Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-13-2014, 20:20   #1
dm_graham308

Duty Trigger - Skimmer, Vanek, or ZEV

I recently purchased a G19 Gen4 and after putting in a Ghost connector a 25cent trigger job and about 600 rounds the trigger still feels sub-par. I currently carry a G21 Gen3 with a Ghost connector and 25c trigger job and love it. During quals I am putting all 50 rounds into a 5" group center of mass. I'm not sure why the 19 trigger feels so much worse than the 21 with the same "upgrades".

I am now to the point that I just want to buy an aftermarket/dropin trigger so that I can carry the 19 both on duty and for a ccw safely. I have done a lot of searching online and on here and I have found a lot of reviews for these triggers, but none of the reviews really compared them together. I am leaning more towards the Vanek and the Skimmer because of the use of "stock" parts, but I really like the flat face of the ZEV trigger.

How do theses triggers compare?
-Skimmer
-Vanek (not sure which would be better)
-Zev (Duty)

Last edited by dm_graham308; 03-13-2014 at 20:29..
dm_graham308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 21:12   #2
jasanch5

You don't want to hear this but... factory "-" connector plus polish, a q-tip, and 15min of your time... -or- leave it be.
jasanch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 21:37   #3
Inebriated

Do you do any dry fire? A new trigger won't replace fundamentals.
Kalashnikov Klub Member #870
Black Rifle Club Member #2L8
The 21 Club Member #19691

Last edited by Inebriated; 03-13-2014 at 21:37..
Inebriated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 01:39   #4
JBP55

I am surprised your department will allow aftermarket triggers. This one is tuned factory OEM parts. Do not use a 4.0# firing pin spring on a duty pistol.

GSSF Trigger Kit

Kit includes all Glock parts:

Smooth Face Trigger w/Trigger Bar
Tuned 4.5 Connector
Firing Pin Safety
Trigger Housing
Firing Pin Safety Spring
Firing Pin Spring

Item: GSFTK.................................................................$150.00

Shipping and Handling......................................................$6.00

Generations 1, 2, and 3 use the same kit.
.10mm SF / .45 cal SF models use the same kit as the Gen 4

Last edited by JBP55; 03-14-2014 at 01:40..
JBP55 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 02:16   #5
mark!

I'm surprised they'd allow any modification to internals as well. But if it were me, I'd go with Glock stock parts, not anything related to the race gun industry.
mark! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 05:20   #6
Tornado_Racing

Im pretty happy with my Gen4 Skimmers. All factory Glock parts, short takeup, firm wall, crisp break, and a positive reset.

I did call about the "safety" issues and was re-assured I had nothing to worry about with the Skimmer.
Tornado_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 05:24   #7
Joshhtn
The eBay Guy

Never heard of a department allowing trigger modification...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Joshhtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 05:25   #8
dm_graham308

I think that I yall have helped me narrow it down to one of the Vaneks or the Skimmer. My department is a large department and ranks within the top 5 in all of the FBI lists, so my likelyhood of having to put rounds into a moving target are great. I understand that most depts don't like officers "customizing" their (personally owned) duty weapons, but when it comes to any type of fight I will look for the edge. And if I can run the gun faster AND more efficent then I'm all in. I have solid fundamentals and I am at the range running drills at least 3 times a week, but I guess we can all improve. I'm just not big on the 1000 round trigger job, when I can get a Vanek or a Skimmer and use the 1000 rounds more efficiently.
Old 03-14-2014, 05:30   #9
hunter 111

I run a glock stock 4.5 connector
a competition trigger spring
smooth face glock stock trigger

That is the most I feel I "get away with" and justify in court if it is used

Last edited by hunter 111; 03-14-2014 at 05:32..
hunter 111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 05:32   #10
Joshhtn
The eBay Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm_graham308 View Post
I think that I yall have helped me narrow it down to one of the Vaneks or the Skimmer. My department is a large department and ranks within the top 5 in all of the FBI lists, so my likelyhood of having to put rounds into a moving target are great. I understand that most depts don't like officers "customizing" their (personally owned) duty weapons, but when it comes to any type of fight I will look for the edge. And if I can run the gun faster AND more efficent then I'm all in. I have solid fundamentals and I am at the range running drills at least 3 times a week, but I guess we can all improve. I'm just not big on the 1000 round trigger job, when I can get a Vanek or a Skimmer and use the 1000 rounds more efficiently.
The way you're talking, I can guarantee that you're not LE... Mall ninja maybe, but your not LE.

