GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-16-2014, 00:51   #101
countsk

Not sure if I'm a Confederate sympathizer or not but I do share one thing in common with the former Confederacy....I think America would be better served with stronger state governments and a decentralized federal government. You could make a valid argument that the Confederacy had a better grasp of our founders intent than "true Americans".
countsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 01:29   #102
Gray_Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by G29Reload View Post
No he did not. They were all free.

Please read or make a copy of said proclamation and post it here word for word. Thanks.

Ohhh, and "Read the books". (Click on my avatar!)

Gray_Rider

Last edited by Gray_Rider; 02-16-2014 at 01:45..
Gray_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 01:46   #103
Stubudd

Quote:
Originally Posted by countsk View Post
Not sure if I'm a Confederate sympathizer or not but I do share one thing in common with the former Confederacy....I think America would be better served with stronger state governments and a decentralized federal government. You could make a valid argument that the Confederacy had a better grasp of our founders intent than "true Americans".
Really. These guys must be in hog heaven glorying at obama running all over everybody. So far he's managed to do it less the blood of a million americans than lincoln. He must be a real hero.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Stubudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 01:53   #104
Syclone0538

Syclone0538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 02:42   #105
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

I just.... No.
For the last time
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 03:00   #106
Tiro Fijo

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray_Rider View Post
Please read or make a copy of said proclamation and post it here word for word. Thanks.,,

It proclaimed the freedom of slaves in the ten states that were still in rebellion.
Tiro Fijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 03:35   #107
clancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post

Let me pose a fairly rational question. What if Lincoln would not waged war? Slavery would have ended anyways. (not an excuse) it was a doomed institution. The theories as to what would have happened are never ending but one thought is the north would have collapsed under it liberal weight a lot sooner (as it has done in a lot of cases) without the south to buoy it in a lot of ways, the North and South might have reconciled on pretty peaceful/economic terms without the loss of so many people.

Slavery was not a doomed institution in the CSA. It was guaranteed in their constitution that slavery could never be outlawed.
clancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 04:03   #108
Tiro Fijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy View Post
Slavery was not a doomed institution in the CSA. It was guaranteed in their constitution that slavery could never be outlawed.

I think the Rabbi meant that it was doomed from a moral as well as an economic standpoint, which is correct.

A large majority of the educated Southerners, including Robt. E. Lee, despised slavery, but the bigger issue for them was what to do with millions of manumitted slaves if indeed manumission had been granted without a war.
Old 02-16-2014, 04:13   #109
Stubudd

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBlue View Post
Yes

No, If the documents of succession didn't explicitly mention slavery, then I would agree with you, but from the Souths prospective it was all about slavery.

This being said, if someone came after my property, I would have issue with it also.
No, it was about money, and control. Control of money. Just like everything other war.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 02-16-2014, 04:13   #110
GlockFan7

North-South relations and race relations would not have been the same had Lincoln not been assassinated. Reconstruction was handled all wrong and we'll all pay for it for centuries.
GlockFan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 04:25   #111
Gray_Rider

Problem being there was no expected slave revolt that the EP was written for and realeased to forment, and there never was even through the death throes of the Confederacy.

Slavery built every nation on earth at one time or another but it is only "evil" when it was practiced in the Antibellum South, where slaves were purchaced not stolen.

No one has yet advised me as to how the two irreplacible staples of this country's founding, could have been produced without the introduction of slavery. Cotton and Tobacco could have not been produced in the quantities needed without the introduction of slave labor. There were no machines that could have done the work. Cotton and tobacco was the currency of the South for decades on end and the colonies before that. Whites did not have the numbers or the health that could produce tobacco and later cotton needed and clear millions of acres of raw wilderness to produce it to start with.
Slavery WORKED when nothing else would or did, and every state in the union was involved with it in one way or another till it became unprofitable. IE in the more industrialised North. Cotton and tobacco could not have been produced in the needed amounts without it, because machines were not yet invented that could replace the millions of man hours it required.

It worked. Admit it. Accept it. Get over it. And no. The war wasn't fought to stop it.

Read Lincoln's inagurual address. He promises war on any state not accepting the new tax that would have bankrupted the South.

But all this and much much more is in the books....

Gray_Rider

Last edited by Gray_Rider; 02-16-2014 at 04:32..
Gray_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 05:09   #112
Tiro Fijo

Gray Rider, I have nothing against you personally, however your pseudo Neo-Confederate views are delusional and founded on historical "tripe" by non peer reviewed historians who have no penchant for objectivity and ignore primary historical accounts by Confederate leaders as well as others of the period in question.

Anyone doubting this can read the previously locked thread here:

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show...ight=Dragoon44
Old 02-16-2014, 05:14   #113
Stubudd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiro Fijo View Post
Gray Rider, I have nothing against you personally, however your pseudo Neo-Confederate views are delusional and founded on historical "tripe" by non peer reviewed historians who have no penchant for objectivity and ignore primary historical accounts by Confederate leaders as well as others of the period in question.

Anyone doubting this can read the previously locked thread here:

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show...ight=Dragoon44
You're saying the american civil war was about slavery and calling somebody else delusional for posting historical tripe? That's beautiful.

Old 02-16-2014, 05:45   #114
Jade Falcon
49er Loyal

Just throwing in my 2 cents...

For me, it's not about the Confederacy. For me, it's about Abraham Lincoln, our 16th President. For me, it's utter disgust at those here who hate or despise the man. What the hell is wrong with you? It's almost like you idiots are glad that he got a .44 Caliber ball shot to the back of the skull. Go to hell!

I've ALWAYS admired, almost loved, Abraham Lincoln. I love his work, his speeches, and his writings. And those that don't just plain godamn piss me off.

