Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-16-2014, 19:40   #251
Big Bird
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
So, to summarize, when I point out that some northern states never took steps to make slavery illegal under state law, you say I need to quit paying attention to primary resources on the history and that I need to consider the more complex reasons why....

Yet when we say you people need to consider the more complex reasons the south left the union, beyond "they wanted slaves" - yep, that's different.

The fact remains that some northern states, including the capitol of the Union, kept legal slavery until it was abolished by constitutional amendment, even thought they could have abolished it at any time. If the political situation in the north was such that they couldn't do that, doesn't that undercut a lot of the "north good and pure/south bad an racist" nonsense everyone likes to repeat?
Thank you for making my point. Anyone who looks at the whole thing as a giant good vs evil right vs wrong contest has got it wrong. Lots of warts and ugly things on both sides of the contest.

“Est Nulla Via Invia Virute”
Big Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 20:22   #252
Bolboda

Lincoln did not have the authority to wage war on the states who left the Union.

I'll go out on a limb and call that "wrong".
Bolboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 20:25   #253
itisbruno
CLM Number 103
Devious Member

Sweet Tea, anyone??

Or, maybe a Mint Julep?

Click HERE
daily to give food for animals in a shelter or sanctuary...for FREE

Last edited by itisbruno; 02-16-2014 at 20:25..
itisbruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 20:32   #254
Gray_Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiro Fijo View Post
Political Issues

Yes. Forced starvation. The cold blooded murder of thousands of innocent civilians, the destruction of billions of dollars of privately owned property, (then against international law), the wanton shelling of American cities, is always the American way when one side stands up for our loss of our constutitional republic and the destruction of our dearest rights by a sitting president from his 1st day in office.

Sure, we have our hates, but we came by them fair and square. There is a reason for the rancor, and it will be in existance till "God shall wipe all tears from their eyes.."

Gray_Rider
Old 02-16-2014, 20:35   #255
Cashgap

Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy View Post
The likes of Robert E. Lee and Nathan Bedford Forrest referred to it as the Civil War. Would you disagree with Southern icons such as them?
Well, sure. Wrong is wrong. We know what a civil war is, and even the most rabid Lincoln apologist would not believe that the Union and the Confederacy were fighting for control of the USA, rather than for secession.

"War Between The States" is an accurate and value-neutral label.

NRA Instructor, TN Handgun Carry Instructor, Glock Armorer, Certified Merger & Acquisition Advisor, Certified Lease Professional, Bunburner 1500 Gold rider, C&R FFL, N8ZTE, MBA, MACC = One of a kind
Cashgap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 20:50   #256
Sainte

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneyBooney View Post
You can actually see numerous Rebel Flags in Pennsylvania too. Lots of sympathizers exist.

you only have to drive thru north philly to understand why....
Sainte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 21:01   #257
JuneyBooney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolboda View Post
Lincoln did not have the authority to wage war on the states who left the Union.

I'll go out on a limb and call that "wrong".
It was "wrong" and if you read 'Lincoln" you will see that he wanted to punish the south and inflict serious injuries to the southern soldiers. He was not a good man.
JuneyBooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 21:03   #258
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntaxerrorsix View Post
Yeah because killing Americans it's always a good thing isn't it?

Amazing.
I guess it depends on who they are.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Walker_Lindh

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dzhokhar_and_Tamerlan_Tsarnaev

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timothy_McVeigh
Old 02-16-2014, 21:06   #259
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Bring it on...
We got more rifles down here now than you could have ever imagined exists on the entire planet. You know, those fancy repeating rifles...

And I personally have more than 10,000 rounds of 5.56 I'm willing to lend to the cause.

OK,

Political Issues

If you want to pick a fight with the Federal Gov. This is what I expect to happen.

Last edited by RWBlue; 02-16-2014 at 21:07..
RWBlue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 21:08   #260
glockout

Tyro come down. we are ready this time.
My great grandmothers parents had their only milk cow killed for meat for the union military. No milk for the babies.

They survived but not because of your hero.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiro Fijo View Post
Political Issues
glockout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 22:11   #261
Paul7
New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBlue View Post
1789 those living in the United States and professing how they wanted to go back to British Rule were traitors.

1972 Jane Fonda was a....

2014 those living in the United States ......
In 1776, about a third of Americans supported the British, a third the Revolution, and the rest didn't care. If it wasn't for the French we would never have pulled it off.

Personally, I don't see how Canada, Australia, or New Zealand have suffered for not having had a violent separation from England.

