SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-11-2014, 03:29   #1
Jade Falcon
49er Loyal

China Death Row Interviews; 2013

I found this on YouTube. Quite interesting. Whether or not you support the Death Penalty (I do), I think everyone here should watch this. It's about 50 minutes long.

Discuss.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:25   #2
Bren
NRA Life Member

So China and England have anti-death-penalty nuts too. What's to discuss? Go to our death row with an anti-execution agenda and a determination to tell one side of the story and you'll get all those innocent little fellows to tell stories that bring tears to your eyes. So what?

I am pleased to see that the Chinese seem to be executing people who need it - I would expect their legal system to be less efficient.

Last edited by Bren; 03-11-2014 at 04:25..
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 07:26   #3
uhlawpup
Gentle Soul

Send a message via Yahoo to uhlawpup
I still support the death penalty, even though it is very difficult for me to do so.

You see, I served on a jury that condemned a man to death. Justice was served, but it is something I have lived with for nearly 40 years now. Knowing that I was instrumental in the taking of a human life is a heavy burden, but I must bear it. The system isn't perfect, but it is the best we have.

It is very easy to advocate for the death penalty if you have never taken a human life, or if you have never been a part of the system that has. Please understand that for each life taken, twelve of us must live with the taking every remaining day of our lives.

It still must be done, but it should not be taken lightly. Pray for those of us who must serve.

CRUX SANCTA SIT MIHI LUX
NUNQUAM DRACO SIT MIHI DUX
uhlawpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 08:21   #4
DaleGribble
Well Heeled Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade Falcon View Post
I found this on YouTube. Quite interesting. Whether or not you support the Death Penalty (I do), I think everyone here should watch this. It's about 50 minutes long.

Discuss.
I'm not investing 50 minutes of my time to watch a video about Chinese executions. If the people of China have a problem with their justice system they can rise up and over throw their commie overlords. If not, and they want to live with it, so be it.

I'm sure they want to hear my opinion about their justice system just as much as I want to hear their opinions about our justice system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhlawpup View Post
I still support the death penalty, even though it is very difficult for me to do so.

You see, I served on a jury that condemned a man to death. Justice was served, but it is something I have lived with for nearly 40 years now. Knowing that I was instrumental in the taking of a human life is a heavy burden, but I must bear it. The system isn't perfect, but it is the best we have.

It is very easy to advocate for the death penalty if you have never taken a human life, or if you have never been a part of the system that has. Please understand that for each life taken, twelve of us must live with the taking every remaining day of our lives.

It still must be done, but it should not be taken lightly. Pray for those of us who must serve.
Without trying to be offensive...

You're being overly dramatic about it. Every life comes to an end, some sooner than others, but it's coming. The person you condemned to death had his time accelerated, obviously for good reason. If you and eleven other people felt death was warranted, then everything worked as it should and remorse or guilt should not be a factor.

Last edited by DaleGribble; 03-11-2014 at 08:26..
DaleGribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:44   #5
8-Ball
Drifting Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleGribble View Post

Without trying to be offensive...

You're being overly dramatic about it. Every life comes to an end, some sooner than others, but it's coming. The person you condemned to death had his time accelerated, obviously for good reason. If you and eleven other people felt death was warranted, then everything worked as it should and remorse or guilt should not be a factor.
Exactly what I was thinking. If someone deserves to die, they deserve it.

I guess I don't value a human life just because it's a life. Some people deserve to live and some don't.

23skidoo (Jeff), CJLandry (Chad), Silent_Runner (Gloria), & GioaJack

Taken too soon.
8-Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:40   #6
Berto
woo woo

It was interesting to me, but just like our media really. It feigns human interest and compassion, but ultimately is about generating viewership and delivering its state-run message. I recognize that might sound jaded or even paranoid, but that's all I'm really seeing here.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:47   #7
DaleGribble
Well Heeled Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8-Ball View Post
Exactly what I was thinking. If someone deserves to die, they deserve it.

I guess I don't value a human life just because it's a life. Some people deserve to live and some don't.
Pretty much.

If the evidence was convincing enough, I wouldn't spend a second on remorse. If it wasn't convincing enough I wouldn't vote for death. I know that sounds simple but there isn't a whole lot of grey area when it comes to death.

I can't even begin to count the times I've watched people die, it's sad but some were sadder than others, for good reason. It's just the reality of life.

