Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-12-2014, 18:42   #1
badge315

My new Ruger Mini-Thirty Tactical Rifle

I figured bac1023 isn't the only one who can start threads about recent acquisitions.

Not too long ago I read a brief history of the Mini-30 and watched a few YouTube videos, and I started to get the itch for one. I was never too excited about them when they were first introduced, especially since Ruger only made 5-round magazines for them and aftermarket mags were of dubious reliability. But I definitely dig the new Tactical Rifle configuration; blued finish, heavy barrel, protected front sight, GB flash hider...and it comes with two factory 20-round mags.

General Firearms Forum

And here it is with its Garand siblings in .308 and .223...

General Firearms Forum

This is my first rifle chambered in 7.62x39...anyone have any thoughts/experience with the Mini-30? I've only put 40 rounds of UMC brass-cased ammo through it so far...which naturally ran flawlessly. But I intend to experiment with a wide variety of steel and brass-cased ammo to see what it likes.

- The Loc-Nar
badge315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 18:46   #2
Joshhtn
The eBay Guy

Looks great!! Congrats!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Joshhtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 18:52   #3
The_Gun_Guru
Ban Democrats!!

I love the 7.62X39 round! I have eight (8) SKS' and seven (7) AKs chambered for that round. LOVE THEM ALL!!!!

While my Mini is the -14 in 5.56/.223, I would not hesitate to get the Mini-30 if the price was right.

Congrats on a true classic!

TGG
Kalashnikov Klub #4519
OD G19 - LOTS of AKs - Only ONE AR....but it's a Colt!
NO AMNESTY FOR ILLEGAL ALIENS!!!
This is America. If you can't or won't speak English, PLEASE LEAVE!!!
The_Gun_Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 18:57   #4
raven11

i have no experience with that rifle but congrats, I know from experience 7.62x39 is a tad cheaper than .308

with the rifles next to each other the Mini-14 doesn't look that "mini"
Old 04-12-2014, 19:47   #5
DonD

Iíve had one for about 8 yrs. Really like it, quite reliable and pretty accurate despite nay sayers. The earlier, thinner barreled versions werenít as accurate.

This one is about a 1.4 MOA gun off of the bench with a 2-7X scope on it but I enjoy it more with the irons.

By the way, Iíve found the 10 rd Pro Mag magazines to be quite reliable. Don
DonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 20:26   #6
Bruce M

Looks like that would be much fun to shoot.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 20:31   #7
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
DirtyThirty fan

Do yourself a favor,.........keep the cheap Chi-Com steel case ammo away from that Mini 30. The primers they use are very hard on the Mini's firing pin. Break a pin and it's off to Ruger for a replacement. That is a $150+ job. There are no drop in firing pins for a Mini, they are all hand fit.
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 20:32   #8
Pier23

I got the Ranch Rifle version a couple of years ago. I was getting some FTF which necessitated tapping the bolt handle. I knew the issue...the fiberglass stock was rubbing against the bolt, slightly impeding motion.

Sent it back to Ruger thinking they would trim the stock and call it a day. But they buffed down the bolt instead. Odd choice of options, IMHO, but the problem got solved. Do NOT grab the barrel after you have gone thru a magazine..... The shroud is your friend!

Good rifle. Sounds like a washing machine when it cycles, but accuracy is more than god enough for my purposes, and the 7.62x39 round will handle anything I will ever face.

Welcome to the Mini world!
Pier23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 20:36   #9
deadmanglocking

I hate you. I've really been in the market for one and can't find one in my price range. Great gun and a great round IMO.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Ohub Campfire mobile app
deadmanglocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 07:00   #10
ronin.45

Quote:
Originally Posted by faawrenchbndr View Post
Do yourself a favor,.........keep the cheap Chi-Com steel case ammo away from that Mini 30. The primers they use are very hard on the Mini's firing pin. Break a pin and it's off to Ruger for a replacement. That is a $150+ job. There are no drop in firing pins for a Mini, they are all hand fit.
That is disappointing. A 7.62x39 that can't shoot cheap ammo is just about useless.
Old 04-13-2014, 07:30   #11
Pier23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin.45 View Post
That is disappointing. A 7.62x39 that can't shoot cheap ammo is just about useless.
I have been shooting ComBloc ammo in mine since I got it. This warning about the hard primers and the Mini firing pin has been Gospel on the Ruger sites. But I have not had an issue with Rooskie ammo...but that has dried up now.

But, mine is not a heavy shooter...i have MAYBE 800 rounds thru mine.

You DO need to watch out for corrosive ammo...hose down (literally) your Mini after you have finished firing, get all the nasty glop out of it. Again, Gospel says to pour boiling water down the barrel after firing corrosive, and don't delay cleanup.

It IS true that if you break the FP, it needs a custom refit by Ruger. Others have tried to get a spare FP from Ruger, but have been said its a no-go. Now, this seems odd to me, a firing pin is a pretty standard item, so why the custom fit is lost on me, but those are the stories.

Anyway, I shoot the cheap stuff because I can't afford the good stuff, and I figger Ruger would know that if you chamber a rifle for a ComBloc cartridge, you are gonna have ComBloc cartridges fired thru it.

Shoot and enjoy! It is a fun rifle that folks have a lot of fun modding. My Ranch is stock, and this makes me a distinct minority!

OH...PLUS, with the Mini, you get the benefits of an "assault rifle" (cartridge, capacity) with none of the PC "assault rifle" baggage.
Pier23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 15:51   #12
bac1023

Looks great

Congrats!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 16:28   #13
FLIPPER 348
Happy Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin.45 View Post

Don't let the internet-commandos distort reality as the mini-30 will happily shoot commie steel cased ammo just fine.
FLIPPER 348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 21:07   #14
steve1911

Congrats!

1911club#410
Old 04-13-2014, 22:19   #15
Wyoming

Send a message via Yahoo to Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by faawrenchbndr View Post
Did this happen to you or some one you know personally?
Old 04-13-2014, 23:29   #16
Glock40man

Congrats!
Old 04-14-2014, 00:21   #17
skeeter7
Brass Vulture

Nice looking rifle! Congrats!
NECC #401
skeeter7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:34   #18
JuneyBooney

Congrats on the new rifle. She looks very sweet. No experience with that model but I have had other models from Ruger and they were always flawless. I am sure yours will be flawless too.

Cool songs:

Cool car:
JuneyBooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:53   #19
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
DirtyThirty fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyoming View Post
Did this happen to you or some one you know personally?
Happened to me,......TWICE. The second time was blamed on me by Ruger. After the 1st firing pin was replaced, it was suffering from light primer strikes about 30% of the time. I then installed an extra power hammer spring. It fired reliably, but the firing pin broke at about 400 rounds fired. Cost for that replacement was $150 for the labor, $9 for the pin and $43 and change for the shipping.

Sold the darn thing. Loved it for what it was, but would not shoot the cheap Norinco and other steel case ammo.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:55   #20
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
DirtyThirty fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLIPPER 348 View Post
Don't let the internet-commandos distort reality as the mini-30 will happily shoot commie steel cased ammo just fine.
Don't you have something else better to do than play troll?

Tags
7.62x39, mini-30, ruger