Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-17-2013, 08:43   #1
Cavalry Doc
Platinum Membership
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Military Retirement redux

Now don't get me wrong. I'm not complaining about my retirement getting cut 9 years after I kept my side of the bargain, but I want to know why no one else is being asked to get into the austerity pool with us.

I retired in 2006. I'm currently 45. The new plan sets COLA's to 1 percent BELOW inflation. They are currently set at the rate of inflation, and if there isn't any, it does not increase. Not sure what happens if there isn't any inflation in the future. If there is at least 1% inflation over the next 20 years, my retirement will be worth 15% less than it currently is when I'm 61,if I live past 62, I might get a catch up, if they don't renig on that too. I stand to lose tens of thousands of dollars over the next 17 years.

Oh well. The country is broke, and something must be done. My question is why are they breaking promises and not cutting benefits that people get for doing nothing? Why aren't food stamps, welfare, WIC, unemployment, Social security (including disability), housing subsidies, business and farm subsidies also being cut one percent per year? Why are current federal employees not taking a hit, and are grandfathered (and I'm one of those too)?

I understand that we don't have an income problem, we have a spending problem, and we need to spend less.

I don't mind doing my share to decrease spending, I'd just like to invite everyone into the austerity pool with me.

[/rant]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
--Gunhaver
Don't let the guys quoted above contact your reps more than you.

Last edited by Cavalry Doc; 12-17-2013 at 08:44..
Cavalry Doc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:44   #2
SC Tiger
Some say...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalry Doc View Post
Now don't get me wrong. I'm not complaining about my retirement getting cut 9 years after I kept my side of the bargain, but I want to know why no one else is being asked to get into the austerity pool with us.

I retired in 2006. I'm currently 45. The new plan sets COLA's to 1 percent BELOW inflation. They are currently set at the rate of inflation, and if there isn't any, it does not increase. Not sure what happens if there isn't any inflation in the future. If there is at least 1% inflation over the next 20 years, my retirement will be worth 15% less than it currently is when I'm 61,if I live past 62, I might get a catch up, if they don't renig on that too.

Oh well. The country is broke, and something must be done. My question is why are they breaking promises and not cutting benefits that people get for doing nothing? Why aren't food stamps, welfare, WIC, unemployment, Social security (including disability), housing subsidies, business and farm subsidies also being cut one percent per year? Why are current federal employees not taking a hit, and are grandfathered (and I'm one of those too)?

I understand that we don't have an income problem, we have a spending problem, and we need to spend less.

I don't mind doing my share to decrease spending, I'd just like to invite everyone into the austerity pool with me.

[/rant]
Votes.

Sorry for the issues you are having - vets should not have to go through this.

Quote:
If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

Last edited by SC Tiger; 12-17-2013 at 08:45..
SC Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:45   #3
devildog2067

You want the short answer? There are more people like them than there are people like you, and votes are votes.
devildog2067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:46   #4
GVFlyer

Quote:

I retired in 2006. I'm currently 45. The new plan sets COLA's to 1 percent BELOW inflation. They are currently set at the rate of inflation, and if there isn't any, it does not increase. Not sure what happens if there isn't any inflation in the future. If there is at least 1% inflation over the next 20 years, my retirement will be worth 15% less than it currently is when I'm 61,if I live past 62, I might get a catch up, if they don't renig on that too. I stand to lose tens of thousands of dollars over the next 17 years.

[/rant]
Well put. The people that have done more (or at least something) for their country, get less.

What's the moral?

GVFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:48   #5
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:

[/rant]
Doc it really is simple. DOD is discretionary spending. Social welfare programs are mandatory spending.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:51   #6
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
What Is The Difference Between Mandatory And Discretionary Spending?

The authority for discretionary spending stems from annual appropriation acts, which are under the control of the House and Senate Appropriations Committees. Most defense, education, and transportation programs, for example, are funded that way, as are a variety of other federal programs and activities. Those appropriations are subject to a set of budget enforcement rules and processes that differ from those that apply to mandatory spending. As the Congress considers appropriation acts, CBO tallies the budget authority those acts would provide and estimates the outlays that would result.