You gotta love the internet!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Old 03-14-2014, 05:38   #11
lpo
what?!?!?!?!?

Send a message via Yahoo to lpo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshhtn View Post
The way you're talking, I can guarantee that you're not LE... Mall ninja maybe, but your not LE.

You gotta love the internet!!
I had my suspicions as well.
Old 03-14-2014, 05:42   #12
Joshhtn
The eBay Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpo View Post
I had my suspicions as well.
I've never understood the need to fabricate a life for the internet... You know your life sucks when you have to fictionalize who you are.

It's good for a laugh though, and for that I'm thankful.

Old 03-14-2014, 06:28   #13
Bill Lumberg
BTF Inventor

What Department would you have us believe you work for?
Quote:
Old 03-14-2014, 09:40   #14
Cashgap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lumberg View Post
Quote:
My department is a large department and ranks within the top 5 in all of the FBI lists, so my likelyhood of having to put rounds into a moving target are great.
Keep in mind, the FBI has several types of lists...

If you think some trigger parts give you an "edge", I would like to introduce you to my three friends... training, dry firing, and the firing range. They can give you an edge that a Bob Munden trigger can't provide.

NRA Instructor, TN Handgun Carry Instructor, Glock Armorer, C&R FFL

Last edited by Cashgap; 03-14-2014 at 09:42..
Cashgap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 09:53   #15
cowboy1964

Quote:
I am now to the point that I just want to buy an aftermarket/dropin trigger so that I can carry the 19 both on duty and for a ccw safely.

The "safest" thing would be to leave it stock.
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 10:56   #16
Bruce M

Quote:
... My department is a large department and ranks within the top 5 in all of the FBI lists, so my likelyhood of having to put rounds into a moving target are great. I understand that most depts don't like officers "customizing" their (personally owned) duty weapons....
The question though is not what "most" departments "don't like" but rather what are the specific regulations for your department.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lumberg View Post

This could certainly get good
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 10:57   #17
Clusterfrack

I do not recommend any aftermarket trigger for defensive (or duty) use. The advantages don't come close to outweighing the disadvantages.

I use (.) connectors in all my Glocks other than my gamer gun, which has a Vanek GM and Jager striker. The differences are measurable on the 0.01s - 0.1s timescale in time to first shot and splits--not a concern for a defensive gun. No major differences in accuracy, and I find that I am actually a little more accurate on multiple shots weak-hand with a stock trigger. Significant difference in reliability (lower for aftermarket trigger/striker).

Last edited by Clusterfrack; 03-14-2014 at 10:57..
Clusterfrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 11:02   #18
Bruce M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
.... Significant difference in reliability (lower for aftermarket trigger/striker).

This regularly bears consideration and repeating.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 13:28   #19
dm_graham308

First- The original question/purpose of this thread was to get the opinions of those who have shot these triggers and to get a comparison of their function, fit, and reliability for possible duty use. And to those who have answered that question, Thank you.

Second- For those who would rather try to point out that most depts don't allow their officers to change or alter the internals of their pistols; I appreciate your words of caution, but I'm a grown man and if I do something wrong and get in trouble for it I will take the punishment given.

Third- For those who doubt the validity of my employment; I'm not going to bow out my chest and start posting pictures of my badge, ID, or anything to prove that I am a sworn officer because I know I am, and I couldn't care less what you think about/of me. No one here signs my checks.

Moderators - I request that either the non-topic posts in this thread be deleted or just delete/close the entire thread because it is clearly not answering the intended question and is of no use to anyone.
Old 03-14-2014, 13:39   #20
Clusterfrack

When you modify your gun you can't rely on Glocks QC anymore. You have to do your own if you're going to trust it with your or someone else's life. That will take several 1000 rounds and some hard work.

I'm not interested in doing that, and all aftermarket triggers I have used or seen are not as reliable as stock.

Last edited by Clusterfrack; 03-14-2014 at 13:40..
Clusterfrack is offline   Reply With Quote