Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-15-2014, 19:53   #41
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
There is a good reason our military continues to honor confederate leaders.
I have no issue with the individuals who were actually involved. They believed what they believed. They fought for what they thought was right at the time.

I can even see why we have statues to some of them. Lee had skills.

I have relatives who fought on both sides.
Old 02-15-2014, 19:55   #42
kahrcarrier
FAHRENHEIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentucky Shooter View Post
Observations:

1) the civil war is over--- ended in 1865
2) none of us were here when it was fought
3) if born here, we are all Americans according to the constitution; regardless of whether great, great, great, great, grandpa wore the blue or gray
4) civil war history is a relevant topic in history to study, appreciate, and learn from. Just like all the other major events that have made us what we are.
5) we need to realize the civil war history brings out different emotions from americans than any other war.
6) regardless of where our ancestors stood in the civil war, americans from both sides have since shared foxholes in other wars, probably Americans with ancestry from both sides were victims at Pearl Harbor, 9/11, etc...and Americans have since worked side by side together in industry and other fields to help make our country what it is today.

Isn't it time to quit fighting the civil war? Sure, pass along the history, but why not spare the hatred? I know, some will never give it up and will continue passing it to their children. But it is nice to dream.

Great post. Thank you.
kahrcarrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 20:00   #43
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
I was born in America and the confederacy doesn't exist anymore. That is no reason I can't wish it was still around and realize there isn't a confederacy to move to. You don't have to be very smart to figure that out, unless you are just being intentionally dense.
I find it hypocritical for anyone to enjoy the benefits of a nation and bad mouth a critical time that got them there.
Old 02-15-2014, 20:02   #44
Atlas
transmogrifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBlue View Post
I find it hypocritical for anyone to enjoy the benefits of a nation and bad mouth a critical time that got them there.
This is the way you feel about it.
And you have the right to feel any way you wish.

Don't confuse your feelings with the fact of my rightful status as an American because of what I believe or how I feel.

Uncontrolled, unaccountable government spending + Graduated income-tax = SLAVERY
Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 20:14   #45
cdog533
Zombie Killer

I hate to jump into this trollfest, but...

Support of the Confederacy typically means support of the idea of states rights, and the idea that people can get fed up an go tell the federal government to go **** itself.

It's support of freedom and having a rebellious spirit, and making a stand against what you consider to be tyrannical behavior.

It's not a support of slavery, or white power, etc.... that's all liberal hyperbole designed to make rebellious, freedom lovers appear to be mouth-breathing racists that want slavery back...
Old 02-15-2014, 20:21   #46
snerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdog533 View Post
I hate to jump into this trollfest....
And there we have it.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Ohub Campfire mobile app
snerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 20:26   #47
AK_Stick
AAAMAD

Send a message via AIM to AK_Stick Send a message via Yahoo to AK_Stick
Quote:
For those born in the south, I mean if the Confederates were successful, you wouldn't be an American. If you were lucky, you would be a confederate. If you were unlucky, you could be Mexican or a German or....

Thats a great leap.

In all likelyhood, had the confederates won, they'd likely have re-joined the union at some point down the road, with the conditions of retaining their precious "states rights".

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children may have peace"

Last edited by AK_Stick; 02-15-2014 at 20:28..
AK_Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 20:39   #48
selogic

Quote:
If you were born in Africa and moved to America and got citizenship, it is meaningful.

If you were born in America, you are an American. You are not an African American, no matter what the media says.

Or the politicians ...
selogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 20:41   #49
Johnny Ringo

Quote:
It is not a civil war thread.

It is an I am an American when it suits me and a Confederate when it doesn't, thread.
No... It's a "You're an idiot. No, YOU'RE and idiot. No, YOU'RE AN IDIOT. NO, YOU'RE AN IDIOT." thread. Just like so many on this Forum. I've never seen a finer collection of geniuses and Opinion Police anywhere on the planet.

Last edited by Johnny Ringo; 02-15-2014 at 20:41..
Johnny Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 20:46   #50
rock_castle

Isn't it kinda late to be asking this question?
rock_castle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 20:46   #51
Spiffums
I.C.P.

