Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-16-2014, 08:40   #1
Marcus Unrealious
Great Sage

When did 18 wheeler's start becoming 14 wheedler's?

So I ajhave seen them on the road a couple of times with trailers. Now I see them being shipped more and more.

When did the industry move to 14 wheeler tractor / trailer rigs?

The Okie Corral

The Okie Corral

Marcus Aurelius

Last edited by Marcus Unrealious; 02-16-2014 at 08:41..
Marcus Unrealious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:50   #2
lethal tupperwa

probably saves on tolls

----------------------------------------

GLOCK CERTIFIED ARMORER
lethal tupperwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:57   #3
njl

Quote:
Originally Posted by lethal tupperwa View Post
probably saves on tolls
I doubt it. It's the same number of axels...just really fat tires. I wonder if they're using runflats...or if surviving a flat was the reason for double-tired wheels on the rear wheels?
Old 02-16-2014, 09:06   #4
Atomic Punk

dont know timeline, other than recently. main reason most companys use them is increased mpg. the super single tires and aluminum wheel reduce a lot of weight. from personal experience, the SS tires do awesome in the snow and ice. a full set of chains is easier to put on ( no middle rail ) . they are not too bad for running flat. discovered i had gotten a puncture in the last few hours getting to a delivery. had one totally out of air. after dropping the trailer i drove about 15 miles to a TA for a fix. had no issues driving.
Atomic Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 09:12   #5
engineer151515

Glad you noticed it. Interesting innovation and it can result in consequential weight savings.
engineer151515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 09:20   #6
Glock45Lover

deleted

21 Club Member #4500.

Last edited by Glock45Lover; 02-16-2014 at 09:27..
Glock45Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 09:22   #7
jakebrake
cracker

saves weight, but sucks if you lose a tire.

front discharge concrete mixers switched tot these ages ago. saves you from mud jamming between the duals.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:25   #8
Dennis in MA
Get off my lawn

Looks like they wheedled 4 wheels off them things.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:29   #9
GlockPride
Glock 23

Pete's been offering these since at least 2008. One wider tire is more expensive, but less than buying two. Some trailers are also going to this. Less expensive in the long run and less maintenance.
Eph6:12 For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.13Therefore put on the full armor of God
GlockPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 10:31   #10
Jackalo626

These have been around for a while but not the way the industry is going by any stretch.
Jackalo626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 10:33   #11
Jackalo626

When did 18 wheeler's start becoming 14 wheedler's?

A problem that govt has implemented is however the DEF additive. Nothing but a huge headache with tons of problems and huge service issues costing each truck big money and downtime.

Last edited by Jackalo626; 02-16-2014 at 10:34..
Old 02-16-2014, 10:34   #12
Powder

First I have seen them was back in 2008........
Old 02-16-2014, 10:37   #13
Rutha73

I have heard it has more of a footprint than a dual wheel set which distributes weight more and you get a bigger contact patch for traction.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:47   #14
Marcus Unrealious
Great Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis in MA View Post
Looks like they wheedled 4 wheels off them things.
wheedled.... ha ha.... I cant type!

So the tolls are also reduced on these? I thought tolls went by axle count.

Marcus Aurelius
Marcus Unrealious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 10:52   #15
jakebrake
cracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackalo626 View Post
A problem that govt has implemented is however the DEF additive. Nothing but a huge headache with tons of problems and huge service issues costing each truck big money and downtime.
d.e.f. is tame...shall we discuss the entire "regeneration system" idea?

how to turn a peterbilt into a lot marker.

and the 13 letter ****spreaders are already problematic...throw in a regen system, and they are just worthless.
Old 02-16-2014, 11:02   #16
EdTracker
Lifetime Membership

As AP said it is the advent of the super single tire. Less weight, less rolling friction and strong enough to do the job.

Work with a company designs and makes lots of custom trailers with SS tires, it is a popular custom option. It is an industry trend.

GTDS

"Don't retreat, just reload"
Sarah Palin
EdTracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 11:06   #17
Jackalo626

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebrake View Post
d.e.f. is tame...shall we discuss the entire "regeneration system" idea?

how to turn a peterbilt into a lot marker.

and the 13 letter ****spreaders are already problematic...throw in a regen system, and they are just worthless.

Def is tame maybe to a guy paying for one truck in their minds. Paying for a fleet is different. The downtime is the problem for business and dispatch because it is frequent. I am with you on all of the other new additions that make things more complicated and less reliable. I am not against the cleaning up of pollution but lets do it with working ideas and not smacking tests and prototypes on our trucks and calling them "systems". Just wait until the trucks get some use on them since the problems are less with the trucks being newer and likely to have less problems with less use. Ps I hear you about the Peterbilt trucks. I bet you could call a Peterbilt owners wife a whore and his truck ugly and get the ass whipping over the truck comment first and foremost.
Old 02-16-2014, 11:14   #18
waawaaweenie

I had some back in 2005 that the guy I was working for at the time got suckered into buying after he was told they would save 1000 lbs and increase mileage.

they may have been around 400 lbs lighter but I had lo pro 22.5's and aluminum wheels inside and out to begin with.

they are terrible in the rain, hydroplane very easily. never ran them in the snow.

at the time only Michelin made them and when you lost one it was the same as losing two high dollar Michelins and those are the highest priced tires for trucks.

we had another truck with them on the trailer and he lost one in the hills east of San Diego and he was stuck there for 8 hours as no one had any in stock to do a road side repair.

boss got rid of them quickly after that.

they may be better now as there are more manufacturers and wider distribution. and they may be OK for trucks that are just local or only on main freeways that can be rescued quickly but I prefer the dual tire system since you can limp a flat a long way to get it fixed faster or even complete your delivery on time.

also you can always pick up a used tire if need be at any tire shop to get you home as opposed to these being pretty difficult to find used
waawaaweenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 13:59   #19
ateamer
NRA4EVR

I remember reading a copy of American Trucker magazine back in the mid 80s, and there was a readers' poll about super singles. The overall result was that drivers didn't like them.
Know-it-all
ateamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 17:36   #20
JuneyBooney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Punk View Post
dont know timeline, other than recently. main reason most companys use them is increased mpg. the super single tires and aluminum wheel reduce a lot of weight. from personal experience, the SS tires do awesome in the snow and ice. a full set of chains is easier to put on ( no middle rail ) . they are not too bad for running flat. discovered i had gotten a puncture in the last few hours getting to a delivery. had one totally out of air. after dropping the trailer i drove about 15 miles to a TA for a fix. had no issues driving.
That is very interesting.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Cool songs:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Cool car:
JuneyBooney is offline   Reply With Quote