Mandatory—or direct—spending includes spending for entitlement programs and certain other payments to people, businesses, and state and local governments. Mandatory spending is generally governed by statutory criteria; it is not normally set by annual appropriation acts. Outlays for the nation’s three largest entitlement programs (Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid) and for many smaller programs (unemployment compensation, retirement programs for federal employees, student loans, and deposit insurance, for example) are mandatory spending. Social Security and some other mandatory spending programs are in effect indefinitely, but some (for example, some agriculture programs) expire at the end of a given period. Roughly 60 percent of federal spending in 2012 (other than for the government’s net interest costs) was mandatory. Legislation that changed direct spending would, by itself, affect the budget deficit because no further legislative action would be required for the change in spending to occur.
http://www.cbo.gov/about/our-products/ce-faq
Maybe that will help
Old 12-17-2013, 08:52   #7
Peace Warrior
CLM Number 221
Am Yisrael Chai

110% on your side OP!!! You deserve every last dime and then some.

Hyper inflation is coming, and from what I can gather thus far, this rescheduling of military retiree's benefits is a way to avoid the "hyper-increases" once the inflation here in America starts going ballistic.

BTW- Truth Journalism sites have been predicting this exact thing for years now, and yet the mainstream propaganda outlets nary said a word and are now reporting on this as if it is some normal thing occurring to all Americans as if we have to bite the proverbial bullet in these "hard economic times."

-PW
"Nothing we're gonna do is going to fundamentally alter or eliminate the possibility of another mass shooting or guarantee that [our gun ban legislation] will bring gun deaths down..." - VPOTUS Joe Biden
"Love 'Em All!!! Let Jehovah sort 'em out." - The Holy Bible
"It's a lot simpler to fool people than it is to convince them they've been fooled."

Last edited by Peace Warrior; 12-17-2013 at 08:53..
Peace Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:53   #8
CAcop

You're a public employee. You're supposed to do it because it is a calling. Pay and benefits aren't supposed to matter to you.
I wonder if your assessment of "The Wizard of Oz" would sound something like "A teenaged orphan runs away with three psychotic AD/HD patients and a little dog. She kills the first two women she meets." --Sinecure 07/03/2006
Freakin' awsome!! Kickin it old school. Hot sheet on the dash. The report was probably only two sentences. Long live Rencko and Bobbie Hill!--WhiskeyT
CAcop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:54   #9
johnd

Send a message via ICQ to johnd
You gave but you are outnumbered by the gimme entitlements people... they are the ones with low voterIQ and the votes.
The politicians sold us out a long time ago and are hooked on votes and reelections to keep their own special deals in place.
You dont stand a chance against the entitlement crowd.
Next they will take or reduce VA bennies as its too easy to take from those who quietly serve.

Although Im here now ( legally) for a long time my service didnt count back in England, Africa and Vietnam and also means squat here. The English figured a long long time ago how to screw over its servicemen simply by neglecting them. This is the plan thats unfolding here now.

Last edited by johnd; 12-17-2013 at 08:58..
johnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:54   #10
aircarver
Silver Membership
Ride Continues

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog2067 View Post
You want the short answer? There are more people like them than there are people like you, and votes are votes.
Doc, I'm sorry to say DD nailed this with one short sentence ...

They'd created a vast, permanently unemployed underclass, dependent upon the Republic's stupendous welfare machine for its very existence, and in so doing, they'd sown the seeds of their own destruction. No one could place two-thirds of a world's population on the Dole and keep them there forever without the entire system crashing . . . but how in hell did one get them off the Dole? -David Weber, Flag in Exile
aircarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 09:09   #11
G19Tony
CLM Number 3
Sneet

I retired from the Reserves, so I don't get anything until I'm 60. I'm not sure I'll get any retirement at all by then.

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of those who threaten it.

"What's the point of living the majority of your life preparing for that last little bit?"

G19Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 09:24   #12
Cavalry Doc
Platinum Membership
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiedfunds View Post
Doc it really is simple. DOD is discretionary spending. Social welfare programs are mandatory spending.
But that is an arbitrary categorization. It is all discretionary.

--Gunhaver
Don't let the guys quoted above contact your reps more than you.