Last edited by Paul7; 02-16-2014 at 22:13..
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 22:15   #262
Tiro Fijo

The Secesh fired the first shot and the Yanks finished it. Get over it. You lost. Feel lucky that the entire population wasn't put to the sword and that the Secesh leaders weren't summarily hung as traitors.

http://people.cohums.ohio-state.edu/.../myth/myth.htm
Tiro Fijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 22:18   #263
HollowHead
Firm member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray_Rider View Post
Yes. Forced starvation. The cold blooded murder of thousands of innocent civilians, the destruction of billions of dollars of privately owned property, (then against international law), the wanton shelling of American cities...
Gray_Rider
Lob a few shells on somebody's fort and this kind of stuff happens. HH

Sent from two coffee cans connected by a string.
HollowHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 22:33   #264
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul7 View Post
In 1776, about a third of Americans supported the British, a third the Revolution, and the rest didn't care. If it wasn't for the French we would never have pulled it off.

Personally, I don't see how Canada, Australia, or New Zealand have suffered for not having had a violent separation from England.
I think your estimations are high for the % who cared.

If England was closer or there was a telegraph to England or there ships were faster, I don't know if the USA would exist.

I was talking about citizens of the newly formed USA.

But...I think every location is different. In areas where the majority of the population was historically from the Isles of England things were one way.. Should we talk about India, Iraq, Sierra Leone, Gold Coast, Nigeria, Sudan, Jamaica? The only thing worse than how Britain released colonies from the empire was how the French did it.
Old 02-16-2014, 22:51   #265
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockout View Post
My great grandmothers parents had their only milk cow killed for meat for the union military. No milk for the babies.

The cow proved to be a vital military resource and couldn't be left behind to be used by the enemy.

Sherman proved unrestricted warfare can win a war. If we had used the same tactics in Vietnam we would have won (OR got us into a Nuclear war).
Old 02-16-2014, 23:00   #266
ULVER
Dixie Rebel

Send a message via Yahoo to ULVER

In memory of Off. Steven Trindle
In memory of Det. Dennis C. Stepnowski
ULVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 23:05   #267
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneyBooney View Post
It was "wrong" and if you read 'Lincoln" you will see that he wanted to punish the south and inflict serious injuries to the southern soldiers. He was not a good man.
Considering some things that have been posted on this board about how we should treat all Afgans or Iraqis in the last couple years OR even German and Japanese who participated in WWII....I find Lincoln very reasonable.

Looking at his post war policy, it appears very lenient. The south may have been better off not assassinating Lincoln.
Old 02-16-2014, 23:34   #268
glocking26

I wish I was born and raised in the south not up here.
glocking26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 00:31   #269
hotrodtrk

I'm not in any way a history buff and the posters here know way more than I do. But to be honest, I'm kinda tired of all the fighting. It sickens me sometimes to have to CC just to be safe. It seems we are just a hair above Neanderthal on the evolutionary ladder. It's history, done, and we will hopefully move on as humans to try and at least work together and stop the total control of our lives by 535 or so members in our capital. Man what we could accomplish if all the fighting would stop and we ban together to seriously improve our lives. I know it's a pipe dream. Ian by no means a pacifist, just wish we would move on as a society and start bettering ourselves.
hotrodtrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 00:39   #270
Syclone0538

It's amazing to me that with how easy it is to learn a little about it and not just fall for the propaganda, that so many people still believe the fairy tale.
Syclone0538 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 01:07   #271
JuneyBooney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainte View Post
you only have to drive thru north philly to understand why....
Philly and Baltimore have a lot in common and both are not very nice from personal observation.
JuneyBooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 01:24   #272
Blast
'nuff said

Give it a rest.

Political Issues
Old 02-17-2014, 04:01   #273
AK_Stick
AAAMAD

Send a message via AIM to AK_Stick Send a message via Yahoo to AK_Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Bring it on...
We got more rifles down here now than you could have ever imagined exists on the entire planet. You know, those fancy repeating rifles...

And I personally have more than 10,000 rounds of 5.56 I'm willing to lend to the cause.

I've seen what happens during southern deer season. You'd just lose a second time.

That'd really be depressing.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children may have peace"
AK_Stick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 04:33   #274
CAcop

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockout View Post

Cow milk is bad for babies.
I wonder if your assessment of "The Wizard of Oz" would sound something like "A teenaged orphan runs away with three psychotic AD/HD patients and a little dog. She kills the first two women she meets." --Sinecure 07/03/2006
Freakin' awsome!! Kickin it old school. Hot sheet on the dash. The report was probably only two sentences. Long live Rencko and Bobbie Hill!--WhiskeyT
CAcop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 05:08   #275
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul7 View Post

Then you haven't been paying attention to CA, AU and NZ lately. Something is wrong in all the former Brit colonies and it looks a lot like what is wrong in England.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire