SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-13-2014, 06:56   #101
JMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. VR View Post
Intellectually I know that everyone is closed today, but it's stressing me because they specifically wanted me there earlier this morning, only do infusions 1x week and they better the heck not try to charge me for a missed visit or be snotty that I didn't leave a message when I can't get anyone to TAKE a message!! Also, I'm overly emotional.
I was just out there dropping my wife off at work (R.N.) The only vehicles getting through this are 4x4. Even the main roads have a good 3-4 inches on them, the side roads aren't even touched and they easily have a foot of snow.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by JMS; 02-13-2014 at 06:58..
JMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 07:08   #102
dryfly
Platinum Membership

14 inches and blizzard conditions on the way for today.
I am thinking about doing some damn groundhog hunting.
dryfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 07:24   #103
nursetim

Ice seems to have melted in my neiborhood.
nursetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:02   #104
jdavionic
NRA Member

Light snow happening this morning. Trees have a layer of ice and snow now. Winds are supposed to pick up this afternoon. At least the additional icing has stopped.

"No matter how bad it gets, if you're still alive it's just another bad day."
jdavionic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:13   #105
filthy infidel
100% Infidel

Here in northern Raleigh we've got five or six inches of snow/sleet and maybe 1/4" of ice on everything. We have power, with two gennies on stand by you never lose it. Of course my sister with a one year old has lost power, and despite my brother and I chastising her over her lack of preparedness she's done nothing.....

I did screw up big time yesterday- they told us we could leave work whenever we wanted, I didn't want to be 'that guy' who left early so I waited until the radar showed the snow close by. Gander Mountain is five minutes from work and it was my birthday so I thought heck I'd just pop in and see what they had. Then the snow came in full force, I was in and out of the store in five minutes but the roads were covered with snow and foolish drivers. Folks were just stopped with 200 yards between cars, talking on the phone...

Google traffic maps was helpful as was listening to the local FD/PD and the skywarn spotters. I navigated as best I could to the airport- clear sailing there but got bogged down near the ATC tower- buses were stuck trying to get employees to the parking lot. I gave three a lift and waited in the line to get onto the main road that's just three miles from home.

Pure gridlock, there was just one blockage a half mile ahead and the PD said that traffic was getting through, just slowly.
Having four wheel drive was just awesome- I had powerbars and water, most of a tank of gas, and time. Five hours later I pulled in the driveway.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:34   #106
ARP

Anyone listen to Joe Bastardi?

Weather guy. He says that this is what winters were like in the 60's/70's, and then gives a good logical explanation why. Those were the years of my youth. I remember them well. Would get to play pond hockey all winter, sled ride, etc. This is what winter is supposed to be.
ARP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:22   #107
capnjim01

Quote:
Originally Posted by filthy infidel View Post
Here in northern Raleigh we've got five or six inches of snow/sleet and maybe 1/4" of ice on everything. We have power, with two gennies on stand by you never lose it. Of course my sister with a one year old has lost power, and despite my brother and I chastising her over her lack of preparedness she's done nothing.....

I did screw up big time yesterday- they told us we could leave work whenever we wanted, I didn't want to be 'that guy' who left early so I waited until the radar showed the snow close by. Gander Mountain is five minutes from work and it was my birthday so I thought heck I'd just pop in and see what they had. Then the snow came in full force, I was in and out of the store in five minutes but the roads were covered with snow and foolish drivers. Folks were just stopped with 200 yards between cars, talking on the phone...

Google traffic maps was helpful as was listening to the local FD/PD and the skywarn spotters. I navigated as best I could to the airport- clear sailing there but got bogged down near the ATC tower- buses were stuck trying to get employees to the parking lot. I gave three a lift and waited in the line to get onto the main road that's just three miles from home.

Pure gridlock, there was just one blockage a half mile ahead and the PD said that traffic was getting through, just slowly.
Having four wheel drive was just awesome- I had powerbars and water, most of a tank of gas, and time. Five hours later I pulled in the driveway.
I was watching that last night you guys got hammered worse than Atlanta did last time, here in the Piedmont area we had about 200 people either just left their cars in the road or sat there until police could rescue them. I carry an emergency bag in the car but I need to add a couple of items to it but I don't need to go anywhere until Saturday and maybe not even then. Stay safe.
capnjim01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:27   #108
Rabid Rabbit

Southern Frederick county MD: We have at least 18 inches, measured two hours ago and the real kicker is, ice is mixed in the snow for the last 5 hours. I shoveled the walk but left a couple inches of snow so the ice doesn't stick to the walk.
Rabid Rabbit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:34   #109
Rabid Rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by nursetim View Post
Why aren't the power companies scanning the lines and cutting anything that overhangs them. I know it won't eliminate outages, but it seems like it would cut the numbers down pretty good.
I told a crew about a 6-8 inch tree leaning on a power line that I noticed just 5 minutes earlier. They said they already patrolled that section and there are no trees leaning on power lines. I just shook my head and left, they just didn't care.
Rabid Rabbit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:42   #110
Mrs. VR
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Rabbit View Post
Southern Frederick county MD: We have at least 18 inches, measured two hours ago and the real kicker is, ice is mixed in the snow for the last 5 hours. I shoveled the walk but left a couple inches of snow so the ice doesn't stick to the walk.
You know, we are almost neighbors : faint:

I THINK we dodged most of the ice though. I haven't gone out yet so I'm not 100% sure. Will be sending out a small person to measure soon.