Last edited by Cavalry Doc; 12-17-2013 at 09:24..
Cavalry Doc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 09:25   #13
Peace Warrior
CLM Number 221
Am Yisrael Chai

Quote:
Originally Posted by G19Tony View Post
I retired from the Reserves, so I don't get anything until I'm 60. I'm not sure I'll get any retirement at all by then.
If it don't happen by 2017, you might be right.
"Nothing we're gonna do is going to fundamentally alter or eliminate the possibility of another mass shooting or guarantee that [our gun ban legislation] will bring gun deaths down..." - VPOTUS Joe Biden
"Love 'Em All!!! Let Jehovah sort 'em out." - The Holy Bible
"It's a lot simpler to fool people than it is to convince them they've been fooled."
Peace Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 09:27   #14
willie_pete
NRA Life Member

Lindsay Graham is not happy with this. It's a toss up if this will pass the Senate or not. Let's hope it fails.

WP

NRA Instructor in Pistol, Advanced Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, PP In/Outside the Home, Metallic/Shotshell Reloading, Chief RSO, Certified Glock Armorer, NRA Life Member
willie_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 09:28   #15
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
But that is an arbitrary categorization. It is all discretionary.
Read the information I provided. It explains why. It isn't arbitrary.

DOD is an annual appropriation. That makes it something that is up for negotiation annually. Each year is a new year, from an appropriation standpoint.

Welfare programs are funded by statute. That requires a change in law to reduce. Their funding just "happens"

If the law stated that DOD shall be funded at x levels with increases of y% annually, or based on some other formula, that would be different.

In my opinion, all spending ought to be discretionary because one Congress binding another is bad juju.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:36   #16
brob2425

This will be a controversial opinion I'm sure, but I believe we need to redo the VA compensation system. We currently spend $50 billion in compensation payouts annually. For those that were drafted. It's somewhat understandable but for the vast majority of veterans these days that voluntarily joined, it's a matter of risk vs reward. You get free education, free medical, free housing, free food at the chow hall or a monthly stipend to cover food, etc.. The risk is you enter a physical and potentially dangerous job. If you're able to work, you should not be drawing disability comp. it's no different than welfare and those that abuse it.

Before anyone tries to flame me, I am a combat veteran who just so happens to believe veterans are not entitled to anything other than what was in their contract.
brob2425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 09:39   #17
Dennis in MA
Get off my lawn

Lets take owed and deserved out of this for a second. I don't want to get caught up in that debate.

COLA'd pensions are nukulur cancer to the future of this country. They were created when people died at 66. Now that they live until 96, we are fudged overall. The military retirees are not exempt from the financial constraints of a new paradigm in mortality.

That said, I feel bad for you, Doc. You will get a make-up at 62. It is the interim that you have to worry about.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:45   #18
KevinFACE

Quote:

[/rant]
As one guy above me said, Votes, and fear of uprising.
KevinFACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 10:02   #19
markerbeacon

I’m in the same leaky Boat as you, Government employees (Active, Retired, etc.) always get the Large End of the Baseball Bat shoved up where the Moon don’t shine when it comes to Pay. We’re easy targets.

I recall being told long ago several statements that hold true today.

1. Anytime you depend on the Government for anything, you’re going to be disappointed.

2. We punish people for doing a good job.

3. Expect to pay the most for the least amount of goods and service.
markerbeacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 10:04   #20
F106 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by brob2425 View Post
This will be a controversial opinion I'm sure, but I believe we need to redo the VA compensation system. We currently spend $50 billion in compensation payouts annually. For those that were drafted.
I guess I missed something. We haven't drafted anyone in decades; probably never will again. If there is a draftee drawing retirement benefits (not disability), it is because they reenlisted multiple times.

I was drafted and I'm not collecting benefits. I did my 2 years and took my discharge. The VA did help me buy my first house and they helped put me through college. The government made a tidy profit on the college thing.

I am in the "don't cut the veteran's benefits camp". But there are other public employees who are getting hammered far worse than a small COLA.

Is it true that in Texas, college is free to veterans? I think I read that somewhere. I wish it were universal. It's the very least a state can do.

Richard