SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-20-2014, 16:17   #1
rednoved
NRA Member

Gun Control Material

You guys seem pretty well versed in all things gun control. I have to write a research paper for a course I am taking, which requires me to use journal articles. My topic is gun control. Does anyone have some good scholarly journal articles they can recommend, link to, or provide. Most of you know how professors are about source material.

If you don't have any journal recommendations, but have some other material that would be helpful to the argument, I would appreciate any suggestions. Any good reads or statistical information can help, but the professor requires a minimum number or journals for support.

Thanks!
rednoved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 16:37   #2
SC Tiger
Some say...

deleted

Quote:
If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

Last edited by SC Tiger; 02-20-2014 at 16:37..
SC Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 17:31   #3
RagnarDanneskjold
Pirate

"More Guns, Less Crime" by John Lott, is not only worth citing itself, but his foot-note and reference list is huge, and fairly exhaustive, although somewhat dated. Believe the book is available in an e-version. Also, the CDC's recent report on the subject is worth referencing.
Old 02-20-2014, 17:39   #4
professorpinki
Bumbling idjit

There's a series of books called opposing viewpoints that has articles on firearms ownership, pulled from scholarly articles.

John Lott crushes anti-firearms people in it, if you ask me... but you didn't.

Last edited by professorpinki; 02-20-2014 at 17:40..
professorpinki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 18:00   #5
Buki192327

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagnarDanneskjold View Post
"More Guns, Less Crime" by John Lott, is not only worth citing itself, but his foot-note and reference list is huge, and fairly exhaustive, although somewhat dated. Believe the book is available in an e-version. Also, the CDC's recent report on the subject is worth referencing.
Winner!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Club #46
Buki192327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 18:33   #6
rednoved
NRA Member

Quote:

Thanks! When I did a Google Scholar search earlier, that was the second result that popped up. I read the preview and saw that he mentioned his previous work in a couple of journals. I may go ahead and purchase that book now. I will see if I can't find his original journal work to appease my professor.
Old 02-20-2014, 18:40   #7
rednoved
NRA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by professorpinki View Post
There's a series of books called opposing viewpoints that has articles on firearms ownership, pulled from scholarly articles.

John Lott crushes anti-firearms people in it, if you ask me... but you didn't.

I can't seem locate Opposing Viewpoints in my Google search.

When I used the schools journal search engine, they only had one result available. It was called Points of View: Gun Control. Great Neck Publishing. It seems to be a collection of articles. Is that the same thing you are referring to?
Old 02-20-2014, 18:41   #8
RagnarDanneskjold
Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednoved View Post
Thanks! When I did a Google Scholar search earlier, that was the second result that popped up. I read the preview and saw that he mentioned his previous work in a couple of journals. I may go ahead and purchase that book now. I will see if I can't find his original journal work to appease my professor.
Welcome. If you search just his name, you may have better luck finding the straight journal entries, but the bibliography in the book lists the work of many others as references he used, plus a lot of straight data from FBI and other gov. agencies. E-books are (relatively) cheap and provide instant access. The book is well worth reading, all schoolwork aside. It is very dry, though, not a real page-turner, so don't try to read it in bed.
Old 02-20-2014, 18:53   #9
Spiffums
I.C.P.

Be prepared for a bad grade no matter how good the paper is. Most teachers aren't interested in hearing about "guns".
Old 02-20-2014, 18:57   #10
rednoved
NRA Member

Quote:
Welcome. If you search just his name, you may have better luck finding the straight journal entries, but the bibliography in the book lists the work of many others as references he used, plus a lot of straight data from FBI and other gov. agencies. E-books are (relatively) cheap and provide instant access. The book is well worth reading, all schoolwork aside. It is very dry, though, not a real page-turner, so don't try to read it in bed.

