SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-04-2014, 01:45   #1
Jade Falcon
Gimmie TITANS!

The Katana and the Old Masters

I've always admired, even loved, Katana swords. I find the making of such swords by the Old Masters to be absolutely beautiful. I could sit and watch these videos for hours! Just watching these men take a clump of nothing and turn it into a work of art worth thousands of dollars is nothing short of astounding. It really makes you admire these "Masters of Steel".

In this documentary, the Forge Master talks about how he will sit for days and just "listen" to the forge. He "feels" when the steel is at the right stage to move on to the next.

I consider it a life goal to visit an origional forge where these swords are made by hand. And to own one would be a blessing too.

I can't even imagine what the apprenticeships are like in Japan. You've got to train for years! I would gladly do it.

Enjoy!
Old 03-04-2014, 01:55   #2
Eric
Big Giant Head

Am I the only one that immediately thought of an old Suzuki crotch-rocket, when he saw the word 'katana'?

Anyway, I love shows/videos like that as well. I love pretty much any kind of documentary/show that covers the manufacturing of things, but the ones I like best cover true craftsman plying their trade. I would love to be able to beat out blades like those guys, but a man could spend a lifetime developing those skills.

I am more into knives, than swords, but that is probably because the types of swords I would want yo own, would cost a lot more than I need to be spending on such things. My knife addiction is expensive enough.
Old 03-04-2014, 01:58   #3
Batesmotel

I love the traditional way of forging, but Tamahahene is far inferior to crucible steel. A few smiths are making incredible katanas from modern steel. Some people consider this heresy, others the natural evolution of the art.
Old 03-04-2014, 02:00   #4
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

The hammer and the forge are the purest way to describe how value is added to something (actually making bricks for housing is...but I like the image of the metal smith better)

Whenever you get mad as hell about it all, grab your rifle and head outside. If you are the only one there...it's not time yet

"Few men desire liberty; most men wish only for a just master." - Sallust
Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 02:07   #5
Batesmotel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post
The hammer and the forge are the purest way to describe how value is added to something (actually making bricks for housing is...but I like the image of the metal smith better)
Iron sand and fire to polished steel had to seem like magic to the ancients.
Old 03-04-2014, 02:13   #6
Eric
Big Giant Head

This is the closest thing to a sword that I own.

The Okie Corral

I put the 1911 8-round magazine in, to give it some scale. It is a Boker Combat Smatchet. The Smatchet was a knife used by some allied special operations troops in WWII.

The Smatchet does actually fall into the low end of the parameters of an ancient type of short sword known as a Xiphos. This type of short sword goes back thousands of years. It isn't an elegant weapon, like the Katana. It's a brawler. It is designed to hack off limbs.

I've thought pretty seriously about taking the basic Smatchet design and name it thicker and six inches or so longer. Turn it into a good size Xiphos. I'm not sure if there would be a market for such a thing, but I would love to own one. It's much to ambitious a project for me to tackle right now, but I would like to give it a try, one day.
Attached Thumbnails
The Okie Corral - Click for larger version  
Old 03-04-2014, 02:18   #7
Jade Falcon
Gimmie TITANS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
This is the closest thing to a sword that I own.

The Okie Corral

I put the 1911 8-round magazine in, to give it some scale. It is a Boker Combat Smatchet. The Smatchet was a knife used by some allied special operations troops in WWII.

The Smatchet does actually fall into the low end of the parameters of an ancient type of short sword known as a Xiphos. This type of short sword goes back thousands of years.

I've thought pretty seriously about taking the basic Smatchet design and name it thicker and six inches or so longer. Turn it into a good size Xiphos. I'm not sure if there would be a market for such a thing, but I would love to own one. It's much to ambitious a project for me to tackle right now, but I would like to give it a try, one day.
I challenge your Boker to my Ka-Bar 8" Tanto M1245.
The Okie Corral

Last edited by Jade Falcon; 03-04-2014 at 02:18..
Jade Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 02:26   #8
Eric
Big Giant Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade Falcon View Post
The Okie Corral

Actually, I have a Schrade knife that would take a piece of that action.

