GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-17-2014, 10:29   #21
JMS

I was about 50 feet away from this person when they got hit by lightning. I don't remember feeling anything, as soon as I heard the sound I thought a bomb had gone off.

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/199...struck-stadium

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by JMS; 02-17-2014 at 10:30..
JMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 10:42   #22
LippCJ7

I think it is very possible, but you need to understand how lightning works, electrons come from the cloud and form multiple paths, meanwhile the very same thing occurs from earth only the electrons are the opposite charge, the path that meets first then discharges and you have lightning.

The issue here is that when you have multiple paths that are pretty close to meeting the discharge point they can all discharge at some level, and therefore all have enough energy discharge to disrupt a persons nervous system and or kill them so to think that lightning hits one point can be true lightning can also hit multiple points.

The advent of high speed photography in the field reinforces this,

Notice how you see many charged paths coming from the cloud, but at some point the electron path is completed and you have a stronger strike on one path over the others.

In this video you can see the same thing only in this case the lightning path is from earth to cloud..

The important part to remember is the branches at the ends, these are electron paths that discharge to the main, no different then if the lightning went from cloud to earth, branches can be on the cloud side or earth side, and easily have enough power to kill a person.

When you climb communications towers in the west, you kind of learn about lightning, obviously you do not want to be on a tower when it gets hit, but towers get hammered by lightning, we spend a huge amount of time mitigating lightning damage, probably more then anything else, but it comes down to simply giving lightning a path to ground that is better then any other path, least resistant, if you are the least resistant path, you are in trouble...

Last edited by LippCJ7; 02-17-2014 at 10:47..
LippCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 10:54   #23
G19Tony
CLM Number 3
Sneet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade Falcon View Post
This guy is LUCKY! Or unlucky, depending on how you look at it. I guess lightning really does strike twice...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X14e9Fwxa8w

Anyone else here have any lightning stories?
Wow!

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of those who threaten it.

"What's the point of living the majority of your life preparing for that last little bit?"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
G19Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 10:57   #24
Reyn
Times Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpgor View Post
Dang.
Reyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 11:12   #25
The Fist Of Goodness

My dad was playing baseball when he was 11 or 12, and a kid on the opposing team was struck by lighting while standing at second base. He was killed, and a lot of the players on the field were knocked down. My dad was playing first base, and ended up on the ground.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Ohub Campfire mobile app
Old 02-17-2014, 11:17   #26
Santa CruZin
RIP Mr. Mayor

On the way to the cables at Half Dome in Yosemite:

The Okie Corral
Old 02-17-2014, 11:49   #27
Jade Falcon
49er Loyal

Quote:
Originally Posted by LippCJ7 View Post
When you climb communications towers in the west, you kind of learn about lightning, obviously you do not want to be on a tower when it gets hit, but towers get hammered by lightning, we spend a huge amount of time mitigating lightning damage, probably more then anything else, but it comes down to simply giving lightning a path to ground that is better then any other path, least resistant, if you are the least resistant path, you are in trouble...
So what the hell do you do when you're 1,200-1,700 feet up in the air, and a T-storm pops up? Hold on and hope for the best? Or do you try and make it down as quickly as possible?
Old 02-17-2014, 13:30   #28
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade Falcon View Post
This guy is LUCKY! Or unlucky, depending on how you look at it. I guess lightning really does strike twice...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X14e9Fwxa8w

Anyone else here have any lightning stories?
If not faked....You have to start thinking about how you live your life.
Old 02-17-2014, 16:19   #29
RonS

I was sort of struck by lightning. When I was in the Air Force in the 70's I was directing traffic after a hugely popular movie at the base theatre during a heavy rain storm. I was in the middle of the intersection that lead out to Gate 1 and also to the base housing area. Things were flowing well although I was standing in a running stream of water from the downpour. That is the last thing I remember till I woke up in the back seat of the cruiser. Lightning had struck the road about a mile away toward the gate where the land was flat and the trees had been cut back away from the road. Apparently it traveled up the road and passed through me. My partner said he heard my whistle blow and I jumped up into the air and fell down. I have no idea how long I was out. Another unit had arrived and taken over traffic so it must have been a few minutes. Of course back then no one thought of taking me to the hospital or anything since I wasn't bleeding. I don't remember much of the rest of the shift, if I stayed at work or went home.

My grandfather was near two lightning strikes, one as a young man on the farm in Ohio a nearby tree was struck and he lost a great deal of hearing that never came back, and later in his 70's in Florida he was standing in the well house waiting the the PM thunderstorm to blow over when lightning struck the steel door frame. He got some hearing back from that, the doctor said that it had broken some of the bones that had fused after being broken the first time all those years before.
Old 02-17-2014, 17:08   #30
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonS View Post
I was sort of struck by lightning..
Well, that explains a lot......

Seriously, that must have hurt.
Old 02-17-2014, 17:15   #31
vikingsoftpaw

It's legit.

I experienced a lightning strike a few months ago. It was a couple of hundred yards away, while I was in the shower. I felt a tingling all over and couldn't move for a few seconds.

Another time I was in large tent with several others in a rainstorm. We we all holding the tent down because of the wind. Lightning struck about 100 yards away. We all jumped off the ground at the same time yelling Sheeeeet as we all felt like some zapped us with 100v.

"Though defensive violence will always be 'a sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." - St. Augustine

Last edited by vikingsoftpaw; 02-17-2014 at 17:16..
vikingsoftpaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lightning strike