Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-04-2009, 05:19   #1
ducdungt

LED upgrade for Glock tatical light?

Hi Everyone. I have a Glock light model GTL22 and would like to upgrade its light bulb with a led. Is there anywhere to sell the led module?
Thanks for your help
Peter
ducdungt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 13:58   #2
DLEE25
Go Cubs

I don't think a Glock light LED upgrade exists. I wanted an LED so I ended up buying a TLR-1. Pity, cause the Glock light would be alot better if it used an LED, but I don't think improving the Glock light is on their top priority list.
DLEE25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 13:06   #3
Bushidomosquito

Why does anyone even bother with regular bulbs anymore? LED's are up in the 180-200 lumen range now and that's more than enough to work with any man portable firearm. They also don't suck power like the Krypton Halogen old bulbs do. Unless you need to light up a whole field and have a cigaret lighter ti plug it into why bother?
Bushidomosquito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 16:41   #4
C5GreaseMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLEE25 View Post
I don't think a Glock light LED upgrade exists. I wanted an LED so I ended up buying a TLR-1. Pity, cause the Glock light would be alot better if it used an LED, but I don't think improving the Glock light is on their top priority list.

Really? I think the TLR's look way sexyer then the glock models
Old 01-25-2009, 10:59   #5
Jose 357
San Jose, Ca

Not really

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushidomosquito View Post
Why does anyone even bother with regular bulbs anymore? LED's are up in the 180-200 lumen range now and that's more than enough to work with any man portable firearm. They also don't suck power like the Krypton Halogen old bulbs do. Unless you need to light up a whole field and have a cigaret lighter ti plug it into why bother?
I would have to disagree with the 180-200 lumens part. Not even with flashlights like the 6P/9P. The only vender that gives out lumen output emitted is Surefire. Everone else gives you LED lumens which is alot less than actual lumens. The only LED whether it be for a Surefire 6P/9P that make over 200 lumens is the Malkoff M60/M30 and his P7. The Cree R2 Cree Q5's will make only 120 to 140 lumens, but could make up to 200 with 4 battery setups or when handmade and you control the Amp draw.

YOu can see the actual lumen readings of many of youre favorate flashlights here:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=211402
Old 01-27-2009, 12:02   #6
AJ Dual

AFAIK, there are no LED upgrades for the incandescent GTL lights. I looked into it myself as well. Mainly the problem is that most LED upgrades for tactical lights are for those that are compatible with the quasi-standard of the SureFire 6P lamp assembly, where the LED and the reflector are all one unit.

The GTL lights just have a plastic plate with two holes in it to mount the bi-pin bulb, just a larger version of the bulbs in the Mag Insturments Mini Mag. I'm not sure of the technical designation for that bulb, (ex. A1-Bg5 etc.) but if you search on that + LED upgrade, you might find something.

With some careful grinding and fitting, (or maybe an O-ring if it's too small.. no idea how it would fit...) and a pair of solderd on wires to go into the bi-pin bulb holes, you could try stuffing this in your Glock light: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.11836 However, it's not a mod that I'd ever do to a "trust my life with it" light. I'm only considering it because my GTL-10 rides on my Kel-Tec Sub9 carbine to "pimp it out" and tacti-cool decorate it a bit.
Old 01-27-2009, 18:26   #7
glockfanbob

Tagged........just in case someone has rigged one themselves and shares.
glockfanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 12:45   #8
chevrofreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose 357 View Post
I would have to disagree with the 180-200 lumens part. Not even with flashlights like the 6P/9P. The only vender that gives out lumen output emitted is Surefire. Everone else gives you LED lumens which is alot less than actual lumens. The only LED whether it be for a Surefire 6P/9P that make over 200 lumens is the Malkoff M60/M30 and his P7. The Cree R2 Cree Q5's will make only 120 to 140 lumens, but could make up to 200 with 4 battery setups or when handmade and you control the Amp draw.

YOu can see the actual lumen readings of many of youre favorate flashlights here:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=211402
There are plenty of 2 cell lights making 180+ lumens with a Cree Q5. The Fenix, T1, TK10 and TK11 all make at least 180 lumens out the front.
smoke free since 4:58AM July 29th 2002!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
<-- currently 0 auction(s) running

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
The best IWB holster money can buy!
chevrofreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 13:42   #9
Bushidomosquito

Even 120 is enough for a handgun and most long gun applications unless you are expecting to fry vampires with it. I have a nothing special LED flashlight rated at 80 and it will light up a whole room or the whole backyard. My point was that the light output of bulb lights like the ones in a Glock light is not so much to make up for the fact that they burn out, break, suck power and heat up. I want it to work when I need it to, not be dead because the light was tossed in the glove box a little to hard.
Bushidomosquito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 14:43   #10
Jose 357
San Jose, Ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevrofreak View Post
There are plenty of 2 cell lights making 180+ lumens with a Cree Q5. The Fenix, T1, TK10 and TK11 all make at least 180 lumens out the front.