90/9/1

Mrs. VR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:56   #111
ithaca_deerslayer

Might get 1.5 feet of snow. Already have about a 1 foot still on the ground from last week. Neato.

I have a running trail around my pasture. It is plowed (by me), and I ran 3 miles this morning as the snow was falling. After this storm, I'll have to use the snowblower because I don't think my plow has any room left to push the snow off the trail

Honestly, that's the only annoyance with the snow, just the question of how much it will affect my running. The skiing hasn't been an issue.
ithaca_deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 10:43   #112
filthy infidel
100% Infidel

A neighbor called an asked me if I'd mind giving him a ride to pick up his SUV abandoned down the road. Got him to his vehicle and picked up a guy walking down the road with a shovel on the way back- he was going to dig out his vehicle. His vehicle was not where he left it but on a side street- the tow guys just moved it away from the main road.
Did the same for another walker so I have some good karma coming my way.
Stopped at the grocery store for kicks on the way home- meat/milk/bread/beer aisles decimated....
Old 02-13-2014, 10:45   #113
happyguy
Man, I'm Pretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithaca_deerslayer View Post
Might get 1.5 feet of snow. Already have about a 1 foot still on the ground from last week. Neato.

I have a running trail around my pasture. It is plowed (by me), and I ran 3 miles this morning as the snow was falling. After this storm, I'll have to use the snowblower because I don't think my plow has any room left to push the snow off the trail

Honestly, that's the only annoyance with the snow, just the question of how much it will affect my running. The skiing hasn't been an issue.
I lived in Mississippi when I was training for ultra's and mostly trained on a fairly rugged 6.3 mile horse trail.

I remember one year going out on a run on New Years day. It had snowed the night before and I was the first one on the trail. It was totally gorgeous in the forest and the only tracks in the snow was from the deer and other animals.
It was almost as memorable as my run through the same forest during a tornado.
Regards,
Happyguy
Proverbs 21:31 The horse is prepared against the day of battle: but victory is of the LORD.

"I refuse to tip-toe through life only to arrive at death safely."

Last edited by happyguy; 02-13-2014 at 10:45..
happyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 10:55   #114
smokeross
GTDS Member #49

We got a skiff of snow last night. 1st in a month.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:59   #115
ithaca_deerslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyguy View Post
I lived in Mississippi when I was training for ultra's and mostly trained on a fairly rugged 6.3 mile horse trail.

I remember one year going out on a run on New Years day. It had snowed the night before and I was the first one on the trail. It was totally gorgeous in the forest and the only tracks in the snow was from the deer and other animals.
It was almost as memorable as my run through the same forest during a tornado.
Regards,
Happyguy
I'm always seeing interesting tracks. Hard to resist the urge to stop and examine them in detail. I stop for bear tracks

Last edited by ithaca_deerslayer; 02-13-2014 at 11:00..
ithaca_deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 15:14   #116
*ASH*
MEMBER OF 601

well we made it thru PAX ok , im damn shocked we never lost power . my daughter did down toward wilmington ,NC . its 56 here today and roads clear .

all those up north another storm is heading for yall , we will only get rain . stay safe

i did have one casualty yesterday while using my box blade to clear our long driveway and my moms driveway i frigging caught a root and snapped the tongue clean off . so i got some welding to do .

we might hit 70 this week
Old 02-14-2014, 17:16   #117
jdavionic
NRA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by *ASH* View Post
well we made it thru PAX ok , im damn shocked we never lost power . my daughter did down toward wilmington ,NC . its 56 here today and roads clear .

all those up north another storm is heading for yall , we will only get rain . stay safe

i did have one casualty yesterday while using my box blade to clear our long driveway and my moms driveway i frigging caught a root and snapped the tongue clean off . so i got some welding to do .

we might hit 70 this week
We emerged pretty well too. I saw an accident at 6am due to black ice, but the roads are clear now. I've got to head to NW GA early tomorrow morning. I believe they are slated for rain tonight and then freezing temps. Hopefully no problems tomorrow morning.

"No matter how bad it gets, if you're still alive it's just another bad day."
jdavionic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 17:29   #118
JMS

We got about 16 inches here, my parents who live 20 minutes away got 24!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by JMS; 02-14-2014 at 17:30..
JMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 17:56   #119
Huaco Kid

I spent four hours stopped on I-80 in eastern PA yesterday, after four semis tied themselves into a knot.

I was stopped, maybe, 100 yards behind the show.

If I were four minutes faster, I would have been in front of it and, maybe, home free.

If I were two minutes faster, I would have been like a sardine in a mini-van.

(I was east-bound. Immediately across from us (five minutes later) was another impressive semi-truck hockey game.)
Huaco Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 20:31   #120
ARP

It ain't over yet

Today I drove my bus from Cleveland to Indy. Supposed to be 2 little no nothing clipper systems. I70 shut down 50 miles east of Indy, snowed heavily and accumulated about 3" on the road, then packed and froze, 18*F. Why road closed? Because knuckleheads driving beyond their abilities, so the thousands of cars to their rear sat for 1.5 hour. All the time, fuel, etc. And if they had just slowed to about 30 mph all would have been okay.
ARP is online now   Reply With Quote