Some people don't deserve the energy needed to mourn them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berto View Post
It was interesting to me, but just like our media really. It feigns human interest and compassion, but ultimately is about generating viewership and delivering its state-run message. I recognize that might sound jaded or even paranoid, but that's all I'm really seeing here.
It didn't sounded jaded or paranoid to me. That's an example of intelligence, particularly the ability to recognize propaganda.
Old 03-11-2014, 13:13   #8
Caver 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhlawpup View Post

I'm completely on uhlawpup's side. No matter how macho some of you think you are, taking a human life isn't something to be done lightly. Even in a completely legitimate self defense case, it's something that will be with a decent human being for the rest of their life. It's not something to laugh or joke about.

That's one reason I favor warning shots or brandishing. (I know its illegal most places.) I realize the danger both ways, but anything that can possibly be done to avoid having to take a persons life. Even the life of the most vile scum you can think of. But yes I do support the death penalty for certain offenses. And I think I would vote to convict, if I was certain as I can be about guilt.

I would also use legitimate force for self defense, if I ever had to make that decision. But I'd do everything in my power to avoid that eventuality where possible. I realize this puts a decent person at increased risk, because the criminal probably won't hesitate to take my life. But I wouldn't want to take a life, if there was any other way to avoid it.
Caver 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 13:22   #9
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caver 60 View Post
I'm completely on uhlawpup's side. No matter how macho some of you think you are, taking a human life isn't something to be done lightly. Even in a completely legitimate self defense case, it's something that will be with a decent human being for the rest of their life. It's not something to laugh or joke about.

That's one reason I favor warning shots or brandishing. (I know its illegal most places.) I realize the danger both ways, but anything that can possibly be done to avoid having to take a persons life. Even the life of the most vile scum you can think of. But yes I do support the death penalty for certain offenses. And I think I would vote to convict, if I was certain as I can be about guilt.

I would also use legitimate force for self defense, if I ever had to make that decision. But I'd do everything in my power to avoid that eventuality where possible. I realize this puts a decent person at increased risk, because the criminal probably won't hesitate to take my life. But I wouldn't want to take a life, if there was any other way to avoid it.
Everyone's different. Some people are profoundly and permanently effected, some are not.
For the last time
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 14:14   #10
oldgraywolf
NRA, SAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8-Ball View Post

I guess I don't value a human life just because it's a life.
This is how I see it also. There's nothing sacred about human life. We come and go like flies. Many want to think of human life, especially their own, as something special, but it's not.

definatally
rediculas
theirs'
oldgraywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 17:29   #11
Andy P

I watched it and I can not see this program as being anti-death penalty.

Last edited by Andy P; 03-12-2014 at 01:55..
Andy P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 17:41   #12
DaleGribble
Well Heeled Bum

Quote:

It's got nothing to do with macho. I was a police officer for five years before I was a paramedic working 911 for another ten years. I've seen just about every way a person can die a violent death from shootings, stabbings, blunt force trauma, auto accidents, aviation accidents to a chemical poisoning that was a mass casualty with hundreds of patients. The only violent form of death I never saw was from explosives. Literally, I was the last person lots of people ever saw before they went lights out forever.

Like I said earlier, it's sad but **** happens and eventually it's gonna happen to all of us. Sorry, but I'm not seeing anything to get broken up over because some sick bastard decided to kill someone else and got the death penalty for it. All that happened was the final outcome got sped up.
Old 03-11-2014, 17:50   #13
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Apparently I don't know many decent human beings outside of the internet and I guarantee I know a lot more people who have killed people than most here. I've never been on the jury, but I have taken part, inside the death house, in carrying out an execution. My description has always been, "about as interesting as watching paint dry."
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 18:08   #14
BEANCOUNTER

I have a very wise aunt who says, "Death penalty? I'm not for it. But harm one hair on my child's head and I'll kill you."
--Will Hayden
BEANCOUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 18:20   #15
Andy123

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleGribble View Post
Pretty much.

If the evidence was convincing enough, I wouldn't spend a second on remorse. If it wasn't convincing enough I wouldn't vote for death. I know that sounds simple but there isn't a whole lot of grey area when it comes to death.

The problem is, you only get to hear the evidence that a few other people decide you get to hear.

There are a lot of things that can and do go wrong in policing and in courts. This is true of all cases. If you wrongly imprison a man, you can let him out. You can't unkill a guy.

For people who support the death penalty, I would ask, how many innocents would you be willing to execute to kill 100 guilty people? 1 per 100? 2?

When is the last time you dealt with a branch of government that screwed things up less than 1 in a 100 times?

"At the end of the game, the king and the pawn are put in the same box."

