Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-19-2014, 18:27   #1
Iamaarmed

Stippled Glock VS. Stock Glock

My question is not which feels better or which do you prefer. But rather which will bring more money and is easier to sell? I came across a Gen 3 Glock Stippled and undercut trigger guard and removed finger groves. Asking price is $500. Gun is in excellent condition. However I can purchase a Gen 3 in same condition for $445 completely stock. Which is a better deal and which will hold its value ? This maybe a difficult question.
Iamaarmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 18:32   #2
jhall1911

Why take a chance that Bubba actually knew what he was doing? I wouldn't pay more than 1/3 of stock used for someone's experiment.
jhall1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 18:34   #3
GRR

Stippling get negative dollars from me.
GRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 18:35   #4
Glock40man

A "stock" Glock will be easier to sell. If you have better sights and extra magazines that never hurts. But, generally the "stippled" ones sit around longer.
Old 03-19-2014, 18:35   #5
ronin.45

Unless the seller has proof that Cold Bore did the work, stippling kills resale value. I'm knocking at least $100 off a stipple gun.
Old 03-19-2014, 18:51   #6
Iamaarmed

Thanks for the quick responses. I kind of thought that stippled mods would possibly create a white elephant in a used gun. Thanks for confirming my thoughts.

The whole thing is that I do have a Gen 3 Glock 19 and mentioned the price points because the store had a used Gen 3 in the same condition as the stippled one. Also the store has a Gen 4 new for $525. just itching to buy a new Glock Also have a 36. Looks like a Gen 4 19 is in my future.
Iamaarmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 19:47   #7
bac1023

Unless its done by a reputable company, such as Cold Bore, it will destroy much of the Glock's value.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 20:13   #8
Speleothem

Some jobs look better than others,
but many are just plain awful.
Me, I don't like it and wouldn't
buy one or deface one myself.
Speleothem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 20:32   #9
Bruce M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin.45 View Post
Unless the seller has proof that Cold Bore did the work, stippling kills resale value. I'm knocking at least $100 off a stipple gun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
Unless its done by a reputable company, such as Cold Bore, it will destroy much of the Glock's value.
Agreed completely.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 05:49   #10
Earl E. Bird

Agreed, unless the custom work is performed by a pro, then it detracts from the value.
Earl E. Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 06:25   #11
G26S239
NRA Patron

I like the Gen 3s. I only had one Gen 2 and traded it for a Sig P239 357 in 2008. Stippling is not something I value at all. <That is not a dig at those who like stippling I just do not and it would not only detract from the value to me but I would not buy it. By the same reasoning the Hardchrome finish that I had applied to my Glock 36 in 2003 would not add any value to resale.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:12   #12
jonmango42

Speaking as someone relatively new to buying/selling guns, stippling on frames looked cool to me when I first began looking at guns for sale. I honestly didn't know any better and thought the custom work would add to the value.

It didn't help that most internet pics in gun ads don't really show the detail of the job, and that makes determining the quality of work more difficult. Also, when I was newer, I really didn't think I needed to look all that closely.

Today I am a bit more wise in the ways of buying/selling/window shopping, so I much prefer a gun to be stock. There are many guns out there that allow you to customize without irrevocably altering it, so that would be my preference if I felt the need to customize a gun I owned. I'd also retain any factory parts I took off for a potential future owner.

I guess, like cars, I rarely consider myself a gun's final owner. Plus, a large part of my purchase decision has to do with the gun's condition from the factory. I don't generally see them as a "work in progress," but I understand that mentality - I just don't assign a positive value to most of it
jonmango42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 07:47   #13
BlaineAtk

So say cold bore did the work, value increases then? Status about what a stock frame would go for? Just wondering....

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Ohub Campfire mobile app
BlaineAtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 07:51   #14
GRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaineAtk View Post
So say cold bore did the work, value increases then? Status about what a stock frame would go for? Just wondering....

Personal preference. I don't care who does it. It would reduce the value for me.
GRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:59   #15
SJ 40

If you want a stock Glock that you can get a grip on and keep a grip o, look for whatever model you want in Glocks RTF 2 grip frame.
That had to be the best griping frame from the factory Glock ever developed. SJ 40
SJ 40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 10:07   #16
plumbum2

i agree with others. if you are into stippling and its done by a professional well known company it might add a "little" value. but in all honesty since its such a "touchy" topic i compare it to custom parts on a motorcycle. you rarely get anything close to the $ you have into it just trying to sell it out right. thats why most people recommend parting it out and going back to stock.
plumbum2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 10:24   #17
DJCantonGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaineAtk View Post

Maybe to some, but definitely not to me. I wouldn't even consider buying a stippled gun, unless it was a steal.
John 3:16
Matthew 6:34

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

DJCantonGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 10:40   #18
ronin.45

I don't think I'd put a premium on a Cold Bore Glock. I just wouldn't look at it as unbuyable. Maybe in the same range as a non stippled.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:40   #19
Dutch110

I have two Glocks that were worked on by Glockworx. Slide work, stippling, triggers etc... I did it to personalize the guns for me, not for someone else who I might sell it to down the line. For me they are perfect. Maybe not so for someone else. Just like my Harley and other motorcycles I have owned. Any work done to them was to make the bike fit and perform well for my preferances. Going into it you have to understand that you will never get out of the gun what you put into it. If that is even part of the thought process you should leave it stock. That being said I have seen some real hack jobs on stippling and unless it was done professionally I'd stay away from it.
Dutch110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 12:27   #20
my_old_glock

You can always F'up a gun, but you can't un-F'up a gun.

Buy what you want, and pay what you think it is worth.

my_old_glock is offline   Reply With Quote