Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-14-2014, 00:50   #1
Glock40man

Wilson Combat: 38 Super Magazines

I've have read mixed reviews. Would any of you guys recommend them? I was going to order a few. But, after reading some of the reviews I decided to wait and, see what GT had to say.
Old 05-14-2014, 03:55   #2
BuckyP
Lifetime Membership

I have a couple Wilson .38 super magazines. I much prefer the Tripp .38 super magazines.
BuckyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 08:24   #3
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

What Bucky said. I also have Wilson .38 Super mags and I prefer Tripp Research mags. Actually I prefer Mec-Gar and Chip McCormick mags over Wilson mags, especially in non-.45ACP calibers.

Maybe it's bad luck for me, but non-.45ACP Wilson mags have caused malfunctions in my various handguns while other brands have not.

If price is an issue then I can wholeheartedly recommend Mec-Gar .38 Super mags. If price isn't an issue, then pimp it out with Tripp Research Cobra mags.
Old 05-14-2014, 10:10   #4
Glolt20-91

I have 5 Wilson mags for 3 1911s/.38 Super from 3 different manufacturers. Four of the five Wilson mags malfunction before the magazine empties in all three 1911s.

Colt magazines work great by comparison.

"Speed is fine, but accuracy is final - Bill Jordan
Glolt20-91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 10:20   #5
automan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glolt20-91 View Post
I have 5 Wilson mags for 3 1911s/.38 Super from 3 different manufacturers. Four of the five Wilson mags malfunction before the magazine empties in all three 1911s.

Colt magazines work great by comparison.
I've found Wilson mags aren't all they say they are. I've not yet had my Colt mags malfunction in my Colts.

Last edited by automan; 05-14-2014 at 10:20..
automan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 20:32   #6
Rinspeed
JAFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by automan View Post
I've found Wilson mags aren't all they say they are. I've not yet had my Colt mags malfunction in my Colts.

You run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking, racing around to come up behind you again, the sun is the same in a relative way but you’re older, shorter of breath and one day closer to death…

Last edited by Rinspeed; 05-15-2014 at 07:44..
Rinspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 21:33   #7
Glock40man

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckyP View Post
I have a couple Wilson .38 super magazines. I much prefer the Tripp .38 super magazines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
What Bucky said. I also have Wilson .38 Super mags and I prefer Tripp Research mags. Actually I prefer Mec-Gar and Chip McCormick mags over Wilson mags, especially in non-.45ACP calibers.

Maybe it's bad luck for me, but non-.45ACP Wilson mags have caused malfunctions in my various handguns while other brands have not.

If price is an issue then I can wholeheartedly recommend Mec-Gar .38 Super mags. If price isn't an issue, then pimp it out with Tripp Research Cobra mags.

Thanks Guys, I found some Mec-Gar mags yesterday. So, I'll give them a shot. Price isn't the issue but, its hard to find anything but factory Colt Magazines around here. I'll order some Tripp Research at some point as well.

Hopefully, I can get to the range soon and, give it another shot.
Old 05-15-2014, 21:37   #8
Glock40man

Quote:
Originally Posted by automan View Post
I've not yet had my Colt mags malfunction in my Colts.
I must be unlucky..... Only one out of three. The one that the pistol likes didn't ship with it.
Old 05-16-2014, 11:36   #9
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock40man View Post
Thanks Guys, I found some Mec-Gar mags yesterday. So, I'll give them a shot. Price isn't the issue but, its hard to find anything but factory Colt Magazines around here. I'll order some Tripp Research at some point as well.

Hopefully, I can get to the range soon and, give it another shot.
Every decent pistol manufacturer out there uses Mec-Gar mags. So you can rest assured that they're quality goods.

Tripp Research mags are in another league though. I don't know if they're more reliable than Mec-Gar, but damn, they're well made AND pretty.

You pick up a Wilson/Ed Brown/Chip McCormick mag and compare to the Tripp and it's like night & day. Remember that these "Gucci" mags are all priced the same too - into the $30s range a pop. I believe that Tripp gives you a discount at the purchase of 5-mags or something like that.

One cool thing about Tripp Research is that they're very accomodating when it comes to making modifications to their mags. For example, I bought a Colt 9mm Defender. Currently the only two mag options are Colt factory and Wilson Combat. Tripp does not make compact 9mm mags, so after talking with them, they agreed to cut down their full size 9mm mags for me. I have to pay the cut charge, but still came out about the same price as the Wilson mags, which I also have and don't work too well.

