SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-18-2014, 14:31   #1
Kelo6

LAX shooting report: Communication problems added to confusion

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...#axzz2wLZJXQtq

Thoughts? Especially from those who are LE in CA?

I would imagine having radios that don't communicate with other local agencies has to suck.

Overall, it sounds like a crap sandwhich without the bread.

Many thanks to all of you on this board for doing what you do!

Last edited by Kelo6; 03-18-2014 at 14:55..
Kelo6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 17:41   #2
dano1427

The theory of interoperability is a joke, but Motorola is making huge amounts of money off it. Even if all agencies had the technological capabilities to communicate, in an event such as an active shooter or airport shooter, the coordination efforts to place all the different responding agencies on one frequency would be monumental.
dano1427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 22:46   #3
Patchman
Florist

How does this work? Does the FCC reserve a frequency for interoperability? So that when any local agency purchase radios, do they program their regular frequencies PLUS have the special FCC frequency programed in also?

And thank YOU for being perfect, all the time, every time. Go forth and reproduce. We need more of you.

Last edited by Patchman; 03-18-2014 at 22:53..
Patchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 02:14   #4
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

We're working on that project with a bunch of local agencies. The LA Communications Center for CHP is spearheading a huge project and they are looking to get as many agencies on board as they can. Even if we can't communicate with each other, when something goes down, the CHP LACC can patch all agencies with each other. It's going to take a lot of work and I imagine, a lot of trainings and drills to get it right, but if it works, it'll be worth it.

As for the LAX incident... yeah, sounds about right for just about everything that goes down here in SoCal with all the various agencies that come to assist each other.

There are agencies who are very willing to share frequencies, but it's hard to get the programming and logistics down when you have to actually use it. Then you have certain agencies who refuse to share frequencies even when they overlap or operate right next door to each other. We have been having a few major incidents lately and we get everyone involved, including CHP, LASD, and other local area agencies, plus various FD's from around the area... and yeah... we don't communicate with each other well.
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 03:50   #5
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

You don't have a preselected mutual aid frequency.'08.

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
kirgi08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:45   #6
11A

All of the local agencies are programmed into our radios. In case of an emergency requiring mutual aid, we go to the frequency needed and everyone uses plain talk.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
11A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:49   #7
The Fist Of Goodness

This is a huge problem in federal LE. Before the creation of Homeland, Treasury had a series of common channels (maintained by Customs, IIRC) available to the half dozen LE agencies that were under Treasury. Of course, they did not have any way to communicate with FBI, DEA, etc.

Nothing had changed. I would like to believe that DHS has a series of common channels, but who knows? I know that every time I work a multi agency surveillance, one agency has to provide radios for everyone, even though we all have our own, very expensive car and handheld radio sets.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Ohub Campfire mobile app
Old 03-19-2014, 12:07   #8
ateamer
NRA4EVR

Around here, there is an issue between some agencies because of them being in different wavelength bands. The SO, all city PDs and all fire in our county are VHF. CHP is still VHF-low - no one else has radios that function in that band. State Parks is in the 800 band (non-trunked). Most rangers carry a VHF handheld in their trucks. The university is 800 MHz trunked.

Departments operate in different bands for various reasons. Without expensive equipment and agreements to patch the different systems together, there will never be true interopability.
Know-it-all
ateamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 18:13   #9
CAcop

I remember after 9/11 there was a big push for interoperability. It went nowhere. I think even NYC can't do it and they are all under one roof.

Our solution was at one point going to be buying radios that could have all the frequencies of all 58 counties in CA. I think that died along with a sleazily written bond initiative.

I gave up on it long ago. I will retire in less that 8 years and they will still be talking about it. Hell, my week old kid if she goes into public safety will be hearing about it throughout here career.
I wonder if your assessment of "The Wizard of Oz" would sound something like "A teenaged orphan runs away with three psychotic AD/HD patients and a little dog. She kills the first two women she meets." --Sinecure 07/03/2006
Freakin' awsome!! Kickin it old school. Hot sheet on the dash. The report was probably only two sentences. Long live Rencko and Bobbie Hill!--WhiskeyT
CAcop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 02:22   #10
SAR
CLM Number
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchman View Post
How does this work? Does the FCC reserve a frequency for interoperability? So that when any local agency purchase radios, do they program their regular frequencies PLUS have the special FCC frequency programed in also?
Our radios have 200 channels including 2 for LAX as far as I know. I don't think it's so much about interoperability as much as our reluctance to switch channels to an outside mutual aid channel when there is a major incident. Within our Department we use over 20 frequencies. When there is a major incident we internally switch to an internal operational TAC frequency. It's hard to explain, but it's hard enough to get our agency talking together, much less outside agencies.