The Okie Corral
Attached Thumbnails
The Okie Corral - Click for larger version  
Old 03-04-2014, 02:29   #9
Jade Falcon
Gimmie TITANS!

Quote:
Actually, I have a Schrade knife that would take a piece of that action.

The Okie Corral
*puts Ka-Bar back in Sheath* lol, okay, okay! You win! Just don't hack me with that thing!
Old 03-04-2014, 02:37   #10
Eric
Big Giant Head

Quote:
*puts Ka-Bar back in Sheath* lol, okay, okay! You win! Just don't hack me with that thing!
One day, I want to create a Xiphos that is roughly the shape of the Smatchet, about six inches longer and with a shank thickness of around 5/16", but with longitudinal splines milled into the the spine of the blade. This would both lighten it and name it much more rigid. I doubt I'll ever forge my own blade, but I could see myself milling a short sword like this, on a CNC mill.
Old 03-04-2014, 02:40   #11
Eric
Big Giant Head

Quote:
The Okie Corral
BTW, I love that Tanto. I have a shorter Ka-Bar combat knife, that is all black like your Tanto. For the money, it is a tough, high-quality knife. Ka-Bar is making some really interesting products. I am going to have to find me one of those Tantos now. Thanks a lot.
Old 03-04-2014, 02:52   #12
Jade Falcon
Gimmie TITANS!

Quote:
BTW, I love that Tanto. I have a shorter Ka-Bar combat knife, that is all black like your Tanto. For the money, it is a tough, high-quality knife. Ka-Bar is making some really interesting products.
Thanks bro. I fell in love with it the first time I saw it at Excalibur at the local mall before they went out of business. If memory serves me correctly, I believe they wanted over $100 for it, and I couldn't justify the price at the time. So I looked online, and picked this one up new from CheaperThanDirt (yeah, I know, they're not popular right now; save it for another time please). I believe I paid about $60 after shipping. A great deal! I can't decide if I want to make it my car knife (to prevent any potential car-jackings), or if I want to make it a bed-side knife. It's razor sharp, and the tip is like a needle. The first thing I did when I got it, was walk outside, toss an apple up in the air, and...well, it was no test. The apple didn't stand a chance.

Quote:
One day, I want to create a Xiphos that is roughly the shape of the Smatchet, about six inches longer and with a shank thickness of around 5/16", but with longitudinal splines milled into the the spine of the blade. This would both lighten it and name it much more rigid. I doubt I'll ever forge my own blade, but I could see myself milling a short sword like this, on a CNC mill.
Good luck with that. Me, I'm too lazy to make my own; except if it were an apprenticeship or job. So the past couple of days, I've been looking at more Ka-Bar knives, and I'm thinking about picking up a "Big Brother" 9-inch Bowie. This would be my "SHTF/Bug-Out/Harsh Chores/Field" knife. It's a monster blade.

The Okie Corral

My only complaint is that, with the saw on the spine, it's not very good if you have to baton a piece of wood to chop firewood with. Otherwise, it's a great knife. This version has the leather handle; I'd probably opt for the kraton handle.
Old 03-04-2014, 02:59   #13
Eric
Big Giant Head

Quote:
Thanks bro. I fell in love with it the first time I saw it at Excalibur at the local mall before they went out of business. If memory serves me correctly, I believe they wanted over $100 for it, and I couldn't justify the price at the time. So I looked online, and picked this one up new from CheaperThanDirt (yeah, I know, they're not popular right now; save it for another time please). I believe I paid about $60 after shipping. A great deal! I can't decide if I want to make it my car knife (to prevent any potential car-jackings), or if I want to make it a bed-side knife. It's razor sharp, and the tip is like a needle. The first thing I did when I got it, was walk outside, toss an apple up in the air, and...well, it was no test. The apple didn't stand a chance.