Get out of the country if you have no love for the man! Without him, I'm convinced that this country would be well down **** creek by now; probably overrun with Commies, Nazis, or Japs. Is that the kind of country you would want to be living in right now? And NO, despite our dislike of our current president, he is NOT a complete Communist. I'm not defending him, but believe me: it would be much worse if Pol Pot, Mao, Hitler, or Mussolini had had their way with this country.

Let me ask you this: who else, in 1860, could have led this country and kept the United States together, if not Lincoln? The answer is simple: NOBODY.

Those whom spit at the feet of this great and honorable man deserve neither respect or admiration. Instead, they get exactly what they deserve; what they yearn for: sympathy for the Confederacy.

You LOST! Get over it.

Last edited by Jade Falcon; 02-16-2014 at 05:47..
Jade Falcon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 05:57   #115
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
You better read some history...the proclamation would be a good start. He only freed slaves in those parts of the south that rebelled (the idea being to create an internal slave rebellion). Some states - Kentucky for example - still had perfectly legal slavery even after the end of the civil war, up until the 13th Amendment became law.
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 06:02   #116
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batesmotel View Post
I understand the whole southern pride thing. I lived there.

However the entire culture they are pining for is long gone and even back then was only possible because of the institution of slavery.

They want to relive the myth of the south without acknowledging it was all based on slavery.
Then, no, you don't understand it. If you did, you'd understand that everybody involved in gun rights is a confederate sympathizer, as is everybody concerned about the federal government, the NSA, the IRS, immigration, etc.

The culture the south wanted, and we want back, is just one where states have more rule of themselves and the feds are as strictly limited as they were before the war/Lincoln. Tennessee, for example, made slavery illegal by state law, during the war, but they continued to side with the confederacy and fight the union - that was not about slavery and plantations.

If you have convinced yourself "the South" was about that tiny minority who lived on plantations, owned slaves and grew cotton, then you don't even begin to get it. Those were not the people who joined up to fight the Yankees, so ask yourself why the poor were fighting for the south and why that doesn't add up to the myth you have been fed.

Last edited by Bren; 02-16-2014 at 06:03..
Old 02-16-2014, 06:07   #117
frank4570
Feral human

You forgot the part about Lincoln and the indians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade Falcon View Post

For me, it's not about the Confederacy. For me, it's about Abraham Lincoln, our 16th President. For me, it's utter disgust at those here who hate or despise the man. What the hell is wrong with you? It's almost like you idiots are glad that he got a .44 Caliber ball shot to the back of the skull. Go to hell!

I've ALWAYS admired, almost loved, Abraham Lincoln. I love his work, his speeches, and his writings. And those that don't just plain godamn piss me off.

Get out of the country if you have no love for the man! Without him, I'm convinced that this country would be well down **** creek by now; probably overrun with Commies, Nazis, or Japs. Is that the kind of country you would want to be living in right now? And NO, despite our dislike of our current president, he is NOT a complete Communist. I'm not defending him, but believe me: it would be much worse if Pol Pot, Mao, Hitler, or Mussolini had had their way with this country.

Let me ask you this: who else, in 1860, could have led this country and kept the United States together, if not Lincoln? The answer is simple: NOBODY.

Those whom spit at the feet of this great and honorable man deserve neither respect or admiration. Instead, they get exactly what they deserve; what they yearn for: sympathy for the Confederacy.

You LOST! Get over it.

For too long people have said "screw NY, IL, etc" or "that'll never happen here." Yes, it will eventually. If we dont start standing up together now, it will never stop.-ilgunguygt
frank4570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 06:31   #118
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade Falcon View Post

Well, then, there's no reason for me to start liking you. We'd be a better country if that POS had never been elected. I can't believe a gun owner would be a Lincoln fan, but I guess some vote Democrat and love their all-powerful federal government and just have guns for a hobby.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:32   #119
Atlas
transmogrifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
Then, no, you don't understand it. If you did, you'd understand that everybody involved in gun rights is a confederate sympathizer, as is everybody concerned about the federal government, the NSA, the IRS, immigration, etc.

The culture the south wanted, and we want back, is just one where states have more rule of themselves and the feds are as strictly limited as they were before the war/Lincoln. Tennessee, for example, made slavery illegal by state law, during the war, but they continued to side with the confederacy and fight the union - that was not about slavery and plantations.

If you have convinced yourself "the South" was about that tiny minority who lived on plantations, owned slaves and grew cotton, then you don't even begin to get it. Those were not the people who joined up to fight the Yankees, so ask yourself why the poor were fighting for the south and why that doesn't add up to the myth you have been fed.

Uncontrolled, unaccountable government spending + Graduated income-tax = SLAVERY
Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 06:39   #120
Big Bird
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubudd View Post
You're saying the american civil war was about slavery and calling somebody else delusional for posting historical tripe? That's beautiful.
The South fought the war to preserve slavery as an institution. The North fought it to preserve the Union.

If you doubt that I would encourage you to read the transcripts of speeches by numerous Southern agitators to various state legislatures arguing for succession and war. Or read the "Cornerstone" speech by the Confederate vice president Alexander Stephens... http://teachingamericanhistory.org/l...rstone-speech/ The words of Southern politicians regarding the cause for the war were clear and unambiguous and do not agree with the premise that the cause of the war was anything BUT slavery. . At least they were clear until after the war when the southern revisionist history movement got its start and they conveniently changed their tune. I'd be happy to post their comments here and embarrass you more if you'd prefer.

We didn't fight a war in which a half million men died over a tariff, or railroads, or "state's rights"...

Anyone who studied the history of this nation between its founding and the civil war understands that the #1 political issue of this nation for its first 70 years was the issue of slavery.

“Est Nulla Via Invia Virute”
Big Bird is offline   Reply With Quote