"The camel dances, and having danced, moves on."
Andy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 19:12   #16
Gun Shark

Send a message via AIM to Gun Shark Send a message via MSN to Gun Shark Send a message via Yahoo to Gun Shark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy123 View Post
The problem is, you only get to hear the evidence that a few other people decide you get to hear.

There are a lot of things that can and do go wrong in policing and in courts. This is true of all cases. If you wrongly imprison a man, you can let him out. You can't unkill a guy.

For people who support the death penalty, I would ask, how many innocents would you be willing to execute to kill 100 guilty people? 1 per 100? 2?

When is the last time you dealt with a branch of government that screwed things up less than 1 in a 100 times?
This is why I waiver so much and usually lean towards the anti's on the death penalty. It is a permanent solution and you can't go "oops, I guess he really was innocent" you can fix 20 years, you cannot fix death.

The flip side of that are people like Mcveigh, dahmer, btk killer, etc.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

"No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms." --Thomas Jefferson

"Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter."
Gun Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 19:15   #17
Gun Shark

Send a message via AIM to Gun Shark Send a message via MSN to Gun Shark Send a message via Yahoo to Gun Shark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
Apparently I don't know many decent human beings outside of the internet and I guarantee I know a lot more people who have killed people than most here. I've never been on the jury, but I have taken part, inside the death house, in carrying out an execution. My description has always been, "about as interesting as watching paint dry."
What if you helped kill an innocent person? Not saying you did, just curious how you would feel after finding out.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

"No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms." --Thomas Jefferson

"Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter."
Gun Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 19:19   #18
Jade Falcon
49er Loyal

I want to thank everyone for taking the time to respond to this thread and give the video a viewing or two. The purpose I had in starting this thread was to get people thinking about a very serious topic, and to open a thoughtful and honest discussion.

In May of last year, I witnessed a double-fatality car accident which occurred 50 feet from my doorstep on a 2-lane neighborhood street. The driver was killed instantly, and the passenger died the next day in the hospital. Alcohol was a factor.

That incident: checking the driver's pulse, and watching the entire scene until the Coroner took the woman away in a body-bag, gave me alot to think about. It made me reevaluate my position on death and life in general. I think that such an incident would have such an effect on anyone here. It made me realize how much I love life; how much I cherish it.

It also made me think about something. Rather: it put something in perspective for me. And that is this: as much as I support the Death Penalty, I also have compassion and empathy for the Condemned. And the show above just reaffirmed that for me. The Condemned are people too. Short of the few actual Psychopaths who get executed, many of these people have feelings; they have remorse; families and children. They have (or had) lives. Surely that can't be something that we can all just write off.

So I agree with what uhlawpup said: such a matter as the Death Penalty should never be taken lightly. We should value all human life, regardless of what mistakes or crimes they've made. And while yes: such people have committed atrocious acts of crime beyond our immediate comprehension, they are still people; human beings. That should give us all food for thought.

I think that China had the right idea with this show.
Old 03-11-2014, 19:35   #19
silentpoet

There are some crimes so vile that the only appropriate response from a truly civilized society is to kill the person who did it.
silentpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 19:41   #20
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade Falcon View Post
I want to thank everyone for taking the time to respond to this thread and give the video a viewing or two. The purpose I had in starting this thread was to get people thinking about a very serious topic, and to open a thoughtful and honest discussion.

In May of last year, I witnessed a double-fatality car accident which occurred 50 feet from my doorstep on a 2-lane neighborhood street. The driver was killed instantly, and the passenger died the next day in the hospital. Alcohol was a factor.

That incident: checking the driver's pulse, and watching the entire scene until the Coroner took the woman away in a body-bag, gave me alot to think about. It made me reevaluate my position on death and life in general. I think that such an incident would have such an effect on anyone here. It made me realize how much I love life; how much I cherish it.

It also made me think about something. Rather: it put something in perspective for me. And that is this: as much as I support the Death Penalty, I also have compassion and empathy for the Condemned. And the show above just reaffirmed that for me. The Condemned are people too. Short of the few actual Psychopaths who get executed, many of these people have feelings; they have remorse; families and children. They have (or had) lives. Surely that can't be something that we can all just write off.

So I agree with what uhlawpup said: such a matter as the Death Penalty should never be taken lightly. We should value all human life, regardless of what mistakes or crimes they've made. And while yes: such people have committed atrocious acts of crime beyond our immediate comprehension, they are still people; human beings. That should give us all food for thought.

I think that China had the right idea with this show.
I most certainly do not value all human life, and I've seen my fair share of death and dying.
For the last time
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
china, death penalty, death row