Colt factory mags are either made by Checkmate or Metalform. Of which neither are really anything to rave about.
Old 05-16-2014, 14:06   #10
Rinspeed
JAFO

Quote:
Colt factory mags are either made by Checkmate or Metalform. Of which neither are really anything to rave about.

I've been very happy with the Checkmate Hybrid mags and I don't think you'll find a better choice in the lower priced 1911mags. Checkmate has a pretty good chunk of the OEM 1911 mag business by the way. I really like the Cobra mags as well but they are $37 a pop. If they gave a little better discount when you purchased several I would use only Tripp mags.

You run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking, racing around to come up behind you again, the sun is the same in a relative way but you’re older, shorter of breath and one day closer to death…
Old 05-16-2014, 16:05   #11
Glock40man

Quote:
Every decent pistol manufacturer out there uses Mec-Gar mags. So you can rest assured that they're quality goods.

Tripp Research mags are in another league though. I don't know if they're more reliable than Mec-Gar, but damn, they're well made AND pretty.

You pick up a Wilson/Ed Brown/Chip McCormick mag and compare to the Tripp and it's like night & day. Remember that these "Gucci" mags are all priced the same too - into the $30s range a pop. I believe that Tripp gives you a discount at the purchase of 5-mags or something like that.

One cool thing about Tripp Research is that they're very accomodating when it comes to making modifications to their mags. For example, I bought a Colt 9mm Defender. Currently the only two mag options are Colt factory and Wilson Combat. Tripp does not make compact 9mm mags, so after talking with them, they agreed to cut down their full size 9mm mags for me. I have to pay the cut charge, but still came out about the same price as the Wilson mags, which I also have and don't work too well.

Thanks fnfalman. I ordered a couple Tripp Research mags.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 05-16-2014, 16:10   #12
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock40man View Post
Thanks fnfalman. I ordered a couple Tripp Research mags.

You won't regret it. I'm about to place an order for a few of the .45ACP 7-rds flush fit mags too.
Old 05-16-2014, 18:07   #13
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
The Dude Abides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinspeed View Post
I've been very happy with the Checkmate Hybrid mags and I don't think you'll find a better choice.......
I have had better luck with these than the Wilson's
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 18:27   #14
Rinspeed
JAFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by faawrenchbndr View Post
I have had better luck with these than the Wilson's

The spring in the 47Ds are junk, not because Wilson decided to use junk springs there is just not enough room in the body to use the correct spring. No idea why they haven't just phased out the 47D other than there are a couple government contracts that specify them. The ETMs are great mags but Wilson thinks all their products are made of gold.

Old 05-16-2014, 20:18   #15
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
The Dude Abides

I use Tripp more then Wilson......has worked for me for a few years
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 02:15   #16
Glock40man

Quote:

I'm pretty sure that Colt uses Metalform for their SS 38 Super magazines. I couldn't tell a difference, other than the "Colt" markings.
Old 05-17-2014, 02:32   #17
Glock40man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinspeed View Post
I've been very happy with the Checkmate Hybrid mags and I don't think you'll find a better choice in the lower priced 1911mags. Checkmate has a pretty good chunk of the OEM 1911 mag business by the way. I really like the Cobra mags as well but they are $37 a pop. If they gave a little better discount when you purchased several I would use only Tripp mags.
The difference in price between Colt OEM, Wilson Combat and, Tripp Research magazines is about nothing. I'm not going to cry over $3.

Besides, the Tripp Research mags give me an "extra" round. If they are reliable with my pistol they are worth the cost.
Old 05-17-2014, 04:53   #18
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

There is no way I would pay for Colt OEM mags when I can buy Metalform mags for third of the price. Same thing but without the prancing pony.

Old 05-18-2014, 11:32   #19
bac1023

I never had an issue with 45ACP Wilson mags. I never tried a 38 Super mag from them.

I don't own any 38 Super 1911s.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 15:16   #20
BuckyP
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
I never had an issue with 45ACP Wilson mags. I never tried a 38 Super mag from them.

I don't own any 38 Super 1911s.
I actually prefer the Wilson to Tripps in the .45 ACP. All other calibers, I prefer the Tripps. I have mags in 9mm, .38 super, .40, 10mm and .45.

However, I do run a 7 round Tripp in my Kobra Carry. I feel without a flush fit mag, you negate the benefit of the bobtail.
BuckyP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1911, 38 super, colt, magazine