluminum casing).

I also own Berreta, Kimber 1911, and SIG, etc. I routinely conduct 25 yds accuracy tests and Glock is as good as any of these good brand name guns.
Old 05-28-2014, 16:21   #44
SIGlock

Quote:
That's the plan, along with trying this out:

General Glocking
Been there, done that. Got one of these also. No good. Trust me. Or Go right ahead and buy this pistol stand and try for yourself. I had one a long time ago. What a waste of money. Live and learn.

What you need is good old sand bags....and someone very good at testing pistol, on sandbag, to test your G34. Here is how you can choose that guy. Ask him to shoot a 5 shot group at 25 feet (yes, 25 feet) WHILE Standing, hold the gun with both hands, and use NO REST of any kind. NO rest of any kind while he is shoot. But, all his 5 shots must be less than 1". More like 0.60" to 0.85" consistently with any Glock. Then, you find the right guy to test your gun.

Last edited by SIGlock; 05-28-2014 at 16:23..
SIGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 16:37   #45
SIGlock

So, here are two targets of what you need to learn to do first at 25 feet, before trying to shoot any gun at 25 yards (particularly for accuracy testing for that specific matter).

My G34 two best 5 shot groups at 25 feet, shooting using both hand held, while standing, without any rest. These group is much less than 1". Got to love that G34.
Attached Thumbnails
General Glocking - Click for larger version  
Old 05-28-2014, 16:38   #46
Andrew Phelps

shooting a pistol off bags is a skill in and of itself. don't be surprised if you don't shoot good groups in the first range session. either get someone who already learned how to do it for you, or be prepared to spend a few hundred (more for me) rounds learning how to do it before getting frustrated at the pistol itself.
Andrew Phelps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 16:45   #47
JBP55

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGlock View Post
So, here are two targets of what you need to learn to do first at 25 feet, before trying to shoot any gun at 25 yards (particularly for accuracy testing for that specific matter).

My G34 two best 5 shot groups at 25 feet, shooting using both hand held, while standing, without any rest. These group is much less than 1". Got to love that G34.
Excellent shooting.
JBP55 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 16:46   #48
Andrew Phelps

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBP55 View Post
Excellent shooting.
yah, no doubt.
Old 05-28-2014, 16:51   #49
ES13Raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGlock View Post
I can get 1.8" to 2.3" with 5 shot group at 25 yds. on sandbag with my G34 and stock barrel.
What method of rest are you using? Mag supported by sandbag? Wrists supported by sandbag (gun touching nothing)?
ES13Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 16:56   #50
ES13Raven

I forgot to mention that this is an IDPA / USPSA gun, so I use the Warren Sevigny competition sights. They have a wide rear notch (.150") and narrow front (.115").
Old 05-29-2014, 05:02   #51
M&P15T
Beard One

Quote:
I forgot to mention that this is an IDPA / USPSA gun, so I use the Warren Sevigny competition sights. They have a wide rear notch (.150") and narrow front (.115").
Ahhhh......gun golfing.

I remember when IDPA first started. It's sole intention was to be "run what you carry, the way you carried it", and the scenarios were meant to simulate defensive shooting. If you carried a snubby with speed-strips, that's what you brought and ran. If it was a 1911 with 3 extra mags, that's what you ran. If you carried a G19, that's what you brought and ran.

Now, it's gun golfists seeing who can spend the most money on their "rig".

So OP. You removed the more precise factory sights, and now you're wondering why it wont group at a distance those specific sights were never intended to be used at, in a manner those specific sights were never intended to be used at.

Well, you have found at least part of the problem.
Old 05-29-2014, 05:08   #52
Andrew Phelps

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&P15T View Post
Ahhhh......gun golfing.

I remember when IDPA first started. It's sole intention was to be "run what you carry, the way you carried it", and the scenarios were meant to simulate defensive shooting. If you carried a snubby with speed-strips, that's what you brought and ran. If it was a 1911 with 3 extra mags, that's what you ran. If you carried a G19, that's what you brought and ran.

Now, it's gun golfists seeing who can spend the most money on their "rig".

So OP. You removed the more precise factory sights, and now you're wondering why it wont group at a distance those specific sights were never intended to be used at, in a manner those specific sights were never intended to be used at.

Wow. This is the biggest "get off my lawn!" post i have ever seen.
Old 05-29-2014, 06:09   #53
M&P15T
Beard One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Phelps View Post
Wow. This is the biggest "get off my lawn!" post i have ever seen.
Well....yeah....the IDPA was founded in 1996, so it's 18 years old now. I guess my complaining about how it's changed over those 18 years might sound a bit like an old man......to a 20 something.
Old 05-29-2014, 08:45   #54
ES13Raven

Quote:
Ahhhh......gun golfing.

Nothing wrong with playing the game that way. A lot of people do. But it is a game, and not training.
Old 05-29-2014, 10:14   #55
M&P15T
Beard One

Quote:
Nothing wrong with playing the game that way. A lot of people do. But it is a game, and not training.
That's what it is now. It's not what the IDPA was originally intended to be.
Old 05-29-2014, 10:24   #56
ES13Raven

Quote:

I wouldn't call the factory plastic sights "precise". There are a lot of other target sights available that I would call "precise".

In IDPA we have to hit targets out to 35 yards occasionally. The competition sights I chose are designed with action shooting in mind, but I think you are incorrect to say they were "never intended" to be used at 25 yards.

In fact, the manufacturer designed the sights to have a point-of-aim / point-of-impact at 25 yards:

"Point of Aim/Point of Impact (POA/POI) for G34 and G35, with most subsonic ammo, will be at or slightly above the front post (approx. 2”) at 25 yards"

Last edited by ES13Raven; 05-29-2014 at 10:27..
Old 05-29-2014, 10:50   #57
Andrew Phelps

There is nothing more precise than a plastic sight with molding marks on it that is not even flat across the top on most guns.
Old 05-29-2014, 10:55   #58
BuckyP
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Phelps View Post
There is nothing more precise than a plastic sight with molding marks on it that is not even flat across the top on most guns.
BuckyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 10:58   #59
M&P15T
Beard One

Quote:
I wouldn't call the factory plastic sights "precise". There are a lot of other target sights available that I would call "precise".

In IDPA we have to hit targets out to 35 yards occasionally. The competition sights I chose are designed with action shooting in mind, but I think you are incorrect to say they were "never intended" to be used at 25 yards.

In fact, the manufacturer designed the sights to have a point-of-aim / point-of-impact at 25 yards:

"Point of Aim/Point of Impact (POA/POI) for G34 and G35, with most subsonic ammo, will be at or slightly above the front post (approx. 2) at 25 yards"
The point is, that the stock sights are more precise than what you replaced them with. You are then concerned when your shooting is not precise.

So, I'm betting your new sights are at least part of the problem.
Old 05-29-2014, 11:00   #60
HK Dan

I cant get GLOCKs to group well if I use a rifle trigger pull either. If I use a brisk, straight pull they seem to do dramatically better, but its all anecdotal.

Tags
accuracy, barrel, groups, kkm barrels