Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-17-2014, 13:10   #1
capnjim01

Resumes

I'm applying for jobs online and sending in resumes to the employers e mail. Should I include a cover letter or is the resume enough? I've always heard that one page is better than more, the person reading the e mail doesn't like to take up their time reading several pages. Keep it short and to the point.
capnjim01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 15:05   #2
hkg3
Beer Geek

It is best to always include a one page cover letter with your resume for any position. Your cover letter is tailored to provide additional information or clarify why your previous experience on you resume applies to the postion. One page is generally preferred for cover letter length.

If the company to which you are applying has a web based application system, you should submit your resume and cover letter through their system. My previous company will not even consider any application that does not go through their website.

Just my $0.02 and good luck,

Mike
Old 02-17-2014, 15:07   #3
John Rambo
Raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnjim01 View Post
I'm applying for jobs online and sending in resumes to the employers e mail. Should I include a cover letter or is the resume enough? I've always heard that one page is better than more, the person reading the e mail doesn't like to take up their time reading several pages. Keep it short and to the point.
I used to include a cover letter. I stopped. I noticed no difference in the amount of responses I got. Now, shortening my resume to 3 pages and cramming all the buzzwords I could into it, that made a difference.
John Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 15:15   #4
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Cover letters are hardly looked at any more, unless you're applying for a specific position and want to tell the employer why you'd the be their best choice.

Either way, it doesn't hurt.
Old 02-17-2014, 15:24   #5
OldSchool64
Platinum Membership

Quote:
I'm screwed, been thinking about writing a resume in paragraph form.
The result just might be a publishable paperback

Atleast I have a kinda decent job for now,
and a seasonal lay off during the summer months
OldSchool64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 15:25   #6
GeorgiaGlocker
Incirlik AB

If they ask for a cover letter, send one. If they don't, it's up to you.
Old 02-17-2014, 15:32   #7
Bren
NRA Life Member

I do read resumes and hire people (attorneys). In my opinion, if you don't send a cover letter, you aren't serious about the job, so I am not interested in wasting time on you. As for the one page, it may be different with atttorneys, but if your resume fits on one page, you haven't done much. I don't care for the "keep it to one page" rule and I think it's nonsense made up by somebody who is hiring new college graduates in low level business jobs.
Bren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 15:33   #8
professorpinki
Bumbling idjit

Unless they say not to, it's better to send a cover letter explaining why you're a good choice and how you will contribute to their team. The resume itself should be one page, unless you're applying for something where you have lots of experience and relevant certifications.

Least, that's what I was always told. Then again, I was always told to double space after the period, and apparently that's wrong (unless you're using Courier).

Last edited by professorpinki; 02-17-2014 at 15:34..
professorpinki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 16:18   #9
Padre

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchool64 View Post
I'm screwed, been thinking about writing a resume in paragraph form.
The result just might be a publishable paperback

Atleast I have a kinda decent job for now,
and a seasonal lay off during the summer months
I've always been told (and successfully used) the following formula:
Use the KISS method (Keep it Short & Simple). No more than 2 pages MAX.
Your resume is an INTRODUCTION, not your life story. It's used to get your foot in the door, so you can actually get an interview.
Cover letters...always.
Just my $.02, your mileage might vary.
Old 02-17-2014, 16:37   #10
devildog2067

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
As for the one page, it may be different with atttorneys, but if your resume fits on one page, you haven't done much. I don't care for the "keep it to one page" rule and I think it's nonsense made up by somebody who is hiring new college graduates in low level business jobs.
It just depends. My academic CV is almost 7 pages. My resume is a single page. I've seen many resumes of C-level executives a F500 companies, and generally they're a single page as well.
devildog2067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 16:40   #11
OldSchool64
Platinum Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padre View Post
I've always been told (and successfully used) the following formula:
Use the KISS method (Keep it Short & Simple). No more than 2 pages MAX.
Your resume is an INTRODUCTION, not your life story. It's used to get your foot in the door, so you can actually get an interview.
Cover letters...always.
Just my $.02, your mileage might vary.
I can relate to that, and thanks.

I've come to the conclusion that no matter how many different jobs I may be qualified for I should only include experience & qualification that would be directly related to the position I would be apply for.

I also agree that a cover letter should be sent.
OldSchool64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 17:26   #12
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
It depends.
1. What field/position?
2. How many years have you been doing what you do?
3. Is it through Dice or Monster?

I am currently getting good results with no cover letter, and an excessively long resume. Then again, I have 18 years in IT/IT Sec./IT Audit/Management. It is clear when you look at my resume, I am more qualified than the guy who can only put together a 1 page resume.

As a hiring manager, I toss all cover letters without looking at them. This is pretty standard for my industry.
Old 02-17-2014, 18:41   #13
capnjim01

The field is financial I have been doing it for 16 years and it is not through Dice or Monster it is a local company.

I sending this to one of the principals if they want to scroll down past the cover letter then they will.

Last edited by capnjim01; 02-17-2014 at 18:45..
Old 02-17-2014, 18:46   #14
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
The field is financial I have been doing it for 16 years and it is not through Dice or Monster it is a local company.
Write the cover letter.

Can you fill 2 pages front and back with useful information? If you can then that is the length the resume needs to be.
Old 02-17-2014, 18:55   #15
capnjim01

Yes. Thanks to everyone for the input.
Old 02-17-2014, 19:02   #16
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

One more thing. Linkedin.com

The financial people I know are all over linkedin. You may interview poorly. Your resume may be crap. But if Bob's your uncle, you will get the job over the other guy.