What ya think the A in CSA stood for?

The Civil war was like all wars. It was fought over Politics. The more slave states that entered the Union swing Southern control of Congress more and more to the South....... Not much different from today. Do you think the Democrats would hold such sway today if they hadn't "enslaved" the welfare bracket?

I know I know you all read on the internet or was told in history class how it was ALLL about the blacks and how every single freaking person North of the Mason/Dixion line was ready to fight and die so the slaves could be free. At the same time they pretty much worked the Irish and the rest of the immigrates into the ground for less than a slave "earned" when you counted food shelter and clothing.

Lincoln didn't intent to free the slaves until it because politically acceptable to do so. He also intended to ship them all back to Africa........where they would have been killed or captured and sold as slaves again by the same fellow blacks who killed and captured them in the 1st place.
Old 02-15-2014, 20:52   #52
Bolboda

Quote:
Well, I have read that the confederate Army was the first on the continent to let free black soldiers serve in combat for pay. Not to mention being the most favorable to Jews (the first Jewish U.S. Senator went with the south, where he became secretary of state) and the first to have Native American soldiers, including Brig. gen. Standhope Uwatie.

The red stars are for the civilized tribes and the Cherokee nation.
Political Issues

Hollywood would like to paint the south as "white supremacists" and try to equate them to modern white supremacists, but it was a lot different, according to history. The attitudes of northerners at the time were at least as racist, if not more so.
Yep, Iowa wouldn't allow Blacks in when it was first formed as a State.
Gore Vidal always argued it was an illegal war that Lincoln waged, moral questions aside.
Bolboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 20:58   #53
JuneyBooney

Quote:
It appears that we have several people who are Confederate Sympathizers on this board. They believe Lincoln was wrong in keeping the nation together.

Isn't it unAmerican to be a Confederate Sympathizer?

For those born in the south, I mean if the Confederates were successful, you wouldn't be an American. If you were lucky, you would be a confederate. If you were unlucky, you could be Mexican or a German or....
America is too diverse and will explode because of the diversity. Now you do realize that a lot of states are wanting to leave the Us now because of politics and even in Maryland there are counties wanting to leave the state. Slavery was just one issue but even White females were enslaved in America later than the Blacks. Yes, I am a Confederate Sympathizer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Cool songs:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Cool car:
JuneyBooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 21:00   #54
HollowHead
Firm member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneyBooney View Post
America is too diverse and will explode because of the diversity. Now you do realize that a lot of states are wanting to leave the Us now because of politics and even in Maryland there are counties wanting to leave the state. Slavery was just one issue but even White females were enslaved in America later than the Blacks. Yes, I am a Confederate Sympathizer.
HH

Sent from two coffee cans connected by a string.
HollowHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 21:02   #55
norton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolboda View Post
Yep, Iowa wouldn't allow Blacks in when it was first formed as a State.
Gore Vidal always argued it was an illegal war that Lincoln waged, moral questions aside.
Gore Vidal also claimed FDR knew about the planned attack on Pearl Harbor, that Truman ignored pleas by the Japanese to surrender so he could drop the A bomb to scare the Russians, and that George W Bush should have been impeached for war crimes. That pretty much sums up his "intellect".
Old 02-15-2014, 21:03   #56
oldgraywolf
NRA, SAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollowHead View Post
HH
You're being kind.

definatally
rediculas
theirs'
oldgraywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 21:08   #57
glockout

If you are born in the Americas... North America or South America, you are an American.
glockout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 21:09   #58
HollowHead
Firm member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgraywolf View Post
You're being kind.
If I have a fault, it's pity. HH

Sent from two coffee cans connected by a string.

Last edited by HollowHead; 02-15-2014 at 22:45..
HollowHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 21:12   #59
Mrs.Cicero
Wayward Member

Slavery is wrong. Secession is a right. I am an American.

"Oh bother," said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Mrs.Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 21:19   #60
ken grant

Trade with Europe was the reason for the Civil War.

The North had Industry, Europe had Industry so nothing to trade.

The South had farm and timber products which Europe wanted and the North was being starved out.