Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-16-2014, 21:51   #1
attrapereves

Backup

Curious about how many backup their computers.

As a graduate student, it is imperative that I keep my stuff. A collegue had his Master's thesis on a flash drive which got washed in his laundry. Luckily he had emailed it to his professor, so he had a sort-of backup.

I backup my home folder to an external hard drive weekly and also back it up to Amazon S3. I have pictures that are priceless. My music is also really important to me.

I'm not really worried about the entire hard drive as I can easily reinstall the operating system and copy my personal files over.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:38   #2
Shiloh228

www.idrive.com
Old 02-17-2014, 12:04   #3
sputnik767

Back when I had a desktop PC as my daily use computer, I ran an SSD for the main OS and applications, and a regular hard drive for data. So even if something catastrophic happened to the SSD (virus, etc) and I had to wipe and start over, my data was always untouched on the second drive. Now, my main computer is a MacBook Pro, and the PC is doing HTPC duties. So even though it still has the same 2 hard drive configuration, there isn't anything on there that I can't stand to lose.

The Mac is backed up via Time Machine to an external drive. Any important documents and all videos/pics/music/etc is stored on my NAS, with FTP access from anywhere in the world as well as SAMBA access and DLNA on my internal network. Works seamlessly with the Mac, PC, and my Android devices. Important documents are also stored on Google Drive for convenience of access. The NAS also holds the system image of my PC. Should I need to start over, I will be up and running in less than 10 minutes.

The NAS is currently nothing more than a USB 2.0 drive plugged into my router. When I find time (and prices come down a bit), I will build a dedicated NAS server, with 2 hard drives running in RAID 1 for redundancy. Should one drive fail, the other drive is an exact copy. Once I replace the bad drive, the server software will automatically synchronize the two.

Last edited by sputnik767; 02-17-2014 at 12:08..
sputnik767 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 12:14   #4
tom mac

I use a backup USB hard drive... easy to switch from one computr to another.
Important info at least once a month if not twice
tom mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 14:26   #5
FL Airedale
Dog Breath

I use carbonite. I also keep a backup of all my photos on two external hard drives. One of them I keep at work.
I used to be a people person but people ruined that for me.
FL Airedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 16:06   #6
attrapereves

For you linux folks, I just use rsync (basically syncs one folder with another). I just sync the home directory on my computer with the home directory on my external hard drive. Unfortunately this doesn't allow for retrieving deleted files. That's why I make monthly images (.tar.gz) of my home folder.