Good luck with that. Me, I'm too lazy to make my own; except if it were an apprenticeship or job. So the past couple of days, I've been looking at more Ka-Bar knives, and I'm thinking about picking up a "Big Brother" 9-inch Bowie. This would be my "SHTF/Bug-Out/Harsh Chores/Field" knife. It's a monster blade.

The Okie Corral

My only complaint is that, with the saw on the spine, it's not very good if you have to baton a piece of wood to chop firewood with. Otherwise, it's a great knife. This version has the leather handle; I'd probably opt for the kraton handle.

I have just been cruising Ka-Bar's website. I had no idea how much their product line had grown. They have 99 different knives in their military/tactical section alone. They are making some great stuff. It is a tough product with good quality, but it isn't so pricey that you would worry overly about putting them to work. Good stuff.
Old 03-04-2014, 03:00   #14
Eric
Big Giant Head

Quote:

The Okie Corral

BTW, here is their large tactical Bowie:

The Okie Corral

Me likey.
Old 03-04-2014, 03:04   #15
Eric
Big Giant Head

I have always liked Kukri-style knives, like the Ghurka soldiers carry. I've owned many different versions. I like this Ka-bar rendition.

The Okie Corral
Old 03-04-2014, 03:07   #16
Eric
Big Giant Head

This is the Ka-Bar Becker Combat Bowie. I'm going to get one of these.
The Okie Corral

This is a nine inch blade, with an overall length of almost fifteen inches. I really like big knives.
Old 03-04-2014, 03:11   #17
Jade Falcon
Gimmie TITANS!

Quote:
BTW, here is their large tactical Bowie:

The Okie Corral

Me likey.
Yeah, I was just eyeballing that bowie on CTD's website. They've got some great deals on there right now. The Big Brother is going for $85, whereas I think it's going for over $150 MSRP (I could be wrong on that...). That's an awesome deal!

Also, check out this bad ass blade! The CRKT Hisshou:

The Okie Corral

Most knife stores are selling it, with the case, for over $250. If you can get it for $200, it's considered a REAL good deal.

Guess what? CTD has them being sold, with the case....for $89!! That's it! Frickin steal of a lifetime!

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/2-CRK2907

In all fairness, I'm not entirely sure if they (CTD) sells it with the box. It would be nice if they did! And as I understand it, CRKT sends out the box with each one they make.
Old 03-04-2014, 03:12   #18
Jade Falcon
Gimmie TITANS!

Quote:
I have always liked Kukri-style knives, like the Ghurka soldiers carry. I've owned many different versions. I like this Ka-bar rendition.

The Okie Corral
Beware: it's made in Taiwan. For some, that's a deal breaker.
Old 03-04-2014, 03:14   #19
Eric
Big Giant Head

Quote:
Yeah, I was just eyeballing that bowie on CTD's website. They've got some great deals on there right now. The Big Brother is going for $85, whereas I think it's going for over $150 MSRP (I could be wrong on that...). That's an awesome deal!

Also, check out this bad ass blade! The CRKT Hisshou:

The Okie Corral

Most knife stores are selling it, with the case, for over $250. If you can get it for $200, it's considered a REAL good deal.

Guess what? CTD has them being sold, with the case....for $89!! That's it! Frickin steal of a lifetime!

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/2-CRK2907

In all fairness, I'm not entirely sure if they (CTD) sells it with the box. It would be nice if they did! And as I understand it, CRKT sends out the box with each one they make.

I think I like this Ka-Bar Becker Combat Bowie better than the other Ka-Bar tactical Bowie.

The Okie Corral

I'm going to go to bed, before I start spending money.
Old 03-04-2014, 03:16   #20
Jade Falcon
Gimmie TITANS!

Quote:
I think I like this Becker Combat Bowie better than the other tactical Bowie.

The Okie Corral
It's nice for sure, but it's not my type. I kinda like the look of the Big Brother. But either one would do well for heavy-duty chores. If anything, the Becker is probably thicker at the spine, thus, stronger.

lol, I should head to bed too. Night night!

Last edited by Jade Falcon; 03-04-2014 at 03:17..
Jade Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forge, japan, katana, sword