Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-15-2014, 10:02   #121
Merlin40
Merlin40

I was a .45 guy for lots of years. 20 of them in the US Navy. I carried a Colt 1911, as well as a Springfield. Also a Taurus. You could not talk me into a .40 back then, as it was a comparatively "new round". Now that I'm older, (and wiser) I find the .45 a little heavy to carry, and shoot. Do the ballistics on the .40.......I now run a SIG SP2022 in .40. I load Hornady Critical Defense 135 Grain JHP, for SD. I practice with Whitebox 180 Grain FMJ. Nothing wrong with a .45, but, as I said, I have old hands, and a bit of arthritis, So I find the .40 easier to shoot. 12+1 has an advantage over 7+1....I'll (God willing) probably never NEED 13 rounds, but it's good to know I have that capability, should the situation call for it.

Last edited by Merlin40; 03-15-2014 at 10:10..
Merlin40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 10:06   #122
Teecher45

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
There's a reason you can find 40 ammo...
Yep, I don't ask why, I'm just happy that it's always in stock.
And currently the same price as 9, still much cheaper than .45.
It's kinda like gas for your vehicle. If I were to pull in to fill up and they were out of 87 octane but told me they have 93 for the same price, I'd be happy. Same price, better performance.
Old 03-15-2014, 10:17   #123
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortyofforty View Post
These are all handgun rounds. Every damn one of them. .45. .40. 9mm. 10mm. .357. .38. Handgun rounds. Not a damn one of them is guaranteed to produce the magical "one shot stop" every time. Not a one. There are horror stories about the failure of just about each one to produce a stop even with multiple hits, and the more they are carried and shot, the more horror stories there are that will emerge. Carry what you like. Don't like a caliber, don't buy it. Let the marketplace work. Every handgun caliber is a compromise.
It's just fun discussion is all. That's what the forum is all about.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 13:13   #124
fortyofforty
Narcissist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
It's just fun discussion is all. That's what the forum is all about.
I know, but some get so emotionally wrapped up in one caliber over another it's unbelievable.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
to save animals! Gun Rights are Civil Rights.
fortyofforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 14:39   #125
barth
six barrels

Quote:
I know, but some get so emotionally wrapped up in one caliber over another it's unbelievable.
Handguns are under-powered by nature.
We would all be better served with an AR/AK or 12 gauge.
But we can't easily walk around in public and conceal a shoulder weapon.
So we carry handguns.

IMHO any service caliber will serve you well.
Carry what you shoot the best.

Last edited by barth; 03-20-2014 at 14:40..
barth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 17:27   #126
bac1023

Quote:
I agree.

All the service calibers are very similar in performance. I'm not a 40 fan in the least, but it has nothing to do with performance of one vs the other.

bac1023 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 18:20   #127
Militant Gay

My feelings on the .40 cal have changed a little bit over the years. My first gun was a G23. I thought .40 was the be-all-end-all when it came to calibers. Anything smaller was ineffective and anything bigger was unnecessary. However, after shooting other calibers, I prefer 9mm these days. The .40 is a proven effective caliber. And if that's what somebody prefers then they certainly aren't making a bad decision.

But after shooting the 9mm more, I just don't think that increased snappiness and reduction in capacity is worth it, especially if you're using quality defense ammunition. At the end of the day, a bullet is still a bullet and I don't want to be on the wrong end of any of them. I just think that, with proper modern defense ammo, the 9mm is plenty effective. I still have my G23 and always will, but the G19 has become my preference.
Militant Gay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 21:07   #128
wesleysmith
New Guy

Send a message via Skype™ to wesleysmith
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmanta View Post
I wouldn't say I hate it, but I see it as an upstart caliber for people who can't decide if the want the power of a .45, or the capacity of a 9mm.
That was more or less how I came to buy mine. It was a larger caliber/high capacity option so I could start my collection in the middle and work my way towards whatever tickled my fancy. It's looking like the .45 acp next, as soon as my bank account repopulates a little bit!
Old 03-23-2014, 10:36   #129
Glock 23 Nutter

Well...

I Hate that my G23 acts like a double-stack .45 ACP in a 9mm Euro frame.

Round - Muzzle Velocity/ Muzzle Energy/ Ballistic Coefficient/ Sectional Density:

.45 ACP/230 gr. - 890 fps/ 400 ft-lbs/ 0.143/ 0.162
.40/180 gr. ---- 1,000 fps/ 400 ft-lbs/ 0.143/ 0.161

That is all.

Nutter
Glock 23 Nutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 13:10   #130
wesleysmith
New Guy

Send a message via Skype™ to wesleysmith
Quote:
Originally Posted by impreza_GC8 View Post
I have a theory that the majority of people who dislike .40 are of a certain age range where they already had a lot of experience (and probably a hefty stockpile) of the other calibers. Thus there was no need to change. Its true that if I already had a closet full of 9mm and .45 cal and had been shooting that for many years why would I buy and supply myself with another caliber. I will go out on a limb and possibly put myself under fire for saying this but I think that a lot of folks who are my age (under 30) are the ones who might like the .40 cal the most. Again this is all just a theory and I could be totally wrong. Those of us who got into handguns later on and did research on what caliber we wanted, used the internet to shop, etc. For me the decision to go .40 was made during the ammo shortage. I sold my 9mm pistol that I had at the time because there was never any on the shelf but there was always some sort of .40. That holds true even today. .40 is still more available than 9mm at my local guns stores. Now that things have calmed down I have resumed my 9mm shooting but only in the form of a G26 for deep carry and a conversion barrel for my G23 so that I can train with 9mm. I still carry it loaded with .40 Hornady Critical Defense.
I'm actually of the mindset that I have no need for the .45 cal load. Modern 9mm loads are quite impressive with their expansion. The .40 takes it even further with minimal drop in capacity. I am hard pressed to buy anything in .45 cal. The increased recoil, decreased capacity, and more time between shots doesn't appeal to me.
The more I think about it the more I like this answer. It may not be true in all cases, but, if years down the road, after I've built up a nice gun collection, they came out with a middle of the road cartridge between two i already own and a bunch of people tried to argue to me about why it's the end all cartridge, I might get a little argumentative also.

Tags
.40 40 glock s&w, .40 glock, .40 s&w, caliber, s&w 27 23 35