SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-27-2014, 14:51   #1
Marcus Unrealious
Great Sage

()&*@%# drive right, america!

Why is it Americans think they should get in the left lane of traffic and set cruise control under the speed limit?!

The Germans get it, they call it Drive Right. You dont coast in the left lane, you pass. And coming up behind faster than them, if you flash the lights, they move over. There is courtesy and people do not impede traffic.

Here, we have 85 MPH speed limits on outlying highways. But people still get in the left lane, and just cruise away at 70 to 75. Even in town, drivers are regularly under the speed limits in the left lane.

Its annoying.

Marcus Aurelius
Marcus Unrealious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 14:53   #2
el_jewapo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Unrealious View Post
Its annoying.
Yes it is. They all seem to be Glocktalk members too and they'll be along directly to defend the practice.
el_jewapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 14:55   #3
JBnTX
Texas

That's why I have a horn and a middle finger.
JBnTX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 14:58   #4
Huaco Kid

The New England area is the WORST!

(Three lanes of 65 / 70 mph interstate, with three cars side-by-side going 60 mph, with two miles of bumper-to-bumper traffic behind them during rush hour.)
Huaco Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 14:59   #5
Marcus Unrealious
Great Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_jewapo View Post
Yes it is. They all seem to be Glocktalk members too and they'll be along directly to defend the practice.
How does one defend this? The left lane is a passing lane, so there can be very little defense. And while I am complaining....

Marcus Aurelius
Old 02-27-2014, 14:59   #6
Booker

Where do they 85mph speed limits?
Booker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 15:00   #7
el_jewapo

Quote:
How does one defend this? The left lane is a passing lane, so there can be very little defense. And while I am complaining....
I don't know, but it happens here every time someone starts a thread on the subject. Trolling I guess.
Old 02-27-2014, 15:06   #8
Marcus Unrealious
Great Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booker View Post
Where do they 85mph speed limits?
The Great State of Texas. We are trying for a new motto: "Texas, not for wimps..."

Marcus Aurelius
Old 02-27-2014, 15:19   #9
skeeter7
Brass Vulture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huaco Kid View Post
The New England area is the WORST!

(Three lanes of 65 / 70 mph interstate, with three cars side-by-side going 60 mph, with two miles of bumper-to-bumper traffic behind them during rush hour.)
That's what I usually deal with on the weekends when I go out with the family. So glad I work at night during the week. No stress ride because no one is around.
NECC #401
skeeter7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 15:21   #10
elsolo

Quote:
The left lane is not just for passing, in some places with minimal traffic they have that, but not everywhere.

"Slower traffic keep right" is the other way it is done.

Unfortunately, most people are selfish inconsiderate jerks that think there place in life is to be the highway pace car. The rest are just completely clueless.
elsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 15:42   #11
Marcus Unrealious
Great Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsolo View Post
The left lane is not just for passing, in some places with minimal traffic they have that, but not everywhere.

"Slower traffic keep right" is the other way it is done.

Unfortunately, most people are selfish inconsiderate jerks that think there place in life is to be the highway pace car. The rest are just completely clueless.
I actually think they do it because it forces others to negotiate around them. If others are passing them, then they can run on cruise control because they themselves will not come up behind someone. But it is rude, unsafe and unfortunate.

Marcus Aurelius
Old 02-27-2014, 15:48   #12
whitetiger7653
NRA Life Member

Fortunantely I haven't had to drive many highway miles as of late. But today I did and I instantly was thinking the same thing. It has always annoyed me very much as well. Florida has recently enacted a law making it illegal. But I dont think enough people realize this yet. Today I had to pass EVERYONE in the slow lane on a three lane (in this direction)highway.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

whitetiger7653 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 15:50   #13
Harper

Quote:
Why is it Americans think they should get in the left lane of traffic and set cruise control under the speed limit?!
Because the law is almost never enforced.
Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 15:51   #14
captainstormy

Send a message via ICQ to captainstormy Send a message via AIM to captainstormy Send a message via Yahoo to captainstormy
I'll Admit I hog the left lane but I usually am doing over the speed limit.

I really don't think its a passing lane thou, its just another lane.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Ohub Campfire mobile app
Old 02-27-2014, 15:57   #15
el_jewapo

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainstormy View Post
I'll Admit I hog the left lane but I usually am doing over the speed limit.

I really don't think its a passing lane thou, its just another lane.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Ohub Campfire mobile app
Do you move over if someone is coming up behind you doing more over the speed limit than you are?
Old 02-27-2014, 16:00   #16
glockeglock

Well Marcus, because the media has taught us that you are the problem.

In the 80's, Sam Donaldson taught us that you have road-rage. I remember he and his cameraman set up in the back of a van, which they drove slowly in the left lane during rush hour on a busy Virginia freeway. Every time someone flashed their headlights to request they move over, Donaldson screamed, "See! Road rage!" He said the same about people who honked and about those who worked their way around their right and resumed travel in the left lane. He especially enjoyed the ones who gave him the bird. That a large number of people were reacting in this fashion, was not an indication that he was doing something wrong, but evidence of a serious anger problem in America.

Then the rest of the media lap dogs nodded in unison and road rage became a media theme. Sam Donaldson and his minions continued to preach that you are the problem. That those who fail to understand or care about courtesy, safety or efficient driving practices are not the problem. You are.

So the idiots feel entitled and superior in their media taught ignorance. Your efforts to communicate are simply proof of your anger issues and rage, for which you need treatment and about which they are entitled to be offended by, ignore and exacerbate.

(Just to be clear, I agree with Marcus and believe Sam Donaldson to be an asshat.)

Last edited by glockeglock; 02-27-2014 at 16:18..
glockeglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 16:00   #17
airmotive
Tin Kicker

Of course, in Germany you will be ticketed for passing on the right.
Which I also agree with.
Old 02-27-2014, 16:02   #18
el_jewapo

Quote:
Originally Posted by airmotive View Post
Which I also agree with.
I don't agree with the passer getting the ticket. The person getting passed should get the ticket.
Old 02-27-2014, 16:07   #19
Huaco Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by airmotive View Post
Which I also agree with.
I spend much of my work-week on the interstates. I can go for an hour, or more, in the right lane. I pass hundreds of trucks and cars. The right is "the new left".

Why do semis, nowadays, insist on driving in the middle lane on an empty freeway? You can't go through them. You can't pass on the right. Therefore, they force a three-lane freeway into a one-lane freeway.
Huaco Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 16:08   #20
Dave514

With the freeze/thaw demolishing truck damage to the right lane of roads that need repair I can understand someone rolling in the left lane as long as no one is around. If I come up behind your numbnuts and flashing my lights doesn't get it. I will pass on the right(not legal) and I will tell you that you're "#1". I hate those people.