E-books are great. Especially when working on papers. It's nice to have the source material on one monitor and Word on the other. It makes quoting source material nice. I purchased the e-book of More Guns, Less Crime for about $10. Hard to beat that. Thanks again.
Old 02-20-2014, 19:00   #11
rednoved
NRA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffums View Post
Be prepared for a bad grade no matter how good the paper is. Most teachers aren't interested in hearing about "guns".

I was slightly concerned about it to tell you the truth. This teacher is a hunter though, so I am hoping he actually appreciates guns.
Old 02-20-2014, 19:02   #12
vikingsoftpaw

I recommend John Lott's work. Don Kates had done much research in to the subject matter too.

David B. Kopel's book 'The Samurai, The Mountie and the Cowboy'. One sixth of the book is listing for his sources. He does an excellent job of putting firearms ownership and crime into context of each country he cites.

"Though defensive violence will always be 'a sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." - St. Augustine

Last edited by vikingsoftpaw; 02-20-2014 at 19:07..
vikingsoftpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 19:05   #13
Bruce M

Quote:
I was slightly concerned about it to tell you the truth. This teacher is a hunter though, so I am hoping he actually appreciates guns.
That may help a bit but I agree that in general our side of this debate would usually fare poorly in academic circles.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 03:18   #14
HerrGlock
CLM Number 2
Scouts Out

http://www.justfacts.com/guncontrol.asp
http://www.guncite.com/

http://thinkprogress.org/gun-debate-guide/#
http://vpc.org/
HerrGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 06:09   #15
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
If the teacher is pro-gun (being a hunter isn't a guarantee) it could boost your grade higher than you deserve, but if the teacher is anti-gun it could lower your grade. I learned long ago that agreeing with the teacher's opinion is at least a letter grade of difference.

I am "rabidly" pro death penalty, but in law school I wrote a rabidly anti-death penalty paper for 4 hours credit. It was all about the racism in the death penalty, prosecutorial misconduct, etc. All of that is complete nonsense, but the statistics can say whatever you want them to say and the teacher was a black anti-death penalty activist from California. I got an A. On the plus side, being able to represent a viewpoint I don't agree with is part of being a competent lawyer.

Last edited by Bren; 02-21-2014 at 06:10..
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 06:50   #16
Taipei Personality

Stephen P. Halbrook is an researcher worth taking a look at, especially his book, "That Every Man be Armed". I used it as the basis for a paper when I was in college and even won a small honorarium with it. "Gun Control in the Third Reich" is his most recent and it is an excellent, well-researched study.

(W)hen I feel the hand of power lie heavy on my brow, I care but little to know who oppresses me; and I am not the more disposed to pass beneath the yoke because it is held out to me by the arms of a million men. - Alexis de Tocqueville
Taipei Personality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 11:01   #17
FriarTuck

The NRA's monthly magazine(s) is a source (for example, America's First Freedom). No doubt, so is their website.

JPFO (Jews for the Preservation of Firearms Ownership) also has a good website (I haven't visited it for a long time, but I suppose it's still there).

WND's monthly magazine, Whistleblower, sometimes cites good material on gun control. For example, the Sept 2013 issue notes on page 7, "Virtually all of the serious, scholarly research done for the past three decades on the relationship between firearms and crime shows that more guns in the hands of law-abiding citizens (especially concealed-carry handguns) results in less crime. And yet, there is a never-ending push to take firearms out of the hands of law-abiding citizens -to "fight crime"."

Good luck with your paper.
FriarTuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 11:23   #18
Johnny Ringo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffums View Post
Precisely my thoughts!
Johnny Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 12:31   #19
Jade Falcon
49er Loyal

Try this site out. If nothing else, it should confirm to you just how stupid these people are.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/
Old 02-21-2014, 14:14   #20
Henry's Dad
woof, woof

Do NOT use NRA magazines for an academic project. Your professor will rightly laugh you out of class. Get on Google Scholar, JSTOR or Lexis and get real academic articles or law review articles.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Ohub Campfire mobile app
Henry's Dad is online now   Reply With Quote