Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-05-2014, 08:57   #1
China boy

AK Ammo

I want to stock up on AK ammo for the summer. I have my first Ak, an O-PAP. It seems everyone shoots steel case ammo as it is cheap and Aks seem to eat anything. Then I will hear someone say "I wouldnt use that crap in my gun".

For an AK, what could happen if you use cheaper steel case ammo?

What else is there besides steel case available for AKs that isnt expensive?

Is there any AK ammo that everyone should avoid?

Thanks for any replies!
China boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:13   #2
Joshhtn
The eBay Guy

Steel cased ammo is what AK's were made for... Shooting them will have absolutely no ill effect on your rifle. Anyone that says they wouldn't use that crap in their guns (referring to AK's) has no idea what they're talking about.

You can buy brass cased 7.62x39, but you're going to pay more for it than steel, and it works no better.

Just get a few cases of steel cased ammo and go have fun. Don't overthink ammo for an AK.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Joshhtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:15   #3
DaleGribble
Well Heeled Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by China boy View Post
I want to stock up on AK ammo for the summer. I have my first Ak, an O-PAP. It seems everyone shoots steel case ammo as it is cheap and Aks seem to eat anything. Then I will hear someone say "I wouldnt use that crap in my gun".

For an AK, what could happen if you use cheaper steel case ammo?

What else is there besides steel case available for AKs that isnt expensive?

Is there any AK ammo that everyone should avoid?

Thanks for any replies!
Anybody that says they don't run steel cased ammo through an AK is on crack and is a blithering idiot that doesn't know jack shiite about commie guns and should be ignored.

Your AK will eat any steel case ammo known to man. I shoot Wolf and Tula without a problem. Brass cased 7.62x39 is prohibitively expensive so avoid that unless you got money running out of your pores.

My advice, buy it cheap and stack it deep. I can remember, not to long ago, when a 1000 round case of Wolf was $70 bucks. Now you're looking at $225-$250.
DaleGribble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:19   #4
rhino673

Steel is a GO for any AK. Shoot the crap out of it. I can't even begin to guess how many thousands of rounds of steel case ammo has went through my Mak-90 and my VEPR and previously owned AKs with 0.0 problems. The only brass case ammo I have is a couple of cases of Yugoslavian ammo (which is corrosive but shoots very accurate for mil surp ) and a few boxes of soft point commercial hunting ammo.

I do tend to stay away from the HP ammo though. It tends to get hung up on the tip occasionally .
rhino673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:03   #5
captainstormy

Send a message via ICQ to captainstormy Send a message via AIM to captainstormy Send a message via Yahoo to captainstormy
AK's were built for steel cased ammo with bi metal jacket bullets. Buy it and shoot it all you want with no worries.

Now, there is some concern with American guns designed for brass cased ammo with copper plated bullets. Though I saw a really great test done on that once that proved that while it did hurt the barrels and extractors after 10K rounds or so (atleast in an AR-15) but it was still cheaper to buy the steel cased ammo and replace those parts then buy all that ammo as brass cased.

FWIW, I shoot a lot of steel cased ammo out of my GLOCK as well and it's never been an issue.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:07   #6
China boy

Thanks for the quick replies fellas. I wish 1000 rounds were still $70. Id be shooting daily. Im going to buy me some ammo. Right now im refinishing the wood furniture which is taking me longer than expected as I feel I can strip the wood forever and cosmolone still runs out of certain cracks. Ill order some ammo which should come in right when the weather should get warmer for some outdoor shooting.
China boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:59   #7
Leigh

As mentioned, any naysayers are simply misinformed.
In fact, all Russian military weapons made in the last 100+ years were designed for steel-cased ammunition.
Leigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 16:30   #8
adamg01

Golden Tiger is the answer to all of your problems.
adamg01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 11:11   #9
captainstormy

Send a message via ICQ to captainstormy Send a message via AIM to captainstormy Send a message via Yahoo to captainstormy
Speaking of AK Ammo.

Wonder what the odds are that this whole Russia/Ukraine thing and the US and EU talking about sanctions will lead to a ban on importing Russian Ammo.

If that happened Cheap ammo for the AK would pretty much be gone.
Old 03-06-2014, 13:56   #10
JBL13

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainstormy View Post
Speaking of AK Ammo.

Wonder what the odds are that this whole Russia/Ukraine thing and the US and EU talking about sanctions will lead to a ban on importing Russian Ammo.

If that happened Cheap ammo for the AK would pretty much be gone.
I've been stocking up some more with this in mind.

Part of my semi-paranoid psyche wonders if the administration goes through with sanctions that affect AKs and related ammo and parts, they'll keep sanctions on those items intact once sanctions for other items are lifted. Hence, "sneaking in" some more gun control.
JBL13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 14:37   #11
Ballistic
Glock Holiday

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamg01 View Post
Good Stuff that GT.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

I'm your huckleberry
Ballistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 14:44   #12
Joshhtn
The eBay Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamg01 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballistic View Post
Good Stuff that GT.
It's some of my favorite.

Joshhtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 15:00   #13
retired guard

Not meaning to tread in tin foil hat territory. However it does seem kind of odd that we back demos there. Now we know we are not going to strike militarily at Russia, and all this comes down after Kalashnikov announces it wants to sell 200,000 rifles and shotguns in the US and Canada. Awful convenient for a gun controller.
retired guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 00:42   #14
WayaX
Lifetime Membership

Other countries are putting out steel case ammo than Russia. Prices may go up some, but it won't be armageddon.

One thing to note about your O-pap is that it is not chrome lined. You'll probably get accelerated wear from the bi-metal jacket. This will be worse if you shoot a high volume in a short time. That being said, I only run Tula and Wolf in my AKs do to price.
"Throughout history, it has been the inaction of those who could have acted; the indifference of those who should have known better; the silence of the voice of justice when it mattered most; that has made it possible for evil to triumph."

-Haile Selassie I
WayaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 12:49   #15
G23c

prices are dropping for range ammo. starting to see it at $220-230 per 1000 rounds. getting close to my go to number.
G23c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 23:08   #16
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshhtn View Post
Steel cased ammo is what AK's were made for... Shooting them will have absolutely no ill effect on your rifle. Anyone that says they wouldn't use that crap in their guns (referring to AK's) has no idea what they're talking about.

You can buy brass cased 7.62x39, but you're going to pay more for it than steel, and it works no better.

Just get a few cases of steel cased ammo and go have fun. Don't overthink ammo for an AK.

Commie guns are good to go with steel case ammo. I agree. Don't over think ammo in a AK or SKS for that matter.
Old 03-18-2014, 18:05   #17
G23c

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOH212 View Post
Commie guns are good to go with steel case ammo. I agree. Don't over think ammo in a AK or SKS for that matter.
this. and load up on it. "you cannot have too much ammo unless you are drowning or on fire."
G23c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 18:25   #18
jakebrake
cracker

what can go wrong using cheap ammo in an ak...

your accuracy can suffer.

dude...it's an ak. it's not a match rifle.

the thing was made to be cleaned in a relatively clean puddle. steel cased ammo is fine. it's also relatively cheap.

that's the other point of an ak.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:20   #19
knoxrocks222

The Kalashnikov KlubThe Kalashnikov Klub

All I shoot is steel case through my m92, and I mean 10s of thousands of rounds
Old 03-19-2014, 16:05   #20
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Somebody needs to lift the ChiCom import ban that Klinton put in place. I remembered the days of dirt cheap NORINCO ammo in a multitude of calibers.