I was refereing to weaponlights and P60 drop-ins, but yes The Fenix T1 made 225 in the link I posted but it will not be P60 compatible.

I purchased a G&P weaponlight and have shoot 357sig, 10mm, 40 S&W, and 9mm Glocks with the light mounted with no issues. I am still trying to make it water proof, but it will accept any P60 drop-in. Currently I have the Malkoff M60 in it.

The weaponlight cost $42 delivered from most ebay venders.
The LED cost $60 bucks from Malkoff Devices, but you get 225 confirmed and tested Lumens.
I have also used it with The R2 and Q5 from Deal Extreme which are $10 to $12 each. Closer to 150 Lumens. I have a co-worker that has found a circuit to make them crank out 200 plus lumens ( changing the amp draw to 1.4amps as opposed to 1amp).
Old 01-28-2009, 14:46   #11
Jose 357
San Jose, Ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose 357 View Post
I was refereing to weaponlights and P60 drop-ins, but yes The Fenix T1 made 225 in the link I posted but it will not be P60 compatible.

I purchased a G&P weaponlight and have shoot 357sig, 10mm, 40 S&W, and 9mm Glocks with the light mounted with no issues. I am still trying to make it water proof, but it will accept any P60 drop-in. Currently I have the Malkoff M60 in it.

The weaponlight cost $42 delivered from most ebay venders.
The LED cost $60 bucks from Malkoff Devices, but you get 225 confirmed and tested Lumens.
I have also used it with The R2 and Q5 from Deal Extreme which are $10 to $12 each. Closer to 150 Lumens. I have a co-worker that has found a circuit to make them crank out 200 plus lumens ( changing the amp draw to 1.4amps as opposed to 1amp).

FYI: When purchasing LED's the Lumens are dictated by the Amp draw. If you get 1.2amp draw you get 235 lumens. Some custom hand made LED's can be more efficient and the modder will tell you the amp draw is less (less heat generated), but the output is still the same....

I currently am looking into Getting a Deal Extreme R2 and pushing it to draw 1.4amps. I have to do it custom but it should make 300 lumens and be all throw aka one tight blinding hot spot...
Old 12-28-2009, 23:52   #12
mister happy
Lefty

Bump - any movement on a LED version of the Glock Tactical Light?
mister happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 09:41   #13
Jim

Still hoping...
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 10:19   #14
AggiePhil
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The GLOCK light is outdated in more ways than just its bulb design. Take it off, stick it in the closet, and buy yourself a $100 Streamlight TLR-1 with CREE LED technology. You won't look back.
AggiePhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 21:03   #15
robotoid

Bump it up for more interest. The Glock GTL may be outdated, but it was made for Glocks and just looks right on them, like part of the gun instead of an add on. I also like that it is thinner and more compact that the other lights currently available, with the batteries stacked vertically instead of horizontally. Someone must have a custom mod idea.
robotoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 21:12   #16
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AggiePhil View Post
The GLOCK light is outdated in more ways than just its bulb design. Take it off, stick it in the closet, and buy yourself a $100 Streamlight TLR-1 with CREE LED technology. You won't look back.
Good point,.....
But, a Glock Tac light will not make a G22 fail like a TLR-1!
faawrenchbndr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 21:16   #17
robotoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by faawrenchbndr View Post
Good point,.....
But, a Glock Tac light will not make a G22 fail like a TLR-1!
Thanks, I had forgotten the most important part. I already tested my G22 out with GTL, no malfunctions in 100 rounds, many intentionally limp wristed for testing purposes.
robotoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 23:01   #18
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
NRA Life Member

robotoid,....sounds like you got a GOOD one. Dang weird how
some will FTE and some will not.
faawrenchbndr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 19:30   #19
AJ Dual

Just FYI, I ordered the http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.11621 cheap P60 lamp compatible LED module. It's pretty certain it will be larger than the bezel, but I'm working on a way to cram it in there. At under $9, I'll take a chance at destroying it in the name of science.

I'm not certain if the OAL is too long even with the springs cut off, but the width of the unit at about 26mm is too wide to fit in the bezel. Fudging with a Harbor Freight calipers which is only graduated in inches, the inner diameter of the GTL 10 bezel seems to be 21-22mm.

I'm thinking I can grind down the reflector until it fits since it'll reduce in diameter as it's conical both inside and out. And it might buy me some more on the OAL to cram it in there and leave room for me to retrofit some leads to it.

My main concern is pulling out the stock reflector as that seems to be glued in behind the outer bezel and the lens. I might try and get that apart with a pair of strap wrenches and maybe some strategic boiling. A trick I learned at Candlepowerforums for disassembling other lights for upgrade.
Old 02-04-2010, 19:33   #20
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member

The LED Upgrade for a Glock light, is a TLR-1 C4.
Sights, Optics and Lasers